Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
The Argos could probably easily have acquired both Messam (in his prime) or Bridge, but the people running CFL teams have mostly little to no use for signing local guys who are quality players and who could maybe help their team - on the field and with marketing. The Argos have never had any use for this concept, but have always been on the all-american hero saviour band-wagon. The Bummers may be buying into this concept some - with Harris, Demski, LaFrance in the fold, but I'm not sure it is part of a real plan (dullard Walters could have drafted Winnipeg native Jordan Herdman as a MLB prospect a couple of years back, but i guess chose to write-off his outstanding college ball D resume cause of his 40 time; so he could draft back-ups or special teamers only).

CFL teams saying Canadian talent is so important & critical to them, continues to be mostly a tired cliche or fairy-tale. Desjardins & Campbell in Ottawa is showing their GOB favortism towards any import players they can find and hand playing time to mostly when he has the option to give playing time to some Canadian talent (they won the GC in starting 10 to 12 NIs - not just 7 = morons) but maybe some Ottawa fans rally to Sinopoli and now young kicker Lewis Ward being key parts of their team? Still a far cry from the days of the likes Russ Jackson, Ronnie Stewart, Whit Tucker, Moe Racine, Joe Poirier, Wayne Giardino, Gerry Organ - being key, star Canadian fixtures on a powerhouse team.
I have highlighted the ironic part of the above post.