Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yeah, I see now it is reported to be his decision. I wonder if the Redblacks would prevent him from coaching elsewhere, assuming he had another year on his contract in Ottawa. Edm seems the most likely destination for him, assuming Maas gets whacked.
    I think it’s as close to 100% as possible he will be reunited with the rest of his team out in Edmonton next season
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yeah, I see now it is reported to be his decision. I wonder if the Redblacks would prevent him from coaching elsewhere, assuming he had another year on his contract in Ottawa. Edm seems the most likely destination for him, assuming Maas gets whacked.

Nope, paid out and free to roam. OSEG is a classy group and appreciated Rick's forthright passion and honesty.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Nope, paid out and free to roam. OSEG is a classy group and appreciated Rick's forthright passion and honesty.
    Good on them, that type of policy will serve them well in the future.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think it’s as close to 100% as possible he will be reunited with the rest of his team out in Edmonton next season

LOL - he would be a fit with all his guys and for a team his Dad was so influential with.

CFL GOB way = re-use, recycle; same old.

Wonder which GOB reclamation project Ottawa will turn to as their next HC; (surely not Joe Paopao - LOL).

Desjardins should have been booted way out of town along with Campbell IMO - brutally bad season & horrible football team = hit the road jack for both GM & HC .

Maybe Ottawa can still hire a GM that knows football talent and retains some key players - both the import side and Canadian football - and has a lot more respêct for the latter than Desjardins does.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    I can't help but wonder if Elinzondo and the XFL hadn't sandbagged the Red Blacks so late in the off season Ottawa would not be in this current situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I can't help but wonder if Elinzondo and the XFL hadn't sandbagged the Red Blacks so late in the off season Ottawa would not be in this current situation.
    Sounds like a lot of dysfunction behind the scenes in Ottawa, first of all the RedBlacks blocked Elizondo from interviewing in Saskatchewan in January which was a shortsighted and foolish move so I don’t blame him for waving the middle finger at them and joining Trestman in the XFL! Secondly as OC I wouldn’t be impressed if the organization (Desjardins in particular) allowed offensive stars such as Harris, Powell, Ellingson to escape via free agency which would have made his job way more difficult in 2019.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Sounds like a lot of dysfunction behind the scenes in Ottawa, first of all the RedBlacks blocked Elizondo from interviewing in Saskatchewan in January which was a shortsighted and foolish move so I don’t blame him for waving the middle finger at them and joining Trestman in the XFL! Secondly as OC I wouldn’t be impressed if the organization (Desjardins in particular) allowed offensive stars such as Harris, Powell, Ellingson to escape via free agency which would have made his job way more difficult in 2019.
    TBH I understood why Ottawa refused to let Elindondo interview for that Riders job. It was late in the off season and the team had to get their playbook together too. I thought it was a crap way for Elinzondo to treat the team that allowed him to grow as an OC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I guess because Ott is paying him, they have to account for it in the mgmt. cap?

https://twitter.com/TimCBaines/statu...79298491854848
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    TBH I understood why Ottawa refused to let Elindondo interview for that Riders job. It was late in the off season and the team had to get their playbook together too. I thought it was a crap way for Elinzondo to treat the team that allowed him to grow as an OC.
    They refused to let him interview for the Riders job in January, not late at all.
    Best to let him interview rather than risk a disgruntled employee or worse have him leave as he did in April.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    They refused to let him interview for the Riders job in January, not late at all.
    Best to let him interview rather than risk a disgruntled employee or worse have him leave as he did in April.
    I have to disagree with this. By late January there were no capable, proven replacements available, which is why they ended up going with OC by committee. I think it's reasonable for teams to give assistants a window to look elsewhere, but mid-Jan is a more than reasonable time for the window to be shut. Elizondo was within his rights to quit when he did, as was Chris Jones, but that doesn't mean other teams have to allow their own staffs to get weakened when coaches walk away unexpectedly in the off-season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interesting read of Chris O’Leary’s piece today suggests that the Argos did not use their mulligan re: the coaches cap on Trestman last year since it happened before the cap was actually in place, therefore they can use it on Chamblin and not have their hands tied in finding a new staff. That’s should make putting a staff in place much easier.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/04/oleary...-playoff-team/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have to disagree with this. By late January there were no capable, proven replacements available, which is why they ended up going with OC by committee. I think it's reasonable for teams to give assistants a window to look elsewhere, but mid-Jan is a more than reasonable time for the window to be shut. Elizondo was within his rights to quit when he did, as was Chris Jones, but that doesn't mean other teams have to allow their own staffs to get weakened when coaches walk away unexpectedly in the off-season.
    For sure teams are under no obligation to allow their coaches to interview in January.
    However let’s say Ottawa allows Elizondo to interview for the Riders job in January and he doesn’t get the job (which was a distinct possibility) chances are he could have stayed in Ottawa, the big difference in this scenario was Elizondo having the XFL option at his disposal and he used it.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interesting read of Chris O’Leary’s piece today suggests that the Argos did not use their mulligan re: the coaches cap on Trestman last year since it happened before the cap was actually in place, therefore they can use it on Chamblin and not have their hands tied in finding a new staff. That’s should make putting a staff in place much easier.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/04/oleary...-playoff-team/
    This is very good news, any incoming coach will want to put together his own staff.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    This is very good news, any incoming coach will want to put together his own staff.
    That would be the case regardless as none of the assistants are under contract. That will be the norm going forward with this ridiculous cap. Good coaches will be looking at other jobs which provide more security. I think a lot will be looking towards NCAA gigs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    For sure teams are under no obligation to allow their coaches to interview in January.
    However let’s say Ottawa allows Elizondo to interview for the Riders job in January and he doesn’t get the job (which was a distinct possibility) chances are he could have stayed in Ottawa, the big difference in this scenario was Elizondo having the XFL option at his disposal and he used it.
    If the Redblacks knew he was a flight risk to the XFL, it probably would have made sense to let him interview in Regina and hope he didn't get the job but would be grateful to the org for letting him try. But I suspect they had no inkling he could be poached by another league, and if that were the case, IMO it made sense to say No at that point. Saying Yes would have meant a chance (maybe 50/50) of losing him; saying No in theory meant that worst-case scenario, they would not lose him until after the 2019 season. Weighing those odds, and not realizing the XFL might scoop him, I'd likely have done what they did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The RedBlacks might have not have had all kinds of choices in terms of same old. recycled CFL GOBs to hire as their OC at that time; if you really believe same old, standard look, simpleton offence is the only way for a CFL team, then maybe they were stuck hiring a neophyte (in terms of coaching experience - but qualifies as an American who played in the CFL for some time) coach like Winston October AND bringing in a same old, limited hack like Paopao to run their offence. Laughable, IMO, but what they hey - believe in same old, recycled thinking as the only way in football, if you wish.

IMO - a veteran local (U Sports or even Junior or HS ball) offensive coach & mind who knows Canadian football coulda done 10x better than a clown act like October & Paopâo with Campbell whispering to them. Mind you, they might fail at relating to or sucking up to the American players on the offence or in running basic, simple standard CFL offences, but, coaches should be the boss - in terms of roster and having a sharp or innovative offence & play-book. Just IMO of course. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I read somewhere that Ottawa ownership tightened up the purse-strings during the off-season. If true, that would explain why they lost most of their key free agents.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That would be the case regardless as none of the assistants are under contract. That will be the norm going forward with this ridiculous cap. Good coaches will be looking at other jobs which provide more security. I think a lot will be looking towards NCAA gigs.
    Musical chairs with the players contract rules now add the coaches to the mix, Mickey Mouse!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I read somewhere that Ottawa ownership tightened up the purse-strings during the off-season. If true, that would explain why they lost most of their key free agents.
    That worked out well for them!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    That worked out well for them!
    I am not a GM of a pro football team but I would think you have to have a plan and you have to play the free agent market when appropriate. Redblacks pretty good for the last 5 years up until this year. Don't know what happened to them.