Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Just got back this evening from overseas hiking holiday--so catching up on football activities. See Ford has provided a pending "bread and circus" piece of legislation. A lot of questions though. The Sun article appears to imply teams will have to approve. Does that mean applying for a permit and if so what accountability/liability might the organization have to assume?

Guess we will have to wait until we see the details in the legislation.
    I think I heard the parking lot will have the option to apply for a permit if they wish to sell alcohol.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I think I heard the parking lot will have the option to apply for a permit if they wish to sell alcohol.
    I wonder if it's a permit if they want to sell alcohol, or a permit to allow tailgating at all? Will there be designated lots with tailgating permits? (And will they jack up the parking price where tailgating is permitted?). Someone's going to figure out how to make money off this.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I wonder if it's a permit if they want to sell alcohol, or a permit to allow tailgating at all? Will there be designated lots with tailgating permits? (And will they jack up the parking price where tailgating is permitted?). Someone's going to figure out how to make money off this.
    The organization has the option to participate. They also have the option to sell the alcohol or to allow people to bring their own,

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wonder if USports will get behind this.

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Why would parking lots apply for a permit? We have been having tailgates at BMO jut outside the south gate for a couple of years, people bring their own beer.
    The "official" tailgates were across the Lakeshore at the Ontario Place lot but we prefer our own tailgates and then we head over to the Shipyards.
    Same thing in Hamilton at the various parking lots around THF, it's been going on for years, people bring their own booze.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    According to the legislation, if the parking lot wishes to get into the business to sell beer they need a permit. People are free to bring their own beer without a permit.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It would be nice if the Argonauts would let us know how they're going to proceed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    It would be nice if the Argonauts would let us know how they're going to proceed.
    I don’t believe the Argos will have anything to do with the tailgates.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just show up with a BBQ, plastic cups and some beer. That's what people were doing last year, people were responsible and thus no problems were encountered.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    According to the legislation, if the parking lot wishes to get into the business to sell beer they need a permit. People are free to bring their own beer without a permit.
    Not true. The team has to opt in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not true. The team has to opt in.
    ? I think people can tailgate at any parking lot in the GTA without permit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    "To hold a tailgate event, organizers must be issued a Tailgate Event Permit by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
    This new Tailgate Event Permit allows persons at least 19 years of age, or businesses, to host events where attendees can bring their own alcohol for consumption within the permitted area. Tailgate event permit holders also have the option of selling or serving alcohol to attendees, in addition to allowing patrons to bring their own alcohol.
    In order to be eligible for a Tailgate Event Permit, the tailgate event must be held outdoors, at ground level, and the event must be in connection with, and in proximity to a live professional, semi-professional or post-secondary sporting event."

https://www.agco.ca/bulletin/2019/in...ccasion-permit
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't tailgate myself, but I am all for the recent changes in legislation for reasons none of you would care to read from me.

Whatever your stance, I believe it is imperative both Argo and Ticat fans maintain their best behaviour on the 22nd. We all know how fired up we get when the Ticats come to town.

If this is the first organic tailgate in Toronto, there will be a lot of unseen eyes watching. One brawl and the whole privelage could be taken away forever. Do not mess this up.

I'm only saying this because if I DID tailgate, I would have to repeat this to myself over and over.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I don't tailgate myself, but I am all for the recent changes in legislation for reasons none of you would care to read from me.

Whatever your stance, I believe it is imperative both Argo and Ticat fans maintain their best behaviour on the 22nd. We all know how fired up we get when the Ticats come to town.

If this is the first organic tailgate in Toronto, there will be a lot of unseen eyes watching. One brawl and the whole privelage could be taken away forever. Do not mess this up.

I'm only saying this because if I DID tailgate, I would have to repeat this to myself over and over.
    There has not been any alterations between Hamilton and Toronto fans for some time, I doubt that will change on the 22nd.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I understand the law was changing to permit:

1. BYOB tailgating; plus
    2. ‘Permitted’ tailgating.

“You can do your BYOB tailgating, but obviously all the laws still apply. (The police) will still be checking for drinking and driving, they’re still going to be doing all the social responsible things. Adults know they can’t drink and drive. Adults know they shouldn’t consume too much. Some people could get carried away, but that’s going to happen whether you have tailgating or not. This is the just government treating adults like adults.”

Tailgating is a huge part of many U.S. sporting events.

One just has to cross the border from Fort Erie to see how popular the practice is at Buffalo Bills games.

“It’s not just for Booze hounds,” the source said.

“The are families going down there and having their BBQs and doing their thing and it becomes part of their experience. Tailgating at Bills games is a great time and it adds to the atmosphere and adds to the fun. But when your cross the border (to Ontario) and try to do something similar at a professional sporting event here, it’s big government, nanny-state stuff. Again, we want to treat adults like adults.”

The amendment (to Ontario regulation 389/91) legalizing tailgating will come down when the Ontario government releases its budget on Thursday.

The amendment will also allow permit holders to sell their own alcohol on their premises (if that’s the way teams want to go instead of the BYOB option), like setting up a beer tent outside the stadium — something the Toronto Argonauts tried recently.”

https://torontosun.com/sports/baseba...porting-events

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    So based on the above, does the CNE grounds need a tailgate permit?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm inclined to assume that the published regulations apply to all forms of tailgating, but I'm obviously not a lawyer or regulatory expert.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don’t know where to find the new regulations, if there are any regarding private tailgating. But if the government only amended the permit tailgating they certainly sound disingenuous in retrospect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don’t know where to find the new regulations, if there are any regarding private tailgating. But if the government only amended the permit tailgating they certainly sound disingenuous in retrospect.
    I don't know exactly what the govt said previously about "private" tailgating, but it seems pretty logical to me that any public consumption of alcohol would come under a regulatory regime, and the only regulation I could find was the one I posted about "events." The alternative -- letting anyone tailgate whenever/wherever they want -- would be tantamount to saying you can walk down the street drinking alcohol. Even Ford's Conservatives aren't ready for that, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have to assume that parking lots in the proximity of BMO Field would have to apply for a non-alcohol sale” permit and then post “tailgate” option at the entrance and add a premium (say $5) for the tailgate option to all parking spaces. A tidy profit for them.

Given the size of the losses accrued to tailgating by Argos previously, I expect MLSE to pass on the idea of selling beer. GTA parking lots are not setup to get in the alcohol delivery business, and would likely make less money doing so.

Even less likely for MLSE to get involved since they’ve moved the Shipyard is moving to the north end zone of BMO Field and will save considerable money selling beer within the confines of an already licensed facility - BMO Field.