Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Toronto Argonauts moving to Mexico ?

At least one home game in 2019 could be.
    https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-could-play-tw...2019-1.1202839

Make sense that it would be the Argos giving up at least one home game, and also might explain why season tickets haven't gone up for sale yet (most other CFL teams have done so already).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    For selfish reasons, a road trip I could get behind, especially if there is a team organized promotion. I've been wanting to go to Mexico City and this gives me the perfect excuse. Despite what people may tell you, it's very safe in the city core.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have no issue with an early July game against a non SK Western team.

If we're getting 8 home games next year, I hope the trade off is we don't have to host a Thursday night game.

Otherwise, Si!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Fair catch? We ain't got no fair catch. We don't need no fair catch. I don't have to show you any stinkin' fair catch!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    They are talking a 40 000+ crowd. That would be a huge revenue boost for the Argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not a bad idea, to grow or expose our game internationally.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    They are talking a 40 000+ crowd. That would be a huge revenue boost for the Argonauts.
    Not necessarily, as the CFL would most likely buyout the Argo home game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm sorry but with Montreal, BC and Toronto having attendance issues, the league focus should be on that. Not Mexico.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Not necessarily, as the CFL would most likely buyout the Argo home game.
    Could said team say "No thanks" then? Can the league force a team to play in another country? Somehow I doubt the struggling Argos would be shut out of all profits.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Could said team say "No thanks" then? Can the league force a team to play in another country? Somehow I doubt the struggling Argos would be shut out of all profits.
    They would still make more money than a true Toronto home game with a buyout. I suppose they could split the profits, but zero chance the League doesn't make a nice chunk of the money off this potential game, especially with it being Ambrosie's baby.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The price of our season ticket packages would be adjusted accordingly, I assume...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Argos playing in Mexico fits in with Ambrosie's earlier comments about an agreement with the Professional American Football League of Mexico (LFA) and the possibility of bringing some Mexican players to the CFL as global players.

“Our plan in the short term is to welcome some of the very best players from Mexico into our great league under a new category ‘global player,'” Ambrosie said during the media availability. “We’ve been talking to our governors, our teams, our players about the opportunities that this would create to expand the game of football, to bring to Canadian football and players from around the world to excite them and thrill them.” ...

The LFA was founded in 2016 and currently has eight teams and schedule starting in the third week of February and finishing in April with the Mexico Bowl. Teams are currently permitted to field two foreign players per team, usually from NCAA Division II or III schools.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/10/04/cf...otball-league/

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    No issues with this... Mexico City is awesome to visit and flights with interjet are nice and cheap

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    The price of our season ticket packages would be adjusted accordingly, I assume...
    If it ever happens an Argo home game would be at the top of the list I would think. Maybe they're thinking of a pre-season game first. I think it's a great idea though show the CFL game outside of Canada. I wonder how a game would be received in Germany, they seemed to support NFL Europe the best.

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    No issues with this... Mexico City is awesome to visit and flights with interjet are nice and cheap
    One of the biggest problems is the fact that the average wage in Mexico is $680 per month, not too many people can afford to go to football games.
    I can't see that they would make much money out of holding a CFL game there.
    The Mexican soccer league is cheap admission and their players don't earn much and the best players head north to the MLS so they can make a living.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    One of the biggest problems is the fact that the average wage in Mexico is $680 per month, not too many people can afford to go to football games.
    The Mexican soccer league is cheap admission and their players don't earn much and the best players head north to the MLS so they can make a living.
    Over 200K attended the Mexican F1 GP 2 weeks ago. Don't underestimate the money and attendance there. I think this is a smart move. Hopefully the league can find more revenue down the road in other places in the world. Finally a commissioner with vision.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    I cannot believe this is a plausible idea. I’m in the camp of growing the game in Canada – I don’t see growth for the CFL internationally the same as others and even Ambrosie but I guess that’s why he’s in the position he’s in.

Hope whatever he chooses works out though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    I’m in the camp of growing the game in Canada – I don’t see growth for the CFL internationally the same as others and even Ambrosie but I guess that’s why he’s in the position he’s in.
    Unfortunately the game not only does not seem to be growing in Canada, it seems to be shrinking. Attendance has been dismal recently in almost every city in the league. Some of that is circumstantial (meaningless games) but nonetheless it is disturbing to see so many empty seats in places other than Toronto (where we have become used to it). Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton and Montreal have all had buildings that looked almost empty in the past few weeks. Ambrosie may have no choice but to try to build interest (and more importantly, generate revenue) elsewhere. Growing a league that has the same number of teams it had in 1954, at a time when other established leagues have expanded many times since then, and while new leagues and sports are starting up in Canada, is a big challenge.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    When the NFL has staged games there, they have had no problem filling the seats. There are people with money there and I guess if they are willing to spend it on the CFL, what is the harm? However, I don't see this as the CFL growing our game.. to me it is a revenue generator pure and simple... and the Argos would be the perfect team to participate since our home attendance is so poor anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Unfortunately the game not only does not seem to be growing in Canada, it seems to be shrinking. Attendance has been dismal recently in almost every city in the league. Some of that is circumstantial (meaningless games) but nonetheless it is disturbing to see so many empty seats in places other than Toronto (where we have become used to it). Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton and Montreal have all had buildings that looked almost empty in the past few weeks. Ambrosie may have no choice but to try to build interest (and more importantly, generate revenue) elsewhere. Growing a league that has the same number of teams it had in 1954, at a time when other established leagues have expanded many times since then, and while new leagues and sports are starting up in Canada, is a big challenge.
    I agree Paul, but I think that it is not just CFL football that is going to face major challenges, but football in general. With all of the issues surrounding head trauma etc., fewer kids will be playing football. And the university game in Canada is not thriving either, so the talent pool for quality Canadian players will be smaller, notwithstanding that the best ones can still go to school in the U.S.

An expansion team in Halifax gives some hope for the future. But the biggest issue in growing the game here is the fact that the country is so huge geographically but the population is concentrated in a few locations. Where else could the league grow after Halifax? I would love to see a team in Quebec City, and possibly a second team in Saskatchewan some day. But other than that, where else do you go? London/Kitchener/Waterloo??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I agree Paul, but I think that it is not just CFL football that is going to face major challenges, but football in general. With all of the issues surrounding head trauma etc., fewer kids will be playing football. And the university game in Canada is not thriving either, so the talent pool for quality Canadian players will be smaller, notwithstanding that the best ones can still go to school in the U.S.

An expansion team in Halifax gives some hope for the future. But the biggest issue in growing the game here is the fact that the country is so huge geographically but the population is concentrated in a few locations. Where else could the league grow after Halifax? I would love to see a team in Quebec City, and possibly a second team in Saskatchewan some day. But other than that, where else do you go? London/Kitchener/Waterloo??
    I agree on all points. Football is in trouble and will need to change to survive, IMO. I could see flag or even touch football eventually replacing what we have now. You could still have highlight-reel catches, great runs and so on, but with a much-reduced likelihood of head trauma, and smaller rosters . As for Canada, the Okanagan seems to be a growth area and IMO would be more viable than another market in southern Ontario, but realistically the best the CFL can hope for here is 12 teams (say Halifax, Quebec and Saskatoon), and that seems very unlikely.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7