Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Where to for the Argo's Ground Game?

With Wilder out, the Argos get a chance to try out the other RBs on their roster to a greater extent than previously was the case. In addition, with questions being raised about the future of Trestman and Popp, who decides what kind of offence and running attack the Argos will have next year is up in the air.

Personally, I still like Wilder. While he is middle of the pack fifth in rushing among starting RBs, he leads RBs in reception yardage with 539, 132 yards ahead of second place Andrew Harris. He is also second in YAC yards among all players, only 27 yards behind league leader Brad Sinopoli. Although he has improved his acceleration from the start of last season by losing weight, when he was often stopped in the backfield, his big body, which helps him plough forward along the ground means he is initially not going to be the shiftiest of RBs, making him susceptible to being stopped in the backfield. Improving the offensive line could help offset this.

Burks has only one game over 34 yards rushing. That was against BC where he gained 90 yards, but most of that was on one 68 yard rush. I like him with his speed and shiftiness as an offset to Wilder, thereby varying the offensive look to some extent. However, i have doubts about him as a primary RB.

I have even greater doubts with McCluster in terms of his durability in view of his injury record throughout his career and even more so now that he is injured once again, considering how brief his time with the Argos has been. But he looks good when he carries the ball.

Travon Van has never been more than a backup RB IMO, so I think the Argos need to bring in more RBs to TC to provide an alternative to Wilder if he is injured and maybe even beat him out of the starting job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    To me, no question Wilder is the guy. He can do it all, and is also a guy that you can market. If he isn't the guy, the Argos are making a huge mistake.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree that Wilder is the man but liked how they used Burks and McCluster last week in BC. Varying the look and skill set at RB seemed to keep the D on it's toes. If you did that with Wilder and perhaps Burks (and of course had a deep threat and improved protection - haha), teams could not key on Wilder as much as they do. Calgary used a two back system very effectively earlier this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It's a bright spot - right now, the Argos have a good group of running backs.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Considering our OL (decent pass protectors but weak run blockers IMO), weak passing game, and the fact that we're *never* ahead in games to give him a chance to pad his numbers, I think Wilder has done very well this year. I don't think we have any problems at RB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Considering our OL (decent pass protectors but weak run blockers IMO), weak passing game, and the fact that we're *never* ahead in games to give him a chance to pad his numbers, I think Wilder has done very well this year. I don't think we have any problems at RB.
    Agreed. Amazing that so many think Wilder is having a poor season when he was averaging 100 yards per game from scrimmage before going down.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Our running backs are fine. Play calling and OL are the bigger issues IMO; teams seem to know when a run play is coming, and our OL hasn't been creating many big holes for the running back this season. I still think Wilder is overrated, but I also think Trestman needs to learn that a running backs primary job is to run the ball... Other teams seem to have figured this out.