Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

An odd question...but here goes.

To a degree this question will be for those of a certain vintage, but I will ask it anyway.

For those who remember going to games at CNE Stadium, what are your fondest memories of going there? Not what happened on the field, but the whole game-day experience. I want you hit up your memory bank with every conceivable nuance that made going there as much fun as it was for you.

If that means admitting you liked throwing empty mickey bottles at Ticat fans (and who doesn't love that?), fess up.

The stronger the positive memory, the more I want to hear about it...no matter how miniscule.

Thanks in advance.

If you're not that old, please let me know what little things you enjoy about going to outdoor games in other CFL markets, or NFL, NCAA or U Sports games.
    If you're a Queen's fan, talk about the bagpipes...I'm looking for anything here that stands out and makes you feel nostalgic, or just pumps you up about going to a live football game.

Thanks again.

Hoagie

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well...allowing security to search my gym bag while my pal Bob walked in with the whisky under his coat at the last ever Argo regular season game at CNE....my first ever live CFL game was the 83 Eastern Final....fans were ravenous....how I wish that could return.. .the guy with the afro and thick mustache that would do cartwheels on the Jays dugout while spelling "Argos" with his body ( I think that was Paul Woods)....the Argo helmet that would drive up and down the sidelines....the blue paint that covered the stadium made it feel like home...

I could go on and on....
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 01-30-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    the guy with the afro and thick mustache that would do cartwheels on the Jays dugout while spelling "Argos" with his body ( I think that was Paul Woods)....the Argo helmet that would drive up and down the sidelines
    Sadly, that wasn't me (altho I did have an Afro back in the day), but that guy was brilliant, a huge part of the fan experience. And so was the Argo helmet car. Great memories.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Sadly, that wasn't me (altho I did have an Afro back in the day), but that guy was brilliant, a huge part of the fan experience. And so was the Argo helmet car. Great memories.
    Lol.....did cartwheel guy always wear a white #32 jersey???..and when ever I had seats in the grand stand, there was always a post that obstructed about 10 yards of the field 🤣

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    For me, it was little things I loved. The packed streetcars from Bathurst subway were great, until I discovered the express buses from Keele. Filled with Argos fans just gave a great pre-game feeling with tons of energy.

There was the Dude with the fu manchu that would lead the fans with the A-R-G-O-S..Argos..Argos..Argos chant from the baseball dugout roof after every touchdown, followed by his cartwheels (1 for each TD scored).

On a personal note, I remember getting my father to do at least a little grocery shopping at A&P (like all others of European descent, he was strictly a Knob Hills Farms guy) so I can take advantage of the $0.99 tickets, until 1981, when I bought my first set of season tickets in the Scotiabank boosters section in the endzone ($33).

And finally, nothing like 35k+ fans chanting Aaaaaarrrgggggoooooosssss after a victory as we were leaving the stadium, heading down the spiral walkways to get back to the gate.

Almost forgot, upon leaving the game, the number of empty booze bottles on the ground below the emptying seats at a time when beer was not sold at games. Who can forget the "Family size cokes", with the little cups which we all know wasn't for family purposes at all.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 01-31-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Section 5 Row#27 Seats 34-35 for my dad and I.
    Wonderful days down at Exhibition Stadium.
    We parked at by the Dempsters plant by Liberty Street and walked to the stadium, great atmosphere.
    Dad and I enjoyed spending the time together watching our team, back then you really got to know the regulars that sat close to you and you really felt a sense of community.
    Exhibition stadium had its issues but I loved that place.
    I’m sure many will agree we miss being 30+ years younger as well!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I know that CNE had the nickname "mistake by the lake," but part of me would want a time machine to be able to go back and experience a game there when Argos popularity was at it's peak.

At 32, except for a few specific games, I haven't been able to experience any of that.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    One of my strongest memories of my early games at CNE was the number of fights in the stands. Every so often you'd see a few sections stand up to see what was going on as the cops rushed to the scene to break things up.

Not that I wasn't an Argo fan before, but it really left an impression on me that the Argos could inspire that level of passion. I miss those days.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    No one mention the bathroom situation back in those days especially on the grandstand side of things....no one.....it's up there with the troughs at MLG......ha ha ha.....

On a positive note --- the Cartwheels and Argos being spelled out in human form was always a treat --- there was a definitely rougher vibe back in the day in terms of the fans in the stands (it was not a place to be with kids in my opinion - despite me being a kid there in the 70s - ha ha ha), general drunkenness and rowdy behaviors that as a younger person was both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.....Sitting on cold metal benches and never feeling wetter and more miserable than losing the last game there to Winnipeg in the Eastern Final in 88....the 84 East Final loss was also particularly galling at the time.....the wind, oh that chill you to the bone wind......

Like others have mentioned, A&P was a great deal back in those days for .99 or 1.99 for a playoff game too (?!).....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Only saw a Jays game there. As a kid, I only remember how aweful everyone thought the stadium was and how awesome the Skydome was going to be or was.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I went to game in the late 1970s, must have been 1979, as a Cub Scout. I remember it was so cold and we had really crappy seats, but I was so mesmerized by the huge crowd and the game. I am pretty sure it was against the Cats. That was my first experience at a professional game, and it made me an Argos fan for life.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Well...allowing security to search my gym bag while my pal Bob walked in with the whisky under his coat at the last ever Argo regular season game at CNE....my first ever live CFL game was the 83 Eastern Final....fans were ravenous....how I wish that could return.. .the guy with the afro and thick mustache that would do cartwheels on the Jays dugout while spelling "Argos" with his body ( I think that was Paul Woods)....the Argo helmet that would drive up and down the sidelines....the blue paint that covered the stadium made it feel like home...

I could go on and on....
    I 100% agree!!! Loved the cartwheels... I remember he was in the dome for the first year or so and never saw him again. I believe he was just a fan, not a paid employee of the team. I remember as a kid the family sized cokes with the little cups and people mixing drinks. Didn't make much sense to me as a kid. I think the quantity of people really helped create a good atmosphere. A great deal of passion in the stands and in the city for the team. Still hope that the passion will return.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I remember sitting in the south stands with my dad before the baseball addition. They were built as temporary stands and were used for decades.

I remember being jammed into a full stadium. Getting out of your seat wasn’t easy and I don’t think we tried.

We tried busing from Keele. Mostly drove. I remember the traffic snarl after the game. At least an hour in the parking glued to the postgame show.

Dad wouldn’t pay the concession prices. Mom bought a large bag of peanuts the week prior and made mini bags for us.

Dad always shelled out for a program. He loved every player on that team. Characters like ‘Tricky’ Dicky, Bobby Taylor and Dick Shatto.

We had a handheld AM radio to get CFRB’S take on the big plays.

I recall staggering fans trying to maneuver their way to the toilets & back to the seats. Some never finding their way back.

I fondly remember when a woman made her way to the toilet, much of the section say ‘we know where you’re going!” They got very embarrassed,
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 02-02-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Nobody has mentioned the slip sliding grass turf laid down after the CNE stage was removed. But everything changed after the Blue Jays came to town including the stadium and artificial turf. Not for the better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    I 100% agree!!! Loved the cartwheels... I remember he was in the dome for the first year or so and never saw him again. I believe he was just a fan, not a paid employee of the team. I remember as a kid the family sized cokes with the little cups and people mixing drinks. Didn't make much sense to me as a kid. I think the quantity of people really helped create a good atmosphere. A great deal of passion in the stands and in the city for the team. Still hope that the passion will return.
    Gee Tim, how old were you at CNE Stadium....2?🤔

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Nobody has mentioned the slip sliding grass turf laid down after the CNE stage was removed. But everything changed after the Blue Jays came to town including the stadium and artificial turf. Not for the better.
    Oh that seam that went across the field due to the baseball fence was dangerous.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    The one thing I enjoy most about TFC games compared to other teams is the authenticity.
    With 45 min continued action, you're watching the game.
    All other sports have huge breaks in action, and they are pumped full of commercials, the dance pack, loud dj music, the scoreboard telling you to get loud.
    It feels fake and annoying, and sometimes kills a genuine crowd experience.
    I dont need to be promoted to say arrrgoooos (which for the record as a cheer has strayed far from its roots).
    BMO I think was thought to inspire a throwback nostalgic feel, and it never did. It just provided the same experience as the dome but with worse traffic.
    I think tailgating would really help with atmosphere. It isnt for everyone but it just feels like football.
    Why is it legal for me to smoke a big joint on the walk into the stadium but not drink a beer?
    The gameday experience begins with the walk into the stadium
    Best football experience I've been to in past 2 years was the Panda game in Ottawa. Canadian university football. 20k fans, no fights but lots of booze. Everyone in school.colors. just amazing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Pretty sure it is not legal to smoke a big joint on the way to the stadium.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It actually is:

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ont...ment-1.4110687

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/09/...-legalization/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Paul, about what year did stadiums begin to blare music between plays...I don't seem to recall it at CNE.