Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I read somewhere that Ottawa ownership tightened up the purse-strings during the off-season. If true, that would explain why they lost most of their key free agents.
    Not sure I understand that, does that mean they are well below the salary cap!! thought most teams operate near the cap!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The Lions just dumped Claybrooks. Personally I would have given him one more chance as they did get better as the year went on as evident from a 55-8 thrashing of you know who and competitive games down the stretch. Are any teams looking for a good DC? I mean besides us.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    The Lions just dumped Claybrooks. Personally I would have given him one more chance as they did get better as the year went on as evident from a 55-8 thrashing of you know who and competitive games down the stretch. Are any teams looking for a good DC? I mean besides us.
    I wouldn’t look too much into the 55-8 game. James Franklin starts this season resulted in losses of 50, 25, 25 and 48 points.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    You would think if Claybrooks was sacked having a better record, logic says how Chamblin cannot survive?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I doubt Pinball and Manning would make their decision based on the optics of keeping a coach with a worse record than one who got fired. Every situation needs to be considered based on its own circumstances. The decision on CC should be based on all important factors, with the won-lost record being just one of them. And imo when all factors are considered, the decision points strongly to termination.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    this time we need to move on keeping or firing the coach after Grey Cup at the latest. Can't leave it too late this time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The West semi I just watched is the best games that I can remember involving a 2 QB system since the 70's, when Barton & Theismann did it for us in what 1971.
    Paul Lapolice is a genius as the OC in the way he used Collaros for the pass and Streveller to run.
    I cannot remember the last time on the same team that one QB lead in the passing and the other in running.
    I would definitely make a run for Lapo as our HC instead of O'Shea.
    He is a visionary, has his QB's playing exciting and systems within their capabilities.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    this time we need to move on keeping or firing the coach after Grey Cup at the latest. Can't leave it too late this time.
    Argos fired Trestman before you could blink, and that turned out badly.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ottawa used both Clements and Holloway in some games between 1975 and '78, and at times it was a change-of-pace/style approach. Edm used the two-QB system fairly regularly from 1978 to 1980, initially with Wilkinson starting and Moon coming in for some action, then the reverse. By 1981 Moon saw the lion's share of playing time, IIRC, altho Wilkie came into the 1981 Grey Cup. The Argos had two proven QBs in Holloway and Barnes, but generally did not use them in the same game except in the case of injury, altho Barnes of course relieved Holloway in the 1983 Grey Cup. Since then, can't think of any actual regular two-QB approaches. I'd hesitate to declare LaPolice a genius based on one game with a two-QB system. Let's see if they get past Sask and then Ham before the coronation.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Ottawa used both Clements and Holloway in some games between 1975 and '78, and at times it was a change-of-pace/style approach. Edm used the two-QB system fairly regularly from 1978 to 1980, initially with Wilkinson starting and Moon coming in for some action, then the reverse. By 1981 Moon saw the lion's share of playing time, IIRC, altho Wilkie came into the 1981 Grey Cup. The Argos had two proven QBs in Holloway and Barnes, but generally did not use them in the same game except in the case of injury, altho Barnes of course relieved Holloway in the 1983 Grey Cup. Since then, can't think of any actual regular two-QB approaches. I'd hesitate to declare LaPolice a genius based on one game with a two-QB system. Let's see if they get past Sask and then Ham before the coronation.
    every team needs to use a 2 QB system. The vet takes the majority of reps but the younger is given a chance. This way there are 18 potential QB in the league that can play at this level. Didn't every QB go down this year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I suspect most of the candidates they are interested in are still involved in the playoffs, best to take their time, think it through properly and make the right hire this time.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    every team needs to use a 2 QB system. The vet takes the majority of reps but the younger is given a chance. This way there are 18 potential QB in the league that can play at this level. Didn't every QB go down this year?
    Every team needs a capable No. 2 who can step in when (not if) the starter gets hurt, as this year indeed proved. But the chances of every team (or any team) regularly using a two-QB system any time soon are zero, IMO. There are too many factors working against that possibility, including restrictions on practice time that make it difficult (if not impossible) to get enough reps for more than one QB, the risk of QB controversies flaring up among fans and/or in the locker room, and a general belief among football coaches at virtually every level that teams need a definitive individual leader at the position.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Argos fired Trestman before you could blink, and that turned out badly.
    and as it turns out Trestman was right about a lot of things, his undoing might have been the performance of the Defense and his unwillingness to remove Archer!

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=paulwoods13;146730]Ottawa used both Clements and Holloway in some games between 1975 and '78, and at times it was a change-of-pace/style approach. Edm used the two-QB system fairly regularly from 1978 to 1980, initially with Wilkinson starting and Moon coming in for some action, then the reverse. By 1981 Moon saw the lion's share of playing time, IIRC, altho Wilkie came into the 1981 Grey Cup. The Argos had two proven QBs in Holloway and Barnes, but generally did not use them in the same game except in the case of injury, altho Barnes of course relieved Holloway in the 1983 Grey Cup. Since then, can't think of any actual regular two-QB approaches. I'd hesitate to declare LaPolice a genius based on one game with a two-QB system. Let's see if they get past Sask and then Ham before the coronation.[/QUOTE

Wilkinson used to come up to the broadcast booth in Edmonton a couple of hours before a game. He and Pete Martin were pals from their time together in Toronto and this gave them a chance to catch up. They'd reminisce and I as always a very happy fly on the wall. At one point I did ask Tom how he handled having to give up a half to a young player. He said he loved it. I looked at him and asked "Really"? He said "Absolutely....I least I got to play a half."

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    [QUOTE=Mike Hogan;146739]
    Ottawa used both Clements and Holloway in some games between 1975 and '78, and at times it was a change-of-pace/style approach. Edm used the two-QB system fairly regularly from 1978 to 1980, initially with Wilkinson starting and Moon coming in for some action, then the reverse. By 1981 Moon saw the lion's share of playing time, IIRC, altho Wilkie came into the 1981 Grey Cup. The Argos had two proven QBs in Holloway and Barnes, but generally did not use them in the same game except in the case of injury, altho Barnes of course relieved Holloway in the 1983 Grey Cup. Since then, can't think of any actual regular two-QB approaches. I'd hesitate to declare LaPolice a genius based on one game with a two-QB system. Let's see if they get past Sask and then Ham before the coronation.[/QUOTE

Wilkinson used to come up to the broadcast booth in Edmonton a couple of hours before a game. He and Pete Martin were pals from their time together in Toronto and this gave them a chance to catch up. They'd reminisce and I as always a very happy fly on the wall. At one point I did ask Tom how he handled having to give up a half to a young player. He said he loved it. I looked at him and asked "Really"? He said "Absolutely....I least I got to play a half."
    Mike, in your opinion is it worth trying to sign an NCAA QB for top money? T.O. has had their share of great QB's. Don't know how we got them all but it solves a problem and creates some promotion for the league and Argos. Would it work for us?

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't care where a QB comes from as long as he can play well. We've all seen a ton of high-profile NCAA QBs come up and soil the sheets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    You would think if Claybrooks was sacked having a better record, logic says how Chamblin cannot survive?
    Some people remarked it was because Claybrooks wore his hat crooked and the Owner didn't like it. For the record Cory wears his straight but I don't know if that will save him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So the time period outlined by Pinball has come and gone. Given how close we are to the finals and the Grey Cup, I have to assume that we will get no announcement about CC for another 10-14 days. Even if they were looking to speak to coaches still active in the playoffs, a firing could in theory have been announced by now, but I imagine the league has issued a directive not to distract from the championship at this point. Or who knows, maybe CC will be retained. (I doubt it, but . . . )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    So the time period outlined by Pinball has come and gone. Given how close we are to the finals and the Grey Cup, I have to assume that we will get no announcement about CC for another 10-14 days. Even if they were looking to speak to coaches still active in the playoffs, a firing could in theory have been announced by now, but I imagine the league has issued a directive not to distract from the championship at this point. Or who knows, maybe CC will be retained. (I doubt it, but . . . )
    I don't think he will be retained, and agree, they will wait until after the GC to make any announcement.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't think he will be retained, and agree, they will wait until after the GC to make any announcement.
    I also agree. How the four remaining teams do in the playoffs will determine which coaches are actually available. I don't fault the Argos for not making any cuts/announcements while they are not in position to know who they can actually pursue for any vacancies.