Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    LaPolice like Trestman likes full control of his offence. Heck, even when he was forced to hire Crowton by Joe Mack and hand over the offence, Lapo still would try to call plays (a big reason he was fired as HC in Winnipeg).
    I have no issue with that. His offence is very diverse and you never know what’s coming next.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Who would be on your list OV?
    Does it matter? If a Usport coach was hired and failed he would put the blame squarely on the GOB’s he has to report to.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I am guessing Glen Constantin, Stefan Ptaszek, Blake Nill, and Greg Marshall (the former Hamilton head coach).

Poppy did say he was going to look at all aspects. (for whatever it's worth)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Is Michael O'Shea's contract due to expire in Winnipeg?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Just thought of another guy. Marcus Brady.

This is going to be a tough call for Jim Popp as he appears to be under the gun as well. That was a shot across the bow IMO by Manning when he fired Trestman the morning after. The message was IMO again that MLSE are not going to fool around and be patient. With Montreal and the Wetenhall's (or what ever their name is) Jim seemed to be able to sweet talk them into his way of thinking, hiring Coaches he thought he could control. Maybe I'm all wrong but that was the appearances to me. So as IMO Jim hasn't an easy task. Picking an assistant coach how do you know what he will be as the head guy. People change once they become the head guy. Some can't handle it and other blossom. So who is out there, that's available, who is or has been a Head Coach. That way you know what you're getting. Wally's done. Maas? maybe a OC, Dickinson don't know his contract status, Ego Jones (that would be interesting), O'Shea contract's up I believe, Campbell ? not Toronto type, Austin (would he work for Popp)?, Lapo? that might be the right fit for Jim.

I don't know what Chris "ego" Jones (I got that from OV) lol contract status is right now but he would be the most headline grabber of the bunch. But unless he got fired from Saskatchewan he would be taking a step down, the guy knows how to build a ball club, especially defense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Is Michael O'Shea's contract due to expire in Winnipeg?
    O'Shea... now that's an idea.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    O'Shea... now that's an idea.
    Probably at half way through the season, I was thinking this may be a possibility since WPG and Nichols was all over the place at that point. But ever since they got hot, I don’t see it happening. I really did think Winnipeg would move on without O’Shea if things didn’t improve.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I'd love to see O'Shea too but I just don't think that is remotely likely to happen. As to Marcus Brady, I hope that's not happening because he never inspired any confidence in me.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I feel like I need to see how the Blue Bombers do in the playoffs before I judge whether or not I'd want O'Shea in Toronto as coach. The Bombers have two consecutive semi-final exits and I'm not sure if I'd be totally confident in a coach who hasn't shown that he get his team over the hump...yet.

Mind you if the Bombers go anywhere this year, this will all be a moot point.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I'd love to see O'Shea too but I just don't think that is remotely likely to happen. As to Marcus Brady, I hope that's not happening because he never inspired any confidence in me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I feel like I need to see how the Blue Bombers do in the playoffs before I judge whether or not I'd want O'Shea in Toronto as coach. The Bombers have two consecutive semi-final exits and I'm not sure if I'd be totally confident in a coach who hasn't shown that he get his team over the hump...yet.

Mind you if the Bombers go anywhere this year, this will all be a moot point.
    O'Shea coming to Toronto might not be as far-fetched an idea as some think. He has strong ties to this city, and owned/managed a roadhouse restaurant here (not sure if he still has it). It would be a big move to come back to Toronto and build a winner here.

I like the idea of LaPolice and Steinhauer, although I can't see Hamilton letting him go.

Definite NO to Jason Maas... don't like his attitude. He really ticked me off when the league first went live mic on the coaches where he at first refused to wear the mic, and then after getting fined, wore the mic but didn't say a word. Also don't like his temper tantrums on the sidelines.

I don't like the idea of bringing in Stefan Ptazek. He was not successful as just an Offensive Coordinator, so why take the risk on him as Head Coach.

Chris Jones would not give up total control to be just a HC, and even if he did, I would see potential for strong head butting with Popp, given both have strong personalities. So no to him as well.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think it is one or the other when it comes to LaPolice and Steinauer. The reason for that is because only one of them will get a promotion, and the other team is unlikely to allow the other go for a move that wouldn't be a promotion.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The last thing the team needs is another iteration of the Trestman - Milanovich - Brady - Trestman offense in 2019. Brady as HC might induce that sort of thing. Please no.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    My top two at this point are LaPolice and Steinauer.
    As some have stated Hamilton may want to keep him around as their next HC but he also has a strong history with the Argonauts.
    LaPolice at least runs an interesting offence and has previous HC experience so he is a strong possibility as well, another important aspect of any candidate will be the quality of coaching staff they are able to assemble.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    I want to see a coach who wants to run a high-octane razzle-dazzle offence -- something that can excite the fans -- and who knows how to do it.

Because you gotta figure both Manning and Popp are both very much inclined to trade for Johnny Manziel. It looks like Montreal is willing to deal, and it also looks like Johnny could turn into the right guy to run a successful high-octane razzle-dazzle offence in the CFL. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say the guy's got a chance to be a great one up here.

And best of all, a Johnny Manziel offence would perfectly suit James Franklin too. What a one-two punch that could be running read options, QB draws, and all kinds of other things that mobile QBs do that drive defences crazy. The catch would be that the Argonauts would need to extend Manziel to at least 2020, but depending on the new CBA, he might be swayed to stay here longer.

So, anybody know of a coach who can run an offence like this? Could LaPo do it?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I want to see a coach who wants to run a high-octane razzle-dazzle offence -- something that can excite the fans -- and who knows how to do it.

Because you gotta figure both Manning and Popp are both very much inclined to trade for Johnny Manziel. It looks like Montreal is willing to deal, and it also looks like Johnny could turn into the right guy to run a successful high-octane razzle-dazzle offence in the CFL. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say the guy's got a chance to be a great one up here.

And best of all, a Johnny Manziel offence would perfectly suit James Franklin too. What a one-two punch that could be running read options, QB draws, and all kinds of other things that mobile QBs do that drive defences crazy. The catch would be that the Argonauts would need to extend Manziel to at least 2020, but depending on the new CBA, he might be swayed to stay here longer.

So, anybody know of a coach who can run an offence like this? Could LaPo do it?
    Maybe trade Franklin for Manziel - I think Kavis would do it lol.

Lapo, Condell, June Jones, and Khari Jones are the only OC's right now that I think could do what you're talking about.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd say Lapolice or Steinauer.
    Steinauer is being groomed for the HC in Hamilton. But with the management cap coming in I don't know how they could keep Jones and Steinauer.
    Lapolice runs a diverse offence and seems to adapt to the players he has.

And no to Johnny Football! Anyone can see Pipkin is the better QB there.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    It would be curious to consider whether the Argos would run into the same issues Kavis and friends ran into last year while hiring a coach.

I know that 3DownNation was reporting that Claybrooks and Condell declined an interview due to disfunctionality.

I presume the same would be the case in terms of our team for the following reasons:

1) Forcing the new coach to retain a few of the former coaching regime due to salary cap reasons
    2) Promoting of the Argos Brand via Social Media - Something Belichick Lite Trestman did not entertain.
    3) Stiffer coaching competition (and pay raises) from upstarts like the AAFL or XFL.

It remains interesting whether one or all of the candidates mentioned actually declines an interview...interesting times ahead.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Bring back John Huard and his infamous popsicle breaks

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Whether he's hired as HC or DC, the Argos need someone who builds an aggressive defence, as this year's milquetoast defence was a disaster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Maybe trade Franklin for Manziel - I think Kavis would do it lol.

Lapo, Condell, June Jones, and Khari Jones are the only OC's right now that I think could do what you're talking about.
    Personally I wouldn’t trade Franklin for Manziel under any circumstance.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions