Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Mashall Ferguson has us drafting OT Shane Richards - https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/18/mock-1...source=dlvr.it

I like this pick better than Hodge's pick of Saxelid.
    Does Richards have NFL aspirations? I don't want another 1st round OL pick to go down south like Hunter did last year. Having said that the lines on both sides of the ball should be first priorities.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Does Richards have NFL aspirations? I don't want another 1st round OL pick to go down south like Hunter did last year. Having said that the lines on both sides of the ball should be first priorities.
    I think they all have NFL aspirations $$$$$. I hope Popp and his group can get it right (what ever that is) with the #1 overall pick as it seems to be a good group in the first three rounds anyway. You've got to get an impact player IMO with the first overall pick whether the ratio is 7, 6 or 5. By draft day they will know who has been drafted and/or signed down south. Richards will probably get a FA look down there first, so it could be another Hunter situation. Saxelid has been out of College a year so may be available from the get go. To me IMO Saxelid is the better CFL Tackle prospect because of his footwork and agility. Richards more of a Guard in the CFL. Nobody is going to pancake him.
    I know combine day is a must watch when the big guys go mano mano.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It's a new reality that the CFL has to start dealing with in regards to player recruitment.You could see up to 25 players go to NFL mini-camps.
    the number could be more if certain players jump out at the CFL main combine(Thomas Grant,Chris Osei-Kusi).It's going to play havoc with drafting.
    It will be just as bad next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    The Argo's MUST draft a 5 star genius person, or PR firm.

When the Argo's had Doug Flutie, the team was successful on the field, won back to back championships, so making the on field product great doesn't mean a damn thing, until the team is RELEVANT again,

So no matter which Canadian O=lineman the team covets, its akin to a bag of rocks, unless the people of Toronto start to CARE again.

The hardcore fans love to bitch and complain, but we are not ever going to stop being fans. The team needs NEW fans, the kind of fans that PISS OFF us long time fans.

Draft a marketing wizard please.

If Doug Flutie, and his on field magic only bumped attendance to 16k -18K on a good day, sadly the team winning doesn't mean anything right now.

A relevant losing team would be more successful in Toronto than a winning team that nobody cares about. (see 2017 Grey Cup).

Therefore except for the 25 or 30 folks on this site that CARE, the draft choice doesn't mean anything in terms of the future of this team.

SO, I say try to draft Betts, why not, hopefully by the time he considers playing for the Argo's the ship has been righted.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I think they all have NFL aspirations $$$$$. I hope Popp and his group can get it right (what ever that is) with the #1 overall pick as it seems to be a good group in the first three rounds anyway. You've got to get an impact player IMO with the first overall pick whether the ratio is 7, 6 or 5. By draft day they will know who has been drafted and/or signed down south. Richards will probably get a FA look down there first, so it could be another Hunter situation. Saxelid has been out of College a year so may be available from the get go. To me IMO Saxelid is the better CFL Tackle prospect because of his footwork and agility. Richards more of a Guard in the CFL. Nobody is going to pancake him.
    I know combine day is a must watch when the big guys go mano mano.
    I don't think the Argonauts could go wrong with either Richards, Saxelid, or Wilkinson, but as has been proven time and time again, it'll all depend on how they develop. I think Richards has a higher ceiling, but Saxelid and Wilkinson are more pro ready at this point. And, if Hunter does come up eventually, the Argos could have some great pieces on the OL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level

He might like to get an NFL shot and since he's from a big program, who knows; but not like the guy has that a great a resume there - not a multi-year starter or all-star; his resume is more like that of Rider 1st overall pick Josiah St-John, who was not a proven starter either, but had the Div I Okie resume. St-John finally played some on the O-line for the Riders last year, and some of their fans were raving about his play; he is currently still a FA though.

I'd much rather the Argos pick a proven, multi-year college ball starter & all-star - and for O-gaurds, Laval's Sam Thomassin is that. He might draw an NFL look though - so stay clear with #1 if that happens; but there are some other very good O-line prospects this draft IMO (Jesse Gibbon (Waterloo), Zach Williams (Manitoba), Drew Desjarlais (Windsor)) who won't likely get any NFL call. Wilkinson was a starting C in Div I ball, but the Argos already have a league best calibre C in McEwen and he's young; a natural OG to challenge or be future replacement for Holmes of Bomben would make sense.

Marshall Ferguson = guy makes me laugh; i get he's a CFL commentator and tries hard i guess; but he's right out to lunch with a lot of his commentary on the CFL; yeah, I know he's a former CIS player, but he is just clueless at times with some of the stuff he says.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Hmm. How long has NFL potential significantly affected CFL draft priority? I want to say ~30 years, but I'm not sure.
    Good call. It has been 30 years. I cite Tony Mandarich, who came out of Michigan State as the 'greatest O-Line Prospect ever.' He was taken by the Packers 2nd overall and taken in the CFL Draft at pick #54 by the BC Lions
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

Marshall Ferguson = guy makes me laugh; i get he's a CFL commentator and tries hard i guess; but he's right out to lunch with a lot of his commentary on the CFL; yeah, I know he's a former CIS player, but he is just clueless at times with some of the stuff he says.
    Wow. This type of comment, I will never understand. We need MORE information from CFL nuts, not less, and then when we get it? Honestly, I don't know you but I can honestly venture that he watches more PRACTISES than you do games. "Out to lunch" "Clueless?" C'mon man, really?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Wow. This type of comment, I will never understand. We need MORE information from CFL nuts, not less, and then when we get it? Honestly, I don't know you but I can honestly venture that he watches more PRACTISES than you do games. "Out to lunch" "Clueless?" C'mon man, really?

Hey - to each his own pal. If you would like me to dig up some of this guy's past commentary and point out some cluelessness, I could do so i guess.

Lots of CFL fans can't stand Rod Black as a CFL play-by-play guy; but because he has the gig does that make him sort of inscrutable expert? And I liked Glen Suitor as a player, but as a CFL commentator he is terrible - cliches galore and repetitive. Am i not allowed to say i wish TSN had way better than these guys?

Let me guess - you're sticking up for guys who have media jobs? And us know nothing joe average fans shouldn't dare question these expert pros ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Marshall Ferguson is probably my favourite CFL commentator. He really cares about the CFL and talks about the league on air more than anyone else I know. If you follow him on Twitter you'll see that he puts a lot of time and thought into analyzing the players and the league. He's constantly creating spreadsheets and statistical breakdowns of the players. You may not agree with his analysis and opinions but he's exactly the type of media personality that we need more of!

If you want to talk about people saying ridiculous things, how about coach June Jones saying that Manziel would be the best player to ever play in the CFL?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hey - to each his own pal. If you would like me to dig up some of this guy's past commentary and point out some cluelessness, I could do so i guess.

Lots of CFL fans can't stand Rod Black as a CFL play-by-play guy; but because he has the gig does that make him sort of inscrutable expert? And I liked Glen Suitor as a player, but as a CFL commentator he is terrible - cliches galore and repetitive. Am i not allowed to say i wish TSN had way better than these guys?

Let me guess - you're sticking up for guys who have media jobs? And us know nothing joe average fans shouldn't dare question these expert pros ?
    Well, we could do that for all of us I'd venture to guess, couldn't we? Anyone brave enough with an opinion. This is a comment board, it's all about comment and opinion, but there is a difference between taking on someone point by point and disagreeing, or calling them a moron, or clueless, or whatever name you want to hand them because it may make you feel good.

I'll ask you this, and this is not a media vs. regular fan thing: Do you put more stock the nameless guy on a message board who calls others names, or do you find more credence with the x-CIU QB, who has a reputation at stake, who studies game film, goes to countless practices, games and combines, writes and offers expert opinion live on radio and tv -- because he is sought after by other sports experts and people who want to hear his opinion.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well, we could do that for all of us I'd venture to guess, couldn't we? Anyone brave enough with an opinion. This is a comment board, it's all about comment and opinion, but there is a difference between taking on someone point by point and disagreeing, or calling them a moron, or clueless, or whatever name you want to hand them because it may make you feel good.

I'll ask you this, and this is not a media vs. regular fan thing: Do you put more stock the nameless guy on a message board who calls others names, or do you find more credence with the x-CIU QB, who has a reputation at stake, who studies game film, goes to countless practices, games and combines, writes and offers expert opinion live on radio and tv -- because he is sought after by other sports experts and people who want to hear his opinion.

Hmmmmmmmm?

As I've said before here, probably many times: IMO - there are so many more intelligent, well spoken, knowledgeable football fans (and commentators) to be found on these various fan forums - if you can wade thru all the varied comments/opinions - than there are in the Canadian football reporting set; and (IMO only again) - there are very few sharp, very knowledgeable, well spoken football reporters who cover the CFL or Canadian game regularly. Duane Forde and Mike Hogan would be 2 of the very good ones IMO; Marshall Ferguson & Justin Dunk are definitely not, IMO. Sorry bout that. But I'd much rather here what some of the veteran posters I know from here (and a couple of other CFL forums) have to say on CFL football over Ferguson; these other, non-paid, un-named, internet forum guys (maybe some can't respect that - so be it) just know way more about football than the likes of Ferguson.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-20-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    As I've said before here, probably many times: IMO - there are so many more intelligent, well spoken, knowledgeable football fans (and commentators) to be found on these various fan forums - if you can wade thru all the varied comments/opinions - than there are in the Canadian football reporting set; and (IMO only again) - there are very few sharp, very knowledgeable, well spoken football reporters who cover the CFL or Canadian game regularly. Duane Forde and Mike Hogan would be 2 of the very good ones IMO; Marshall Ferguson & Justin Dunk are definitely not, IMO. Sorry bout that. But I'd much rather here what some of the veteran posters I know from here (and a couple of other CFL forums) have to say on CFL football over Ferguson; these other, non-paid, un-named, internet forum guys (maybe some can't respect that - so be it) just know way more about football than the likes of Ferguson.
    P1 - Did you hear about the wolf pack who ate their own young?
    P2 - No?

We don't have enough of this. People who write, blogg, and offer their opinion about the Canadian Football League. More, not less. I read it all, including your offerings, and although I may disagree from time to time, I don't/and won't call you clueless. All of it is needed, especially in and around Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    P1 - Did you hear about the wolf pack who ate their own young?
    P2 - No?

We don't have enough of this. People who write, blogg, and offer their opinion about the Canadian Football League. More, not less. I read it all, including your offerings, and although I may disagree from time to time, I don't/and won't call you clueless. All of it is needed, especially in and around Toronto.
    OK - agreed - the CFL can use much more attention and get reported on better - spread news and opinions about the league.

And you're OK with a veteran journalist like Steve Simmons who's been getting a big stage to write clueless drivel (that's exactly what it is) about various sports for years & years & years now ? I guess the media types who keep publishing this blowhard are right and the fact that he's kept his job must mean he is some sort of sport authority or expert ??? It's IMO his types who have played a big role in the lack of respect problem the CFL has been facing for a long time now; snickering, mocking or constantly negative reporting on the league ... because it's a Canadian institution that doesn't deserve the fawning attention his types lavish on whatever wannabe, over-hyped, all-American or "World Class" stuff that sheep follow or his editors tell him to spend time on?

Is garbage journalism or dumb, totally biased or clueless opinion really needed ? All of it ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    OK - agreed - the CFL can use much more attention and get reported on better - spread news and opinions about the league.

And you're OK with a veteran journalist like Steve Simmons who's been getting a big stage to write clueless drivel (that's exactly what it is) about various sports for years & years & years now ? I guess the media types who keep publishing this blowhard are right and the fact that he's kept his job must mean he is some sort of sport authority or expert ??? It's IMO his types who have played a big role in the lack of respect problem the CFL has been facing for a long time now; snickering, mocking or constantly negative reporting on the league ... because it's a Canadian institution that doesn't deserve the fawning attention his types lavish on whatever wannabe, over-hyped, all-American or "World Class" stuff that sheep follow or his editors tell him to spend time on?

Is garbage journalism or dumb, totally biased or clueless opinion really needed ? All of it ???
    The CFL fans/bloggers/writers I speak of are nearly the exact opposites of Steve Simmons who probably never attends a combine, watches game film or could even offer a cogent sentence regarding the future prospects of the Canadian Football League. I am talking about people who put the work in. I WANT what they have to offer because I can't be at the practices, the CIU games or the combines. Simmons wouldn't be caught dead there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Isn't Steve Simmons an Argonauts Season Ticket Holder?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good call. It has been 30 years. I cite Tony Mandarich, who came out of Michigan State as the 'greatest O-Line Prospect ever.' He was taken by the Packers 2nd overall and taken in the CFL Draft at pick #54 by the BC Lions
    Everyone knew that Mandarich would go high in the 1989 NFL draft, otherwise he would have gone much earlier than #54 in the 1988 CFL draft. It was Canadian players who weren't considered NFL prospects but signed there that led to changing the date of the CFL draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Isn't Steve Simmons an Argonauts Season Ticket Holder?
    Yes.

Admittedly, I've had feelings about Simmons in the past that were not positive, but once I started hearing him on radio, and on the old reporters show, I changed my tune on him. Though I don't always agree with his opinions, I like reading his writings, and listening to him whenever he's on the air.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It's like clockwork around here, another argument springing up about who is and isn't clueless about the CFL. Must be the first day of spring.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's like clockwork around here, another argument springing up about who is and isn't clueless about the CFL. Must be the first day of spring.
    What happened on Groundhog Day anyways?

Let's do a little poll here: if you want to find out detailed news/information or read varied & knowledgeable opinions, (I'm not talking about just breaking some news, but detail and intelligent analysis or opinion) on the CFL, which source do you go to first or trust more:

a) officialdom media sources - newspapers, sport radio, the CFL.ca site, Bob McCown, Steve Simmons, Justin Dunk types ,

or,

b) a CFL fan forum type site (which do often include links to media sources) - eg. here, or Riderfans. or Lionbackers, and that features dozens (or hundreds) of internet keyboard warriors ;o) posting CFL thoughts - who mostly aren't providing their real name

There's a clear-cut, overwhelming winner for me on this one. And IMO, I could name probably 50 or more football commentators from source b) who I feel are way sharper writers and more knowledgeable about football/ the CFL than just about anybody from group a) (with a couple of exceptions maybe)