Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I think it's too soon to give up on Coombs, but we shouldn't be planning our offense around him. I'm worried that we have counted on him to add some unpredictability, but when injured we replace him with a "vanilla" slotback. We need an offense that can confuse opponents even when Coombs is on the IR - and I'm not convinced we have that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The problem is that Coombs appears to be a unique player, i.e. someone whose particular skills cannot be easily replicated. When he's in the lineup our offence is harder to stop, and when he's out, his replacement brings less to the table and is easier to defend against. I would love him to stay here and develop to his full potential, but if he's not under contract for next season I could see him leaving because we likely won't offer a big contract, and some other team tantalized by his potential will.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The problem is that Coombs appears to be a unique player, i.e. someone whose particular skills cannot be easily replicated. When he's in the lineup our offence is harder to stop, and when he's out, his replacement brings less to the table and is easier to defend against. I would love him to stay here and develop to his full potential, but if he's not under contract for next season I could see him leaving because we likely won't offer a big contract, and some other team tantalized by his potential will.
    I like Coombs, but if he is a FA I would let him walk. Thing is, if an offense is so affected by the loss of a single player, then perhaps it is time to move on from that offensive game plan all together.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I like Coombs, but if he is a FA I would let him walk. Thing is, if an offense is so affected by the loss of a single player, then perhaps it is time to move on from that offensive game plan all together.

Ummm .... Coombs ain't exactly Pinball Clemons or Terry Greer; he might be a pretty effective receiver, but he's hardly a dominant offensive player who other teams fear and have to game plan for. If the offence can't find a good replacement - either a pure receiver slotback (Coombs is a converted college ball tailback), or another similar RB to receiver with YAC skills project (a bunch of good RBs up next draft) , then that's on real dumb-@$$ recruiting and/or personnel decisions (see the Argo D this year).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Ummm .... Coombs ain't exactly Pinball Clemons or Terry Greer; he might be a pretty effective receiver, but he's hardly a dominant offensive player who other teams fear and have to game plan for.
    No, he's not a dominant player, but IMO opponents do in fact have to game-plan for him, something they do not have to do for Noel, Ralph or anyone else who has played that spot this season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No, he's not a dominant player, but IMO opponents do in fact have to game-plan for him, something they do not have to do for Noel, Ralph or anyone else who has played that spot this season.
    Really - and you know this how? - CFL DCs have stated they worry about Coombs in the Argo line-up and would leave Noel uncovered basically? IMO - Noel has way more potential as a deep threat receiver than Coombs; bigger, stronger, real receiver experience - look at his rookie season TD catch or a couple of deep shots he caught this season. A smart offence could do as much with Noel vs. Coombs; but Coombs used often and effectively in a Durie type short pass and then YAC potential role = yes, that is a good dimension for an offence and love to see Coombs be healthy and get that role; not sure a Trestman offence gets that though.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Coombs was very effective in his position and you should look st the Argos W-L record with him in the lineup. I like Noel but I actually don’t like him there as a slot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Coombs was very effective in his position and you should look st the Argos W-L record with him in the lineup. I like Noel but I actually don’t like him there as a slot.
    Noel has been getting better and better. Just more proof that you need patience when developing young Canadian talent. But you're right about Coombs. When he's in there, he is a difference maker. Especially in the YAC yardage area. His presence allowed the Argos to go deep last year despite the fact that they had no real deep threat.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A smart offence could do as much with Noel vs. Coombs
    Really - and you know this how?

Oh, I see there was an IMO just before that statement. Funny, I had one of those in mine as well . . .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Back to the topic. Does anyone think Noel could be an effective runner on sweeps? Or is that an example of how Coombs has unique abilities that need to be game-planned for?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Back to the topic. Does anyone think Noel could be an effective runner on sweeps? Or is that an example of how Coombs has unique abilities that need to be game-planned for?
    I definitely think it's a unique talent. When Coombs started the season on the 6 game, I was hoping the Argos would have made an offer to Anthony Parker, who IMO would have been great at that position. Not sure if they did or not, but it's also possible that he wanted to stay out west.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

The Bombers have been using Nic Demski quite a bit as a ball carrier this season; he lines-up mostly at slotback, but they move him around and he gets carries out of RB position; maybe already more than Coombs has got in a season as an Argo slotback ? (i'll look it up); the Bummers also use the receiver jet sweep play more than most CFL offences i believe. Noel has some decent speed to go with his size, but doubtful he has YAC yard capability like a former tailback in Coombs does; mind you, Sinopoli is close to league best at YAC, but it's more from smarts and bull strength, rather than shifty moves or speed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I believe I saw them try a sweep with Noel. It didn't go very far. But I agree with OV about Noel as an occasional deep threat. He doesn't have the quickness and acceleration of Coombs, but IMO he's one of those guys who can lengthen his stride when the ball is in the air to get separation. Don't know if the Argos have the QB now to make it happen. Maybe Franklin can if given the time. I know Ricky could have made it happen with Noel, but they were never given the chance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think it'd be much more prudent to change the offensive scheme, so that it doesn't rely on a skill set similar to Coombs or Dure (very few players like that around).

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I think it'd be much more prudent to change the offensive scheme, so that it doesn't rely on a skill set similar to Coombs or Dure (very few players like that around).
    Yep
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Let's hope last year draft pic Regis Cabasu signs in the off season.

Achievements:

Level
    Agreed, gil.

If we don't have the coaching bandwidth (or willingness) to prepare offensive strategies with and without Coombs, I'd let him go in free agency and start 2019 with Noel backed up by Cibasu in the third SB position. Hopefully committing to that alignment would allow us to come up with a more interesting offensive strategy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Agreed, gil.

If we don't have the coaching bandwidth (or willingness) to prepare offensive strategies with and without Coombs, I'd let him go in free agency and start 2019 with Noel backed up by Cibasu in the third SB position. Hopefully committing to that alignment would allow us to come up with a more interesting offensive strategy.
    Cibasu is IMO sort of Noel like in terms of receiver skills IMO; big body but with some decent athleticism; i bet Noel is faster though. However - IMO - both are better suited for wide-out in the CFL probably and they both played mostly WR in CIS ball i believe (?) (but maybe Cibasu could be a Sinopoli type slot if he has great hands and route running smarts?); and a smart offence would make use of both wide-outs rather than some CFL same old tendency to put a NI at strictly wide-side WR and rarely throw to him; smarter use would be to make the 2 WRs often able to flip to either side - to give Ds different looks and not be set on match-ups. Duron Carter with Noel/Cibasu as your 2 WRs = big targets who can out muscle or box-out smaller DBs & catch radius for all throws, but also have deep threat ability.

Achievements:

Level
    Cibasu is IMO sort of Noel like in terms of receiver skills IMO; big body but with some decent athleticism; i bet Noel is faster though. However - IMO - both are better suited for wide-out in the CFL probably...
    Cibasu is big and runs a 4.8; he'll succeed-or-fail in the CFL as a SB, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Cibasu is big and runs a 4.8; he'll succeed-or-fail in the CFL as a SB, IMO.

You mean if Coombs is gone, the Argo offence will give Cibasu a shot at being a starting slotback from TC on in ? - could be i guess; but Brian Jones did not get that chance (or maybe he did and just didn't grade out well?) and Jones is a bigger receiver, faster than a 4.8 i think, and he was an all-star at the position in college ball whereas Cibasu has played mostly WR i believe ?

I'll bet if Cibasu even makes a CFL roster his chance of starting would be at typical little used wide-side WR.