Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    It's a good compromise. And if a tenth team comes on board, no doubt they'll get rid of one if not two bye weeks, which would eliminate going against the NHL. Maybe they made this move because they believe Halifax has a good chance of happening.
    I wish the League could go back to one bye week IF Halifax actually comes aboard, but with "player safety" issues and the players liking the extra weeks off to visit family and relaxing etc, I'd be surprised if the amount of bye weeks is lowered back to 2 or even 1.

In saying that, I think it would be a good situation if they did it though, as you could start the season mid June (NHL and NBA are done), and Grey Cup would end no later than mid November, so it'll be a bit warmer for some I guess. I love the cold, so moving up to warmer months does nothing for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I wish the League could go back to one bye week IF Halifax actually comes aboard, but with "player safety" issues and the players liking the extra weeks off to visit family and relaxing etc, I'd be surprised if the amount of bye weeks is lowered back to 2 or even 1.

In saying that, I think it would be a good situation if they did it though, as you could start the season mid June (NHL and NBA are done), and Grey Cup would end no later than mid November, so it'll be a bit warmer for some I guess. I love the cold, so moving up to warmer months does nothing for me.
    Player safety notwithstanding, I see no reason they can't go back to one bye per team and a 19-week schedule if there is ever a 10th team. NFL players can handle a single bye, so can CFL players. (That said, I sadly do not expect to see a 10th team any time soon.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Player safety notwithstanding, I see no reason they can't go back to one bye per team and a 19-week schedule if there is ever a 10th team. NFL players can handle a single bye, so can CFL players. (That said, I sadly do not expect to see a 10th team any time soon.)
    I wish the teams made enough money so we could go to 4 weeks of preseason with 2 games and 16 regular season games

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    I wish the teams made enough money so we could go to 4 weeks of preseason with 2 games and 16 regular season games
    While there's little doubt that two extra PS games would help teams prepare better for the season, I'd prefer not to have to pay for two games that don't matter in the standings. Even if the league was rolling in dough I doubt they would go back to this model for that reason -- a lot of fans and potential customers simply have no interest in seeing guys who will get cut. I actually enjoy watching preseason games to "scout" the roster, but buying tickets to a second one would stretch my own tolerance.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Four pre-season games?? ouch! the Argos have trouble trying to get fans out to one pre-season game. Last year it was Guelph this year Varsity, to try to get school kids out. Fans don't want to watch pre-season, especially that first game with all the "no-names"
    Just because the NFL does 4 pre-season games doesn't mean that the CFL should do it. In a sport like football, two pre-season game is enough. Lengthen practices if they need to.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    MLSE needs to insist on a better schedule from here on out. We've had 1 good schedule in the past decade. We already have to work around the Honda Indy. Give us our bye week then, Not in Week 1!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    MLSE needs to insist on a better schedule from here on out. We've had 1 good schedule in the past decade. We already have to work around the Honda Indy. Give us our bye week then, Not in Week 1!
    Hear, hear. This schedule is abysmal, and as you say that has been the case for most of the past decade.

My personal wish list:

Four home games in summer (one during Ex), five post-Labour Day.

Bye during Indy.

Start and end season with games against the East.

No three-game (or even two-game) western road trips.

No more than three weeks between home games.

Seven Saturday games (all at 4), one Thursday game (to meet TSN requirements), one Friday game in the fall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hear, hear. This schedule is abysmal, and as you say that has been the case for most of the past decade.

My personal wish list:

Four home games in summer (one during Ex), five post-Labour Day.

Bye during Indy.

Start and end season with games against the East.

No three-game (or even two-game) western road trips.

No more than three weeks between home games.

Seven Saturday games (all at 4), one Thursday game (to meet TSN requirements), one Friday game in the fall.
    I agree with pretty much all of this. I'd prefer 5 home games pre Labour Day and 4 post but that's just a personal preference.

I'd also be fine with Sunday games @ 4PM and Holiday Monday games @ 4PM. The CFL should always have a game on Canada Day and on Canadian Thanksgiving.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Rotate the labour day classic.
    Or at least once every 4 years have us host.
    Its the argos biggest game of year and its played on the road.
    One year the cfl cancelled it outright, so that means they must be flexible.
    Would tie in with closing day of cne.
    Could really draw some interest.

Either way, 4 pm saturdays are ideal.

Id even add, have the argos or als play an occasional neutral home game.

London, windsor, quebec city, is there a 10k stadium in saskatoon?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Id even add, have the argos or als play an occasional neutral home game.

London, windsor, quebec city, is there a 10k stadium in saskatoon?
    Why should Argo fans (or Als fans) have to be the group that loses a home game to a neutral site? We only get nine of them per year -- as a paying customer I'd prefer to have nine chances to see my team. If the league decides neutral-site games are worth doing annually, they should rotate the host team so no one loses more than one home game every nine years (or 10 if there is ever a 10th franchise).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Why should Argo fans (or Als fans) have to be the group that loses a home game to a neutral site? We only get nine of them per year -- as a paying customer I'd prefer to have nine chances to see my team. If the league decides neutral-site games are worth doing annually, they should rotate the host team so no one loses more than one home game every nine years (or 10 if there is ever a 10th franchise).
    And the Argonauts should be exempt as we've already done our part with the Touchdown Atlantic and Fort McMurray games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    And the Argonauts should be exempt as we've already done our part with the Touchdown Atlantic and Fort McMurray games.
    Maybe if we got bums in the seats they would look at another team. Attendance needs to get fixed. I would have bet anything that when we moved from SkyDome we would be close to sold out every game. People underestimate the damage Rogers did to the team with bad home dates and home games on the road in Hamilton and Ottawa. I continue to keep the faith but we will never see the team enjoyed or thought of as equals to the Leafs like we saw in 1983. Perception to many is reality and the Argos and the League need to figure out how to over come this.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Maybe if we got bums in the seats they would look at another team. Attendance needs to get fixed. I would have bet anything that when we moved from SkyDome we would be close to sold out every game. People underestimate the damage Rogers did to the team with bad home dates and home games on the road in Hamilton and Ottawa. I continue to keep the faith but we will never see the team enjoyed or thought of as equals to the Leafs like we saw in 1983. Perception to many is reality and the Argos and the League need to figure out how to over come this.
    Well you're certainly not going to fix attendance by giving fans less games to attend.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well you're certainly not going to fix attendance by giving fans less games to attend.
    They are looking to increase revenue, interest and publicity for playing in a different market. There will be more discussion about this game then if they played the same game at home. This also decreases supply here in Toronto so possibly they believe they can get average attendance up per game here. Either way I don’t like losing a home game but reality is our market is not supporting the team at the gate.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    They are looking to increase revenue, interest and publicity for playing in a different market. There will be more discussion about this game then if they played the same game at home. This also decreases supply here in Toronto so possibly they believe they can get average attendance up per game here. Either way I don’t like losing a home game but reality is our market is not supporting the team at the gate.
    If it's for the good of the league then let Saskatchewan give up a home game. The Argonauts have done way more than their fair share already.

Our schedule is already terrible, as an Argonaut fan I don't want to give up anymore home games. If the Argonauts absolutely must participate then we can be the visiting team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I’m with you Paul, during the long cold winter we look forward to going to the stadium to watch and enjoy Argo games and as a paying customer expect those events to be available to us at BMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I did a quick analysis of our home schedule that some of you may find interesting:

June 22nd (Week 1 Bye)

July 6th (14 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

August 1st (26 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

August 16th (15 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

September 20th (35 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

September 28th (8 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

October 11th (13 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

October 26th (15 days since last home game @ BMO Field)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Five of the seven (not counting home opener which had no preceding game) are good -- two weeks apart. One week apart is too close together altho it's fairly usual to get one or two of those every year. 35 days is insane.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Atlantic game complicated things, but 35 days should not have happened.

One thing the Argos should do is make the Saturday after Labour Day a permanent home game every year, preferably a rematch vs the Ticats. Perfect game to lead off a tripleheader.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    The Atlantic game complicated things, but 35 days should not have happened.

One thing the Argos should do is make the Saturday after Labour Day a permanent home game every year, preferably a rematch vs the Ticats. Perfect game to lead off a tripleheader.
    Great idea, having the Labour Day rematch the following week in Toronto makes perfect sense.
    35 days between home dates is ridiculous and makes no sense at all.
    Last edited by Argo57; 09-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions