I’ve had the good fortune to spend the last couple of days at my firm’s HQ. I am lucky to work for a successful Fortune 500 firm, whose success is based on it’s culture and values. It isn’t a coincidence that the firm has had three individual CEOs in its 58 years of existence. Our new CEO was pursued for over a decade and when he finally accepted the position he was transitioned into the CEO over a 5 year period of time.

It struck me this week that the Argos longest standing current management positions are the GM and head coach. Jim and and Marc have a tenure 19 months each. The current part-time president has less than a year in his position.

If you want to lay blame to the absence of local interest in the Argos lay it at the feet of the team’s culture and values. The constantly revolving HQ doors have zero room for transition. This is interesting since the salaries continue for those previously employed in management. Not one individual in the last decade in an important role with the team has ever been asked for any transitional input. Strange because they’re still on the payroll and still cashing cheques from the team.

At this point in the season, fans are already calling for people to pay the price for a four win season. We really don’t need to look too far for success in the CFL. The Calgary Stampeders have a decade of success under John Hufnagel with the support of owners that also own the Calgary Flames.

I would love to see the next full-time Argos president strategically “pulled together” the kind of culture and values that breed success. Don’t give me someone who house cleans everyone immediately and then proceeds with making all the same mistakes of their predecessors.