Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

Argonauts Marketing in Toronto and the GTA

One of the things all of us were excited about when MLSE bought the Argos was their branding power and marketing potential. to date, i cannot recall seeing any bit of visual merchandising or advertising for the Argos. has anyone seen any around? has anyone heard word of any plans to initiate a (series) of promotions?

ill admit im severely disappointed in how little mlse has done for the visibility of the Argos thus far. im still hopeful, but im a 31 year old who has friends as young as 22 who have no idea Toronto has a professional football team. its disastrous.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Attachment 941

Just throwing this out there for historical reference.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

New Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Attachment 941

Just throwing this out there for historical reference.
    'fraid i cant see the attachment

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos responding to a tweet regarding jerseys:

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize this was posted in another thread. Mods, feel free to remove if so desired.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BayArgonaut View Post
    'fraid i cant see the attachment
    I can't figure out how to post a picture that is not online. Sorry about that.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can't figure out how to post a picture that is not online. Sorry about that.
    You have to upload it to a file sharing site and then use the Link.

New Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Argos responding to a tweet regarding jerseys:

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize this was posted in another thread. Mods, feel free to remove if so desired.

in any case, the Argos are doing a jersey launch and noone is talking it up. not one bit of promo or advertisement. its pathetic to be honest

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    in any case, the Argos are doing a jersey launch and noone is talking it up. not one bit of promo or advertisement. its pathetic to be honest

Some of us had a sneaking suspicion this supposed high powered sports machine that became Argo owners might not exactly know what they're doing in terms of Canadian football, the Argos and marketing of those 2 things.

But hey, it's still early ;o) - give them some time and the Argos will be a brand to reckon with again in GTA wannabeland; an NFL wannabe and some Volvo driving soccer snobs are just perfect to steer the good ship out of troubled waters.

I mentioned this idea before in another thread here on this subject. Could MLSE not be able to leverage an Argo booth set-up somewhere in or around the Leaf & Raptor home play-off games - just a small set-up with some photos and pamphlets of Argos history, some pocket scheds. to hand-out, and maybe a couple of Argo greats (eg. Pinball, Don Moen, Damon Allen. etc. whoever would volunteer) on hand to chat or pose for photos with sports fans. Can't see this idea costing much - too difficult or whacky to try ?

MUCH MORE EFFORT needed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Or maybe the jerseys for all teams will be unveiled at the same time, in a launch coordinated by the league, not individual teams. New Era's contract is with the league. When every team got new jerseys in 2016, there was a single announcement featuring the entire league:

https://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/12/new-se...on-has-landed/

The same thing happened in 2005 when stars from each team (including John Avery of the Argos) came together in the new duds. I fully expect the same thing to happen this time. (And yes, I'm aware that Montreal did an unveil earlier this off-season but that was a complete makeover, including logo. And the Alouettes appeared to be in dire need of extra help getting fan attention.)

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Why would we talk up a jersey release when we have at least one other event before that? It's still weeks away. Why would we do that when the Raps and Leafs are both opening playoff series, taking up 99% of the sports pages? You'll find out about these things in due time. We're open to criticism or suggestions, but calling it pathetic is extreme, no?

I read somewhere that patience is a virtue.

If your definition of marketing is putting an ad in the paper or an ad on the radio, that's not the best bang for the buck anymore. The targeting of specific groups, school kids and young athletes, is something that needed to happen in this market and is long overdue. The connection to the Toronto Flag Football League is targeting young athletes who already have an interest in the sport, now we have to get them interested in our brand, team and league. The same goes for the pre-season game, it's an effort to get kids exposed to the Argos at an impressionable age...the same as many of us were. It's the same with our effort to get free footballs into the hands of kids. The more they play, the more inclined they'll be to become fans of the sport.

I think the people on the social media side have done a great job of keeping fans informed and entertained over the off season. I feel our Argonauts.ca content has kept fans informed of what's being done on the Xs and Os side, more so than in other off seasons.

The goal is to get people to become long-time fans. Without getting into specifics, our research shows if we can get people to a game, there's a good chance they'll come back. If we can get them to come out 3-4 times the odds are really good that they'll keep coming back on a regular basis.

The goal is to make going to an Argo game the best sporting event in the city for fans (I think it is now, but the goal is to make it even better). Be patient, I think you'll like what we have in store for this year.

This is the first full off-season for us to do a plan for a season. I've seen what's gone on behind the scenes and it's impressive. If you think MLSE is in this for the short term, you're wrong. The goal is to make this team a success on and off the field year after year after year.

What our ticketing department did last year with a 4-14 team and essentially three months lead-up to the season was astonishing. After Labour Day there was no walkup crowd, based mostly on the team's record, but overall the paid attendance still went up. There are some incredibly hard-working people with some great ideas busting their rear ends to make this team a success at the gate. Let them work their magic.

I love your passion and your desire to see more splash, but this is not a short-term turnaround in the market, and everyone I work with is aware of that. I hope you continue to work with us, not against us, to make that happen.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Mike Hogan; 04-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.

New Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    Or maybe the jerseys for all teams will be unveiled at the same time, in a launch coordinated by the league, not individual teams. New Era's contract is with the league. When every team got new jerseys in 2016, there was a single announcement featuring the entire league:

https://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/12/new-se...on-has-landed/

The same thing happened in 2005 when stars from each team (including John Avery of the Argos) came together in the new duds. I fully expect the same thing to happen this time. (And yes, I'm aware that Montreal did an unveil earlier this off-season but that was a complete makeover, including logo. And the Alouettes appeared to be in dire need of extra help getting fan attention.)
    its more than likely what you say, but it doesnt have to be exclusive. the launch of any item can be spearheaded by the league but that doesnt mean the team cant ramp up a hype machine. there is plenty to work with to get word out about something i would say is pretty big. Montreal being the first, may mean they're launching from east to west. or no particular way, who knows.
    this should be a talking point though, not just an "oh, here you are. surprise!".
    unless of course, only montreal gets the overhaul...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    its more than likely what you say, but it doesnt have to be exclusive. the launch of any item can be spearheaded by the league but that doesnt mean the team cant ramp up a hype machine. there is plenty to work with to get word out about something i would say is pretty big. Montreal being the first, may mean they're launching from east to west. or no particular way, who knows.
    this should be a talking point though, not just an "oh, here you are. surprise!".
    unless of course, only montreal gets the overhaul...
    So now that you're sounding a bit more rational (and hopefully by now you have also read Mike Hogan's detailed and diplomatic response), would it be too much to ask that you acknowledge that this is not "pathetic to be honest"? The way a few fans are so quick to condemn is astonishing and disheartening at times. In some cases (not yours, to be clear), virtually every post is negative and most amount to repetitious whining. It's a wonder anyone from the org ever bothers to read this forum, much less to offer dignified responses as Hoagie has done more than once.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Years (if not decades) of brand neglect won’t be turned around overnight, incremental improvements over an extended period of time will ultimately prove to be sustainable.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

New Fan
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    Why would we talk up a jersey release when we have at least one other event before that? It's still weeks away. Why would we do that when the Raps and Leafs are both opening playoff series, taking up 99% of the sports pages? You'll find out about these things in due time. We're open to criticism or suggestions, but calling it pathetic is extreme, no?

I read somewhere that patience is a virtue.

If your definition of marketing is putting an ad in the paper or an ad on the radio, that's not the best bang for the buck anymore. The targeting of specific groups, school kids and young athletes, is something that needed to happen in this market and is long overdue. The connection to the Toronto Flag Football League is targeting young athletes who already have an interest in the sport, now we have to get them interested in our brand, team and league. The same goes for the pre-season game, it's an effort to get kids exposed to the Argos at an impressionable age...the same as many of us were. It's the same with our effort to get free footballs into the hands of kids. The more they play, the more inclined they'll be to become fans of the sport.

I think the people on the social media side have done a great job of keeping fans informed and entertained over the off season. I feel our Argonauts.ca content has kept fans informed of what's being done on the Xs and Os side, more so than in other off seasons.

The goal is to get people to become long-time fans. Without getting into specifics, our research shows if we can get people to a game, there's a good chance they'll come back. If we can get them to come out 3-4 times the odds are really good that they'll keep coming back on a regular basis.

The goal is to make going to an Argo game the best sporting event in the city for fans (I think it is now, but the goal is to make it even better). Be patient, I think you'll like what we have in store for this year.

This is the first full off-season for us to do plan for a season. I've seen what's gone on behind the scenes and it's impressive. If you think MLSE is in this for the short term, you're wrong. The goal is to make this team a success on and off the field year after year after year.

What our ticketing department did last year with a 4-14 team and essentially three months lead-up to the season was astonishing. After Labour Day there was no walkup crowd, based mostly on the team's record, but overall the paid attendance still went up. There are some incredibly hard-working people with some great ideas busting their rear ends to make this team a success at the gate. Let them work their magic.

I love your passion and your desire to see more splash, but this is not a short-term turnaround in the market, and everyone I work with is aware of that. I hope you continue to work with us, not against us, to make that happen.

Cheers.

im trusting you on this 'cause you're the guy.

but being in the market, ive grown up with people not even knowing we have a professional football team, so something is off base when people will watch the nfl completely unaware there is a CFL. print or radio or tv isnt my idea of marketing, but really when image is everything around branding and the image isnt even visible it makes you wonder whats being done. i get alot of CFL ads because an algorithm has already determined that im interested in Canadian professional and collegiate football, not the case for many others.

you can always try to allocate a slot for any talking point around the league or a team, but the talking points need to be there. imagine if there was a teaser for anything Argos related while the 2.5 million heads are watching the Leafs v Boston. would it be a resounding success? who knows, but im sure theres a way to test the waters.

even with the amazing game day experience -something i'll never complain about- if people dont know an event is happening, how are they going to participate?
    i've kept my renewal of season seats for a while but now am the only one in my group of friends to do so.

one thing i do want to ask you, if you happen to know: whats being done to get new canadians to be fans?
    ive been ranting ad nauseam that second language media(maybe even broadcast?) needs to be done in either mandarin, punjabi, arabic, tagalog or cantonese(being the languages with largest increases) so that new canadians can participate in something canadian without giving up a part of their identity.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    We'll obviously pump things up when the season starts. James Wilder Jr, for example, is throwing out the first pitch at the Jays game tomorrow.

Ticketing is targeting new Canadians in terms of group sales. Football can be a difficult sport for newcomers to understand, not just new Canadians, but people unfamiliar with the sport. The goal is to start making a dent with different groups within the GTA's fantastic ethnic gumbo. There's no more "Canadian" event than the Grey Cup, something we're stressing to those groups. Other events are planned as well, again, I'm not going to jump any announcements here.

So...long answer short, we're trying to get a toehold this year so the interest in those communities grows going forward.

As for the interplay with our other properties, the Leafs, Raps etc, the plan is to better cross-promote franchises. That's something that has definitely been talked about and I can guarantee you it's going to improve over time.

It was under the radar, but Derel Walker was flown to Toronto the opening night of free agency. He spent the next night at a Raptors game in a private box with Wilder, Lemon, Edwards, Darby and the personnel guys. The money was significant, but that event helped put him over the top. He cancelled two other planned visits the next day and agreed to the Argos terms. That MLSE connection with the Raps may have sealed the deal.

Much of the stuff being done is directly with a targeted group and wouldn't be visible to the masses. We'll get a lot more visible closer to the season. We just had a meeting to go over what's planned for written content for Argonauts.ca and some of the social media content...I'm going to be a busy boy this season and am energized by that.

I hope you trust me...I'm not BSing you at all. Things will be announced in the days and weeks ahead. I hope you can lure some of your pals back to BMO Field so they can experience some of the improvements. I can honestly say this is a great time to be an Argos fan.

Pull Together.
    Last edited by Mike Hogan; 04-12-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Also worth noting that Wilder has been promoting the start of the hockey playoffs (i.e. Leafs) this week, and of course Marner was a visible cheerleader at a few Argo games in summer of 2017. These are good cross-promotion initiatives and I have no doubt we'll see more of these in the months and years to come.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    We'll obviously pump things up when the season starts. James Wilder Jr, for example, is throwing out the first pitch at the Jays game tomorrow.

Ticketing is targeting new Canadians in terms of group sales. Football can be a difficult sport for newcomers to understand, not just new Canadians, but people unfamiliar with the sport. The goal is to start making a dent with different groups within the GTA's fantastic ethnic gumbo. There's no more "Canadian" event than the Grey Cup, something we're stressing to those groups. Other events are planned as well, again, I'm not going to jump any announcements here.

So...long answer short, we're trying to get a toehold this year so the interest in those communities grows going forward.

As for the interplay with our other properties, the Leafs, Raps etc, the plan is to better cross-promote franchises. That's something that has definitely been talked about and I can guarantee you it's going to improve over time.

It was under the radar, but Derel Walker was flown to Toronto the opening night of free agency. He spent the next night at a Raptors game in a private box with Wilder, Lemon, Edwards, Darby and the personnel guys. The money was significant, but that event helped put him over the top. He cancelled two other planned visits the next day and agreed to the Argos terms. That MLSE connection with the Raps may have sealed the deal.

Much of the stuff being done is directly with a targeted group and wouldn't be visible to the masses. We'll get a lot more visible closer to the season. We just had a meeting to go over what's planned for written content for Argonauts.ca and some of the social media content...I'm going to be a busy boy this season and am energized by that.

I hope you trust me...I'm not BSing you at all. Things will be announced in the days and weeks ahead. I hope you can lure some of your pals back to BMO Field so they can experience some of the improvements. I can honestly say this is a great time to be an Argos fan.

Pull Together.

Hope you are right Mike - looking forward to all of the new Argo marketing ideas.

I guess though that none of the ideas that some very passionate Argo fans here have suggested as worth trying are worth addressing? How bout the old style pocket schedules (a much glossier and better version though) that used to be available pumped out on display in convenience, beer & liquor stores counters all over the GTA? How bout approaching a local (or big national) brewer to have Argo caps or tees available in cases of 24 ? - this trick is done for NFL, NHL, Raptors or Jays swag ? MY idea for having an Argo booth with scheds. Argo history & pictures, and an Argo great available to chat - at Leaf or Raptor play-off games (plus Jays games) - is totally useless ?

The points and concern that BayArgonaut brings up in this thread are quite valid IMO - where is the marketing effort up till now? was it better to wait till the start of this season for some reason? Sorry, but I just have little faith in this Argo ownership group in this department at this point> Love to be proven wrong though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Love to be proven wrong though.
    Wish I could believe that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Hope you are right Mike - looking forward to all of the new Argo marketing ideas.

I guess though that none of the ideas that some very passionate Argo fans here have suggested as worth trying are worth addressing? How bout the old style pocket schedules (a much glossier and better version though) that used to be available pumped out on display in convenience, beer & liquor stores counters all over the GTA? How bout approaching a local (or big national) brewer to have Argo caps or tees available in cases of 24 ? - this trick is done for NFL, NHL, Raptors or Jays swag ? MY idea for having an Argo booth with scheds. Argo history & pictures, and an Argo great available to chat - at Leaf or Raptor play-off games (plus Jays games) - is totally useless ?

The points and concern that BayArgonaut brings up in this thread are quite valid IMO - where is the marketing effort up till now? was it better to wait till the start of this season for some reason? Sorry, but I just have little faith in this Argo ownership group in this department at this point> Love to be proven wrong though.
    Pocket schedules are not required anymore IMO. Anyone can easily find the schedule on their phone. I do like your earlier idea of having someone like Pinball or the Argonauts cheerleaders at Jurassic Park / Maple Leafs Square to promote the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Wish I could believe that.

Right; how dare any of us know nothing fans question anything this Argo ownership does; sorry bout that.