Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ferguson looks at some of the players creating favourable early impressions at the National Combine.

1. Chris Osei-Kusi | WR, Queen’s
    With top receiving prospect Justin McInnis sitting out this weekend’s testing, someone had to step up and Chris Osei-Kusi answered the bell. The Queen’s receiver didn’t have the best year statistically but impressed scouts with not only his physical traits but his personality and demeanour.
    “With 19 reps, Osei-Kusi set the standard for physicality at the receiver position in this combine and draft,” said Ferguson. “We already know he’s going to run a good 40 time and can catch the ball smoothly — adding the bench press to his resume won’t do anything but help.”
    Ferguson said the six-foot, 192-pound receiver could easily be a first round pick come the May 2 CFL Draft.
    “I talked to a couple of scouts and he interviewed crazy well,” said Ferguson. “He was asked by one scout in an interview Friday to explain his decreased production in 2018. The scout was fully expecting him to answer by blaming his quarterback or his coach, but Osei-Kusi explained that when certain teams decided to roll coverage his way, he just played his role and did anything he could to help the team. He’s tested well, he interviews well, he’s an engaging personality and he looks like a first round pick.” ...

2. Robbie Smith | DL, Laurier
    Already the CFL Draft’s projected sixth overall pick by Ferguson (Mock Draft 1.0), Robbie Smith lived up to the lofty expectations on Saturday, putting up strong numbers in both the bench press and vertical. Smith’s 36-inch vertical was the best for a defensive lineman since Stefan Charles (37 inches) in 2013, while his 23 reps on the bench press were better than his draft comparable and fellow Laurier graduates Kwaku Boateng (15) and Ese Mrabure (17).
    “The thing I was impressed about with Robbie Smith is he was competitive in the bench with interior defensive linemen like Connor Griffiths from UBC and Vincent Desjardins from Laval, which I didn’t expect,” said Ferguson. “With his length and athleticism, being able to match those defensive tackle type bodies was unexpected and a really good sign of the work that he has put in to this point.”
    Ferguson believes Smith can close the deal on being a top prospect with a strong performance in Sunday, particularly in the 40.
    “I’d love to see Robbie Smith have a great 10-yard split to show that he has power and quickness,” said Ferguson. “If that happens he could work himself into the first round comfortably.”

3. Jonathan Harke | OL, Alberta

While it wasn’t a combine record, Jonathan Harke did what he needed to with 32 reps on the bench press to lead the field. Harke showed he’s strong enough to play offensive line at the next level, setting up an important Sunday of testing at the University of Toronto.
    “Based on his body type and the position he’s going to play in the CFL, he had no choice but to put up a big bench number and he answered the bell,” said Ferguson. “He’s very reminiscent of Stampeders fifth-round pick Justin Lawrence in both style of play and physical ability.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/23/saturd...-early-risers/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here are the full Combine results:

https://www.cfl.ca/combine/2019-cfl-national-combine

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's some of John Hodge's takeaways from the Combine. I hope one of them is not a hint that Danny Maciocia is coming back to the CFL and that Merchant will get an honest shot at QB.

Dave Dickenson spent a fair amount of time chatting with Western quarterback Christopher Merchant during Saturday’s testing events. Calgary spent two years developing national quarterback Andrew Buckley prior to his sudden retirement this past May. The Stampeders also drafted then-quarterback Brad Sinopoli in 2011 before moving him to receiver two years later. Merchant, a Calgary native, is an athletic pivot who is open to playing receiver at the professional level. Calgary could be a good fit for him. ...

Montreal Carabins head coach Danny Maciocia was a spectator at field level during Saturday’s combine events. USports coaches aren’t typically permitted to watch combine events from the field. ...

I asked a number of offensive line prospects who their stiffest competition would be in Sunday’s one-on-one drills. The response was unanimous: UBC defensive tackle Connor Griffiths. Griffiths improved his bench press total from 21 at last year’s East-West Bowl to 28 on Saturday. His vertical leap also improved from 23.5 inches to 26 inches. A solid showing in the one-on-one drills should solidify Griffiths as a first-round pick in May’s draft. He’s physical, disruptive, and nasty. ...

The best “global” prospect thus far is clearly German linebacker Thiadric Hansen. Hansen, 6-foot-1 and 233 pounds, put up 20 reps on the bench press and jumped an impressive 38 inches in the vertical leap. He may already be 26, but Hansen would probably be solid on a CFL special teams unit. His vertical would have ranked fourth out of the 30 linebackers who attended this year’s NFL combine. If the league mandates that teams start carrying global players as part of the ratio rules, Hansen will be the player at the top of a lot of teams wish lists.
    https://3downnation.com/2019/03/24/e...e-cfl-combine/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dan Barnes takes a look at the global players at the Combine. Of course Ambrosie said exactly what you would expect him to say, but I am still somewhat skeptical about their impact in the CFL. Dickenson's and Sunderland's comments (at the end of the article) are the ones that are closest to mine.

“I think by all accounts this was a blockbuster success,” said CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie. ...

So his super-charged optimism was totally in character. And not totally unfounded. As a group, European receivers stood out. So did defensive end Valentinois Gnahoua, a six-foot-two, 235-pounder from Le Mans, France who plays with the Berlin Rebels of the German Football League and spent the 2016 U Sports season with the McGill Redmen.
    “There’s enough athletes and there is enough football acumen and skill set so they’re not out-of-place,” said Edmonton GM Brock Sunderland. “I think there were three or four receivers that if you put them in U Sports jerseys, they fit, they are right there.” ...

Not all 18 European players are ready for even a diminished role on a CFL team. But if there are even nine who could help out, and Winnipeg GM Kyle Walters thinks that’s the case, then it’s another baby step forward for CFL 2.0, which kicked off in earnest with a combine and draft in Mexico City in January.
    “I think like in Mexico, the players who were taken in the first round of that draft can come to a training camp and compete and not look out-of-place,” said Walters. “I think the same thing here. I think each team would be able to find a player to come in and not look out-of-place. And I think it would be more in a special teams role. I think the upper echelon of the Mexican players were the receivers and a couple really good kickers. Here it was the bigger guys. I think you saw some linebackers here and a couple D linemen. The better players here had some more size to them.” ...

“I feel like a bit of an interested bystander,” said Calgary head coach Dave Dickenson. “I get Randy’s vision and I’m all for it. I’m anxious to see how it all fits. There are great athletes across the world. We’re crazy if we don’t think there are athletes in Japan, Australia. How do you find them, how do you get them interested in Canada? How do you make it a little bit more fair so we don’t have to scout the world and spend all our money doing it? Those are all things I’m sure have come up in league talks.” ...

“Everything takes time,” said Sunderland. “One of the (European) players interviewed said we know we’re probably not going to reap the benefits of it, but we’ll lay the foundation so the players after us are going to reap the rewards of it. That was refreshing. A lot of those players have jobs and are a bit more mature because of where they are in life, so they see the big picture.”
    https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ight-direction

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    John Hodge argues that the attempt to show 'Global' players are ready to make a significant impact in the CFL was "largely a disaster".

If the goal of having European players participate in this year’s combine was to prove they can challenge for CFL roster spots, the experiment was largely a disaster.

German linebacker Thiadric Hansen tested well and looked somewhat comfortable in drills. French defensive end Valentinois Gnahoua, Finnish linebacker Roni Salonen, and French running back Asnnel Robo all tested respectably as well. ...

It should be noted that the players who competed at this year’s combine aren’t necessarily the best players in Europe. The money isn’t good enough in European leagues to keep many of the best prospects from pursuing other careers after they finish playing post-secondary football.

That’s why I think there’s a chance that Randy Ambrosie’s CFL 2.0 initiative could eventually pay dividends. If the best 18-year-old football players in Europe know that the CFL is a realistic option in the near future, they may put a career outside of football on hold to pursue a career in North America.

Otherwise, having European players participate in the CFL combine will be remembered as little more than a strange initiative that elicited a few nice human interest stories.
    https://3downnation.com/2019/03/24/c...obals-answers/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    John Hodge argues that the attempt to show 'Global' players are ready to make a significant impact in the CFL was "largely a disaster".

Counterpoint:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/26/oleary...t-cfl-combine/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Canadian QB Michael O’Connor’s combine performance opens eyes and opportunities:

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/25/c...opportunities/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

I don't think the "Global" players was largely a disaster. They only had a couple of weeks to prepare for the Combine and while there will not be many of these players coming to CFL training camps this year it opens the door for future younger and better players to come over. That was Ambrosie's main purpose from what I have read.
    I do believe John Hodge has a bit of a bias against the Global players showing through in his statements.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Canadian QB Michael O’Connor’s combine performance opens eyes and opportunities:

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/25/c...opportunities/
    Ottawa might be a good fit for O'Connor. Hopefully by the start of the season a Canadian QB will be included in the 21 Nationals so more of them can get a foot in the door.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Ottawa might be a good fit for O'Connor. Hopefully by the start of the season a Canadian QB will be included in the 21 Nationals so more of them can get a foot in the door.
    IMO Toronto would be as good a fit. We need strong backups and development QBs, and O'Connor has been in our camp (albeit under Trestman and his system). I would be very happy if we were able to draft him with the 18th or 21st pick -- but I won't be surprised if he's gone before that. I'd even consider taking him at No. 9.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post

I really doubt that myopic Desjardins in Ottawa is interested in a Canadian QB; he has built a good O-line nucleus/depth thru the draft, but after that he thinks back-up H-backs, special teams projects or long-snappers. Has had had many chances to draft outstanding positional prospects to address team needs (on defence or at receiver for example) but has failed. If he had any real interest in a Canadian QB, he could have easily signed Laval's Hugo Richard as a FA before Montreal did.

Interesting that O'Connor is getting some decent attention as a CFL QB prospect - he has the size, arm and has produced in CIS ball, but I believe the stint at Div I Penn State on his resume is really helping him there. Read one report that Chris Merchant was impressing with his arm as much or more in the throwing drills at the Combine; IMO - Merchant & Richard are as good or maybe better pro QB prospects vs. O'Connor; mostly because of better athleticism, mobility and some run threat, PLUS they also have very good arms. Maybe O'Connor has the far superior arm and QB smarts for reading Ds though. That should be determined or come out in serious TC competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    IMO Toronto would be as good a fit. We need strong backups and development QBs, and O'Connor has been in our camp (albeit under Trestman and his system). I would be very happy if we were able to draft him with the 18th or 21st pick -- but I won't be surprised if he's gone before that. I'd even consider taking him at No. 9.
    I would also love to see the Argos draft O'Connor. I don't see BMT, who will be 31 in July, as likely to ever develop into a decent CFL QB given his skill set and age.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marshall Ferguson and David Sanchez discuss the high number and level of individual receivers available in this year's draft in the video below. This could provide the Argos with an opportunity to pick up one even in a later round.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/24/combin...how-on-sunday/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Worldwide audience numbers soar for CFL Combine:

https://www.americanfootballinternat...r-cfl-combine/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Worldwide audience numbers soar for CFL Combine:

https://www.americanfootballinternat...r-cfl-combine/
    I'm still nervous about the possible impact of global players on Canadian content, but, having said that it is good to see the CFL drawing attention outside Canada and the US due to Ambrosie's international efforts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm still nervous about the possible impact of global players on Canadian content, but, having said that it is good to see the CFL drawing attention outside Canada and the US due to Ambrosie's international efforts.
    It's definitely some evidence that Randy Ambroise is on the right track with the CFL 2.0 strategy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It’s not just to move the needle on the CFL globally, but perhaps add to attendance locally. When I spoke with MLSE staff at the Grey Cup regarding the CFL partnership with LFA in Mexico, they spoke of the potential opportunity to market the Argos locally to the Mexican community in the same manner that MLB markets Japanese players in America and how basketball marketed to the Chinese community.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Kyle Saxelid seems like a potential good pick for the Argos. Despite being pursued for two years after graduating by tech firms, he has played in the Indoor Football League showing he is keenly interested in playing football, as IFL pays $250 per game, so the CFL would be attractive.

Tech companies have tried to sway him, lure him into that open chair at a desk in their offices, where a healthy starting wage and the promise of moving on with his life would be at his fingertips.
    Instead, the six-foot-seven, 290-pound offensive tackle from Elk Grove, Cali. spent the past weekend in Toronto working out in front of CFL personnel, trying to extend a football career that he’s not ready to have end yet. ...

Spend any amount of time with Saxelid and you quickly pick up on an outgoing personality and someone that’s comfortable with his surroundings the second he gets into them. The combine was new territory for him, figuratively and literally. Saxelid grew up in California and his mother, Cheryl, was born in New Brunswick, adopted at birth and moved to the U.S.
    The combine was his first time in Canada. “I always knew I was Canadian,” he said. “When I was little in school I was like, ‘I‘m half-Canadian, I’m a little different than you guys, I’m cool.’ Then going through college it just didn’t cross my mind. I was lucky to get into college in the first place, so I took it, I was happy to be there.” ...

A starter for three-and-a-half years at UNLV, he found out in his senior year in 2017 that he’d caught the eyes of NFL scouts as a possible late-round pick or as someone a team might sign after the draft. When that didn’t work out, he started looking at the CFL.
    It wasn’t until he was at the Saskatchewan Roughriders mini-camp in Florida about a year ago that he casually mentioned that he was Canadian. That changed everything for him. “It just came up too late. I got my citizenship at the latter part of last year,” he said. “Now I’m here and having a great time and just enjoying it for what it is.”

His first weekend in Canada was a busy one. He interviewed with every team in the league except the Calgary Stampeders, he said and was pleased with his overall performance. ...

He posted a personal best 29.5-inch vertical jump, a nine-feet, 2.13-inch broad jump, a 4.77-second shuttle, a 7.85-second three-cone drill and hit 20 reps in the bench press. ...

“In the end the one-on-ones are what matter. I feel like I did pretty well in them. Got caught a little on the inside with that but I didn’t let them touch the bag.”
    One CFL GM figured Saxelid would be taken around the middle of the draft. Between now and then, Saxelid said he needed to figure out what he’d do with his Indoor League commitment. He said he’d play the team’s next game and would give his future more thought after that.
    “(Playing) in the Indoor League, it’s a lot harder on the body than the outdoor game is just because of how hard the ground is and the confines of the field,” he said. “I got some mixed reviews on whether or not to keep doing it.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/29/oleary...-kyle-saxelid/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Saxelid's character as well as his athletic ability, make him an attractive prospect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The data on QB performance at the Combine is now available.

Wilson Sporting Goods implemented the Wilson X-Pro Connected Football and Training System as a way to capture data on the quarterbacks that participated in the Combine. The technology utilized an undetectable sensor embedded in a Wilson CFL football to measure quarterback performance in the areas of throw quality and play timing.
    The Wilson X-Pro Connected Training System offered deep insights into a quarterback’s performance. The System delivers data that helps a team and its staff evaluate arm strength and quarterback mechanics, while also more efficiently analysing the success of pass plays.
    Specifically, the System Measures:
    • Timing: snap to release, snap to target and release time
    • Throw Quality: Spin rate and spiral efficiency
    • Arm Strength: Throw count and velocity.
    Three quarterbacks at the CFL Combine that utilized the Wilson X-Pro Connected Training System: Chris Merchant (Western), Michael O’Connor (UBC) and Sonny Weishaupt (Germany).
    The results are below:

Fastest Throw
    FASTEST THROW
    Chris Merchant 50.3 MPH
    Michael O’Connor 50.3 MPH
    Sonny Weishaupt 49.1 MPH

HIGHEST SPIN RATE
    Chris Merchant 757 RPMs (Overall avg. 644 RPMs)
    Sonny Weishaupt 726 RPMs (Overall avg. 515 RPMs)
    Michael O’Connor 666 RPMs (Overall avg. 532 RPMs)

QUICKEST RELEASE TIME
    Chris Merchant .31 sec (overall avg .48 sec)
    Michael O’Connor .32 sec (overall avg .42 sec)
    Sonny Weishaupt .33 sec (overall avg .44 sec)

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/02/quarte...balls-combine/

Last edited by jerrym; 04-06-2019 at 12:33 AM.