Thread: Duron Carter

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    This is all a smoke screen. The first part of the smoke screen was not having Carter in the lineup, and losing, so as to give the Ti-Cats a false sense of superiority so that the Argos can win on Saturday. An ingenious plan!

God, when you are 3-6 you play the guy. There's no more what ifs,because the what ifs already happened. I appreciate the fact that there may be something we really don't know that the coaching staff does, but on face value this is dumb. This is not a guy new to Canadian football, and is not a guy who hasn't played in a year. As a fan I want to know the explanation as to why this guy didn't play right away. If there is some sort of reason, then I need to question why he was signed to begin with.
    I can understand sitting Carter out last game but the plan to have him miss both Hamilton games made no sense to me at all.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I can understand sitting Carter out last game but the plan to have him miss both Hamilton games made no sense to me at all.
    The problem IMO was that Trestman had a set pre determined date. All Trestman had to say was Carter most likely wouldn't play the first game (due to not being acclimated with the team), and keep it vague afterwards. So, say something like "we'll see where it goes from there", or something along those lines. One thing I'm finding is that it's very easy to tell who Trestman wants on his team and who he doesn't...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    At 3-6 (before the last game) I can't understand why they sat him the first game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    At 3-6 (before the last game) I can't understand why they sat him the first game.
    To learn the playbook?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    The problem IMO was that Trestman had a set pre determined date. All Trestman had to say was Carter most likely wouldn't play the first game (due to not being acclimated with the team), and keep it vague afterwards. So, say something like "we'll see where it goes from there", or something along those lines.
    Yes. Trestman's mistake was in projecting something too far into the future. While he might have preferred to sit Carter for two games, any number of unforeseeable things (including injuries) could have made it necessary to dress the guy in week 2. He left himself no wiggle room, which means he now appears to have backed away from his own philosophy. Not very professorial.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    As a fan I want to know the explanation as to why this guy didn't play right away. If there is some sort of reason, then I need to question why he was signed to begin with.
    We fans can want all kinds of info that we're never going to get. I wanted to know why they cut Cory Boyd in 2012 -- no explanation was ever forthcoming, and no explanation of this one will be forthcoming, either. We may buy the tickets that keep the team in business, but management is not directly accountable to fans.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think Trestman made another huge mistake in not starting Carter on Saturday. Even if he ran simple clearing routes all game, he would have taken away defenders and opened things up for the guys underneath all game, with the opportunity to maybe connect on a deep ball.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Last play he was in in, he looked lost, got tangled with Green and had no idea the ball was coming his way.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think Trestman made another huge mistake in not starting Carter on Saturday. Even if he ran simple clearing routes all game, he would have taken away defenders and opened things up for the guys underneath all game, with the opportunity to maybe connect on a deep ball.
    Should hve just started him instead of Smith IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    That was my feeling too.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree. Putting him mostly as a returner, at which he is below average as he is as a DB, almost seemed designed to allow Trestman to say "he wasn't a factor in the game". Carter had two passes thrown his way, one a long throw that did not connect, not because of Duron, but because BMT overthrew him. The second time the ball was also "well off-target". Sounds like the problem on the field lies somewhere else. So far, Carter is saying all the right things.

When it comes to Smith, I have never seen a player fall down so often after making a catch without anyone touching him as Smith and with his big body he is not one to get up quickly to pick up some yards. He also is slow. With or without Carter, can we just replace him.

“You could see he wasn’t a factor in our game, in terms of making plays,” said the coach. “He had the ball in his hands four or five times but it’s all new to him – our return team is new to him, our offence is new to him. So we’ll have a little more time next week to maybe do a little bit more when we get back to practice and we’ll see where that goes.” ...
    He came in with 6 1/2 minutes left in the first quarter and the ball at the Hamilton 29-yard line. Bethel-Thompson went straight to him, only to overthrow him slightly in the end zone with Mike Daly defending. ...

Sporadic kick return duties were mixed in with some tablet study on the bench and a lot of watching. With time counting down and Bethel-Thompson backed up to his goal-line, the quarterback tried to find Carter a second time but the pass was well off-target.
    Carter, hip-hop music quietly emanating from his phone at his BMO Field locker, said after the game he was comfortable in his new surroundings.

“I take everything play by play, really day by day, hour by hour,” said a smiling Carter, who wore his customary No. 89. “Whenever my name was called, I was just ready to get in there and do my thing.”
    He said he appreciated Trestman’s support in unveiling him a little sooner than originally earlier.
    “Whenever a coach’s behind you, you definitely feel that love and it makes you want to play harder.”
    http://3downnation.com/2018/09/10/du...r-argos-coach/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos go deep to Carter early and it almost connects for a TD; so why totally abandon this the rest of the game? Carter in there would at least scare the D some for the deep ball threat and open things up otherwise; being less & less impressed with Trestman as an offensive "thinker" - inspite of the GC with Ray at the helm last season and previous success with Calvillo in Montreal ... he needs to show way more offensive smarts without an all-time great vet QB to rely on. Time to switch back to Franklin and open the offence up to wayyyyy more diversity = not just Green & Wilder with the majority of touches; Duron Carter down field, Declan Cross several times a game, Noel is a load to bring down after catch, designed runs by Franklin - start getting them the ball with lots of different play calls and looks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Did Carter sign for more than the remainder of this abysmal season?

If he didn't, and this nonsense continues, he'll be gone.