Level

Sports radio personality Bob McCown leaving Sportsnet on Friday

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    A significant development as McCown is pretty much the only constant on that station since I started listening in 1999-2000 although I think Roger Lajoie is still there in some capacity.

I really hadn't followed the ratings for PTS, were they down significantly?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    He lost it for me about 15 years ago. There is something wrong with a sports radio host that says he won't interview athletes, because "Frankly, they bore me." A legend in his own mind, and his show sucked the day Jim Hunt passed away. Not to mention his crusade to bad mouth the Argos the day his buddies C&S turned out to be frauds.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    He lost it for me about 15 years ago. There is something wrong with a sports radio host that says he won't interview athletes, because "Frankly, they bore me." A legend in his own mind, and his show sucked the day Jim Hunt passed away. Not to mention his crusade to bad mouth the Argos the day his buddies C&S turned out to be frauds.
    Yeah, I feel no emotion about this because of his crappy treatment of the Argos for the past nine years. I enjoyed his show from about 2004 - okay maybe a bit before - to 2009 but haven't listened much since. I can't say that I will miss him.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    A significant development as McCown is pretty much the only constant on that station since I started listening in 1999-2000 although I think Roger Lajoie is still there in some capacity.

I really hadn't followed the ratings for PTS, were they down significantly?
    Last I saw, PTS ratings were down a bit and Overdrive was catching up (Overdrive destroys PTS on Podcast d/l though). My guess is the NHL tv contract blunder, lower PTS ratings, and McCown's contract had a lot to do with this move. It also wouldn't surprise me to hear that Tim & Sid takeover the slot, as they are most comparable to the Overdrive guys. I enjoy listening to Micallef, but Seixerio is a joke IMO.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Very true, plus the total reluctance to discuss almost any other type of sport aside from the Jays and Leafs and likely later, Raps, By that time I had long tuned out. At one site, a guy posted, why are we listening to a middleman telling us about American sports, we might as well listen directly to Jim Rome. That lit a light bulb for me. Also the regular cast of American commentators from US newspapers, who meant absolutely nothing to me.

I swear there is a niche for the rest of Canada, and coverage of other sports that get very little coverage, for someone to step in and get a fair amount of interest. It was always a real turnoff when they'd say things like "my Wolverines" when half those cats probably went to Ryerson.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    It also wouldn't surprise me to hear that Tim & Sid takeover the slot, as they are most comparable to the Overdrive guys. I enjoy listening to Micallef, but Seixerio is a joke IMO.
    Anything is better than the American worshipping fossils of PTS. It would be normal in any other country to try and build something at home that would get better with time and exposure but nooooo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is lots you can criticize the Argos over, but treating them like a punching bag is beyond the pale for me.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    What I can't understand is some people in Toronto seem to enjoy kicking something of their own when it is down. I just can't comprehend that mentality. And the goalposts have changed yet again because not only have the Rock and Argos championships been denied, with the Raps win, now TFC has been denied. Until the Raps, Toronto hasn't won any championships since the Jays in the 90s. Seriously WTF is wrong with some people there?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    GOOD

Looks good on the pompous assed PRICK.

Like Ang said above, when his mentors (Hunt, etc) were gone he became a "full of himself" moron.

Listening to him?, why? " If I want to listen to an A$$HOLE, I'll just fart"
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well stated, zero sympathy for this windbag, loved listening to Shakey Hunt though.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Anything is better than the American worshipping fossils of PTS. It would be normal in any other country to try and build something at home that would get better with time and exposure but nooooo.
    Nothing to do with "American worship" it's about "Major League" most people in Toronto and the media do not believe that the Argos are Major League.

If it was just about "American worship" then the Argos would be the number one topic since the Argos have more Americans on their roster than the Jays, Raptors and TFC combined.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    Nothing to do with "American worship" it's about "Major League" most people in Toronto and the media do not believe that the Argos are Major League.

If it was just about "American worship" then the Argos would be the number one topic since the Argos have more Americans on their roster than the Jays, Raptors and TFC combined.
    Please, try talking to some kid who might believe that BS. BTW, now that the Raps won, you know your TFC has now been relegated to bush league with the Argos and Rock (according to the Raps wannabes)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I enjoy listening to Micallef, but Seixerio is a joke IMO.
    I couldn't agree more.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    We all know that if the leafs ever win the 4 million at the parade will only be there to show their American worship.

The CFL is awesome but it's a very small league compared to the other major leagues. The Leafs are going to pay Mitch Marner 2+ years of the entire Argos salary cap. (let's not go into what B-Ball guys get) The interest is much bigger. It's also far more of an achievement to win a championship in a 32 team league than in a 9 team league.

About time some CFL fans just get on with it and not worry where the Argos fit in the sports life of the average Toronto fan. They have solid ownership and they fill the niche that they fill. And they are good for filling some dates in a venue which is financially important. They'll win their fair share of championships and the 50K who come out will have fun. But there will always be those that have to label people as "wannabees" to cover for their own diminished self esteem when it comes to their patriotism. A true Canadian can like whatever they like. That's what Juno beach was all about. Haters be just haters.

Now as for Bob. He did change after Shakey passed. He also got real butthurt when the truth was exposed about J&S. But one also has to look at the ads they ran for his show the last few years where he admits he's playing a character to pump up ratings. From that day I never listened to what he was saying because he admitted none of it can be seen as his truth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Very true, plus the total reluctance to discuss almost any other type of sport aside from the Jays and Leafs and likely later, Raps, By that time I had long tuned out. At one site, a guy posted, why are we listening to a middleman telling us about American sports, we might as well listen directly to Jim Rome. That lit a light bulb for me. Also the regular cast of American commentators from US newspapers, who meant absolutely nothing to me.

I swear there is a niche for the rest of Canada, and coverage of other sports that get very little coverage, for someone to step in and get a fair amount of interest. It was always a real turnoff when they'd say things like "my Wolverines" when half those cats probably went to Ryerson.
    I have noticed that many in the Toronto sports media like to trumpet their connections to those in the US media, who most Canadians know little to nothing about. McCown certainly did this as much as anyone. Why have someone from the Winnipeg Free Press when you can get a "world class" reporter from USA Today?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force