Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I say it'll never happen.
    I agree. November is a dead month as far as big sporting events go. No way TSN will want to give that up, not to mention the threat should the Blue Jays one day make it back to the World Series. Unlikely as that is, it would be a disaster for the CFL to have their playoffs go against a Blue Jays run.

And I realize that start times wouldn’t overlap, but many people really underestimate the importance of being the top story in National Sports news. Starting the season against NHL playoffs and ending against World Series is bad business for the CFL.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree. November is a dead month as far as big sporting events go. No way TSN will want to give that up, not to mention the threat should the Blue Jays one day make it back to the World Series. Unlikely as that is, it would be a disaster for the CFL to have their playoffs go against a Blue Jays run.

And I realize that start times wouldn’t overlap, but many people really underestimate the importance of being the top story in National Sports news. Starting the season against NHL playoffs and ending against World Series is bad business for the CFL.
    I agree about November but for the past few seasons the CFL has started the season while the last round of the NHL playoffs are still going. But Canadians teams have been knocked out by the end of April and ratings drop after that. With the NHL expanding again and still requiring the same number of games I can see the NHL playoffs going into July.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    But it's not about what you like, the fact is that the NFL ratings have doubled in the past 5 years and the CFL ratings have stagnated.
    TSN can get good ratings for the CFL playoffs on Saturday AND they can carry an NFL game on TSN and another one on CTV and get great ratings.
    Right now TSN has nothing on Saturdays in November and now can get pretty good ratings for the Saturday CFL playoffs and the Sunday NFL games, makes sense.
    It would be interesting to see what CFL ratings looked like if they too were on CTV and got the promotion that the NFL does in this country.

I am not crazy about the Saturday playoff games but would be more enthusiastic if it meant that CTV simulcasted the games, as there would be no reason why they couldn't on Saturday.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

Or go with 2 preseason games and a 16 game schedule.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree about November but for the past few seasons the CFL has started the season while the last round of the NHL playoffs are still going.
    This is simply not true. Here are the dates for last five years:

Stanley Cup awarded/CFL Game 1

2018 June 7/June 14

2017 June 11/June 22

2016 June 12/June 23

2015 June 15/June 25

2014 June 13/June 26
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree about November but for the past few seasons the CFL has started the season while the last round of the NHL playoffs are still going. But Canadians teams have been knocked out by the end of April and ratings drop after that. With the NHL expanding again and still requiring the same number of games I can see the NHL playoffs going into July.
    As Paul points out the league has never played a regular season game prior to the end of the Stanley Cup finals. Regarding Canadian teams going to the finals, I don’t believe it matters. TSN has way to wall coverage of the NHL playoffs on Spoetscentre regardless of who is there. They have a huge crew on the road at every game in the finals and the CFL would get backed up 15 minutes into the show on sportscentre. If they continue to start after the playoffs are over, the opening of the season will continue to lead off sportscentre. Sorry, but that is very important.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Or go with 2 preseason games and a 16 game schedule.
    I think they'll never go back to 16. History tells us that North American pro leagues rarely reduce games. Goodell floated the 18 & 2 model in the last NFL CBA negotiations, and will apparently try again next time. If he gets his way, the NFL season will be extended further rather than start earlier as he wants more games in February, which is a sweeps month.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This is simply not true. Here are the dates for last five years:

Stanley Cup awarded/CFL Game 1

2018 June 7/June 14

2017 June 11/June 22

2016 June 12/June 23

2015 June 15/June 25

2014 June 13/June 26
    Stop with the facts!

In other trivia, the Grey Cup was played on November 16th (3rd last Sunday of the month) twice in recent history -- 1997 and 2003. But that still meant the playoffs started in November, which is a policy I think the league will always keep. There were also a number of December Grey Cups: 1972, three times in the 60s, and 20 times from 1909-45.