Thread: Training Camp

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Yes, watched the kickers on Monday. He has a strong leg but not sure of his accuracy
    It would be extremely difficult to make any conclusions based on the weather conditions on Monday.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    So quick question .... how was SJ GReen at camp? ... I noticed in the transaction section of the Argos site 2 lines with his name ....

2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Add To Active Roster
    2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Delete From Active Free Agent

so I 'm confused .... did he just show up to camp? or is he released? is he injured?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    There are a number of clerical type roster moves, such as the one noted above. Someone with a better understanding of the intricacies of CFL roster regulations, hopefully can provide some insight as to why and how these paper moves occur.

There were some releases today and interestingly, Kennan Gilchrist (LB) who seems to have some real potential, was signed after supposedly retiring a few days ago.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    So quick question .... how was SJ GReen at camp? ... I noticed in the transaction section of the Argos site 2 lines with his name ....

2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Add To Active Roster
    2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Delete From Active Free Agent

so I 'm confused .... did he just show up to camp? or is he released? is he injured?
    They probably re-negotiated. Believe me if a player with S.J's stature had been released outright we would know about it.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    They probably re-negotiated. Believe me if a player with S.J's stature had been released outright we would know about it.
    That was my guess; re-registering contracts with new provisions?

I noticed Jeff Finlay's name is back in there with an injury designation
    Hustle hit and never quit

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Any fights yet

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Day 4 - Training Camp Report @ YorkU

The Argos were on a two-a-day workout, giving ample time to check out what was happening. It was an ugly morning, with rain/drizzle and gusting winds.

The coaching staff run a high tempo practice with players and coaches showing lots of energy. Cory McDiarmid (Special Teams) and Dan Dorazio (Offensive Line) are relentless in their coaching instruction, communicating information and pushing guys to be their best. They were both noticeably hoarse at the beginning of practice. I can’t see them having a voice in another couple of days!

Head Coach Corey Chamblin spent his time exclusively with the defense, putting his system into place. As fans will know, Chamblin utilizes athleticism and versatility and pushes players to be aggressive. This was demonstrated as the defensive backs and linebackers made a number of interceptions, jumping receiver routes, and seizing the ball in front of their covered receivers. This elicited great cheers from the defensive players. Key free-agent signings Micah Awe, Tobi Antigha, Kevin Fogg, and Ian Wild all look to be key pieces in the new-look defense. The much vaulted defense line should give offenses fits, with Shawn Lemon and Tobi Antigha on the ends and Laing and Ken Bishop manning the middle. ‘Poop’ Johnson should see plenty of rotation, and I imagine Freddie Bishop as well, as he becomes more familiar with the schemes. Ian Wild manned the middle, Micah Awe lined up with the 1st team at WIL--the primary tackling position in a Corey Chamblin defense. Alden Darby rounded out the LB corps at SAM, with the veteran Gabriel at Safety, Kanneh and Ford at HB, and Trumaine Washington at field CB and Kevin Fogg at boundary CB.

Along the offensive line, the usual lineup was Cage - J Campbell - McEwen - Bomben - W Campbell, but for ratio flexibility they also lined up with J Campbell sliding to LT with Holmes beside him at LG. In due time Shane Richards backed by Josiah St. John could be in the van Zeyl succession plan at RT as well. This offensive line is all of big, strong, and athletic--a bulwark for James Franklin to succeed behind.

There's ratio flexibility in the receiving corps as well, with Levi Noel and Jimmy Ralph both looking to start along with the trio of star-studded International receivers in Derel Walker, SJ Green and Armanti Edwards. Imports Rod Smith and rookie Kamathi Holsey provide a couple of big-bodied targets, and Mario Alford and Chandler Worthy have speed to burn. Anthony Coombs, Declan Cross, Mercer Timmis, and Alex Charette provide ample National depth. It was somewhat of a surprise to see Brandon Burks getting a majority of 1st team reps today at RB. I imagine James Wilder Jr will still be the primary back and expect to see the Argos try to have both Burks and Wilder Jr on the roster, using each situationally. It’s uncertain where Tyrell Sutton fits in, but Offensive Coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine must be thrilled with his arsenal.

Perhaps the biggest battle in Argos’ camp this year is at the kicking positions, with Ronnie Pfeffer being challenged by YouTube sensation Donald de la Haye (K/P), Nebraska product Drew Brown (K), and CFL veterans Zack Madeiros (K/P) and Tyler Crapigna (K). Crapigna was stunningly accurate in Saskatchewan but doesn’t have the strongest leg and isn’t a capable punter. Donald de la Haye showed he can boom his punts, but seems to lack consistency and placement. So far it looks as though the role(s) are still Pfeffer’s to lose. One of the nicest punts of the day came from QB Brandon Bridge who boomed one 50+ yards. Bridge punted in high school and clearly hasn’t lost his technique nor any leg strength.

James Franklin is in control of the offense and was sharp all morning after being anointed the starting QB by his head coach on Tuesday. McLeod Bethel-Thompson led the 2nd team offense, with Brandon Bridge leading the 3rd. Noah Picton looks like a teenager next to his teammates, at 5’7” 165 lbs, but there must be some great intangibles there for him to be in camp again this year. Jim Popp sang his praises at the fan town hall during the off-season, so there’s one guy in his corner. Popp had hoped he’d see play-time last pre-season, but it didn’t happen under Head Coach Marc Testman. Maybe we’ll see Picton get some game reps this pre-season. Dakota Prukop had an average day but showed his desire by spending extra time after practice chatting with his coaches. Mitchell O'Connor looks like a prototypical quarterback but looked slow to release the ball today.

Following practice, FB Declan Cross challenged his teammates to pull-ups and put on quite a show along with Levi Noel, ‘Poop’ Johnson, and rookie receiver Kamathi Holsey.

Not much to report on the ‘Global’ players. Top european draft pick Marc Anthony Hor elected not to come to camp and is pursuing other career opportunities. I didn’t notice the two Mexican defensive players, though I imagine LB Hernandez Delgado will be the one to roster as his LB position makes him an ideal special-teamer, something 260 lb Cassarubias-Santiago and 170 lb WR Kimi Linnainmaa are probably less suited for.

Corey Chamblin was quiet except for one team huddle when he stressed the effort and determination required when the game is on the line late in the 4th quarter. His message was clear: 100% effort! No walking!

Other observations:
    - Edwards and Green catch the ball in traffic SO well
    - Jimmy Ralph had perhaps the nicest deep play today
    - Derel Walker showed separation on most routes but didn't have a great day, dropping a few deep ones that hit him in both hands. His resume shows that we need not give that much attention though
    - Chris Rainey looks great at KR, with Chandler Worthy is a more-than-'worthy' second option.
    - loved the intensity shown at practice--and without any dust-ups among players!

Last edited by BantOarsman; 05-24-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thank you for the report!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Anyone know the schedule for Sunday? I was going to come Saturday, but rain in the forecast will alter my other plans.

New Fan
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Anyone know the schedule for Sunday? I was going to come Saturday, but rain in the forecast will alter my other plans.
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2018-traini...edia-schedule/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BantOarsman77 View Post
    Thanks, but shows only to Saturday, hence my Sunday question.

New Fan
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Thanks, but shows only to Saturday, hence my Sunday question.
    Sorry. Glad you know how to use the google machine!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BantOarsman View Post
    Day 4 - Training Camp Report @ YorkU

The Argos were on a two-a-day workout, giving ample time to check out what was happening. It was an ugly morning, with rain/drizzle and gusting winds.

The coaching staff run a high tempo practice with players and coaches showing lots of energy. Cory McDiarmid (Special Teams) and Dan Dorazio (Offensive Line) are relentless in their coaching instruction, communicating information and pushing guys to be their best. They were both noticeably hoarse at the beginning of practice. I can’t see them having a voice in another couple of days!

Head Coach Corey Chamblin spent his time exclusively with the defense, putting his system into place. As fans will know, Chamblin utilizes athleticism and versatility and pushes players to be aggressive. This was demonstrated as the defensive backs and linebackers made a number of interceptions, jumping receiver routes, and seizing the ball in front of their covered receivers. This elicited great cheers from the defensive players. Key free-agent signings Micah Awe, Tobi Antigha, Kevin Fogg, and Ian Wild all look to be key pieces in the new-look defense. The much vaulted defense line should give offenses fits, with Shawn Lemon and Tobi Antigha on the ends and Laing and Ken Bishop manning the middle. ‘Poop’ Johnson should see plenty of rotation, and I imagine Freddie Bishop as well, as he becomes more familiar with the schemes. Ian Wild manned the middle, Micah Awe lined up with the 1st team at WIL--the primary tackling position in a Corey Chamblin defense. Alden Darby rounded out the LB corps at SAM, with the veteran Gabriel at Safety, Kanneh and Ford at HB, and Trumaine Washington at field CB and Kevin Fogg at boundary CB.

Along the offensive line, the usual lineup was Cage - J Campbell - McEwen - Bomben - W Campbell, but for ratio flexibility they also lined up with J Campbell sliding to LT with Holmes beside him at LG. In due time Shane Richards backed by Josiah St. John could be in the van Zeyl succession plan at RT as well. This offensive line is all of big, strong, and athletic--a bulwark for James Franklin to succeed behind.

There's ratio flexibility in the receiving corps as well, with Levi Noel and Jimmy Ralph both looking to start along with the trio of star-studded International receivers in Derek Walker, SJ Green and Armanti Edwards. Imports Rod Smith and rookie Kamathi Holsey provide a couple of big-bodied targets, and Mario Alford and Chandler Worthy have speed to burn. Anthony Coombs, Declan Cross, Mercer Timmis, and Alex Charette provide ample National depth. It was somewhat of a surprise to see Brandon Burks getting a majority of 1st team reps today at RB. I imagine James Wilder Jr will still be the primary back and expect to see the Argos try to have both Burks and Wilder Jr on the roster, using each situationally. It’s uncertain where Tyrell Sutton fits in, but Offensive Coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine must be thrilled with his arsenal.

Perhaps the biggest battle in Argos’ camp this year is at the kicking positions, with Ronnie Pfeffer being challenged by YouTube sensation Donald de la Haye (K/P), Nebraska product Drew Brown (K), and CFL veterans Zack Madeiros (K/P) and Tyler Crapigna (K). Crapigna was stunningly accurate in Saskatchewan but doesn’t have the strongest leg and isn’t a capable punter. Donald de la Haye showed he can boom his punts, but seems to lack consistency and placement. So far it looks as though the role(s) are still Pfeffer’s to lose. One of the nicest punts of the day came from QB Brandon Bridge who boomed one 50+ yards. Bridge punted in high school and clearly hasn’t lost his technique nor any leg strength.

James Franklin is in control of the offense and was sharp all morning after being anointed the starting QB title by his head coach on Tuesday. McLeod Bethel-Thompson led the 2nd team offense, with Brandon Bridge leading the 3rd. Noah Picton looks like a teenager next to his teammates, at 5’7” 165 lbs, but there must be some great intangibles there for him to be in camp again this year. Jim Popp sang his praises at the fan town hall during the off-season, so there’s one guy in his corner. Popp had hoped he’d see play-time last pre-season, but it didn’t happen under Head Coach Marc Testman. Maybe we’ll see Picton get some game reps this pre-season. Dakota Prukop had an average day but showed his desire by spending extra time after practice chatting with his coaches. Mitchell O'Connor looks like a prototypical quarterback but looked slow to release the ball today.

Following practice, FB Declan Cross challenged his teammates to pull-ups and put on quite a show along with Levi Noel, ‘Poop’ Johnson, and rookie receiver Kamathi Holsey.

Not much to report on the ‘Global’ players. Top european draft pick Marc Anthony Hor elected not to come to camp and is pursuing other career opportunities. I didn’t notice the two Mexican defensive players, though I imagine LB Hernandez Delgado will be the one to roster as his LB position makes him an ideal special-teamer, something 260 lb Cassarubias-Santiago and 170 lb WR Kimi Linnainmaa are probably less suited for.

Corey Chamblin was quiet except for one team huddle when he stressed the effort and determination required when the game is on the line late in the 4th quarter. His message was clear: 100% effort! No walking!

Other observations:
    - Edwards and Green catch the ball in traffic SO well
    - Jimmy Ralph had perhaps the nicest deep play today
    - Derel Walker showed separation on most routes but didn't have a great day, dropping a few deep ones that hit him in both hands. His resume shows that we need not give that much attention though
    - Chris Rainey looks great at KR, with Chandler Worthy is a more-than-'worthy' second option.
    - loved the intensity shown at practice--and without any dust-ups among players!

Thank you for the report! Great stuff in there.

I'm surprised Wild was in the middle. Everybody keeps saying hes too small and that's not his natural position.

Great to hear that Jamal Campbells getting a serious look. I thought Tyler Holmes fell off a bit last year and hope he rebounds. It would be incredible if Jamal ends up playing left tackle.

I was really disappointed with Pfeffer last year. They put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders and he buckled under the pressure. We lost some close games early in 2018 where he missed one or two fgs. I'd almost like them to go with two canadians, crapigna on fgs and pfeffer/medeiros on punts and kickoffs. I wonder if de la Haye might be the most cap-friendly option, if not the most ratio-friendly.

I'm freaked out about these 5'9'' DBs playing with the first team. Call me a height-ist if you want... I cant help it.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Awe and Wild flipped at MAC and WIL a bit but Wild was more often in the middle.

Look what Zicarelli wrote today:
    https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...-of-veteran-lb

Chamb loves Wild

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Very interested in seeing if Jamal is ready to start. We could definitely use an upgrade over Holmes at RG.

I think when the dust settles, Medeiros will be our punter and Brown will be our kicker. But the competition for those spots is certainly intriguing.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Very interested in seeing if Jamal is ready to start. We could definitely use an upgrade over Holmes at RG.

I think when the dust settles, Medeiros will be our punter and Brown will be our kicker. But the competition for those spots is certainly intriguing.
    I think Crapigna might win the kicking job if he is 100% healthy. If he and Brown are equal, the National status will likely be the deciding factor. BTW, Holmes is LG not RG. Bomben and CVZ played the same side last year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    It would be nice of J. Campbell could lay claim to either of the tackle spots. I'd rather not have to play 2 INT on the line if I don't have to.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Good Report BantOarsman. Sounds like the starting lineup is starting to take shape. It will be interesting to see who eventually winds up as the starting OT's on the offensive line. Probably safe to go with the experienced ones to start with though.
    The you tube sensation looks to have a good leg. To me they need to keep the best accurate field goal kicker. Brown looked very good from forty or so in last year. But teams need that 55 yarder once in a while when the game is on the line. The two Canadian kickers from last year are good enough punters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    To me they need to keep the best accurate field goal kicker. Brown looked very good from forty or so in last year. But teams need that 55 yarder once in a while when the game is on the line. The two Canadian kickers from last year are good enough punters.
    To me, I would keep Medeiros over Pfeffer to be the punter. He was considerably more consistent. He can also handle kickoffs and any long (55 yards) FG attempts. If they do end up dressing 2 kickers, my bet is on Crapigna winning the FG job. Like Brown, very accurate, but also a bigger sample size, and being Canadian sure doesn't hurt.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think Crapigna might win the kicking job if he is 100% healthy. If he and Brown are equal, the National status will likely be the deciding factor. BTW, Holmes is LG not RG. Bomben and CVZ played the same side last year.

Of course, my bad. Bomben should be a fixture at RG.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7