Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Argo Fan No-Shows?

Hi all, do the argos have a lot of fan no-shows at games? For last week's ticats game the announced attendance was 14,100 but a Toronto Sun article stated that 18,000 tickets were sold. A look on ticketmaster did show only about 1000 tickets left. I tried to get seats in section 119 at the box office and they were sold out at game time and only one seat was available in sec 120. But I did notice empty seats in these sections when I was at the game.

I have heard that argos only report tickets scanned. So if this is true maybe the argos poor fan support is not as bad as it seems. I recall reading somewhere that argos revenue has gone up at BMO (sorry no source).

Do you guys have any insights?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Last week's crowd looked pretty sparse, especially for a Ticats game. A lot of regulars in my section (which is completely seasons tix, as far as I know) were not there. So 14k in the building and 18k tix sold both sounded plausible to me.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Hi all, do the argos have a lot of fan no-shows at games? For last week's ticats game the announced attendance was 14,100 but a Toronto Sun article stated that 18,000 tickets were sold. A look on ticketmaster did show only about 1000 tickets left. I tried to get seats in section 119 at the box office and they were sold out at game time and only one seat was available in sec 120. But I did notice empty seats in these sections when I was at the game.

I have heard that argos only report tickets scanned. So if this is true maybe the argos poor fan support is not as bad as it seems. I recall reading somewhere that argos revenue has gone up at BMO (sorry no source).

Do you guys have any insights?
    I'm guessing the 18k was a bad number. Too many rows of empty seats to suggest there were 4,000 no shows IMO.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm guessing the 18k was a bad number. Too many rows of empty seats to suggest there were 4,000 no shows IMO.

Argo office has told me a few times 4 or 5 thousand no shows can happen. I trust the 18K number is probably true. Today Argo ticket office said they expect 14 for the game on Sat.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes the Argos do report tickets scanned so it's no surprise that there were lost of no shows.

I believe TFC does the same thing. Manning says they have about 24,500 STHs but last game drew about 22K and change.

Edit: Anyone care to share the link from the Sun mentioning the 18K sold? Haven't found anything yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't doubt the veracity of the reported discrepancy between the 18,000 sold tickets to the 14,00 that turned up. Earlier in the season I enquired about buying an extra ticket and was informed our whole area was sold out. However, at the game there were probable 15-20 empty seats immediately around us. My guess is that in our supposedly sold out section (123), about one third of the seats were empty.

Do we know how many season corporate seat have been sold? Could this partially explain the difference in the two numbers?

If the team really has been selling a substantial number of tickets beyond the stated attendance, then perhaps the team has been close to meeting its break even number.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Yes the Argos do report tickets scanned so it's no surprise that there were lost of no shows.

I believe TFC does the same thing. Manning says they have about 24,500 STHs but last game drew about 22K and change.

Edit: Anyone care to share the link from the Sun mentioning the 18K sold? Haven't found anything yet.
    Here is the link: https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ond-half-surge
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Thank you for the link.

18K is near the capacity based on the current configuration

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I spent a while counting and estimating at the game today. Looked like about 40% capacity to me. Perhaps 8,000. Certainly lots more empty seats than Ticketmaster was telling me last night.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I spent a while counting and estimating at the game today. Looked like about 40% capacity to me. Perhaps 8,000. Certainly lots more empty seats than Ticketmaster was telling me last night.
    I thought around 10k, but it's impossible to get a full read from my seats as I can't see any of the west upper deck. Many of the regulars in my section (which is mostly STHs) were again absent, not surprising given there is nothing to play for except dreaming about the future.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    My '5 second estimate' guessed below 10,000.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I thought around 10k, but it's impossible to get a full read from my seats as I can't see any of the west upper deck. .
    I too was on the west side and took a walk to the south end zone in Q3 to get a look. Upper west was also about 40% full. More full behind the Argo bench, less full at the other end.

Here's the west and east sides part way through Q3 -

west.jpgeast.jpg
    Last edited by shayman; 10-21-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I suspect many of the season ticket didn't bother to turn up for the game. I went to a grandson's hockey game rather than a nothing Argo game. Wont change my decision to buy tickets next year---after all these years and having experienced bad seasons before--once an Argo fan, always an Argos fan

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    One effect of lower ticket prices is that it is not as painful to "no show" I guess. I always make sure I give my tickets to someone if I am not going. I hate to see them go unused, and it is also good to promote the game by giving them away. Also once eliminated from the playoffs, the no shows will increase in all sports.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think that the scalpers have a lot of season tickets so if they don't sell them that's a no show. I gave away 2 of my tickets for the Hamilton game and then those people didn't show. I gave my tickets for yesterdays game away to a charity, hopefully they were used!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I suspect many of the season ticket didn't bother to turn up for the game. I went to a grandson's hockey game rather than a nothing Argo game. Wont change my decision to buy tickets next year---after all these years and having experienced bad seasons before--once an Argo fan, always an Argos fan
    There is also a greater temptation to watch the game on TV rather than make the effort and cost of going to the stadium when teams, like the Argos, are playing "nothing" games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't get all this talk of a 'nothing' game. As a fan you should want to be at every game. They only play NINE per calendar year !!! I love watching football live and never miss and cannot imagine staying away because the team is out of the playoffs. The game was still fun to be at and exciting down to the wire. It is real life happening, so any play can turn out to be the greatest ever in history. Always good to be there if that happens. I could see skipping a Leaf game since they play 41 at home, but there are so few games, and now we have to wait until June for the next one. I am going to miss it so much that I am headed to Montreal next weekend to see them play one more time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    I don't get all this talk of a 'nothing' game. As a fan you should want to be at every game. They only play NINE per calendar year !!! I love watching football live and never miss and cannot imagine staying away because the team is out of the playoffs. The game was still fun to be at and exciting down to the wire. It is real life happening, so any play can turn out to be the greatest ever in history. Always good to be there if that happens. I could see skipping a Leaf game since they play 41 at home, but there are so few games, and now we have to wait until June for the next one. I am going to miss it so much that I am headed to Montreal next weekend to see them play one more time.
    I'm with you. No matter the situation, I love the entertainment value of being live at the game. I go to every home game, and watch every away game on TV regardless of record. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but I've read so much talk about what a crappy game it was yesterday. I thought it was very entertaining.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It is all relative. If one has something else on the calendar and it is also of considerable interest, then it is easier to forgo an Argo "nothing" game to attend the other event. Not right or wrong, just an individual decision.

I caught the second half of the Argo game on TV. Exciting finish but it did look like a battle of the incompetents. However, as others have mentioned, there does appear to be some talent on the team and with another year's experience and some needed changes, there is every possibility the team could be competitive next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:

Level
    As I keep saying- it is only nine days out of the year. When the schedule comes out, absolutely nothing else can be scheduled on those days. I have people schedule a golf tournament so as not to be on the same day as an Argo game. Once I know the schedule, it all falls into place. Kills me when guys I know tell me they never know when the games are. Pretty easy to know something like that these days, if you had just the slightest bit of interest.