Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agree 100% with McCarty.

Without Canadians, this league may as well just be another crappy spring American league, because you will never see anything close to roster stability if you can freely replace the entire roster with cheaper options every year. The American players complaining about what they make compared to Canadian starters don't seem to understand this.

Dumbest tweet I read yesterday was a complaint about a 6th lineman making more than a starting RB or LB. I call BS on this. Maybe on the entry level deal, but an American good enough to get a 2nd contract after his entry is not making less than a 6th o-lineman.
    Right on AV - it is total B$ - and a CFL fairy tale that a lot of dupes out there got sold and swallowed hook, line & sinker - that Canadian players make so much more = what a crock of $hite; and when the highest paid position, by far, in the league has been reserved for Americans only for decades now; more Americans are starters and starters make more money; American players eat up way more of a CFL team's $MS than Canadians do. But that's still not American enough - for the GOBs, and the gullible, dupe fans who believe in cliches, bullshite and fairy tales.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone on the leagues part fed this as misinformation to Dunk to get the PA fighting among themselves. If twitter is any indication, the American players and the Canadian players have a huge difference of opinion here.
    Yup, and it shouldn't surprise anyone either - divide and conquer. Some players are bringing this up on twitter as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Well, this all blew up quickly! The comment that had me shake my head the most was Duron Carter calling out Ricky Foley and asking what exactly Foley had done in this league!

I fully acknowledge that the CFL needs American talent in order to make this league work but it also needs Canadian depth at all levels (players, coaches, management, etc.).

The Americans that come to the CFL that have been humbled and embrace not only the CFL, but the country itself, are the one's that help make the CFL so special (not the ones that are only trying to get back to the NFL). When you combine that kind of attitude from an American player with homegrown, Canadian players, then you have the making for a very unique brand of football and a very special league.
    Yeah Carter has been busy on Twitter in regards to this issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Duron Carter is close to being human gutterfilth IMO. That said here is my thought on the ratio (as posted elsewhere)

If the commish wants to "build" his CFL 2.0

This would be my thought.

ADD 2 Practice roster spots for global players.

Keep the min CDN starters at 7

However, IF a global player does get a start, give the team the OPTION to start that player as a CDN, or INT.

Then in 5 or so years, see how the experiment has progressed, if at all. Revisit the ratio at that point (next CBA)
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Banks' tweets regarding hard work make me laugh. Is this not the same guy that quit in the last minute of a Grey Cup game because he had a TD called back? He may be very fast, very quick, but definitely not the sharpest tool in the drawer.
    Wonder what his O-Line thinks of him and his comments.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Love Carter questioning Foley’s credentials as a player, chirps before he thinks, glad he found a home elsewhere.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Love Carter questioning Foley’s credentials as a player, chirps before he thinks, glad he found a home elsewhere.
    He is deep deep in his backpack. In a fog. Such a waste of talent.

21 days to break a habit Duron.

If this loser Duron is still with the Lions, I'll make it a point to show up in an Argo's Ricky Foley jersey to each and every game, and heckle the loser pothead.
    Last edited by argonaut11xx; 03-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Yeah, bad move on Carter's part. And IMO, what makes it even worse is Foley was one of the more vocal Canadian's who wanted to increase the rookie American pay, and get American's better benefits. SMH

Foley also brought up that he didn't play much at the tail end of his career, while hinting that his passport was the reason he was able to stick around for so long. Again, kudos to him admitting it (without completely admitting it), and for understanding where some of the American's are coming from.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    This one is my favourite, because there's so many people saying this on twitter, and yet I'd be willing to bet they pay no attention to USports Football...
    Very true.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Duron is a drug addict, why bother to argue until is mind is clear.

Loser pothead stoner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Foley clearly articulated an understanding of both sides while at the same time putting up with no sh*t, good on him.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Yeah Carter has been busy on Twitter in regards to this issue.

Oh God, now Duron is asking fans to literally kiss his ass:

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/19/o...-kiss-his-ass/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Duron is a drug addict, why bother to argue until is mind is clear.

Loser pothead stoner.
    Get serious. Pot smokers are not drug addicts. Heavy drinking is a thousand times worse than smoking pot, and this is coming from me, who has never smoked in my life. I can tell you, I like pot smokers a lot more than drunk ass fools.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The number of U Sport players now being signed by NFL teams is often used as an argument to reduce the Canadian ratio. If one has attended live U Sport football games, you notice that not only have the top players improved but the overall quality, training. preparation, depth and coaching has improved greatly from 20 or 30 years ago. Players are now expected to train with the team 12 months of the year. The depth of talent on U Sport football teams is much improved and if you add the increased number of Canadian players coming from the NCAA, there really is no reason to reduce the Canadian ratio.

Perhaps we need a Canadian ratio for coaches and GM's----OK a joke but not by far

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The number of U Sport players now being signed by NFL teams is often used as an argument to reduce the Canadian ratio. If one has attended live U Sport football games, you notice that not only have the top players improved but the overall quality, training. preparation, depth and coaching has improved greatly from 20 or 30 years ago. Players are now expected to train with the team 12 months of the year. The depth of talent on U Sport football teams is much improved and if you add the increased number of Canadian players coming from the NCAA, there really is no reason to reduce the Canadian ratio.

Perhaps we need a Canadian ratio for coaches and GM's----OK a joke but not by far
    You'd expect a CFL team ownership group to show some guts or respect for Canadian football talent or Canadian football decision making and the integrity of the game & league? = yes, a joke. ;o) Teddy Morris reincarnate ?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Get serious. Pot smokers are not drug addicts. Heavy drinking is a thousand times worse than smoking pot, and this is coming from me, who has never smoked in my life. I can tell you, I like pot smokers a lot more than drunk ass fools.
    Carter may be a fool, but I agree: cannabis has nothing to do with it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

These days most serious athletes train all year.

I don't see how depth of talent in U Sports can be higher today when far fewer high schools are playing football in most parts of the country. Much better NCAA access for Canadian players might actually be harming the CFL because those players also have better access to the NFL. It definitely hurts depth of talent in U Sports.

(rant on)
    For me the ratio issue is tied directly to the development of college football on both sides of the border. Down south, college football has grown and monetized itself to such a degree that it can go head-to-head with any other sports entity, even the NFL. That all started in 1984 when Oklahoma and Georgia sued the NCAA and won the right to negotiate their own TV contracts. The NCAA wanted things to stay the same (similar to U Sports), but today the big conferences control major college football. The top NCAA division has grown from about 85 schools to over 120, and many of those new schools didn't sponsor football in the 80s.

Meanwhile in Canada, U Sports has continually rejected any kind of scholarship system, has little interest in promoting itself, and has done nothing to try and grow to the game. It has been a consistent 50-year policy of de-emphasizing football. Just look at the results -- a whole three nationally televised games in November, for which they probably get paid peanuts. By comparison, curling (curling!) is booming, and has had a gazillion hours of coverage in the last month. Curling pursued a policy of growth, and succeeded to the point of getting the sport into the Olympics. And I actually like curling.

I'm in favour of the ratio remaining as it is, but if U Sports continues to bury its head in the sand, then nobody should be surprised that the ratio has gone from 12 to 7 Canadian starters since the 60s, and may get reduced again.
    (/rant over)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    These days most serious athletes train all year.

I don't see how depth of talent in U Sports can be higher today when far fewer high schools are playing football in most parts of the country. Much better NCAA access for Canadian players might actually be harming the CFL because those players also have better access to the NFL. It definitely hurts depth of talent in U Sports.

(rant on)
    For me the ratio issue is tied directly to the development of college football on both sides of the border. Down south, college football has grown and monetized itself to such a degree that it can go head-to-head with any other sports entity, even the NFL. That all started in 1984 when Oklahoma and Georgia sued the NCAA and won the right to negotiate their own TV contracts. The NCAA wanted things to stay the same (similar to U Sports), but today the big conferences control major college football. The top NCAA division has grown from about 85 schools to over 120, and many of those new schools didn't sponsor football in the 80s.

Meanwhile in Canada, U Sports has continually rejected any kind of scholarship system, has little interest in promoting itself, and has done nothing to try and grow to the game. It has been a consistent 50-year policy of de-emphasizing football. Just look at the results -- a whole three nationally televised games in November, for which they probably get paid peanuts. By comparison, curling (curling!) is booming, and has had a gazillion hours of coverage in the last month. Curling pursued a policy of growth, and succeeded to the point of getting the sport into the Olympics. And I actually like curling.

I'm in favour of the ratio remaining as it is, but if U Sports continues to bury its head in the sand, then nobody should be surprised that the ratio has gone from 12 to 7 Canadian starters since the 60s, and may get reduced again.
    (/rant over)
    Part of the problem IMO is that in Canada, Universities care little about their sports, as it's the Student part of Student Athlete that concerns them the most. I suppose that's a good thing, but it's also revenue limiting and ensures that teachers and faculty horde the money (which is a major problem IMO). I'll leave it at that since this is a thread about the ratio.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Before judging the quality of the U Sport football and the players, I urge folks go to at least half a dozen games this coming season, especially games involving teams in the top rankings. The recruiting is much more professional and intense than 25 years ago. Most teams have film on the players they are pursuing. There are scholarships for the recruited players, granted not full rides like south of the border but enough to make the players lot a little easier.

As stated earlier, players train 12 months a year and have much better overall and positional coaching than 25-30. years ago. Please go to the games, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of play both from starters and backups.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Before judging the quality of the U Sport football and the players, I urge folks go to at least half a dozen games this coming season, especially games involving teams in the top rankings. The recruiting is much more professional and intense than 25 years ago. Most teams have film on the players they are pursuing. There are scholarships for the recruited players, granted not full rides like south of the border but enough to make the players lot a little easier.

As stated earlier, players train 12 months a year and have much better overall and positional coaching than 25-30. years ago. Please go to the games, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of play both from starters and backups.
    No doubt. It would just be better if the talent was better spread among all the schools.
    It's us vs the rest of the country