Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Lots of folks were ripping Trestman earlier for misusing Carter -- maybe he knew something after all.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Lots of folks were ripping Trestman earlier for misusing Carter -- maybe he knew something after all.
    There were also times when it was frustrating watching Franklin. I dunno who’s to blame but those picks looked like the Franklin that got benched. They were gifts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I know there are 2 more games to go, but where do we start in blowing this thing up......from top to bottom.
    President, GM, HC, definitely new Co-ordinators to include on the offense and heck maybe a new free agent QB and there will be several possibilities to include Mitchell, Reilly, Lulay, Jennings?
    You got exactly the GM, coach and QB you demanded for over a year, so maybe you can start by defending your convictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I cannot blame Manziel, considering the asinine decision to pull him out of the game for the last play hail mary. Not only is he embarrassed today on Canuck TV and - more importantly for him - on ESPN, tomorrow he'll still have to deal with the incompetents running the team (into the ground).
    I get what the Als did on the last play. Pipkin has a stronger arm. I've seen that done before.

If anything, Manziel was the victim of an intentional grounding penalty the play before that was too close to call.

Talented player, but the problem with him is that he's not interested unless he's a prime target. And even then, he can turn into a big suck if he goes through a dry spell. Too much me, not enough we.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Talented player, but the problem with him is that he's not interested unless he's a prime target. And even then, he can turn into a big suck if he goes through a dry spell. Too much me, not enough we.
    I appreciate his talent, and he's been good for fan engagement during his previous stops, but even though he's a free spirit - and apparently still immature at 27 - he has to demonstrate a reasonable degree of teamwork.

However long this gig lasts, Carter's fast running out of CFL opportunities, if he hasn't already. There may be a spot for him in the new league.
    Last edited by Argo; 10-21-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I get what the Als did on the last play. Pipkin has a stronger arm. I've seen that done before.

If anything, Manziel was the victim of an intentional grounding penalty the play before that was too close to call.
    On the Als' board at forums.cfl.ca this is discussed, and it was also noted that JM was (also, or more) P.O. about a winnable game lost, one of the reasons being that the Bad Bede showed up again. It does seem that the Als will try to go with a different kicker next season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    On the Als' board at forums.cfl.ca this is discussed, and it was also noted that JM was (also, or more) P.O. about a winnable game lost, one of the reasons being that the Bad Bede showed up again. It does seem that the Als will try to go with a different kicker next season.

Bede as the Als FG kicker is another example, IMO, of a dumb CFL team thinking they have to go with just one kicker to do both jobs; there is ZERO reason for this unless the guy is the reincarnation of Lui Passaglia in his prime (booming punter + very accurate FG kicker); and not only that, if your one kicker gets injured early in a big game, you are basically done in that game without a decent replacement; Bede is a good punter and also has the strongest kick-off distance leg in the league (by a mile); so find a good, accurate FG kicker to go with him. CFL rosters are easily large enough to carry 2 kickers - no excuses acceptable there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    And Duron Carter did the same thing, more or less. While everyone else associated with the Argos was celebrating the victory, he immediately sauntered towards the locker room. He also (again) was slow getting back to the huddle more than once. I am convinced he cannot feel comfortable unless he is the centre of attention. It's only a matter of time before he blows up, IMO.
    He reminds me of Downtown Eddie Brown who used to sulk and put out little effort if he did not get passes early and often. I also wonder if he is suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). His running around for twenty seconds in the end zone with 2:40 to go on the punt return while still giving up the single and the Argos behind made no sense for anyone paying attention to the situation.

A new study from The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center finds athletes with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to compete in team contact sports than individual sports, which could increase their risk of injury. ...
    "We expected athletes with ADHD to gravitate toward individual sports, like golf or tennis, where they have more control, there is a little bit more repetitiveness and they don't have to worry about the responsibilities or roles of teammates or opponents," said Dr. James Borchers, director of the Division of Sports Medicine at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center. "But what we found was our athletes with ADHD were twice as likely to compete in team sports, and their rate of participation in contact sports, like football, hockey and lacrosse, was 142 percent higher."
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0511135755.htm
    Last edited by jerrym; 10-21-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    With the right structure in place, people with ADHD can thrive. Maybe this is what Trestman has been attempting to do? Perhaps there is a successful payoff on the field next year...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Bede as the Als FG kicker is another example, IMO, of a dumb CFL team thinking they have to go with just one kicker to do both jobs; there is ZERO reason for this unless the guy is the reincarnation of Lui Passaglia in his prime (booming punter + very accurate FG kicker); and not only that, if your one kicker gets injured early in a big game, you are basically done in that game without a decent replacement; Bede is a good punter and also has the strongest kick-off distance leg in the league (by a mile); so find a good, accurate FG kicker to go with him. CFL rosters are easily large enough to carry 2 kickers - no excuses acceptable there.
    I agree with you on this, OV. The kicking game is so critical in this league that if you need two kickers, then go with two kickers.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I agree with you on this, OV. The kicking game is so critical in this league that if you need two kickers, then go with two kickers.
    With the game day rosters now at 44 there is no need to go the dual kicker route. Hell, when the game day roster was 37, the Argos were pretty successful with the Ilesic/Chomyc duo.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    You got exactly the GM, coach and QB you demanded for over a year, so maybe you can start by defending your convictions.

I am responding to your emphatic, bold and underlined "exactly".
    Don't know what you expect here?
    But yes, I was very high on the Franklin bandwagon stating he was a can't miss FA before the team traded for him.
    He has not performed to his billings and yes for me so far has underperformed.
    And yes if you want to hear, I and likely most of us expected more.
    For this year, I was wrong on his ability. Maybe if he is given another chance for next year he may yet prove me correct or he could be one and done?
    But on the other front, hey when a team goes from the penthouse to the outhouse in one year then all bets are off for the remaining manangement positions.
    An evaluation that like I said MLSE and the rest of the ownership group will have to carefully evaluate and decide on each person's fate.