BRIDGE SPEAKS ON JOINING ARGOS

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2019/02/b...medium=twitter

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Has he made any appearances with 1050 or 590 yet?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Has he made any appearances with 1050 or 590 yet?
    looks like he is still is regina

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The above has been a very interesting discussion, as to how to encourage the development and use of NAT QB's. There were some very valid points made by all who expressed their opinions. But---while we are on the discussion of roster rules, why not allow all active players to dress for games. Sitting a couple of active players out each game, seems a little silly. Paying an active player not to play just doesn't make good sense. Anyway --again just my view --feel free to disagree.
    I've wondered about that myself. I think the reason is that if something happens to a player pre-game, injury, illness whatever...he can be replaced on the roster. If there were no game day scratches, this type of scenario would have a team play 1 man down. Guessing players on IR and PR would not be eligible for activation.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    looks like he is still is regina
    Technology!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    The answer is simple IMO. Scrap the three QB rule and go with 21 Canadians and 23 Imports. Ratio of 7 stays the same. Watch Coaches start looking for a Canadian QB if they want to use another Import spot as a DI instead of a 3rd string QB holding a clip board.

I've got a different but also simple solution/idea on this one (and guaranteed CFL GOBs and their dupes would never go for it - but anyways : Increase Canadian content on CFL rosters and decrease American content. 44 man roster (still too many IMO, but that's another matter and the Players Association would not like a decrease in total # of jobs) - 23 Nationals and 21 imports (of which 3 are DIs); this would make the import players more valued, and if teams still want to carry whatever import QBs they can drag up here for the #2 and/or #3 spots and use up import space that way - so be it.

24 starting positions combined on O & D - if a team chooses just one back-up import QB, that would leave them 17 other import spots to fill starting jobs = same as what you get now with standard GOB thinking - 7 Canadians only need apply for starting jobs. Would still be a large majority of Americans filling starting jobs with GOB thinking still in place.

A majority of roster spots in the CANADIAN Football League for Canadian players ? - OMG, nooooooooooo! - what a "radical" concept.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I've got a different but also simple solution/idea on this one (and guaranteed CFL GOBs and their dupes would never go for it - but anyways : Increase Canadian content on CFL rosters and decrease American content. 44 man roster (still too many IMO, but that's another matter and the Players Association would not like a decrease in total # of jobs) - 23 Nationals and 21 imports (of which 3 are DIs); this would make the import players more valued, and if teams still want to carry whatever import QBs they can drag up here for the #2 and/or #3 spots and use up import space that way - so be it.

24 starting positions combined on O & D - if a team chooses just one back-up import QB, that would leave them 17 other import spots to fill starting jobs = same as what you get now with standard GOB thinking - 7 Canadians only need apply for starting jobs. Would still be a large majority of Americans filling starting jobs with GOB thinking still in place.

A majority of roster spots in the CANADIAN Football League for Canadian players ? - OMG, nooooooooooo! - what a "radical" concept.
    also a 'majority' of coaches should be cdn too
    Last edited by john; 02-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Technology!
    What passes for technology in Saskatchewan?
    :-)

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    What passes for technology in Saskatchewan?
    :-)
    2 pigs next to a potash mine ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It must be a full moon. I agree with OV.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level

I think the problem is that there are just not enough Canadians playing football. How many high schools in the GTA still have a football program?
    I think someone mentioned that out of 125 high schools there are only 25 with football program and many struggle to fill rosters.
    Some CIS teams are struggling to fill rosters, the well is drying up. It will only get worse as more schools drop their football programs either because of the lack of kids playing it but also more and more parents don't want their kids playing football, also the high expense and the increase in insurance costs for high schools.

Why is it important mandate more Canadians on a team? isn't the biggest criticism by non-CFL fans, is that we don't have the best players and we mandate Canadians that are not as talented.
    Judging by the attendance at Jays, Raptors, TFC most fans couldn't care less there are very few Canadians on the rosters. Sports fans want to see the sport and the best players playing at the highest level.
    Do you think that having more Canadians would actually increase attendance??
    I've heard it over and over again that the Argos are not seen as "major league" in Toronto and mandating more Canadians on rosters doesn't help that.
    I think most sports fans would want to see the best athletes competing for a position. After all it's not the Olympics where we are cheering for Canadians, it's professional sports.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    I think the problem is that there are just not enough Canadians playing football. How many high schools in the GTA still have a football program?
    I think someone mentioned that out of 125 high schools there are only 25 with football program and many struggle to fill rosters.
    Some CIS teams are struggling to fill rosters, the well is drying up. It will only get worse as more schools drop their football programs either because of the lack of kids playing it but also more and more parents don't want their kids playing football, also the high expense and the increase in insurance costs for high schools.

Why is it important mandate more Canadians on a team? isn't the biggest criticism by non-CFL fans, is that we don't have the best players and we mandate Canadians that are not as talented.
    Judging by the attendance at Jays, Raptors, TFC most fans couldn't care less there are very few Canadians on the rosters. Sports fans want to see the sport and the best players playing at the highest level.
    Do you think that having more Canadians would actually increase attendance??
    I've heard it over and over again that the Argos are not seen as "major league" in Toronto and mandating more Canadians on rosters doesn't help that.
    I think most sports fans would want to see the best athletes competing for a position. After all it's not the Olympics where we are cheering for Canadians, it's professional sports.
    You're entitled to your own view of the CFL and Canadian football.

I'm for LOTS of Canadian content in the CANADIAN Football League - and because there is plenty of it out there to stock 20 + roster spots in just a nine team league; and I'm all for outstanding American talent getting to play in the CFL - and IMO that's maybe 10 to 15 players on average on most CFL teams; the rest that get favored and handed roster spots by the mostly Americans running CFL team do zip-o (IMO) to improve the calibre or profile or perception of the league.

The wannabes who look down their noses at the CFL and consider it inferior or minor league because it features lower paid players or guys who aren't in the all-mighty over-hyped NFL, are not going to change their minds if the CFL adds a few more average American players - the minds are made up and shut closed there. And next to no new fans would be gained by adding more American content - or do you believe the CFL is missing out on some superstar NFL talent that would attract legions of new fans because they have a ratio? And BTW/FYI - in case you are one of the many who don't know - all sorts of pro leagues in different sports around the world have ratios for national players/content - Japanese baseball, European hockey, even English Premiere league soccer. Not sure how many of them allow for over 50% foreign content that the CFL has evolved to? Is the CFL more popular now than ever before?

However - yes - i do believe the CFL could gain a few more fans if they started promoting and hyping Canadian talent in the league, and by increasing it. Some might want to follow a league that features players who have worked hard and are proud to play in the historic, top pro league in their own country, and players they may have had a chance to follow or hear about from minor ball up thru Junior or college ball. I have heard from some football fans who have no use for the CFL precisely because it favors and allows for so many American players, and have been disappointed that so many top Canadian players (QBs in particular for sure) never got a chance to play in the big pro league in their own country.

Who told you the "well is drying up" ? - that's just total B$ and hogwash - their are more U Sports teams than ever (like powerhouse Laval or Montreal in the Q or the Regina Rams who have produced several NFL players) and overall talent in Canadian college ball has gone up; there are still lots of very good Junior ball programs - football is played all over Canada, FYI; and there are still plenty of Canadian players who get recruited to fine training & play in US college ball programs - and a good number of them return home to play in the CFL. Again - there is plenty of Canadian football talent out there to stock a 9 or 10 team CFL; it's just a shame (IMO) that it gets so little respect of faces ignorance of it's numbers and calibre. It's the gullible and ignorant who believe increasing American content in the CFL is somehow going to make the league magically "better" or more popular that baffle me. There is ZERO evidence of this - with decades of the CFL going down that road.

Time to re-patriate the CFL IMO; and not to wave the flag; but to show pride in our own brand of gridiron football and to feature more of our own top talent in it. You prefer Americans running things in our country?; so wannabes can applaud and take notice ? WTF ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level

I'm for LOTS of Canadian content in the CANADIAN Football League - and because there is plenty of it out there to stock 20 + roster spots in just a nine team league; and I'm all for outstanding American talent getting to play in the CFL - and IMO that's maybe 10 to 15 players on average on most CFL teams; the rest that get favored and handed roster spots by the mostly Americans running CFL team do zip-o (IMO) to improve the calibre or profile or perception of the league.

The wannabes who look down their noses at the CFL and consider it inferior or minor league because it features lower paid players or guys who aren't in the all-mighty over-hyped NFL, are not going to change their minds if the CFL adds a few more average American players - the minds are made up and shut closed there. And next to no new fans would be gained by adding more American content - or do you believe the CFL is missing out on some superstar NFL talent that would attract legions of new fans because they have a ratio? And BTW/FYI - in case you are one of the many who don't know - all sorts of pro leagues in different sports around the world have ratios for national players/content - Japanese baseball, European hockey, even English Premiere league soccer. Not sure how many of them allow for over 50% foreign content that the CFL has evolved to? Is the CFL more popular now than ever before?

However - yes - i do believe the CFL could gain a few more fans if they started promoting and hyping Canadian talent in the league, and by increasing it. Some might want to follow a league that features players who have worked hard and are proud to play in the historic, top pro league in their own country, and players they may have had a chance to follow or hear about from minor ball up thru Junior or college ball. I have heard from some football fans who have no use for the CFL precisely because it favors and allows for so many American players, and have been disappointed that so many top Canadian players (QBs in particular for sure) never got a chance to play in the big pro league in their own country.

Who told you the "well is drying up" ? - that's just total B$ and hogwash - their are more U Sports teams than ever (like powerhouse Laval or Montreal in the Q or the Regina Rams who have produced several NFL players) and overall talent in Canadian college ball has gone up; there are still lots of very good Junior ball programs - football is played all over Canada, FYI; and there are still plenty of Canadian players who get recruited to fine training & play in US college ball programs - and a good number of them return home to play in the CFL. Again - there is plenty of Canadian football talent out there to stock a 9 or 10 team CFL; it's just a shame (IMO) that it gets so little respect of faces ignorance of it's numbers and calibre. It's the gullible and ignorant who believe increasing American content in the CFL is somehow going to make the league magically "better" or more popular that baffle me. There is ZERO evidence of this - with decades of the CFL going down that road.

Time to re-patriate the CFL IMO; and not to wave the flag; but to show pride in our own brand of gridiron football and to feature more of our own top talent in it. You prefer Americans running things in our country?; so wannabes can applaud and take notice ? WTF ???
    I read that Canadian qb Christian Strong, (Seaton Hill) who participated in last year's CFL combine signed a contract to play in the GFL (Germany) after playing last season in Australia.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree with OV, Canadian players should be playing in the Canadian Football League.
    Wouldn’t be the same with little to no Canadian players in the league.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I agree with OV, Canadian players should be playing in the Canadian Football League.
    My sentiments exactly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I agree too. I think Canadians are the ones that most care about the league and therefore keep the league going. Are they as polished out of college as American players? No. But thanks to the ratio, they get an opportunity to play and develop, and by their 3rd year or so in the league, they have caught up.

My biggest reason for not wanting to drop the ratio though is that without it, player turnover throughout the league would be even worse than it is now, and IMO, it would make the league irrelevant just like every spring league that has ever started south of the border.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Neat strawman, guys. I don't see anyone arguing for "Americans running things in our country" or "little to no Canadian players in the league".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Neat strawman, guys. I don't see anyone arguing for "Americans running things in our country" or "little to no Canadian players in the league".
    Yeah, that is a little extreme to say the least.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post

Player/roster content in the CANADIAN Football League is now over 50% American/import. Total up key football decision making positions (GM, Director of personnel, HC & all coaches) on CFL teams, and it's probably 75% or more American. Not American enough for you? Would you like to see it change to even more American content? Why not? After all, "I just want to see the "best" " players and coaches get to play in, and run the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

100% Agree.