Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Stamps have been more successful, regular season and postseason combined, but have also suffered more crushing defeats than any other team, and arguably four times as many as the Argos. Missing the playoffs sucks for sure, but IMO losing the Grey Cup, or the division final at home, sucks way worse. I know how rotten I felt in 1988, 2005 and 2007 -- Stamps fans have felt that way 12 times (seven home losses in the West Final, five losses in the Grey Cup) since then.
    Being in the playoffs more often means your going to lose some games in the playoffs (Calgary) - Argos are 6-0 in their last 6 Grey Cups, but between all those years there's a lot of basement dwellers - it all depends on how you want to look at things I guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd take erratic performance and consistent success in the big game (when your team gets there) over four crushing defeats (when your team had a very reasonable expectation of winning it all) every 10 years.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I think recency bias is a bit at play here, yeah the Argonauts won the 2017 Grey Cup, but in the last decade (08-17) the Stamps and Argos have both won 2 GC's. In the last 20 years (98-17) both have won 3 GC's. And, in the last 30 years (88-17) Calgary has won 5 GC, and the Argos have won 6. So, I suppose you could say the Argos have been more successful in the last 30, but how many times have the Stamps finished out of the playoffs in the last 30, 20, and 10 years ?
    The Stamps finished out of the playoffs in 2002, 2003, and 2004. I believe those are the only times since the end of the 1988 season that they have failed to make the postseason. In fact, since the franchise almost folded following a 3-13 1985 season, they have only missed the playoffs four times.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Considering how much true success Trestman has had. I give him a mulligan in facing true failure for the first time.

Also, you won't see me crap on our championship last year just because it's pissy we're losing this season. The Argos were the only successful team last year and did so at the only times it mattered.
    Nothing cheap about any Grey Cup championship IMO, the team peaked at the right time and pulled off a clutch win fair and square.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Being in the playoffs more often means your going to lose some games in the playoffs (Calgary) - Argos are 6-0 in their last 6 Grey Cups, but between all those years there's a lot of basement dwellers - it all depends on how you want to look at things I guess.
    I’ll take the thrill of watching my team winning the last 6 World Championship games they’ve appeared in.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos haven’t lost a grey cup final since 1987 - beautiful 6-0 run in that span.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I’ll take the thrill of watching my team winning the last 6 World Championship games they’ve appeared in.
    To my knowledge the Argonauts have never competed in nor won a World Championship as the only North American Football Championship is the IFAF World Championship, and that's done by Countries not individual teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    To my knowledge the Argonauts have never competed in nor won a World Championship as the only North American Football Championship is the IFAF World Championship, and that's done by Countries not individual teams.
    Incorrect, other teams win Grey Cups, Argos win World Championships
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Incorrect, other teams win Grey Cups, Argos win World Championships
    Argos have won the World Series? (Dumbest name in all sports)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The NFL, Major League Baseball and NBA all refer to the team that wins their given league title as “World Champion”.
    I always found that odd as a kid as all of these sports (particularly baseball and basketball) are played at very high levels globally but the American leagues crown themselves World Champions which shows their arrogance IMO.
    The Argos are the only team that I follow closely, add in the fact that they (and the CFL) are perennial underdogs in the professional sporting world they are my “World Champion” just my own personal FU to the big goliaths who think they are the only ones that matter.
    Last edited by Argo57; 10-02-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The NFL, Major League Baseball and NBA all refer to the team that wins their given league title as “World Champion”.
    I always found that odd as a kid as all of these sports (particularly baseball and basketball are played at very high levels globally but the American leagues crown themselves World Champions which shows their arrogance IMO.
    The Argos are the only team that I follow closely, add in the fact that they (and the CFL) are perennial underdogs in the professional sporting world they are my “World Champion” just my own personal FU to the big goliaths who think they are the only ones that matter.
    Unlike with baseball, basketball and American football, the CFL is the only professional league in the world that plays Canadian football, so in a way, the CFL champ should be considered world champion.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I think the Grey Cup game should be called the "CFL Grey Cup World Championship" or something to that affect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Unlike with baseball, basketball and American football, the CFL is the only professional league in the world that plays Canadian football, so in a way, the CFL champ should be considered world champion.
    I like the way you’re thinking Angelo👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I always found that odd as a kid as all of these sports (particularly baseball and basketball are played at very high levels globally but the American leagues crown themselves World Champions which shows their arrogance IMO.

Good for you 57 ! - bang on!

The American sports announcers (and lemming like fans) who proclaim the Super Bowl winners as "World Champions" are IMO arrogant ignoramuses; just like the World Series (though the name has it's own origin) winner should not be called the World Champion of baseball (and when so many other countries play baseball - there is an actual world tourney of top baseball nations). Funny the Stanley Cup winners are never (not now or historically) referred to as "World Champions" - i wonder why that is, huh (maybe because the league was always dominated by Canadians and not pompous @$$-hat Americans) ? ) - they are the Champions of the NHL - that's it.

American rules gridiron football is only played seriously (tons of teams, resources, players) in one country - the USA - so to think the winner of the highest level league in that country is some sort of "World" champion is simply laughable. The SB winner is the Champion of the NFL - but i guess they could call themselves "World Champion of American Football".

The GC winner could be thought of as the World Champion of Canadian rules gridiron football, even though the sport is only played in Canada. ;o)

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Argos have won the World Series? (Dumbest name in all sports)
    It's called marketing/branding.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Nye: What’s gone wrong for the defending Grey Cup Champs?

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/04/nye-st...s-2018-season/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Nye: What’s gone wrong for the defending Grey Cup Champs?

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/04/nye-st...s-2018-season/

Can't say I disagree with anything in that article. Have to also mention the number of player changes, especially on defence.... I think it was said by one of the announcers during the last game, that Cleon Laing was the only starter from the Grey Cup playing that game (recognizing a number of players like Bear and Marcus are injured). That is huge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    Can't say I disagree with anything in that article. Have to also mention the number of player changes, especially on defence.... I think it was said by one of the announcers during the last game, that Cleon Laing was the only starter from the Grey Cup playing that game (recognizing a number of players like Bear and Marcus are injured). That is huge.
    Yes, Black, Gabriel and Wynn also injured. Butler was great last year, and I think we all underestimated how good he made others around him look too. Myself included, we took his off season comments, along with Wilder's, way too personally. I for one, am never going to take sides in a contract dispute between players and management again. Both sides are only trying to do what is best from their own perspective, and who am I to judge?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    Even at full strength this defence has been incredibly soft.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Even at full strength this defence has been incredibly soft.
    Have they ever been at full strength this season?

They probably had their best game of the season in B.C. They produced 4 sacks and pressured Jennings constantly on Saturday night. As a result, despite a huge field position disadvantage for much of the night, the defence actually kept the Argos in the game and gave them a chance to win. I thought that Archer called a more aggressive defence on this night too. Finally, I do think that they have some pieces in place on defence for next season. I really like the young DBs that have been playing over the past three weeks. Washington, Dowling, Roberson, Likely and now Covington have all shown that they can compete for starting jobs next season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force