Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    I got a hold of a sales rep. The credit is for the non-playoff game. The prices quoted as of now are early bird discount prices. They will go up. Club seats did go up almost 20% based on early bird pricing so the increase will be even higher for regular priced purchases. They said that Club seats went up more than others to bring them in line with other similar sports etc.
    Thanks for clarifying. So my season tickets went from $159 last season to early bird pricing of $172. Which means that the regular price will be even higher. It seems like an odd strategy to raise prices after a terrible season when you had thousands of empty seats at every game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. So my season tickets went from $159 last season to early bird pricing of $172. Which means that the regular price will be even higher. It seems like an odd strategy to raise prices after a terrible season when you had thousands of empty seats at every game.
    Renewed mine last week. For section 225 the cost was $202 but when I clicked the box, I used my credit from last year's non playoff game to bring my total down to $178.50. That is an amazing price for a season of football. At the time, I just assumed most pricing would be similarly held in line from last year (which, for me, 2018 was listed at $204 though I only paid $199). Now I'm reading posts like yours that seem to indicate a price increase is coming if you don't renew in the early bird period. If this comes to pass, I have to wonder at the sanity of those in charge after the team's record last season and the attendance numbers since the move to BMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Renewed mine last week. For section 225 the cost was $202 but when I clicked the box, I used my credit from last year's non playoff game to bring my total down to $178.50. That is an amazing price for a season of football. At the time, I just assumed most pricing would be similarly held in line from last year (which, for me, 2018 was listed at $204 though I only paid $199). Now I'm reading posts like yours that seem to indicate a price increase is coming if you don't renew in the early bird period. If this comes to pass, I have to wonder at the sanity of those in charge after the team's record last season and the attendance numbers since the move to BMO.
    My price went up even with the Early Bird pricing:

2018 Regular: $159
    2019 Early Bird: $172
    2019 Regular: ? (My guess is $199)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Prices were too low last year (yes that's possible). This years early bird, with a minor increase, is still too low for the Argos to be profitable. Look around the league, there is no better pricing than the Argonauts. Eventually, with demand (which will also be a good thing) prices will increase even more. We, super fans have to take advantage and enjoy these prices with no bitching. I sit right behind the Argos sideline for $273 a season, including a playoff game. That's comparatively, unbelievable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Prices were too low last year (yes that's possible). This years early bird, with a minor increase, is still too low for the Argos to be profitable. Look around the league, there is no better pricing than the Argonauts. Eventually, with demand (which will also be a good thing) prices will increase even more. We, super fans have to take advantage and enjoy these prices with no bitching. I sit right behind the Argos sideline for $273 a season, including a playoff game. That's comparatively, unbelievable.
    It seems to me that it would be wise to build the demand before you increase the prices. If my guess of $199 turns out to be right that will be a 25% increase in 1 year. After a last place season with poor attendance.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    Just for comparison... Cheapest tickets in Saskatchewan are end zones at $311, $239 for kids/seniors. End zone in BC is $299. Bombers end zone is $350, nosebleed sideline endzone $254. Alouettes end zone $199. The Argos are offering the lowest priced tickets in the league. Sounds like a deal to me.
    Last edited by Mike Hogan; 12-12-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can't believe people are still whining on here (usual suspects of course). This has become the site of some of the most entitled fans in the CFL and a real turn off. Time to take a break again.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    Just for comparison... Cheapest tickets in Saskatchewan are end zones at $311, $239 for kids/seniors. End zone in BC is $299. Bombers end zone is $350, nosebleed endzone $254. Alouettes end zone $199. The Argos are offering the lowest priced tickets in the league. Sounds like a deal to me.

Compare with Ticat prices below, Argo seats are very well priced.

http://assets-ticats.s3.amazonaws.co...pricing_v5.jpg
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I know that it's difficult for some people to believe but it is possible to have a discussion without it being whining. We all want the team to succeed and offering constructive criticism of the team and it's strategies shouldn't cause such dismay.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Wasn't the purpose of my post...I didn't realize that Argos tickets were the lowest in the league until a meeting last week. Just sharing the info.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I can't believe people are still whining on here (usual suspects of course). This has become the site of some of the most entitled fans in the CFL and a real turn off. Time to take a break again.
    I always hate to see a thread started on Season Tickets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I always hate to see a thread started on Season Tickets.
    If the topic doesn't interest you then why bother posting in it?

For a Discussion Board some people certainly seem to get bent out of shape when people discuss things from a different perspective than their own.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I know that it's difficult for some people to believe but it is possible to have a discussion without it being whining. We all want the team to succeed and offering constructive criticism of the team and it's strategies shouldn't cause such dismay.
    Argos ticket prices are at a ridiculous low level right now. To me, any complaints at all about the pricing is whining. If you feel differently, then that's your choice. My tickets, even if they are at the $199 level, are over $100 less than the comparable seats I had in the dome, and we even had to fork up additional cash for our playoff tickets if there was a playoff game.

As far as the playoff game rebate, I see it differently than most. I consider the price I pay for my season tickets to be just for the regular season, and any playoff ticket to be a free bonus. With that viewpoint, I wouldn't even care if I got a rebate for the lack of a playoff game the previous year.

Sorry if you get offended here, but to me, these complaints are 100% unwarranted, thus my use of the word whining.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Argos ticket prices are at a ridiculous low level right now. To me, any complaints at all about the pricing is whining. If you feel differently, then that's your choice. My tickets, even if they are at the $199 level, are over $100 less than the comparable seats I had in the dome, and we even had to fork up additional cash for our playoff tickets if there was a playoff game.

As far as the playoff game rebate, I see it differently than most. I consider the price I pay for my season tickets to be just for the regular season, and any playoff ticket to be a free bonus. With that viewpoint, I wouldn't even care if I got a rebate for the lack of a playoff game the previous year.

Sorry if you get offended here, but to me, these complaints are 100% unwarranted, thus my use of the word whining.
    Not offended in the least, just have a different opinion than you. Also not whining, just discussing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Absolutely agree with you.
    I have been saying this every year.
    For the best sport entertainment value, you can take in the entire year for less than some teams charge for one game.
    And for me, that is a crime that very few talk about.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree that the prices are reasonable (it's taken them a few years to get there, but they finally did in my opinion) - but as for "entertainment value" that is up to the market to decide, and clearly they have - the Argos are considered an "afterthought" by most, I could not give my tickets away last year or either of the two years before that either; I've never had that problem with Leafs or Raptors tickets - even when the teams were bad, within one or two phone calls, someone was happy to go and even pay me for the seats (Jays tickets had no value last year, as the market for them is still based on success - without it - 800,000+ less seats sold last year, biggest drop in MLB) - I have season seats for TFC as well, and at a $20-$25 price point (and especially if free) I've never had a problem finding someone to use my seats - that's the "value" they have in the market place; when they were successful the previous two seasons, the value went way up of course, but even when they weren't very good, they still had some value in the marketplace....the Argos (good or bad teams -see 1996-1997 and the lack of sales/interest in attendance numbers) for most of the last 2+ decades have never had that "value" to the average consumer (not counting the few thousand CFL diehards) in the marketplace.....

Comparing the "entertainment value" of an Argos ticket in Toronto to the value of a Saskatchewan Roughriders ticket in Regina is a bit of a red herring --- the cost in Toronto for entertainment is high in a city like Toronto so the Argos price looks relatively meager in comparison; I would suggest the Roughriders ticket cost relative to the market size can be (and is) priced much higher though in Regina, as the demand is way more likely to be there due to the relevance of the team in the marketplace (at least these days), as being the only "Pro" sports team in town with much fewer entertainment options. It's like saying Leafs ticket prices are too high --- not according to what the market will bear these days they aren't (who cares if a Panthers or a Coyotes seat is way cheaper in Florida or Arizona? they price it at what the market will bear) - --- if the Argos could sell tickets for more money they would - they are not a charity - the fact that they have drastically reduced pricing should tell us all something; there simply is no real demand for the seats --- the number of people willing to spend $30+ a seat in Toronto on a football game is very, very low (especially relative to our market size)....I would bet that the bulk of ST are sold in the three lowest price ranges (Silver, Navy, Light Blue which is less than $30 a game) and the walk-ups are mostly discounted seats through group sales, and other discounted tickets through various outlets like Groupon (and the like), or even discounted by the Argos themselves as the season goes along to sometimes lower than what a ST would pay (!!), as was the case many, many times last year.....

If I offered the average sports fan in Toronto the choice of going to one Leafs (or Raptors) game in a seat for $200 or 10 Argos games for the same $200 I would bet I find more takers for the Leafs (or Raptors) game than the 10 Argos games --- on an Argos message board that may sound outrageous but the Argos need to sell to the people not on these boards (ie. not us, and even some of us (including me) are getting frustrated with this team), if they ever want to see 20,000-25,000 paying customers a game on a regular basis -

For all of the excuses I hear as to why people don't go to games (stadium is not convenient for 905ers, weather, team isn't good, considered "minor league" by the average fan, etc.) - if TFC can get that many to come down to BMO (avg 26,000+) in what is perceived as a "minor league" by most (and last year they were crap and they still drew 23,000+ on a Tuesday in February (I was there and there were that many people in the Stadium that night!), and again that many in the building in September/October when the season was clearly "over" and the playoffs were out of reach - and at a much higher average ticket cost too), than the Argos simply don't have any excuses anymore as to why they can't draw 20K+ too - except for the sad reality that the market simply does not find them interesting enough most of the time to go down to BMO and watch the games in person.....and frankly, I've bought in again with seasons the last three years at BMO to try to give this team a chance (again!), and didn't find them that interesting (a fluke Grey Cup from a 9-9 team sandwiched between a 5 and 4 win season?!) most of the time either to compel me to want to go to BMO to watch them; I could simply buy seats when I wanted to go and spend less money overall as a result - the "value" for ST simply is not there for me - giving the CFL my $400 for a pair of ST seems like an act of charity more than anything else, so I've decided to stop donating this year; I will still support the Argos and go to a game here or there if I find them interesting enough to do so --- sadly, I think that is where most people's opinions lie these days with this team, if they even have an opinion.....

The pricing is not the problem (finally!) - the product on the field (and off it?!), is simply not compelling enough to make 20-25K want to spend even $20-$30 to watch it is the problem (and lack of winning is not the only reason sadly, it would help, but it's much, much more than that)....ask someone in Toronto to name you 5 Argos these days, and I bet a lot of blank stares would be had (and that's if I give them RR (likely retiring), and Pinball!)......and that's a problem.....I'm sure the average person in Regina could name you five Roughriders....and that's the difference.....people in Toronto will spend money (lots of it) if they perceive an event as the "cool" thing to do; time for the Argos to figure out how to be "cool" again....until then, even at $20 a ticket it simply won't matter.....even Chamblin said as much in terms of being more visible in the community at his press conference (when asked about attendance issues), it's hard to get excited by a team and its players if we don't know them (to give credit - I think Wilder did a pretty good job with this last year engaging with fans on social media and the like)......

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos1983;

Thank you for the passionate reply, and I'm thrilled you think the prices are reasonable.

You're right, we're facing an uphill battle, and I've said for years that the Argos have to find a way to become trendy again in this city, and if I knew how to do that I'd buy the team.

The only thing we can do as an organization is strive to get better, both on and off the field. Let's deal with both for a second.

On the field I think the Corey Chamblin signing is huge. As a die-hard fan you know how the players on that side of the ball respond to him. There is a legitimate enthusiasm from the players I've talked to. Two years ago the team co-led the league with 50 sacks, which certainly adds to the entertainment value. We'll see what happens on the offensive side of the ball in terms of coaching, but with James Wilder, S.J. Green and Armanti Edwards all under contract, there's certainly a solid base to build from.

Off the field I share your frustration in terms of attendance and visibility. This is my first full season with the organization, so I've seen how things are being done. I can sit here and tell you with 100 percent transparency that people here are busting their rear ends to make this team work for the fans. The first week of the Early Bird has gone very well and to those who have renewed or become STHs, thank you!

I had a meeting with management from the business ops side this week and presented a 4,000-word document with ideas to improve the game-day experience and the marketing of the team. I was thrilled to find out that many of the ideas are already in the works for this year, and there was a legitimate excitement to add some of the others. Some of course weren't doable, at least not yet in some cases. Every single one of the suggestions given on his board was a part of the presentation, so to everyone who DMed me, your voices were heard, thank you! I can tell you that many of your ideas will be implemented this season.

Don't forget that MSLE came late to the party last year, so this is the first full off-season the company can work its magic. Those four letters hold a lot of weight in this market and even with a short preparation time last year there were some off-field positives.

Ticket sales were up, despite there being little to no walk-up crowd at the end of the season because of the team's record. The amount of bums in the seats also went up, as the majority of those who bought tickets showed up...again a credit to Argo fans who came out despite the win-loss record and the injury problems that decimated the lineup, including Ricky Ray, the most recognizable player on the team, out for the year in game two.

TV ratings were up as well, modestly, but up none the less, which is a positive when you consider the way the season ended, and hurt by a game against the Als at the end of the year that drew under 200,00 viewers with both teams out of the playoffs.

These are steps forward. Small steps, but it's better to be moving in that direction than going the other way. I can't wait to see what a difference a team with a better record will make.

After the second Hamilton game this year we headed back to Liberty Village for a beer or two. We were at a big table with Ticat fans who I knew (though I'm not proud of that LOL), and a couple of Redblacks fans, who I didn't know. They were all season ticket holders with those teams. Both told me that they enjoyed the game-day experience at BMO Field more than at their own stadiums, which surprised me to be honest, especially hearing that from the Ottawa fans, but it also made me feel very happy. If we can take that and try to substantially improve on that experience we're doing the right thing.

You're right, we have to improve our image on the media landscape. That won't be easy, but after a couple of meetings I can assure you we intend to reach out to as many media outlets as possible to see how to improve our visibility. TSN and the Sun have been outstanding...but we have to build bridges elsewhere that were blown up in previous years. Again, I think the MLSE connection could prove to be invaluable here.

We have to be more visible. Let me share a story from a book I just finished re-reading. Those who know me well know that when I was a kid I lived and breathed Montreal Expos baseball. In Jonah Kerri's book Up, Up and Away (a MUST read for Expos fans) he told a story about the team's visibility in Montreal in the last couple of seasons.

Felipe Alou was the manager of the team, and among the most popular personalities in team history. Think Pinball's positivity with Adam Rita's demeanour. He said a friend of his, who owned a team in the Dominican League, came to Montreal for a visit. He was there a week and didn't see anyone wearing a Montreal hat. (As an aside, Argo merch will be more available this year). He was astonished by that. I know that even before I was employed by the team, I wore the Argo crest often. Golf shirts, tee shirts, caps, touques...I was proud to throw on the "A" or "The Boat" and go about my daily routine. The more fans that do this the better. Think of yourself as an Argo ambassador and try to spread the word. You have no idea how much that can help.

You can't tell someone what to like. All you can do is let your friends and family members know how much fun you have following this team. If they go to a game with you and they don't know any of the players, tell them the story of three or four players so they know a little bit about them. Tell them Wilder won an NCAA title with Florida State. Explain how close S.J. Green was to not being able to play again. Tell them what a stud James Franklin was at Missouri, or the stories of one or two members of the defence. If they can relate to some of the players it will make them feel a little more invested in the game.

When I watch an NCAA game these days I'm just watching guys in uniforms run around. I don't know anything about 99% of the players. The reason I enjoy the Argos, the CFL and the OUA the way I do is that I know the stories of the guys inside the helmets. As someone in the communications department who writes for the website, I know a lot of that is on me to provide the information and hope it generates some discussion. I can use your help by having you retweeting the stories, or sharing with your friends on Facebook. The more eyes on the stories the better.

Sorry for rambling, but I saw the post and thought it deserved an honest reply. Rest assured, people with the Argos are busting their rear ends to make improvements this year, both on and off the field. Last year was a learning experience for those of us off the field. Lessons have been learned and we're working hard to improve the areas we can.

Thanks for your loyalty, I hope everyone here continues to support the Argos when times are bad. I look forward to selling out the current configuration for the first time this year. I look forward to our first consecutive sellouts. I look forward to the day we need to open the east side upper deck for the first time. I look forward to selling out a full BMO Field for the first time. I look forward to the first consecutive sellouts as well.

All I hope is that you're there for that as well. We need this incredibly passionate fan base to help us get there.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Hoagie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Great note, Hoagie!
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Mike,

Any chance MLSE(Rogers) can lean on Sportsnet to produce a dedicated CFL related program on a weekly basis for the 2019 season? TSN and Sportsnet are losing rights to The EPL in 2019.If this frees up airtime/production resources for them then surely they can devote something to promote the Argos/CFL brand.I would love to see Donovan Bennett/Justin Dunk being able to tell CFL stories on another platform besides TSN.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/socc...3-fc6741ce754a

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks for the update Hoagie, lots of positive information there. Hopefully we're finally starting to make sustained forward progress!