Now that we (more or less) know who'll be on the field next week, the question can be fairly asked: is this year's team better than last year's game one roster?

The QB depth chart looks a lot better this year. Neither Lemon nor Jyles was our main problem on offense last year, but Ray is more talented and more experienced than either of them. If he stays healthy we'll be much better off at that position - and our backups are at least as good as last year.

Our receiving corps shouldn't frighten anyone yet, but Mann-Barnes-Owens-Inman-Durie (IMHO) looks better than Rideau-Watt-Copeland-Owens-Durie.

Our O-Line has been downgraded. Wayne Smith is essentially untested at LT, and Parenteau has nowhere near the credentials of Dominic Picard. I expect some protection problems and the occasional bad snap.

The D-Line should be better; Huntley says he is healthier this year and Armstead is (based on TC at least) an upgrade on Wroten.

Our LB corps has gone from Younger-Pottinger-Eiben to some combination of Isaac, McCune, Kuale, and Ball as starters for the time being. That looks like an upgrade to me; I thought last year's LB corps performed poorly (particularly against the run) and I'm glad we've had a lot of personnel turnover.

I think our secondary will be about the same. I thought Sean Smalls was OK at the all-important short-side corner position, but Carroll beat him in a direct competition. Parker's departure from the lonely wide side CB probably won't make a big difference. Younger can't blitz like Pile, but he should be at least as good in coverage.

Our roster is substantially better, IMHO. If our coaching is better too - and that's something that will only be evident in the coming weeks - I think we'll have a much better year.