Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

This is the team we were supposed to see last year.

What the title says.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I’ve thought the same thing many times this season, I would have expected this years team and performance in year#1 of Popp and Trestman’s tenure with improvements in year#2.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    2016 all over again. High expectations (for different reasons), and the coaching staff, offence and defence all shat the bed. I expect changes to come this off season, and I hope Popp and Trestman getting the boot is a part of those changes, but I doubt it happens.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    2016 all over again. High expectations (for different reasons), and the coaching staff, offence and defence all shat the bed. I expect changes to come this off season, and I hope Popp and Trestman getting the boot is a part of those changes, but I doubt it happens.
    IMO, there's no way that either Trestman or Popp are dismissed. Another season in the dumpster, should that occur, may bring some prospect of significant change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think management will have some serious discussions with ownership, but with all the factors considered, a reset with another go will be the decision for next year. So many close games this year, that with a few changes (Ray, Chamberlin, kicker) would have been wins and at least a 500 season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Despite 2 fewer wins, I still "like" this team a lot better than the 2016 version. Perhaps because several were on the '17 Argonauts and that incredible win, but I find myself much more loyal to this squad than in 2016. I also don't want to see the Trestman/Popp combo gone after this year but I do want them to re-evaluate how they've utilized players and schemes and make major adjustments. These final 5 games need to be the beginning of that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    More than once this season I've thought of living through the 1972 Argos season. After a 10-4 season the team followed up with a 3-11 season. Joe Theismann was lost to a broken ankle and the season was lost. Leo Cahill lost his job and the team went into turmoil for the next 10 years.

In addition to losing HOF QB Ricky Ray, the team has lost so many starters, its no wonder Jim Popp and Marc Trestman look bad. The balance of this season should be used to access the 2019 roster.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    A fluky end of season run and Grey Cup win has clouded a lot of minds (it did for me as well between Dec-Feb), but a lot of what's gone on this season does not look good on Trestman and Popp. I really dislike how they handled the Chamblin situation. Popp also did nothing to upgrade the team even though a lot of people could see the OL was still a weak point ; as was the DL with Butler sitting, and the secondary which has had issues for a few years now. I give credit to Popp for doing everything he could to avoid the post AC situation in Montreal by acquiring Franklin, but Trestman clearly has his favourites (McBLT does as well it seems). The whole Carter situation IMO makes both Trestman and Popp look like idiots - why sign him if he's not going to be used ? Everyone knew Carter was a handful, so nobody should be surprised that he's acted out the last 2 games because he wasn't getting the ball. Popp also has not had a good draft since '06 IMO, and that's also very concerning. I'm also still not a fan of Calvillo coaching here, and that has Popp and Trestman written all over it. Archer has been a disaster; while I was willing to give him a shot I should have realized what was going to happen with the Greg Quick hire - I'm not kidding when I say that this defence looks ridiculously similar to Quick's in Saskatchewan and Montreal.

Only two Coaches and Football Ops personnel I'd hate to lose is Condell and Himebauch. Does Condell have a hand in the offence ? Yeah he does - Condell helps Trestman with the game planning, but it's not Condell's offence nor does he control the play calls during the game. I've seen enough of how Condell does things in the NCAA (prior to meeting Austin BTW) and in the CFL to know that this ain't his offense, and it's not a coincidence that he's been interviewed for a couple of HC positions over the last 3 years, and 2 teams tried to pry him out of Toronto during the off season. Himebauch IMO is still the best OL coach in the CFL; even though I know it doesn't look like it right now. Everywhere he's gone though the OL improves, and then when he leaves the OL play falls off a cliff.

As I've said previously: as much as I may want a regime change I don't see it happening; both Popp and Trestman have hefty contracts, and are still well respected (especially Trestman from my understanding). Also, who would replace Popp ? Zimmerman, John Murphy (massive contract in Sask from what I've been told), O'Day (could be headed to Winnipeg if Miller boots Walters), Burke, Allemang, McEvoy, Rigmaiden, Rosetti (if he can be convinced to come back) ?
    Last edited by R.J; 09-29-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    More than once this season I've thought of living through the 1972 Argos season. After a 10-4 season the team followed up with a 3-11 season. Joe Theismann was lost to a broken ankle and the season was lost. Leo Cahill lost his job and the team went into turmoil for the next 10 years.

In addition to losing HOF QB Ricky Ray, the team has lost so many starters, its no wonder Jim Popp and Marc Trestman look bad. The balance of this season should be used to access the 2019 roster.
    How many starters have Edmonton, Calgary, and Hamilton lost this season ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Despite 2 fewer wins, I still "like" this team a lot better than the 2016 version. Perhaps because several were on the '17 Argonauts and that incredible win, but I find myself much more loyal to this squad than in 2016. I also don't want to see the Trestman/Popp combo gone after this year but I do want them to re-evaluate how they've utilized players and schemes and make major adjustments. These final 5 games need to be the beginning of that.
    I couldn't agree more with this. I am a big believer of letting people learn from their mistakes and I think that Trestman and Popp have both had enough success in this league and with the Argos (a Grey Cup championship last year) to have earned another shot for next year.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I am pretty sure that the Argos have lost more than each of them and none of those teams has lost one man-game at the crucial QB position.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this. I am a big believer of letting people learn from their mistakes and I think that Trestman and Popp have both had enough success in this league and with the Argos (a Grey Cup championship last year) to have earned another shot for next year.
    I agree Ravi, both have a good track record and deserve the chance to get it right.
    The Head Coach is only as good as the coaching staff around him which I feel is a the biggest difference from last season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Mitchell, Reilly or Masolli?

Theismann went down in '72 and Cahill was out. Just saying.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I think management will have some serious discussions with ownership, but with all the factors considered, a reset with another go will be the decision for next year. So many close games this year, that with a few changes (Ray, Chamberlin, kicker) would have been wins and at least a 500 season.
    That's what I was going to say. The defense has regressed for sure injuries, age and Chamberlain leaving. But no Ricky Ray has to be the main reason and the kicker leaving hurt big time as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I can't fault management for their general 2018 plan -- coming off a championship, bring back as many vets as possible, and let Franklin apprentice for a year under Ray.

The o-line, which really looked like it turned a corner midway halfway through 2017, regressed. The pass rush dropped off the map. QB play has been mediocre at best. Turnover margin is last in the league.

Add it all up, and you get a 3-10 team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

Be serious! The team has lost so many starters??? Calgary just beat us without 4 of their top receivers!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    According to Justin Dunk on 3DownNation, Trestman signed a three-year contract last year. I can't see him retiring with a year and $600k left on his contract, unless he decides that the need to reduce the number of coaches and/or cut the pay for his assistants (and possibly himself) makes it too intolerable to continue. All things considered, I don't see Trestman or Popp going anywhere after this season. I hope Trestman is able to be hard-headed enough to make significant changes in the coaching ranks. It seems clear the coaching staff needs an overhaul, especially on the defensive side. I don't think we'll see both Condell and Calvillo back -- one or the other but not both.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I can't fault management for their general 2018 plan -- coming off a championship, bring back as many vets as possible, and let Franklin apprentice for a year under Ray.

The o-line, which really looked like it turned a corner midway halfway through 2017, regressed. The pass rush dropped off the map. QB play has been mediocre at best. Turnover margin is last in the league.

Add it all up, and you get a 3-10 team.
    Himey came in like halfway through last season I believe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    According to Justin Dunk on 3DownNation, Trestman signed a three-year contract last year. I can't see him retiring with a year and $600k left on his contract, unless he decides that the need to reduce the number of coaches and/or cut the pay for his assistants (and possibly himself) makes it too intolerable to continue. All things considered, I don't see Trestman or Popp going anywhere after this season. I hope Trestman is able to be hard-headed enough to make significant changes in the coaching ranks. It seems clear the coaching staff needs an overhaul, especially on the defensive side. I don't think we'll see both Condell and Calvillo back -- one or the other but not both.
    I would much rather see Condell return than Calvillo.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I would much rather see Condell return than Calvillo.
    Can I ask why? What is so special about Condell, because that comment has been made by others, and I am in the dark a bit here.

As for Calvillo, the jury is still out IMO. He was rushed way too soon to try and do too much with the Als, and stellar players don't necessarily make good coaches. I have heard no feedback regarding his tenure or impact since he joined the Argos. If anyone has heard anything, I would love for them to share it.