Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The team hasn't given up on their coach. At least that's what it looks like. The defense, especially the line were great in the first half. I don't know if the players like playing for Chamblin and if this will dictate whether Chamblin will be back or not.
    If the team has quit on him they would not have played great in the 1st half either.

The line didn't look as good in the 2nd half because Evans went from a 5 step drop to a 3 step drop and had the ball gone a lot faster. The change to more crossing routes also helped a ton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I would bet my season's tickets that no CFL team will pay Mike Reilly money to a QB fresh out of college.
    I would also bet Paul's season's tickets that no CFL team will pay Mike Reilly money to a QB fresh out of college.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    I would also bet Paul's season's tickets that no CFL team will pay Mike Reilly money to a QB fresh out of college.
    And the alternative is?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    And the alternative is?
    Any of the CFL free agent QBs, for starters. Which, by the way, is most of the current QBs in the league.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Any of the CFL free agent QBs, for starters. Which, by the way, is most of the current QBs in the league.
    Well Mitchell, Reilly and Harris are signed. Fajardo will reup in Saskatchewan. Masoli will re sign in Hamilton unless he goes down South with June Jones. Who else is going to make the casual fan rush out and buy season tickets. Nichols? Don't think so. Fans like you and I will still buy our tickets, but that's not good enough. Not everybody will hold their nose and renew. Especially if MBT is brought back as the starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos must prepare for 2020 because this season is toast:

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ason-is-toast/

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I read that article myself earlier in the day -- it isn't really anything beyond any of the feelings that have been expressed by many of us in this thread.

It was interesting that Frank left Chamblin alone while targeting Popp and Manning.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well Mitchell, Reilly and Harris are signed. Fajardo will reup in Saskatchewan. Masoli will re sign in Hamilton unless he goes down South with June Jones. Who else is going to make the casual fan rush out and buy season tickets. Nichols? Don't think so. Fans like you and I will still buy our tickets, but that's not good enough. Not everybody will hold their nose and renew. Especially if MBT is brought back as the starter.
    Actually we don't have any idea where Fajardo and Masoli will be next year. Why wouldn't both guys (and other free agents) test the market? And why wouldn't Hamilton consider putting their eggs in Evans' basket instead of Masoli's? Regardless, I see no chance of the Argos or any other team throwing upwards of $600k at any QB coming straight out of college. The chances of a rookie QB coming in and earning that kind of money are virtually zero. And what evidence is there that casual fans would line up to buy tickets to see Nathan Rourke or any other unknown commodity?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Good ole Frank, telling it like it is. Lol But I would sure hate to see top players like Walker and Laing traded, their type are too hard to find. This is the CFL where going from worse to first is possible with a couple of key players. Jim Popp would know that his QB's were not up to snuff going into this season and why he went so hard after Bo Mitchell. Put a healthy Bo on this team and we're talking a different story. He's sees the field, he gets rid of the ball quickly, he throws accurately where only the receiver can catch the ball, all things that MBT doesn't do consistently. Good QB's do those things.
    Trade your older vets like a S. J. Green, maybe a Tyler Holmes if there is a return but this is not an old team. Most people seem to thing Wilder is done with the Argos and maybe he wants to leave. I think he could replace S.J. Green as a great reliable receiver. The guy has great hands and is a bull to bring down especially downfield against those smaller DB's. He also has something needed in Toronto, he has become kind of a known face of the franchise.
    I do agree with Frank on playing the kids a bit down the stretch and see what they can do. Getting back to the title, if Popp goes than they have to let Chamblin go as well I would think. But I believe Popp's contract is up while Chamblin has two more years. Kind of a dilemma for Manning. IMO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Big mistake by GM Popp going all or nothing in the BLM bidding war. At the end of the day the team went downhill from a 4 -14 team in 2018.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Actually we don't have any idea where Fajardo and Masoli will be next year. Why wouldn't both guys (and other free agents) test the market? And why wouldn't Hamilton consider putting their eggs in Evans' basket instead of Masoli's? Regardless, I see no chance of the Argos or any other team throwing upwards of $600k at any QB coming straight out of college. The chances of a rookie QB coming in and earning that kind of money are virtually zero. And what evidence is there that casual fans would line up to buy tickets to see Nathan Rourke or any other unknown commodity?
    Well you have your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I have a pretty good idea if Fajardo and Masoli are in the CFL next year it will be with their respective teams. Unless he gets injured early Nathan Rourke isn't going to be an unknown commodity this fall. NCAA stars are much more known commodities than just about every star in the CFL up here, especially with the younger generation. You know, the ones the CFL are trying to attract.
    I hope Frank does a big piece in the Sun sometime this Fall on Nathan Rourke.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well you have your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I have a pretty good idea if Fajardo and Masoli are in the CFL next year it will be with their respective teams. Unless he gets injured early Nathan Rourke isn't going to be an unknown commodity this fall. NCAA stars are much more known commodities than just about every star in the CFL up here, especially with the younger generation. You know, the ones the CFL are trying to attract.
    I hope Frank does a big piece in the Sun sometime this Fall on Nathan Rourke.
    Every QB in U.S. college ball is an unknown commodity when it comes to succeeding in the CFL. How many have come up here straight out of college and started and played well? When was the last time it happened? If you seriously expect Nathan Rourke to (a) be paid $700k next season by a CFL team and (b) have immediate success in the CFL, then yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Where do you start with fixing the Argos?

With a 5 - 23 record over the last two years there remains questions from top to bottom with this organization. Can President Manning concurrently run two professional teams successfully? Has GM Popp brought in the necessary talent to succeed. Is there a successful CFL quarterback on the team? Is HC Chamberlin the coach to develop a new CFL QB? Can the team stick with HC Chamberlin given his recent HC record? Where exactly do this teams problems lie? Everywhere? Player personnel? Coaching? At the top?

Until someone figures out the source of the problem it’s going to be hard to fix it.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Where do you start with fixing the Argos?

With a 5 - 23 record over the last two years there remains questions from top to bottom with this organization. Can President Manning concurrently run two professional teams successfully? Has GM Popp brought in the necessary talent to succeed. Is there a successful CFL quarterback on the team? Is HC Chamberlin the coach to develop a new CFL QB? Can the team stick with HC Chamberlin given his recent HC record? Where exactly do this teams problems lie? Everywhere? Player personnel? Coaching? At the top?

Until someone figures out the source of the problem it’s going to be hard to fix it.
    I think you just laid out the issues. Montreal seems to have reversed direction, fired the GM and Coach and now have a young coach in there that you can build from. They seem solid right now. I am sure we can do it also. Fans will want changes so lets see what happens.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Every QB in U.S. college ball is an unknown commodity when it comes to succeeding in the CFL. How many have come up here straight out of college and started and played well? When was the last time it happened? If you seriously expect Nathan Rourke to (a) be paid $700k next season by a CFL team and (b) have immediate success in the CFL, then yes, you are entitled to your opinion.
    Coming from you, I take that as a compliment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    I think you just laid out the issues. Montreal seems to have reversed direction, fired the GM and Coach and now have a young coach in there that you can build from. They seem solid right now. I am sure we can do it also. Fans will want changes so lets see what happens.
    Do you trust that our current president has the CFL knowledge to hire the right GM? I certainly don't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good ole Frank, telling it like it is. Lol But I would sure hate to see top players like Walker and Laing traded, their type are too hard to find. This is the CFL where going from worse to first is possible with a couple of key players. Jim Popp would know that his QB's were not up to snuff going into this season and why he went so hard after Bo Mitchell. Put a healthy Bo on this team and we're talking a different story. He's sees the field, he gets rid of the ball quickly, he throws accurately where only the receiver can catch the ball, all things that MBT doesn't do consistently. Good QB's do those things.
    Trade your older vets like a S. J. Green, maybe a Tyler Holmes if there is a return but this is not an old team. Most people seem to thing Wilder is done with the Argos and maybe he wants to leave. I think he could replace S.J. Green as a great reliable receiver. The guy has great hands and is a bull to bring down especially downfield against those smaller DB's. He also has something needed in Toronto, he has become kind of a known face of the franchise.
    I do agree with Frank on playing the kids a bit down the stretch and see what they can do. Getting back to the title, if Popp goes than they have to let Chamblin go as well I would think. But I believe Popp's contract is up while Chamblin has two more years. Kind of a dilemma for Manning. IMO
    Putting a healthy Bo Levi on the Argos roster at $700k+ would have weakened the roster even more at other positions which is the last thing a team thin on talent needs.
    I think Chamblin signed a two year deal so he has only one year left.
    Several free agent QB’s will be available this off season, hopefully the Argos can lure one of them to sign.
    I’d give MBT one more start against Ottawa, if they lose then you have seven games to get a look at the other QB’s.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Putting a healthy Bo Levi on the Argos roster at $700k+ would have weakened the roster even more at other positions which is the last thing a team thin on talent needs.
    I think Chamblin signed a two year deal so he has only one year left.
    Several free agent QB’s will be available this off season, hopefully the Argos can lure one of them to sign.
    I’d give MBT one more start against Ottawa, if they lose then you have seven games to get a look at the other QB’s.
    How much weaker could the team be?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Looks like that's a no:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/popp-sa...assets~1769175

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Teams don't concede until/unless they get mathematically eliminated. B.C. made it back from 0-5. Hamilton turned 0-8 into a respectable finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I read that article myself earlier in the day -- it isn't really anything beyond any of the feelings that have been expressed by many of us in this thread.

It was interesting that Frank left Chamblin alone while targeting Popp and Manning.
    Frank loves Chamblin, probably because he doesn't roll his eyes at Frank's dumb questions, unlike Milanovich and Trestman. Frank couldn't hide his hatred for Trestman in his training camp columns.