Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I wouldn't put any blame based on the coaching cap. Hires like Chamblin and Chap were made after it was implemented so there should be a waiver based on bad decisions.

With 6 out of 9 teams making the playoffs and there seems to be 4 pretty bad teams this year, the season is not lost and the onus is on this staff to turn things around with the resources they have. A knee jerk reaction from MLSE right now will make things worse IMO.

Popp's contract is up after this season so there won't be a penlaty in making a change in the off season. I'm not sure if Manning is the right person to oversee this. Changes need to come higher up too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I thought the Argos played the Bombers pretty even tonight on both offence and defence. Full blame IMO for the loss goes on special teams. When you give up essentially two kick return touchdowns in the first five minutes you are already in deep trouble. But the specials never improved. Bombers had over 350 yards in kick returns which is ridiculous. And our kicking game was gawdawful, and so was our return game. I’ve never seen worse specials on an Argonaut team.

But other than that I see continued improvement on both offence and defence, and I remain optimistic that things will get turned around if they can do something about the special teams.
    Argos looked marginally better in garbage time when Winnipeg was already in celebration mode (probably around halftime), once the Argos scored the Bombers then decided to squash them like a bug.
    Sadly it looked like a community college team against a well run professional football team last night which in itself is incredibly humiliating.
    My biggest concern moving forward is the players may have already checked out on this coaching staff 4 games into the season which in itself has to be some kind of CFL record👎
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    The uniforms looked good.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I wouldn't put any blame based on the coaching cap. Hires like Chamblin and Chap were made after it was implemented so there should be a waiver based on bad decisions.
    Cap might have no effect this season but after this season (or even during the season) when changes must be made to coaching staff, the stupid cap interferes with hiring potential new staff, especially with guaranteed contracts. But MLSE should just take the hit and pay the fine.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have not been a particular supporter of MBT in the past but must admit I was impressed with his composure, determination and solid performance last night.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

With 6 out of 9 teams making the playoffs and there seems to be 4 pretty bad teams this year, the season is not lost and the onus is on this staff to turn things around with the resources they have. A knee jerk reaction from MLSE right now will make things worse IMO.

Popp's contract is up after this season so there won't be a penlaty in making a change in the off season. I'm not sure if Manning is the right person to oversee this. Changes need to come higher up too.
    Popp has certainly put his stamp on this team and suspect he is not finished. Priority seems to have been to get rid of as many Barker players as he can. Unfortunately most were good players. Who will he get rid of next....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I have not been a particular supporter of MBT in the past but must admit I was impressed with his composure, determination and solid performance last night.
    Definitely impressed with his composure and work ethic. It truly is what you want to see out of your starting QB. My only issue with his performance yesterday was the multiple throws that came up short of the receivers that either bounced before they got there or the receivers had to adjust by coming backwards or bending awkwardly to catch it. I'm pretty sure SJ Green would've scored if it hit him in stride but instead was slowed by the throw and then the Argos failed to score from 1st and goal. That being said, he did much more than Nichols did and had his best game of his career and yet the Argos were no where close to winning.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post

And one other sober thought - there will be no fresh talent coming in for a while. NFL camps are about to open. There won’t be many players available until cuts are made and players are convinced that they can’t latch on with other NFL clubs. How long will that take........until September? End of September? Later than that? By that time those players won’t have any impact for this season and the Argos May be 0-for season by then.
    The CFL stopped doing the Bob O'Billovich airlifts around the turn of the century.You might get the odd CFL vet cut(Derel Walker-2017) whose motivated to get a salary but that is about it.Players/Agents would rather exhaust options waiting for a NFL practice roster spot nowadays.

The XFL is also going to begin signing players at the end of the month which only makes it more difficult for the current staff.They also will be going hard after NFL cuts in September for their player allocation draft.They have over 450 roster spots to fill for their 2020 season.

The Argos need to go with the team they have at the moment.I would be curious to see if Vince Magri/John Murphy leaves for another opportunity due to the current situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With the football ops cap the way it is the only option that I see to rectify the coaching situation is to reassign personnel already on the payroll. For example, and I am not advocating this, Popp takes over for Chamblin and the waterboy takes over special teams. I think I would be good with that second one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Not sure if Eiben can somehow be reassigned with STC duites while firing both MacDiarmid and Jackson. Must admit watching MBT throwing bombs to both Edwards and to....finally Walker was very enjoyable. However too many pre snap penalties, fumbles and confusion on offense hindered any type of improbable comeback.
    I get the feeling each week one problem will be rectified but something else will kill any chance for victory.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    With the football ops cap the way it is the only option that I see to rectify the coaching situation is to reassign personnel already on the payroll. For example, and I am not advocating this, Popp takes over for Chamblin and the waterboy takes over special teams. I think I would be good with that second one.
    LOL, or play him. Bobby Boucher!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    My only issue with his performance yesterday was the multiple throws that came up short of the receivers that either bounced before they got there or the receivers had to adjust by coming backwards or bending awkwardly to catch it. I'm pretty sure SJ Green would've scored if it hit him in stride but instead was slowed by the throw and then the Argos failed to score from 1st and goal.
    A few of us were saying that all last season. He constantly under throws and is inaccurate on the deep passes. One reason we rarely (never?) see the corner routes that we want so much. Everything else is great though and he could very well be the best backup in the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    A few of us were saying that all last season. He constantly under throws and is inaccurate on the deep passes. One reason we rarely (never?) see the corner routes that we want so much. Everything else is great though and he could very well be the best backup in the league.
    His greatest strength is that he doesn't get flummoxed, no matter the situation. His weakness is, as you say, under throwing and in accuracy on his long passes. He was better yesterday in his long throws but that was partly because several of these tosses were to wide open receivers who he didn't have to thread the needle for.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I agree with this.

My overall takes after a weekend to digest:

Laing and Awe were both outstanding in this game. Deserving of serious recognition.
    Special teams was a joke. From the opening kickoff. Who the hell puts any defensive end, let alone a rookie on outside contain? AS soon as Lucky made his first inside move and Robbie Smith bit, there was no chance for Smith to recover. Dumb, dumb, dumb coaching decision. You need someone with speed and quickness on contain, someone with the ability to change directions quickly.
    MBT was very good, and I know there are a lot of people that don't want to hear that. He had 4 drive killing drops (2 by Noel--1 which turned into an INT-- and 2 by Edwards), or I believe the Argos would have scored over 30 points, and likely would have only been down by 10 or 14 points heading into the 4th, rather than 21.
    I have been complaining about a lack of a wide screen game all year. They threw one to Walker, who made the DB miss the tackle attempt and went for a good gain. This stuff slows down opposing pass rushes. Argos need to do more of it.
    I'm still of the belief the Argos need to get a bigger DE to play opposite Lemon when he's in the line-up or Freddie Bishop this past week. Having rush end type DE's on both sides is not ideal. You need more of a physical presence on the short side of the field. That's why Lemon and Victor Butler were great together.
    Ian Wild was ok this week, but I would love to see Onyeka or Kwemo get a shot to replace him at weak side. I think an injection of youth and athleticism would do wonders there.
    Time to give Dowling a shot at boundary corner. Covington is young, but I like a bigger corner on the short side similar to Patrick Watkins, Delvin Breaux and Tommy Campbell.
    I know I'm the eternal optimist, but I thought they played with the Bombers for the most part of the game. They just have to stop giving up the big play, 4 of which was the difference in the game Friday night.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I keep hearing that Winnipeg let their foot off the gas in the 2nd half. I don't buy it. The Argos could have made a game of it not for another end zone int and that poor attempt of short yardage where Winnipeg stuffed them at the 1. Special Teams killed us early on, that was just too much to overcome.

Calgary looked beatable Saturday night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I keep hearing that Winnipeg let their foot off the gas in the 2nd half. I don't buy it. The Argos could have made a game of it not for another end zone int and that poor attempt of short yardage where Winnipeg stuffed them at the 1. Special Teams killed us early on, that was just too much to overcome.

Calgary looked beatable Saturday night.
    I agree. Winnipeg definitely did not let up. They continued trying to throw deep and as a result, Nichols took a bit of a beating.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree. Winnipeg definitely did not let up. They continued trying to throw deep and as a result, Nichols took a bit of a beating.
    Inside the lines, and inside game time is all that matter. This talk of Winnipeg letting up is pure conjecture. We judge what we see and I saw a team that didn't quit but suffered from poor coaching and giant mental lapses. When a team loses by that much but still has some potential player of the week nods, you know that this inequity must be addressed. And in short order. Still hope. But the water is rising.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe MBT can become one of the better back ups in the game. He can win you a game, but his passing doesn't inspire the receiving core or threaten the defense enough to be a starter, overall
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level