Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

CFL, CFLPA could lower the number of Canadian starters: sources

Worth it's own thread I think
    https://3downnation.com/2019/03/16/c...rters-sources/

Both the CFL and CFLPA are in favour of reducing the number of national starters from seven to five after the issue was raised during recent labour negotiations in Toronto, per sources.

While a final decision has yet to be made, there appears to be a consensus on this issue after the first round of negotiations.
    I think most know how I feel about this, but admittedly I've been going back and forth on it as of late. I'm 100% against Ambrosie's Global player spot spot though, as I feel just like any other player a roster spot should be earned not given.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I was a little surprised when I first read this over on CFL.ca that the CFLPA were in an agreement so soon to lower the National starters to five. IMO the concussion issue has to be a factor in this as well. Too many players sitting out X number of games now because of concussions which really plays havoc with the healthy depth chart.
    Less Canadian youth playing football now according to statistics coupled with the NFL now grabbing most of the high end Canadians and keeping them around for two or three years at least. It all adds up to a lack Canadian depth.

Don't know what Randy has up his sleeve with all these other Internationals except we know the end game is Money. The CFL is a business after all. Can a couple of these other "Internationals" be included in the existing 46 man roster for game day? That wouldn't cost any more. Just a couple of more bodies for special teams and maybe some good enough to start or back up eventually. But where do they find enough of those guys for depth. Maybe they would have to start off with only one extra. Lots of questions that won't be answered until May. Maybe we are looking at a ratio change in the History of the CFL. History shows us it has always been a moving target.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think the American players are having their voices heard in the PA. If there are less Canadian starters, there are less Canadians that they would consider ratio breakers, thus less higher paid Canadian players leaving more money for the American players. Personally, I don't like it. If they do reduce, I would hope it would be no lower than 6, and mandate minimum 3 on the field at all times.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Don’t care for this at all, nothing wrong the way it sits right now.
    Pretty obvious who’s voices are being heard in this negotiation, also diminishes the importance of the Canadian draft.
    All Canadian O-Line and Internationals everywhere else?
    Last edited by Argo57; 03-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Don’t care for this at all, nothing wrong the way it sits right now.
    Pretty obvious who’s voices are being heard in this negotiation, also diminishes the importance of the Canadian draft.

Yep - was predictable though IMO; and with the CFLPA having over 50 % American make-up - them wanting to make things better for their guys makes sense. I guess ?

A name change for the CFL might also be a thing to consider to go with Randy's incredible 2.0 vision. How bout Canadian Rules Football League Run By & For Americans ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    And when the next proposed rule change away from the Canadian game comes forward, how will the vote go in the CFLPA or its reps with the diluted Canadian talent? The Canadian content is already too diluted IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I suggest we not put tons of faith on this. The only attribution in the source material is "per sources," which could mean just about anything. We know nothing about the sources that would enable us to evaluate how trustworthy this info is. This could have been planted by one side. It could be from individuals who are not privy to what's actually being discussed around the table.

The most reputable news organizations generally say something about unidentified sources that lends credence to the report without identifying the sources. "Sources familiar with the president's thinking." "Sources who were in the room during the meeting." "Sources who have seen the report." etc.

While I'm generally a fan of 3DN, neither it nor Dunk have been infallible. I'll put more stock on this if and when I see similar reporting from Dan Ralph, Dan Barnes or others who have a long track record of reliable reports based on unidentified sources.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep - was predictable though IMO; and with the CFLPA having over 50 % American make-up - them wanting to make things better for their guys makes sense. I guess ?

A name change for the CFL might also be a thing to consider to go with Randy's incredible 2.0 vision. How bout Canadian Rules Football League Run By & For Americans ?
    Commissioner Ambrosie has hinted at de-emphasizing the Canadian aspect when referring to the CFL for branding purposes.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...an-tv-contract

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think the American players are having their voices heard in the PA. If there are less Canadian starters, there are less Canadians that they would consider ratio breakers, thus less higher paid Canadian players leaving more money for the American players. Personally, I don't like it.
    Agreed on all counts.

I expect that they'll try to sell this by modifying the Canadian QB rule too.

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    And when the next proposed rule change away from the Canadian game comes forward, how will the vote go in the CFLPA or its reps with the diluted Canadian talent? The Canadian content is already too diluted IMO.
    Our best players are Americans, most fans want to see the best players out there. It's funny that out of all the sports teams in Toronto, the team with the mandated Canadian ratio has the lowest attendance.
    This ain't the Olympics guys, it's pro-sports. We are trying to get more fans to follow the CFL especially in Toronto with the millenials, they couldn't care less if there are Canadian starters. You think the 28k to 30k young people that show up at BMO for a TFC game care if there are Canadians playing? Same with the Jays and the Raptors, they have the younger crowd that the Argos need to attract.

It's not like we are preventing Canadians from playing football because we lowered the Canadian qouata. There are 129 Canadians playing in the NCAA right now, our best players are getting scouted in high school and offered scholarships. The CIS is getting the leftovers and with fewer kids playing football the CFL is having a hard time maintaining the current level of Canadians to fill 9 teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Agreed on all counts.

I expect that they'll try to sell this by modifying the Canadian QB rule too.
    And the majority of Americans in the CFLPA would probably want or push for the game to become more like the one they know and come from - get rid of silly Canadian rules, and make it more like real (American football); combine that with the typical GOBs running the CFL also wanting the game to be more like their good ole version, and some rule changes could be next ... 4 downs is better (more offence) ; the single point is stupid; a fair catch might help prevent some injuries.

Like I said - IF this comes to pass, the slope that now exists becomes even more slippery. Might as well change the name of the league - and this could resonate with the type of wannabes who like the Blue Jays or Raptors cause it's mostly American. That's what you want, right Randy ? Canadian Football League Run By & For Americans (CFLRB&FA)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    The CFLPA's Board of Directors and CBA bargaining committees have always been majority Canadian (currently 4 of 5 and 6 of 8 respectively). If this story is true and it goes through, it will be Canadian players who agree to a ratio change, as they've done with every change over the last 50 years.

I'd rather keep the current ratio, but it's hard to be outraged when history says Canadian players have little interest in defending themselves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So Brian Ramsay has denied that any agreements have been reached. No surprise. Apart from the fact that there was nothing in the report to give any credence to the alleged source, agreements on issues of that magnitude almost never get reached in Week 1 of collective bargaining. I obviously don't know what happened here but my strong suspicion is that Dunk got played by mgmt source(s) and did not get the requisite confirmation from PPA side. Oh well, back to our regular programming.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So Brian Ramsay has denied that any agreements have been reached. No surprise. Apart from the fact that there was nothing in the report to give any credence to the alleged source, agreements on issues of that magnitude almost never get reached in Week 1 of collective bargaining. I obviously don't know what happened here but my strong suspicion is that Dunk got played by mgmt source(s) and did not get the requisite confirmation from PPA side. Oh well, back to our regular programming.
    Or where there’s smoke there is fire, let’s see how this plays out.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Or where there’s smoke there is fire, let’s see how this plays out.
    All one has to do is look at the wording Dunk uses, and then look at the wording Ramsay uses... PA isn't happy that this got out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I didn't hear anything about cutting the number of Canadians back from the current number 21. Just the mandated starters and if there are more than 5 Canadians worthy of being starters they will. Most teams start one more than required now and would continue to cover themselves that way in case of injury. Good starting QB's are as scarce as hens teeth and keeping them healthy is a big priority for the good of the League. We saw Ricky Ray getting pommeled a couple of years ago because of a weak spot on the O Line until Washington was put in there.
    I'm all for Canadians playing in the CFL and a spot for a Canadian QB if a Coach wants to go that way. As long as the numbers on the rosters aren't reduced from the current 21.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    PA isn't happy that this got out.
    They may or may not be, despite what Ramsay's tweets said. What's said for public consumption in bargaining is often different than what's said behind closed doors (at the table AND in caucus). However, I'm pretty sure the two parties agreed at the outset to refrain from bargaining in public; if so, then both sides have a right to be mad about this. It's also possible one side planted the story (regardless of its veracity) to advance its interests at the table. My money's on mgmt if that happened. It's also possible someone on either side -- and not necessarily someone in position to actually know what has been discussed -- went rogue. Again, until someone with a more accomplished track record of breaking stories based on unidentified sources comes out with something similar, I'm viewing this as little more than noise, and miles away from being a done deal. And again, this is less than ONE WEEK into bargaining, with the CFLPA finally employing a strong negotiator (Georgetti) and players talking tougher than in past go-rounds. Even if a majority of PA members would like to see the number of NATs (or NAT starters) reduced, why would the PA show its hand this early? I've been hyper-critical of their failure to bargain well in the past, so I guess it's possible they would screw things up again, but it seems far less likely with Georgetti on their side.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I assumed that the story was planted to make "6 NAT + 1 Global" more palatable. I guess we'll see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I assumed that the story was planted to make "6 NAT + 1 Global" more palatable. I guess we'll see.
    IMO, there is no way a "Global" will be guaranteed a starting position on every team, which is what your reading between the lines seems to suggest. Having said that, I agree it might be a plant to reduce the number to 6, or the wording might even be put in that if a 10th team becomes a reality, then the number will go from 7 to 6. Again, I don't like any of those scenarios. Canadian players are the backbone of each team throughout the off season in the cities they play in. Reducing the number of starting Canadian will reduce the number of recognizable players. BAD MOVE.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    DAVIS: Ratio must stay the same to preserve essence of CFL:

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/16/d...ssence-of-cfl/