Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Well I just watched the replay and things didn't look any better than the live performance last night. Jamal Campbell at RT wasn't outstanding by any means and did get beat a few times, but IMO he didn't look any worse than anybody else they have trotted out there this year. He is at the stage where he has got to play to get better as they can't hit in practice anymore. By my count Holmes got beat more than anybody else on the OLine, and what's with this Line not being able get off the ball on 3 and 1 or the goal line. They have the size but they're getting stood up. Edmonton line comes off low and was driving the Argo DLine back a couple of yards.
    Speaking of the Edmonton OLine (for by own scouting confidence) lol, I thought Saxelid had a strong game at LT for them. Showed what I saw of him at UNLV. He's got the foot work and long arms and finesse needed to be a good pass blocker. He's a starting Tackle in this League IMO. We could have had him, but Popp decided on an over rated over weight guy who may be able to play Guard eventually. Hope he isn't another St. John who the Riders got stung on a few years ago.
    Like Will and PW mentioned I too was mystified by some of the defensive changes. Was the HC/DC trying to the confuse Edmonton by moving guys around? If so it didn't work. Darby to me would have been the best guy to cover Ellingson. We know Gabriel can play safety but if they really wanted him at OLB, Awe IMO would make a great Safety. Dowling has size and speed you need on the corner these days, so I wouldn't give up on him just yet, but got caught flat footed and schooled to often by Ellingson for my liking. Ford looked lost at DB.
    We all know about the DLine so I hope Jim has been down scouting the NFL Camps.
    Poor old McBeth he sure takes a beating. I thought on that last run he would end up on the 6 game for sure but he bounced right up. He's got a lot for what you want in a QB, except for a few little things like spotting open receivers, throwing the ball accurately and on time, not a great touch on the deep throws, lack of consistency. I guess that's enough because I do like the guy. If the Argo had a dominant offensive line with George Reed and Mike Pringle in the back field he could probably be successful, but that's a pipe dream.

The tall for heads at MLSE have been quiet publicly but you have to wonder if what's saving Jim Popp and Chamblin right now is Randy's imposed salary cap on Football Operations. This Team has looked out Coached and unprepared since day one. There is proven talent on this team, they just need a few KEY players and some direction. IMO

Agreed, a few KEY players can change the fortune of this (and any team) in the CFL. Look at Vernon Adams Jr. in Montreal, and Cody Fajardo in Regina.

At this time, however, some of this teams personnel decisions have been lost on me. I'm just not getting it. And I am not certain that Corey Chamblin is anything more than a great Defensive Coach. We've seen this before (Rich Stubler) and there's no shame in it.

I see changes coming, but I don't see any rush. I also don't really trust Manning to make the required direction change. We need John Hufnagel-like stability here, but I can't see it. We need a football program that is the envy of the league. Can't see that either.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    ^
    Great comparison to Stubler. I think Chamblin would be fine only as the Argos D coach, as they have played well at times. The questionable strategies like punting on 3rd and half/yard, challenging 2 times in the first quarter, are all rookie-like Head Coach mistakes that this team can’t afford.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Some of Chamblin's head coaching decisions (like when to punt and when to challenge) have been hard to fathom, but so have some of his defensive coaching decisions (like when to use man coverage, and personnel deployment in general). It's impossible to know if he'd be more effective as just the DC, but at this point I am having trouble giving him a passing grade on that part of his portfolio.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    ^
    Great comparison to Stubler. I think Chamblin would be fine only as the Argos D coach, as they have played well at times. The questionable strategies like punting on 3rd and half/yard, challenging 2 times in the first quarter, are all rookie-like Head Coach mistakes that this team can’t afford.
    I remember when Scott Milanovich was here and Mike O'Shea was the special team Coach. Just from watching it seemed that Mike O'Shea seemed to be responsible for helping Scott keep track of such things like 3rd and short distance etc. Maybe that is something that Cory could or should use as he has the DC responsibility to think of beside calling the shots as HC. Those decisions have to be made quickly in the CFL.
    That 3rd and 2 feet at mid field punt was a puzzler.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I remember when Scott Milanovich was here and Mike O'Shea was the special team Coach. Just from watching it seemed that Mike O'Shea seemed to be responsible for helping Scott keep track of such things like 3rd and short distance etc. Maybe that is something that Cory could or should use as he has the DC responsibility to think of beside calling the shots as HC. Those decisions have to be made quickly in the CFL.
    That 3rd and 2 feet at mid field punt was a puzzler.
    Very right. I got to know O'Shea a little bit in the early 2000's and he told me personally that the Coaches looked to him for Canadian rule book intricacies. He was the eyes on the field for sure and he took a lot of pride in his encyclopedic knowledge of Canadian ball. That's why he made such a natural ST's coach, and why he's the guy who knows the trick plays. He and JJ (and later Craw-daddy) were awesome in keeping the teams guys inline and online.

I'd love to see Osh come back to Toronto. I'd offer him Coach & future GM to make it happen. He's a damn good coach and could be just as good as a GM someday.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post

I'd love to see Osh come back to Toronto. I'd offer him Coach & future GM to make it happen. He's a damn good coach and could be just as good as a GM someday.
    I can see this happening. I'm sure he still bleeds double blue and would love to be the coach here that turns things around.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I can see this happening. I'm sure he still bleeds double blue and would love to be the coach here that turns things around.
    Wouldn’t complain if this happened, I think he would assemble a very good coaching staff as well.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Very right. I got to know O'Shea a little bit in the early 2000's and he told me personally that the Coaches looked to him for Canadian rule book intricacies. He was the eyes on the field for sure and he took a lot of pride in his encyclopedic knowledge of Canadian ball. That's why he made such a natural ST's coach, and why he's the guy who knows the trick plays. He and JJ (and later Craw-daddy) were awesome in keeping the teams guys inline and online.

Always hoped that he'd be our HC at some point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level

I was thinking the other day about who would be a good fit for the Argos if MLSE decide to change things up. Mike was the first guy I thought of. But you are right it would probably have to be a dual role of GM and HC. I think he is under contract for another year or two.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Some of Chamblin's head coaching decisions (like when to punt and when to challenge) have been hard to fathom, but so have some of his defensive coaching decisions (like when to use man coverage, and personnel deployment in general). It's impossible to know if he'd be more effective as just the DC, but at this point I am having trouble giving him a passing grade on that part of his portfolio.
    He needs to go at the end of the season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I ranted and raved on this topic on the Fancast this week!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022