Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Argo Town Hall Feb 15

Here are my notes from last night's event, attended by about 60 fans. Popp and Chamblin spoke for about 50 minutes, with Mike Hogan moderating.

Everyone knew months ago that Reilly was going to B.C., and it became clear quickly that Harris was going to Edmonton. Hence the hard push for BLM.

Had the Argos been able to sign BLM, they would not have been able to sign “anybody else” in free agency and probably would have had to release some players.

Chamblin watched video showing 100 returns by Rainey and says he’s a very dangerous weapon, a real game-changer.

Micah Awe is an impact linebacker.

Tobi Antigha is a smart player. He won’t be asked to play DB as he sometimes was in Regina, but he can move around into a lot of positions. Chamblin said he wants guys who can do more than one job (which is consistent with how he used his DBs and LBs in 2017 – all over the place).

Poop Johnson was signed on the basis of his name, Chamblin said jokingly. Then added they watched him on film and saw one game where “he was just wreaking havoc.” He’s a diamond in the rough.

Shawn Lemon leaving last year “allowed him to mature a little bit” and understand the business side of the game. He’s very focused now and understands he has to play at a high level at all times. Chamblin told him that 11 sacks is “average” for a guy like him, and he can do better.

Popp said Lemon had run-ins in the past with coaches. When the staff last year decided he was not going to play, Popp offered to trade him rather than cut him. “You can sit here and be unhappy, or I can help you get somewhere where you can plan and excel,” and maybe we will work together in the future. Lemon now thanks Popp for the way he handled it, and Popp said Lemon told that story to Derel Walker when he was being wooed by the team. “He trusts us, he believes in us.”

Martese Jackson had same situation – fell out of favour, got traded rather than cut so he could keep playing. Argos talked to Jackson about returning but with Rainey now, there seems little chance of that happening.

Mike Hogan, who was in the “war room” during free agency, said the Argos had a board ranking the players. They had Walker at 2 and Rainey at 4, and never expected to be able to get both. They never thought they could get all three of Lemon, Awe and Antigha.

So many running backs: Wilder and Burks are both coming off knee injuries suffered late in the season. Rainey will be used on a spot basis, one or two carries, as he was in B.C. Timmis is a big man, Popp was surprised he was available – Hamilton may have been playing hardball with him. May not be able to dress two INT RBs because of ratio issues elsewhere.

Sutton and Rainey both came into the CFL with Mtl when Popp was there. Sutton “has a little age on him” but he’s powerful and tough. Popp told him “this is all we can pay you,” and he said he wanted to be here. “Sometimes you get a bonus. If we could ever put Sutton and Wilder together on the field, along with Rainey, that’s a dangerous combination.”

In putting the coaching staff together, Chamblin looked for guys who had worked together before so that there is “instant chemistry.” Chamblin hired two d-line coaches because the two positions (DE and DT) are so different from each other.

Coaches have had to change their methods to adapt to today’s players. You can’t have 90-minute mtgs – you will lose them. Have to provide regular breaks for players to check their phones.

Chamblin is committed to developing schemes that suit the players he has, rather than vice versa. He has told Chapdelaine to rethink his playbook now that he has Walker as a deep threat.

Veteran players who helped recruit the FAs told them “You can have a life here,” you can go out in the city without being recognized.

AAF: Dylan Wynn is telling Argos he’s planning to sign with the AAF. “He thinks that’s his best path to play in the NFL. We’ll see.”
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level

thx !
    argos did much better by not signing blm
    they used his $ to get other players which by far helped the team more
    franklin is not as impactful as blm but he can be pretty good, especially in a creative offence featuring a mobile qb and pocket
    it worries me the franklin refused to extend his contract
    i still say dump macbeth and sign bridge - he and franklin are both mobile
    coach cc says he wants a smaller playbook, easier for o-line to transition from franklin to bridge - both qb's are similar and bridge is a very big guy
    bridge almost beat argos in 2017 east final [look at his run 4th quarter of game]
    ---
    Last edited by john; 02-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Chamblin is committed to developing schemes that suit the players he has, rather than vice versa. He has told Chapdelaine to rethink his playbook now that he has Walker as a deep threat.
    Thanks for this Paul. I'm happy to hear that the above is how Chamblin plans to run things - complete opposite of Trestman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Here are my notes from last night's event, attended by about 60 fans. Popp and Chamblin spoke for about 50 minutes, with Mike Hogan moderating.

Everyone knew months ago that Reilly was going to B.C., and it became clear quickly that Harris was going to Edmonton. Hence the hard push for BLM.

Had the Argos been able to sign BLM, they would not have been able to sign “anybody else” in free agency and probably would have had to release some players.

Chamblin watched video showing 100 returns by Rainey and says he’s a very dangerous weapon, a real game-changer.

Micah Awe is an impact linebacker.

Tobi Antigha is a smart player. He won’t be asked to play DB as he sometimes was in Regina, but he can move around into a lot of positions. Chamblin said he wants guys who can do more than one job (which is consistent with how he used his DBs and LBs in 2017 – all over the place).

Poop Johnson was signed on the basis of his name, Chamblin said jokingly. Then added they watched him on film and saw one game where “he was just wreaking havoc.” He’s a diamond in the rough.

Shawn Lemon leaving last year “allowed him to mature a little bit” and understand the business side of the game. He’s very focused now and understands he has to play at a high level at all times. Chamblin told him that 11 sacks is “average” for a guy like him, and he can do better.

Popp said Lemon had run-ins in the past with coaches. When the staff last year decided he was not going to play, Popp offered to trade him rather than cut him. “You can sit here and be unhappy, or I can help you get somewhere where you can plan and excel,” and maybe we will work together in the future. Lemon now thanks Popp for the way he handled it, and Popp said Lemon told that story to Derel Walker when he was being wooed by the team. “He trusts us, he believes in us.”

Martese Jackson had same situation – fell out of favour, got traded rather than cut so he could keep playing. Argos talked to Jackson about returning but with Rainey now, there seems little chance of that happening.

Mike Hogan, who was in the “war room” during free agency, said the Argos had a board ranking the players. They had Walker at 2 and Rainey at 4, and never expected to be able to get both. They never thought they could get all three of Lemon, Awe and Antigha.

So many running backs: Wilder and Burks are both coming off knee injuries suffered late in the season. Rainey will be used on a spot basis, one or two carries, as he was in B.C. Timmis is a big man, Popp was surprised he was available – Hamilton may have been playing hardball with him. May not be able to dress two INT RBs because of ratio issues elsewhere.

Sutton and Rainey both came into the CFL with Mtl when Popp was there. Sutton “has a little age on him” but he’s powerful and tough. Popp told him “this is all we can pay you,” and he said he wanted to be here. “Sometimes you get a bonus. If we could ever put Sutton and Wilder together on the field, along with Rainey, that’s a dangerous combination.”

In putting the coaching staff together, Chamblin looked for guys who had worked together before so that there is “instant chemistry.” Chamblin hired two d-line coaches because the two positions (DE and DT) are so different from each other.

Coaches have had to change their methods to adapt to today’s players. You can’t have 90-minute mtgs – you will lose them. Have to provide regular breaks for players to check their phones.

Veteran players who helped recruit the FAs told them “You can have a life here,” you can go out in the city without being recognized.

AAF: Dylan Wynn is telling Argos he’s planning to sign with the AAF. “He thinks that’s his best path to play in the NFL. We’ll see.”
    Awesome report Paul. Thanks for this. This week in general has me so pumped for Training camp.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great summary Paul👍
    “Missing out” on BLM is a blessing in disguise IMO.
    Hearing how Popp handled things behind the scenes last year tells me he is worth his weight in gold, glad we have him.
    I like the way Chamblin seems to be running things, very excited heading into 2019.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thank you for the recap Paul.

Glad to hear the method of how they approached FA. Probably good in hindsight we didn't get BLM but that at least serves notice of that MLSE is willing to use it's resources on the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks Paul for update, really looking forward to season start.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Dylan Wynn decision is quite a head scratcher. He sees AAF as a better way into the NFL, but to the best of my knowledge they will have completed 20% of their season after tomorrow and he is still not on a roster.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The Dylan Wynn decision is quite a head scratcher. He sees AAF as a better way into the NFL, but to the best of my knowledge they will have completed 20% of their season after tomorrow and he is still not on a roster.
    With the number of CFL FA's that sign with the NFL, you would think Wynn, if the NFL had any interest in him, would have offered him a contract by now. With the AAF, does Wynn have to be signed by the team closest to Oregon, where he played college ball?

Good to finally know what John Murphy's role with the team is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Yeah, I think he's attempting to use the AAF as leverage to gain a bigger contract, but doesn't seem to realize that the AAF rosters have been filled for a few weeks. I expect he will eventually re-sign with us (if there's any room left, money-wise).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Great summary Paul
    “Missing out” on BLM is a blessing in disguise IMO.
    Hearing how Popp handled things behind the scenes last year tells me he is worth his weight in gold, glad we have him.
    I like the way Chamblin seems to be running things, very excited heading into 2019.
    i think having coach cc as head coach and dc may have swayed some players to sign especially on the defence

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    i think having coach cc as head coach and dc may have swayed some players to sign especially on the defence
    No doubt, you are correct👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks very much Paul

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah, I think he's attempting to use the AAF as leverage to gain a bigger contract, but doesn't seem to realize that the AAF rosters have been filled for a few weeks. I expect he will eventually re-sign with us (if there's any room left, money-wise).
    cfl.ca free agency tracker is now showing that Wynn signed with the AAF yesterday (Feb. 19).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Level
    Great summary! So looking forward to some Argos football! I also agree that it is exciting to hear a coach talking about using a players strengths rather than focusing only on his schemes and I hope the "deep ball" plan comes into play a few times a game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    thx !
    argos did much better by not signing blm
    they used his $ to get other players which by far helped the team more
    franklin is not as impactful as blm but he can be pretty good, especially in a creative offence featuring a mobile qb and pocket
    it worries me the franklin refused to extend his contract
    i still say dump macbeth and sign bridge - he and franklin are both mobile
    coach cc says he wants a smaller playbook, easier for o-line to transition from franklin to bridge - both qb's are similar and bridge is a very big guy
    bridge almost beat argos in 2017 east final [look at his run 4th quarter of game]
    ---
    I agree with you on the QB situation. I think Bridge has some upside to him. Some young QB's take longer to come into their own so to speak. Maybe MBT can be moved for a later round draft pick as it looks like this is Franklin's team now. I would think that Franklin is gambling that if he has a good year he could command a much higher contract that what was being offered now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    May not be able to dress two INT RBs because of ratio issues elsewhere.
    If we could ever put Sutton and Wilder together on the field, along with Rainey, that’s a dangerous combination.”
    Hey there's some outside-the-box thinking, imagining Sutton, Wilder and Rainey on the field at the same time. Three guys who are both great runners and great receivers. I would rather see any one of them on the field instead of any 4th INT WR. As for the ratio, any one of them can be replaced by Coombs, Timmis or Cross at any time, giving this backfield a ton of different looks in the process. Sounds like our offensive lineup is pretty much set!

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Paul covered it very well.

I was struck about how charismatic Chamblin is as a speaker. He's definitely a guy who fits what I think MLSE wanted in a coach.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    great summary - I too will throw my name in as another who is pretty psyched for the upcoming season and if nothing else, the new approach here. Hope that both our offence and defence can generate some more exciting plays in 2019, something IMO that was lacking in 2018. Stretching the field with Walker is a great start to this. An improved secondary will also give a guy like Lemon the chance to get after the QB - should be fun.