Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Should the Argos Draft Mathieu Betts #1 Overall?

Mathieu Betts put on an extremely impressive performance at his pro day, making him a prime prospect for being drafted #1 overall. However, is he too good in that this performance could lead to his heading to the NFL and possibly not coming back for years, if ever.
    My position is that he is too good to give up on as #1 overall doesn't guarantee success in the CFL (see Faith Ekakitie).
    The following article includes five videos of Betts in action.

arlier this week Betts held a pro day at Laval which was attended by scouts from both sides of the border, continuing a trend blazed by names like Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Antony Auclair and many earlier who made the jump from the RSEQ conference to the height of CFL and NFL Draft interest.
    During that workout Betts laid down numbers that proved his worth, showing the unique explosive skill set that helped him lead the RSEQ with nine sacks in six games played last season.

Betts’ size is certainly not a concern. He measured in at the same height as Ricky Foley and the weight of Laurier grad Ese Mrabure, who now spends time bouncing around the interior defensive line of the reigning Grey Cup Champion Calgary Stampeders.
    Betts laid down the same bench as Junior Turner did when coming out of Bishop’s in 2011 before being selected ninth overall by Calgary.

The mind blowing part of Betts’ physical attributes comes when you talk quickness and speed, which is no surprise if you’ve ever seen how fast he gets off the ball or his open field closing speed on a bootlegging quarterback.
    He tied the best 40-yard dash time (4.70) ever run at a CFL Combine with McMaster’s Ben D’Aguilar in 2013 and Western Mustangs’ Dylan Ainsworth in 2014.

Here’s the catch. Betts did it while 15 pounds heavier than D’Aguilar and 19 pounds heavier than Ainsworth!
    He also showed above average lower body explosion while jumping 9’9” in the broad jump and 29.5” on the vert. Betts’ in-game quickness translates well to testing as expected. He laid down a slightly better shuttle time than Laurier sensation Kwaku Boateng and the fastest time ever recorded by a defensive lineman at a CFL Combine by .20 seconds over Calgary product Micheal Klassen. That’s not a small margin and comes in first amongst 250 defensive lineman with combine data available. ...

As for his game play, I wanted to highlight five things I love about Betts’ game, which was tough because he does a little bit of everything extremely well. The first thing that caught my eye was his ability to read and react against cross ball motion, free releasing running backs and situations where the quarterback is reading his posture. ...

Betts has the ability to go full speed ahead, put one foot in the ground and change direction on a dime like a receiver would. Those quick reactions made him near impossible to attack in the zone read game while at Laval — an attractive feature to add to a CFL Draft resume considering how much traffic CFL defensive ends have to sift through on a play-to-play basis. ...

I also loved the variety of pass rush moves Betts has adapted to his game as he grew and developed at Laval. His ability to drop the inside shoulder, keep offensive tackles’ hands off him and cut the corner is special. Just when you think you have him figured out and plan to sit a little bit further outside to stonewall that edge, Betts hits you with any variety of outside-in pass rush moves. From rips to spins and everywhere in between he is a complete pass rusher who stays surprisingly humble in the run game without sacrificing much in the way of all-out pressure every pass play possible.

If tying the fastest 40-yard dash off any defensive lineman ever evaluated at a CFL Combine doesn’t impress you much because you believe in game speed, I’m with you – kind of. Betts PLAYS fast, which is always the difference between a track star and a football player. His closing speed combined with quick decision making should help to quickly adapt to the faster pace of CFL play should a team be so lucky to get their hands on him.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/12/fergus...ssive-pro-day/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    He's one of the best pure Canadian DE talents out of college ball in a long time (not saying he's up there with Jim Corrigall or Brent Johnson yet though).

IF he draws decent to serious NFL interest - then a big NO to using first overall on him (even though he fits a big Argo need - a pass rush phenom); could stay and drift around the NFL for years and never show in the CFL (BC used a high pick to draft DE Rob Meier out of US college ball and he lasted in the NFL for years and the Lions and the CFL never saw him).

Interesting scenario - the Als are very interested in getting this Quebec product and are willing to deal with the Argos for first overall = chance to fleece that clown Mavis big-time in a trade ? - the next year's 1st rounder, plus a couple of other current Als property in return (say O-Lineman Trey Rutherford plus a starting DB) ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It is a very good question. The fact he has decided to bypass the CFL Combine probably indicates he wants the NFL. His workouts indicate he could be a late round NFL draft or signed as a free agent. The gamble is whether he will return or not. IMO too big of a gamble to choose him 1st overall in the draft unless he isn't drafted by NFL and the team can get some understanding with him that he would sign if the money was right.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It is a very good question. The fact he has decided to bypass the CFL Combine probably indicates he wants the NFL. His workouts indicate he could be a late round NFL draft or signed as a free agent. The gamble is whether he will return or not. IMO too big of a gamble to choose him 1st overall in the draft unless he isn't drafted by NFL and the team can get some understanding with him that he would sign if the money was right.

Wonder if he would be much more inclined to show up in the CFL as Als property? - chance to play in his home Province, marketing potential and they could use DE help (as could the Argos, or Ottawa). He could think some CFL experience could be a spring-board to the NFL, but i bet he is focused on the NFL big-time at first?

I'll bet he draws some sort of NFL interest - even as an un-drafted FA - and ends up bouncing around down there - and maybe never shows up in the CFL? Which would be too bad, but understandable ($$$). Him showing up for the Als and given the chance to be a starter right away and becoming an impact star player for them would be sweet though; a real bad scenario would be drafted by the Argos and if he shows being looked at as depth only behind the mediocre import DEs types the Argos deployed last season. If there ever was a Canadian draft pick in recent years who warrants big-time attention, hype and buck$ if he reports to the CFL right away, it's this guy, IMO. An average US college ball player like Ekaitie is not in the same area code as Betts in terms of football talent - nice job Bummers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO he is just about guaranteed to get an NFL deal, and absolutely guaranteed to prefer an NFL deal to any sort of CFL deal. So No to taking him No. 1. I'd definitely be open to trading his rights (or the rights to the first overall pick, provided we knew for sure that pick would be used to trade him) in exchange for some top NAT talent. If we don't trade the pick and he's still available at No. 9, I'd consider taking him there and hope he doesn't stay in the NFL for years. We have two other picks in the top 21 or so, so gambling No. 9 would not be a huge risk IMO.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I hadn't heard Betts has decided to pass up the CFL combine. The latest one out of confirmed attendees shows him on it.

I watched scrimmages of the Shrine game week and Betts alternated mostly at right DE every two or three plays. I was a little disappointed in his play there. Different calibre of play for sure from the CIS. He never got around once one of those monster OT's he was up against in the pass rush, and got pushed around pretty good on the running plays. At 6' 2 1/2 and 250 I thought the NFL would maybe look at him more of a line backer. He has good speed 4.7 and great pursuit. But he lined up at DE all the time.
    Too me he is a CFL DE where he has more room to beat the OT's with his quickness and spin moves etc. But the NFL could see him as a good special team guy and work on the other parts for down the road. If it's just the money, $480,000 minimum US beats the CFL every time.
    I believe by draft day the CFL teams will know where they stand with him. If he just signs as a FA down there, Popp could possibly take a flyer at #9 and keep him in the pipeline for a couple of years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I hadn't heard Betts has decided to pass up the CFL combine. The latest one out of confirmed attendees shows him on it.

I watched scrimmages of the Shrine game week and Betts alternated mostly at right DE every two or three plays. I was a little disappointed in his play there. Different calibre of play for sure from the CIS. He never got around once one of those monster OT's he was up against in the pass rush, and got pushed around pretty good on the running plays. At 6' 2 1/2 and 250 I thought the NFL would maybe look at him more of a line backer. He has good speed 4.7 and great pursuit. But he lined up at DE all the time.
    Too me he is a CFL DE where he has more room to beat the OT's with his quickness and spin moves etc. But the NFL could see him as a good special team guy and work on the other parts for down the road. If it's just the money, $480,000 minimum US beats the CFL every time.
    I believe by draft day the CFL teams will know where they stand with him. If he just signs as a FA down there, Popp could possibly take a flyer at #9 and keep him in the pipeline for a couple of years.

??? - not sure which Shrine scrimmages you watched, but Betts was singled out for some outstanding pass rush in the one on ones - embarrassing some of the OTs there (one replay shown in particular with a spin move), and one report had him about best player of the day; as far as the actual game - i saw some of it (and have the balance on PVR) - he did not do that much, but i saw him get some QB pressure (and he had a tackle for a loss).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I wouldn’t use the #1 overall pick on Betts, too risky.
    Trading down to accumulate additional picks (and players who you can sign) may be the way to go.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    No. I think he will stick in the NFL.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    ??? - not sure which Shrine scrimmages you watched, but Betts was singled out for some outstanding pass rush in the one on ones - embarrassing some of the OTs there (one replay shown in particular with a spin move), and one report had him about best player of the day; as far as the actual game - i saw some of it (and have the balance on PVR) - he did not do that much, but i saw him get some QB pressure (and he had a tackle for a loss).
    Betts did look good that game. Even Joel VanPelt (University of Calgary) who played DE for the other team made a play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    Betts did look good that game. Even Joel VanPelt (University of Calgary) who played DE for the other team made a play.
    VanPelt is actually rated higher than Betts for DEs on one of the NFL draft prospect site's rankings = ???

VanPelt was drafted by the Ticats last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    With the top Canadian players becoming better, the CFL draft is almost a joke. Teams won't draft a guy who will go to the NFL, or they might draft a guy who MIGHT go to the NFL and end up losing him. Maybe they should just restrict it to Usport teams. Not that that will solve the problem, but it would help.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Hmm. How long has NFL potential significantly affected CFL draft priority? I want to say ~30 years, but I'm not sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Hmm. How long has NFL potential significantly affected CFL draft priority? I want to say ~30 years, but I'm not sure.
    I would say closer to 10 years.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    30 years? I don't think so.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Suddenly I feel young. Can we agree that skilled players have more opportunities than ever before and that this is a very good thing?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Suddenly I feel young. Can we agree that skilled players have more opportunities than ever before and that this is a very good thing?

??? - not sure i get you there ?

Betts - if drafted by the Argos and showed up - would get a real shot to compete at DE with Davis or Beltre level talents? Mercer Timmis is in the mix to compete for some playing time at tailback for the Argos? A bunch of CFL teams in QB need are going to draft O'Connor or Merchant or Sinagra and give them a real shot?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    30 years? I don't think so.
    I think it's more like 10-15, but it is worth noting that the Argos selected Chris Schultz as a territorial selection in 1982. I don't know if they foresaw him going to the NFL, but at any rate he did, and didn't get to Toronto for four years. Then there was Mike Schad, selected fourth in the 1986 CFL draft and 23rd in the NFL draft. I'm pretty sure the CFL draft was held weeks before the NFL draft back then -- Schad may have fallen as far as fourth because he was known to be eyeing the NFL. The big difference between then and now is that back then it was a very rare occurrence for a Canadian player to be an NFL prospect. Now there are college grads signing with NFL teams every single season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah I saw that spin move in the 1 on 1's. Hey I've been a Betts backer from day 1 and a CFL first over all pick. But the Shrine week scrimmages are on you tube and I was disappointed in his play. The spin move didn't work in the scrimmages. Not that he wasn't trying. It's a big man's game down there. I see him as a linebacker in the NFL who can blitz when called on. We'll see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Mashall Ferguson has us drafting OT Shane Richards - https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/18/mock-1...source=dlvr.it

I like this pick better than Hodge's pick of Saxelid.