Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Follow up to my 'odd question' thread.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other thread, I enjoyed reading all of them.

Now the real work begins, and I'm looking for more ideas. How do we take some of those great memories and implement them at BMO Field? We talked about somersault guy, but how do we do that without it seeming staged? It sounds like part of the fun of watching him was that he was just a random fan having more fun...and THAT'S something we want to do each and every game day, make the outing as much fun as possible, which is the reason why I posted this in the first place. If something mentioned here is potentially transferable we'd love to know.

For instance, some of you mentioned travelling to the game, including the walk. Some of you may not think much of it, but it you're making the trek from the Shipyard to the game with (depending on your age) your peers, your child, or your grandchild, they might be talking about that 20-30 years from now as one of the highlights of being an Argo fan in their formative years...simply walking to the game with you. Enjoy it for what it is and celebrate the fact you're doing it with other Argo fans. I'd LOVE to be able to take part in the fan march for that reason alone.

This board is for die hards, and as people who go to the games I'm going to continually ask for your ideas because collectively this is our team.

When I asked for DMs late last year, I included each and every one of them in a presentation to management and I can guarantee you that some of them will be implemented this season, so thank you SO MUCH for that. All we want to do as an organization is make going to an Argo game the best experience on the Toronto sports calendar.

I sat in with the people from ticketing the other day and was blown away by what they were able to do last year, especially coming in late after the sale to MLSE and not having a full off-season to work their magic. As an outsider to that department my eyes were opened wide by what I saw and just how great these people are at their jobs. Some really good things are happening off the field, in the community, at the grass-roots level, and on the field. I was SO happy to see the player signings this week.

This is a REALLY good time to be an Argo fan, and as an organization we want to make it even better.

I'm truly looking forward to your suggestions, either on this thread or via direct message.

Arrrrrrgoooooos!

Hoagie

New Fan
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Real Grass at BMO

BMO offers a number of memorable items each visit. Certainly $5 beers and $7 sausages are a good start, great sight lines and walking distance from GO trains. But to me the most memorable thing is the playing turf and on a warm, humid day the smell of real grass. The quality of that turf is excellent and it changes the game in my opinion. The Argonauts have a number of challenges, but the real turf at BMO is the best surface in the league. Finding a good fix to the one end zone where artificial turf is used should be a priority.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    It is. I specifically asked someone about the turf on Friday. I have no idea what the solution is, but I know it's being addressed.

We know we have a great surface, the lowest ticket prices in the league, the best sightlines in the league...we're trying to improve our in-game experience. I'm wide open to (realistic) suggestions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think I'm the wrong person to ask, because I love the game day experience as it is.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    What do you like the most? Why?

How about pre- and post-game?

Think hard...we want to get better.

I'm THRILLED you have a great time at the games by the way. Bring more friends!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I mentioned it already in my DM to you but they really have to get rid of that rickety unused grandstand in the North Endzone. That used to be a great common area for gathering and watching the game. Now it's just a giant waste of space.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I mentioned it already in my DM to you but they really have to get rid of that rickety unused grandstand in the North Endzone. That used to be a great common area for gathering and watching the game. Now it's just a giant waste of space.
    I could not agree with you more. Loved watching pre game warm-up there until that bleacher was erected.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    And you could catch footballs from the game! That was an awesome aspect to that space besides being a cool place to hand out and watch the game, and I remember being there with my two kids and their excitement at the prospect of catching a football. Get rid of the stands, and have that as a feature of the game-- no nets, you can catch a football!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post

Great sightlines, watching games outdoor while still being sheltered from the weather
    Turn the PA system down a bit so that you can still have a conversation without yelling.
    Perhaps more post game on field meet and greet autograph events (great for the younger fans).
    Minor details for me in the big picture, I really have no major complaint otherwise.
    One thing the Ticats do at their in stadium store is offer a customized jersey service on sight, I took advantage of this last season for my son, not sure if the demand is there but at $200 per jersey may be a cool service to offer?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Good point!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree with that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Impossible to say Hoagie. When it comes to Argos football, I'm an easy sell, and can't understand why there aren't more people like me. My ST group has gone from 2 to 4 over the years, and whenever the team has flash sales as it did for the opener and the CNE game, I always buy some more to give to friends.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Impossible to say Hoagie. When it comes to Argos football, I'm an easy sell, and can't understand why there aren't more people like me. My ST group has gone from 2 to 4 over the years, and whenever the team has flash sales as it did for the opener and the CNE game, I always buy some more to give to friends.
    I have a similar experience. Every single time that I've brought people to an Argonauts game they've enjoyed themselves and said they would attend again, even at the Rogers Centre. I always ask them if it's more fun than a Blue Jays game and 100% have said yes.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

As a kid, there was always buzz to go out to SkyDome for a game on the weekend. Just watching the game sold me. Lately, I'm guessing with the bad seasons, there just isn't a buzz anymore (I've also got older) but there is not one thing that I can say is the cause for this buzz. This season just felt like a chore.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think that MLSE should add the season ticket holder discount on merchandise to concessions too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    What I appreciate the most about the Argos and the CFL apart from the onfield product is the access to the players and the offseason events. Argos recently have been inconsistent with their events. For example, the locker room sales take place some years and not other years. Fan Appreciation Day important some years and held prior to the season, other years during the season. The Argos have a number of players residing all season in the Toronto area and it isn’t inconceivable to put together a monthly event. ie., “watch the Super Bowl with the Argos”. Perhaps more community types of events and rely on partners in areas such Durham, Markham & Peel to put on events. Tie them to charities.

Parent/children fan combinations are very powerful. Putting together a hardcore fan with the next generation fan at games and offseason events have to be a priority. In recent years we’ve been fortunate to meet and get to know other hardcore father/son, father/daughter, mother/son & mother/daughter fan combinations across the country and on social media. In Toronto many of these combinations seem to be the 70s fans and their children, while in other markets the combination they seem younger.

Toronto once had maybe the strongest social media team, but a constant turnover in that department has resulted in inconsistent social media - important to the younger demographic.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    I personally would love to see a quiet quarter where the music would be turned off. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd. The music and the lack of a kids area (which I mentioned to you before Hoagie) are the weakpoints of the in-game experience. The stadium needs a kids area with a sightline to the game for Dad.

Run the quiet quarter as an experiement and then do a poll to see what fans think of it. But I love watching old broadcasts of games where all you hear is the PA announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Great sightlines, watching games outdoor while still being sheltered from the weather
    Turn the PA system down a bit so that you can still have a conversation without yelling.
    Perhaps more post game on field meet and greet autograph events (great for the younger fans).
    Minor details for me in the big picture, I really have no major complaint otherwise.
    One thing the Ticats do at their in stadium store is offer a customized jersey service on sight, I took advantage of this last season for my son, not sure if the demand is there but at $200 per jersey may be a cool service to offer?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    What I appreciate the most about the Argos and the CFL apart from the onfield product is the access to the players and the offseason events. Argos recently have been inconsistent with their events. For example, the locker room sales take place some years and not other years. Fan Appreciation Day important some years and held prior to the season, other years during the season. The Argos have a number of players residing all season in the Toronto area and it isn’t inconceivable to put together a monthly event. ie., “watch the Super Bowl with the Argos”. Perhaps more community types of events and rely on partners in areas such Durham, Markham & Peel to put on events. Tie them to charities.

Parent/children fan combinations are very powerful. Putting together a hardcore fan with the next generation fan at games and offseason events have to be a priority. In recent years we’ve been fortunate to meet and get to know other hardcore father/son, father/daughter, mother/son & mother/daughter fan combinations across the country and on social media. In Toronto many of these combinations seem to be the 70s fans and their children, while in other markets the combination they seem younger.

Toronto once had maybe the strongest social media team, but a constant turnover in that department has resulted in inconsistent social media - important to the younger demographic.
    All good points. I remember as a teenager the Argos would have a monthly luncheon at Shopsy's honouring their player of the month. That was cool. Before moving from 33 Yonge to the Sheraton Centre, there were tons of pictures on the wall at Shopsy's from these events. Not sure if the pictures are at the new location, as I have not been there.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    All good points. I remember as a teenager the Argos would have a monthly luncheon at Shopsy's honouring their player of the month. That was cool. Before moving from 33 Yonge to the Sheraton Centre, there were tons of pictures on the wall at Shopsy's from these events. Not sure if the pictures are at the new location, as I have not been there.
    The Shopsy's is sorta blended in with an Irish Pub now. I was in there, and didn't really note anything Argo related.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The Shopsy's is sorta blended in with an Irish Pub now. I was in there, and didn't really note anything Argo related.
    That's a shame.