Reply to Thread
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

2012 Argos vs. 2011 Argos

Now that we (more or less) know who'll be on the field next week, the question can be fairly asked: is this year's team better than last year's game one roster?

The QB depth chart looks a lot better this year. Neither Lemon nor Jyles was our main problem on offense last year, but Ray is more talented and more experienced than either of them. If he stays healthy we'll be much better off at that position - and our backups are at least as good as last year.

Our receiving corps shouldn't frighten anyone yet, but Mann-Barnes-Owens-Inman-Durie (IMHO) looks better than Rideau-Watt-Copeland-Owens-Durie.

Our O-Line has been downgraded. Wayne Smith is essentially untested at LT, and Parenteau has nowhere near the credentials of Dominic Picard. I expect some protection problems and the occasional bad snap.

The D-Line should be better; Huntley says he is healthier this year and Armstead is (based on TC at least) an upgrade on Wroten.

Our LB corps has gone from Younger-Pottinger-Eiben to some combination of Isaac, McCune, Kuale, and Ball as starters for the time being. That looks like an upgrade to me; I thought last year's LB corps performed poorly (particularly against the run) and I'm glad we've had a lot of personnel turnover.

I think our secondary will be about the same. I thought Sean Smalls was OK at the all-important short-side corner position, but Carroll beat him in a direct competition. Parker's departure from the lonely wide side CB probably won't make a big difference. Younger can't blitz like Pile, but he should be at least as good in coverage.

Our roster is substantially better, IMHO. If our coaching is better too - and that's something that will only be evident in the coming weeks - I think we'll have a much better year.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    The biggest improvment will be how the team is coached. Milanovich and Jones over Barker and Co....

I don't see a GC contender but this team can start building towards it

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm with RoRoYoBoat in the fact that it would be too much to ask for a Grey Cup team this year. So many changes everywhere but hopefully we build towards bigger and better things. I have a feeling that the first few games will be like game 3 and 4 of preseason. It's obvious the team needs time to come together. Really no one knows what the hell is going to happen until we get four or five games in. Hopefully some luck is on our side this year because it would be horrible if it somehow all went south again. We have to beat Edmonton though.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    2012 QB > 2011 QB -- This is a no brainer, Ray is obviously way better than Cleo Lemon. Despite his struggles in the pre-season, Jarious Jackson is an upgrade over Dalton Bell for the 2nd string QB. I think Trevor Harris also elicits a little more confidence than B.J Hall based on his pre-season performances.

2012 RB > 2011 RB -- Not a ton of personnel change over here except that Bryan Crawford retires and Gerald Riggs Jr., arrives. Crawford's retirement impacts special teams more than the running back position. Cory Boyd is Cory Boyd while Chad Kackert now has a year of experience and Riggs also provides solid depth. Jeff Johnson is solid as usual as more of a FB type and can contribute with the occasional run or reception.

2012 WR > 2011 WR -- This group still has a lot to prove! The Argos could use one of Mike Bradwell or Spencer Watt to step up. The Argos also need Andre Durie, Jason Barnes and Maurice Mann to stay healthy in order to provide Ricky Ray with targets. I still give them an upgrade over the 2011 group because there is a little more promise here.

2012 OL < 2011 OL -- A lot of question marks here I feel, Barker brought in a lot of back-up OL, but it remains to be seen how they can do when starting. The loss of Edawn Coughman due to his inability to understand Canadian law hurts.

The defense is very hard to evaluate because of the turnover. We're not really going to find out whether there has been upgrades or downgrades until a couple of weeks into the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    This year's Argo team has a real QB - the biggest difference.

However - loss of experience and talent on D could be a major issue IMO; i realize some feel last year's D was bad, but a good deal of that may have been coaching - D philosophy & schemes and some questionable personnel deployment; this year's D has a whole bunch of fairly unproven CFL players (but still some good vets); and the hope is that Jones' supposed oh so "aggressive" defence will be so much better - we shall see. I think they might get shredded for lots of points early - as good defences usually take time to gel with playing together and understanding of the system; but maybe the new talent and the D coaching is so superior that they are good right away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    2012 QB > 2011 QB -- This is a no brainer, Ray is obviously way better than Cleo Lemon. Despite his struggles in the pre-season, Jarious Jackson is an upgrade over Dalton Bell for the 2nd string QB. I think Trevor Harris also elicits a little more confidence than B.J Hall based on his pre-season performances.

2012 RB > 2011 RB -- Not a ton of personnel change over here except that Bryan Crawford retires and Gerald Riggs Jr., arrives. Crawford's retirement impacts special teams more than the running back position. Cory Boyd is Cory Boyd while Chad Kackert now has a year of experience and Riggs also provides solid depth. Jeff Johnson is solid as usual as more of a FB type and can contribute with the occasional run or reception.

2012 WR > 2011 WR -- This group still has a lot to prove! The Argos could use one of Mike Bradwell or Spencer Watt to step up. The Argos also need Andre Durie, Jason Barnes and Maurice Mann to stay healthy in order to provide Ricky Ray with targets. I still give them an upgrade over the 2011 group because there is a little more promise here.

2012 OL < 2011 OL -- A lot of question marks here I feel, Barker brought in a lot of back-up OL, but it remains to be seen how they can do when starting. The loss of Edawn Coughman due to his inability to understand Canadian law hurts.

The defense is very hard to evaluate because of the turnover. We're not really going to find out whether there has been upgrades or downgrades until a couple of weeks into the season.
    I agree with your assessment. Let's be honest though - last year's defence was simply not good at all so there really isn't anywhere to go but up IMO.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I agree with your assessment. Let's be honest though - last year's defence was simply not good at all so there really isn't anywhere to go but up IMO.
    I know, but we just don't know how good this group is going to be yet.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Basically your starting from scratch. It's a real unknown. If our O was any good our D last year might have played much better. I'm looking forward to seeing some nice long drives and hopefully some very long one play deep pass bomb it's in the endzone drives. I miss seeing the odd bomb td which has been seriously lacking.