Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    Yikes -- not a spectacular schedule; only one afternoon game to take kids to (and it's the last one of the year (not during the summer), and when it might be meaningless) --- and the "make-up" for that is what? - a preseason game at 11:00AM on a weekday which is likely a write-off for most people who have jobs and who cannot take their kids out of school accordingly....frankly I would bet most STH will be paying for that game simply to donate those tickets; which is a nice idea, but it should be an opt-out situation (like the Guelph games were) when you make a game time clearly not conducive to when the average fan can attend (I think we can all surmise that it is some of type of school day initiative).....again, the idea is nice, making your STH pay for it is not.

No return match after Labour Day (always nice to build the "hate" for Hamilton in that second game 5-6 days later), no Als visit to Toronto this season which may have attracted a few people due to a certain QB who plays for Mtl (why not send an opponent like WPG to Moncton as they never draw well here - it's not like the people in Moncton care about the Als anymore than anyone else - send them a traditional East-West game), yet two visits from Ottawa in a 2 week span....

One game during the Ex and its on the opening night of the Ex, which means it will be a zoo down there trying to get down to the Ex that evening -- and again making it harder for a family who have jobs during the week to make a day of it at the Ex which is kind of the fun part of the Ex game....

I know this seems harsh but if we want to build the next generation of fans (which to me is the key!), having a few more games that are conducive to families attending is important (like Jr. Jays afternoons) --- I have made many suggestions about on the field after game promotions with kids getting to meet players, and catch a ball in the endzone after the game etc. -- doing that kind of stuff at 10:00pm-11:00pm is just not going to happen..... (when are other adults going to an after game meet and greet in Liberty Village - at 11pm?),

Maybe other like this schedule - but it's not great for extending interest to families in my opinion......
    The preseason game isn't part of the Season Ticket package. It wasn't last season either. It's 9 regular season games + 1 potential playoff game.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    ^My Bad (I’ve edited my original post) - you are correct, at least the STH aren’t paying for a preseason game that most of them likely wouldn’t attend.......

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    There are pros and cons to the Argo schedule and previous posters have out lined those pros/cons very well. One issue not mentioned is the fact that between July 6 and Sept 20 there will be only 2 games at BMO. Two home game in 11 weeks (one day shy) is not beneficial in building up community support for the team. The media and general public pay scant enough attention to the team as it is. This could well exacerbate that problem to even a greater extent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The preseason game isn't part of the Season Ticket package. It wasn't last season either. It's 9 regular season games + 1 potential playoff game.
    It wasn't part of the ST package last year because the game was in Guelph. It was part of the package the first 2 years at BMO. I think it will be part of the package this season, but only as a bonus. Likely be priced at zero for ST holders because of the 11am start.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    There are pros and cons to the Argo schedule and previous posters have out lined those pros/cons very well. One issue not mentioned is the fact that between July 6 and Sept 20 there will be only 2 games at BMO. Two home game in 11 weeks (one day shy) is not beneficial in building up community support for the team. The media and general public pay scant enough attention to the team as it is. This could well exacerbate that problem to even a greater extent.
    Perhaps the lack of summer games is due to the belief that a lot of the fan base leave the city for the cottage at that time of year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    It wasn't part of the ST package last year because the game was in Guelph. It was part of the package the first 2 years at BMO. I think it will be part of the package this season, but only as a bonus. Likely be priced at zero for ST holders because of the 11am start.
    Maybe but the advertising for this years season ticket package said 9 regular season games + 1 potential playoff game. Although that has turned into 8 regular season games so maybe you're right and they'll look to make that missing game up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Perhaps the lack of summer games is due to the belief that a lot of the fan base leave the city for the cottage at that time of year?
    And yet after all these years I've yet to meet 1 Argonauts season ticket holder that owns a cottage. This myth has been repeated so many times that it's become an urban legend.

The Jays and TFC draw better on weekends. I guess that their fans don't have cottages?

New Fan
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Weekends at the Cottage

Some STH have cottages for sure. My wife and I have had season tickets for decades and we own a cottage in Haliburton. We rarely miss games because we plan out vacation time up north around the Argonauts' schedule. Sometimes it means changing arrival and departure times or not going at all on certain weekends. If we have a week planned up north we give the tickets to friends or family. It's really not that big of a deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by West Hill Wide Out View Post
    Some STH have cottages for sure. My wife and I have had season tickets for decades and we own a cottage in Haliburton. We rarely miss games because we plan out vacation time up north around the Argonauts' schedule. Sometimes it means changing arrival and departure times or not going at all on certain weekends. If we have a week planned up north we give the tickets to friends or family. It's really not that big of a deal.
    Welcome to the site!!

I plan my vacations around their schedule too. I've missed a total of 6 home games since the end of the 1980 season, and hated missing each and every one of them.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    My parents have a sailboat in Kingston that they are at on most weekends from early-May through late-September/early-October. The primary reason why my family weren't season ticket holders prior to 2005 was due to this, however the apparent turnaround under C & S and the 2004 Grey Cup win convinced them to buy seasons. They will stay back in Toronto for the occasion summer weekend game, but typically they'll give the tickets to my brother.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    And yet after all these years I've yet to meet 1 Argonauts season ticket holder that owns a cottage. This myth has been repeated so many times that it's become an urban legend.

The Jays and TFC draw better on weekends. I guess that their fans don't have cottages?
    Maybe you haven't met any STHs with cottages because some people with cottages don't buy seasons tickets. There is no scientific data to back either belief, but I remain convinced that most people who might be potential targets to become (or return to being) Argos fans see football as more of a fall sport than a summer sport. I would not have been surprised to see five home games in the fall, but having only three true home games in what's already a challenging summer schedule would have been too difficult.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Maybe you haven't met any STHs with cottages because some people with cottages don't buy seasons tickets. There is no scientific data to back either belief, but I remain convinced that most people who might be potential targets to become (or return to being) Argos fans see football as more of a fall sport than a summer sport. I would not have been surprised to see five home games in the fall, but having only three true home games in what's already a challenging summer schedule would have been too difficult.
    And I remain convenienced that this is an urban legend. If it was true TFC and the Jays wouldn't draw better on weekends, but they do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree that when the team is doing well especially, fall games draw better. I'll take it a step further and say that the rare Sunday afternoon games the Argos have played in the fall have also drawn rather well in comparison to other days. If you want to talk urban legends, the one that says the CFL can't draw fans head to head with the NFL schedule is a huge one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    And I remain convenienced that this is an urban legend. If it was true TFC and the Jays wouldn't draw better on weekends, but they do.
    And baseball is a summer sport.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm sure the team knew well ahead of time that they were going to play in the TD Atlantic game so not price season tickets accordingly? Or would that then lead to confusion/complaining or let the cat out the bag? I actually like attending the preseason game but at 11am probably won't. I get it, making it a school game, but to me its a waste of tickets for the STH that can't attend. Those tickets are viewed to me as a free game anyways so I'm not too upset but curious why Argos went out to role out the prices they did, only to refund you a credit. Especially when 2 games (really 1) are kind of wasted.

New Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Any word on whether STHs will have first dibs on tix for the Atlantic "home" game? A few days in Halifax might be a great road trip. Moncton? I guess so . . .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumble1971 View Post
    Any word on whether STHs will have first dibs on tix for the Atlantic "home" game? A few days in Halifax might be a great road trip. Moncton? I guess so . . .
    Back in 2010, we picked up our tickets through the Argos but were seated in the upper end zone with the other Argos fans. Perhaps this time the default process will be to offer preferential seats to STHs assuming fans will attend. Full refunds to those who don’t attend.

The Moncton experience was outstanding. Only two hotels. You can’t go out for dinner without tripping over the players. Head to The Keg and you’ll with most of the team.

Argos threw on a Fan evening at a local pub featuring MC Mike Hogan and the star players. We loved chatting with the likes of Cory Boyd, Chad Owens, Kevin Huntley, Willie Pile and Kevin Eiben.

They’ll probably throw on a CIS game the day prior as well. We were lucky to get stuck at Moncton Airport with Pinball, which was a weekend highlight.

CFL fans will love this weekend. I guarantee that those fans who attend, will become lifers.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Back in 2010, we picked up our tickets through the Argos but were seated in the upper end zone with the other Argos fans. Perhaps this time the default process will be to offer preferential seats to STHs assuming fans will attend.
    The primary goal of the game has to be to sell the CFL to Maritimers, not cater to Argo fans. That said, there likely will be a small enough contingent of Argo STHs going to the game that it should indeed be possible to give them decent seating and certainly not upper end zone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'll take it a step further and say that the rare Sunday afternoon games the Argos have played in the fall have also drawn rather well in comparison to other days. If you want to talk urban legends, the one that says the CFL can't draw fans head to head with the NFL schedule is a huge one.
    Agreed. I remember Chris Zelcovich (sp?) writing a coloumn about how the CFL drew better at the gate and got better ratings on Sundays. I also remember how poor the ratings were (comparatively speaking) when the CFL moved playoff games to Saturdays.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And baseball is a summer sport.
    And so is the CFL.

CFL starts in June and ends in November.
    MLB starts in April and ends in October.