Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    While I think the Argos may be able to build a good defensive backfield out of some combination of injured veterans and this year's rookies who have learned from their baptism of fire this year along with a few TC recruits, recruiting or signing strong rush DEs must be an imperative, as well as a strengthening of our LB corps. While I have great respect for the skills and grit of Bear Woods and Marcus Ball, injuries have taken their toll on their capabilities, so improving our LBs is also important.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    While I think the Argos may be able to build a good defensive backfield out of some combination of injured veterans and this year's rookies who have learned from their baptism of fire this year along with a few TC recruits, recruiting or signing strong rush DEs must be an imperative, as well as a strengthening of our LB corps. While I have great respect for the skills and grit of Bear Woods and Marcus Ball, injuries have taken their toll on their capabilities, so improving our LBs is also important.
    Marcus Ball can still play at a high level while providing leadership. Give him a system in which he can play in. No way I let him walk this off season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    IMO, the Argos erred big time by not starting Dowling at the boundary corner spot. Perhaps if they can lure Steinauer out of Hamilton, he will get that opportunity. Ever since Patrick Watkins came into the league with the Argos in 2012, a bigger, physical player on the boundary has been very successful in the league.

At this point, I would like to see a secondary with Dowling and Likely on the corners. Q Ford (field)and Darby (Boundary) at HB, and Gabriel at safety. I would also have no objections to Woodson over Likely at field corner, but Likely really impressed me before he was hurt. Trumane Washington in the mix, but I found him more hit and miss, and think both Darby and Ford are better than him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Marcus Ball can still play at a high level while providing leadership. Give him a system in which he can play in. No way I let him walk this off season.
    I agree. He had a bad year tackling wise, but I think it was a mere blip.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree. He had a bad year tackling wise, but I think it was a mere blip.
    I am not so sure I agree. IMO, his play fell off dramatically this year ... I am not convinced it was just a blip (was his "injury" that bad that he had to miss the rest of the season, or did they use the injury to save $ and play others?) ....and, he has a penchant for taking bad penalties. While I truly believed in his value as a leader in the locker room, some of his comments - in particular about his own ability - went over the top. For sure bring him back to training camp, but he has to prove himself again by winning the job through competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO, the Argos erred big time by not starting Dowling at the boundary corner spot. Perhaps if they can lure Steinauer out of Hamilton, he will get that opportunity. Ever since Patrick Watkins came into the league with the Argos in 2012, a bigger, physical player on the boundary has been very successful in the league.

At this point, I would like to see a secondary with Dowling and Likely on the corners. Q Ford (field)and Darby (Boundary) at HB, and Gabriel at safety. I would also have no objections to Woodson over Likely at field corner, but Likely really impressed me before he was hurt. Trumane Washington in the mix, but I found him more hit and miss, and think both Darby and Ford are better than him.
    Is TJ Heath a FA this off season?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I am not so sure I agree. IMO, his play fell off dramatically this year ... I am not convinced it was just a blip (was his "injury" that bad that he had to miss the rest of the season, or did they use the injury to save $ and play others?) ....and, he has a penchant for taking bad penalties. While I truly believed in his value as a leader in the locker room, some of his comments - in particular about his own ability - went over the top. For sure bring him back to training camp, but he has to prove himself again by winning the job through competition.
    Right on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Is TJ Heath a FA this off season?
    LOL. Been there, done that. Twice. I'm guessing he is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Are you forgetting about C. Vaughn ? - if he can bounce back from injury? Guy was a starter for 3 different NFL teams at corner (doubt that was some fluke) - why would he not be considered a top notch CFL corner, and why did the Argos have him moved around - playing some at safety or OLB ??? Let him play his real, natural position ?

I like Darby better somewhere in the D-backfield rather than at OLB; and Q. Ford was a real play-maker in that GC run; vet Ronnie Yell could still be in the mix; and Woodson & Washington have good potential. Gabriel at safety? - but IMO he could be a good fit at cover OLB, where he is good tackler and shown he can blitz well.

Bring in lots of competition for TC for sure, but IMO there is very good potential from the guys already around on the roster. Vaughn & Woodson/Washington at corners; Darby & Ford at D-half; maybe Gabriel at S, but if he could go at OLB, like to see a big hitter and ball hawk type safety found.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    ^^^^^

This - wouldn't give up on either of LB vets in Ball or Woods, but they have to prove themselves in real TC competition. And there have been some very good young OLBs emerge in the league lately - Thurman, Eguavoen, Ackie, Lokombo - all quite better than Ball played this past season IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Are you forgetting about C. Vaughn ? - if he can bounce back from injury? Guy was a starter for 3 different NFL teams at corner (doubt that was some fluke) - why would he not be considered a top notch CFL corner, and why did the Argos have him moved around - playing some at safety or OLB ??? Let him play his real, natural position ?

I like Darby better somewhere in the D-backfield rather than at OLB; and Q. Ford was a real play-maker in that GC run; vet Ronnie Yell could still be in the mix; and Woodson & Washington have good potential. Gabriel at safety? - but IMO he could be a good fit at cover OLB, where he is good tackler and shown he can blitz well.

Bring in lots of competition for TC for sure, but IMO there is very good potential from the guys already around on the roster. Vaughn & Woodson/Washington at corners; Darby & Ford at D-half; maybe Gabriel at S, but if he could go at OLB, like to see a big hitter and ball hawk type safety found.
    Some decent building blocks on the defensive backfield but let’s hope Popp brings in some good competition for training camp,
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Are you forgetting about C. Vaughn ? .
    Not at all. I have him at SAM, and not in the actual secondary.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I think you guys could go Canadian at WLB. You have the depth with Kwemo, Herdman, Harrington and Onyeka. I know they only had limited snaps, but none of them looked out of place when they did get reps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    I think you guys could go Canadian at WLB. You have the depth with Kwemo, Herdman, Harrington and Onyeka. I know they only had limited snaps, but none of them looked out of place when they did get reps.
    Welcome on board the somewhat leaky Argo ship. Hopefully it will be a lot better next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Anthony Combs re-signed today to an extension.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 11-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Anthony Combs resigned today to an extension.
    As did Lindon Gaydosh (although I'd spell it re-signed). Good asset management. As frustrated as we all are with Coombs' injury history, when healthy he is our best NAT receiver, and there would be a bunch of teams lined up trying to sign him if we were to let him walk. Gaydosh saw a fair bit of playing time and seemed to supplant Finley as the primary backup to Laing.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Anthony Combs re-signed today to an extension.
    So much for the rumour that FA's weren't going to resign or re-sign (lol) until the new contract with the League was in the books.
    It would be nice if both sides could sit down and come to a fair agreement and get on with taking the CFL to a higher level. Randy seems like that type of person, but he has to answer to the owners. A players strike will leave a bad taste in some fans mouth, but also likewise if the fans perceive the owners are short changing the players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    So much for the rumour that FA's weren't going to resign or re-sign (lol) until the new contract with the League was in the books.
    It would be nice if both sides could sit down and come to a fair agreement and get on with taking the CFL to a higher level. Randy seems like that type of person, but he has to answer to the owners. A players strike will leave a bad taste in some fans mouth, but also likewise if the fans perceive the owners are short changing the players.
    I think teams that have 2018 cap money remaining are using it as bonus money to sign players they really want to keep. Come January, I don't think you'll see any vets sign until a new CBA is done. Obviously, you won't see any big ticket guys (Reilly) sign now, because they are likely looking for 6 digit signing bonus. I'm betting Coombs may have received in the neighbourhood of 25k up front on a 100k deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Considering how weak our DEs were this year, I would like to see the Argos draft Laval DE Mathieu Betts, who won the USports Outstanding Lineman for a record third year in a row, in the first round.