Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

The Argos and the 2020 CFL Scouting Bureau Report

The first 2020 CFL Scouting Bureau report is out. The Argos may have first overall pick and more than likely a top three pick so who teams rank most highly could be of special interest to Argo fans. Of course there is always the questions of how good the rankings actually are, of how much they will change over time, and how good teams' own analyses are in making picks, but this report gives some first impressions of who is standing out at the beginning of the college season.
    Interestingly there are two QBs on the list: Nathan Rourke at #3 of Ohio and Adam Sinagra of Calgary at # 18.
    While I do think the Argos need to get add to their OL, I would also love to see them go for one of these QBs at some point in the draft in the CFL's never-ending search for the next Canadian starting QB.
    What do you think?

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/12/gallim...reau-rankings/
    Last edited by jerrym; 09-13-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I havent been impressed with Popps two drafts. Hes definitely neglected the O-line. That has to be priority #1.

We still dont have that game-changing Canadian reciever. I had high hopes for Noel, but he cant seem to break out of his role as a bit-player. Jimmy Ralph is a regular starter but not a game changer. SJ isnt going to be around forever and it would be great to fill his shoes with a non-import.

I'd like to see us draft a good kicker who can handle punts as well. I'm not sure if there are any in this draft class.

Please DO NOT draft a QB. I was against drafting O'Conner when we already had Bridge on the roster, especially when there were a handful of good Oline prospects still available. I like that the league is providing incentives for teams to develop a Canadian qb, but other teams have a more pressing need for one than we do. Let them burn a high pick while we take the good Olinemen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hopefully we have a new President and GM well before the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah because the president makes the final draft selections.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post
    I havent been impressed with Popps two drafts. Hes definitely neglected the O-line. That has to be priority #1.

We still dont have that game-changing Canadian reciever. I had high hopes for Noel, but he cant seem to break out of his role as a bit-player. Jimmy Ralph is a regular starter but not a game changer. SJ isnt going to be around forever and it would be great to fill his shoes with a non-import.

I'd like to see us draft a good kicker who can handle punts as well. I'm not sure if there are any in this draft class.

Please DO NOT draft a QB. I was against drafting O'Conner when we already had Bridge on the roster, especially when there were a handful of good Oline prospects still available. I like that the league is providing incentives for teams to develop a Canadian qb, but other teams have a more pressing need for one than we do. Let them burn a high pick while we take the good Olinemen.
    The only point I disagree with is Bridge who hasn’t shown the necessary skills to be an effective starter in the CFL and hasn’t stuck with any team despite a few opportunities.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The only point I disagree with is Bridge who hasn’t shown the necessary skills to be an effective starter in the CFL and hasn’t stuck with any team despite a few opportunities.
    O'Connor remains a good prospect. Bridge does not. I am very glad we drafted O'Connor and have high hopes for him to develop into a starting QB at some point in the next 2-3 years. I would not oppose drafting another QB in 2020, but we clearly need o-linemen more, altho there are not many of those in this particular top 20.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The first 2020 CFL Scouting Bureau report is out. The Argos may have first overall pick and more than likely a top three pick so who teams rank most highly could be of special interest to Argo fans. Of course there is always the questions of how good the rankings actually are, of how much they will change over time, and how good teams' own analyses are in making picks, but this report gives some first impressions of who is standing out at the beginning of the college season.
    Interestingly there are two QBs on the list: Nathan Rourke at #3 of Ohio and Adam Sinagra of Calgary at # 18.
    While I do think the Argos need to get add to their OL, I would also love to see them go for one of these QBs at some point in the draft in the CFL's never-ending search for the next Canadian starting QB.
    What do you think?

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/12/gallim...reau-rankings/
    Nathan Rourke is an exceptional CFL style QB so I hope Jim Popp takes a hard look at him for the Argos top pick. Not as many offensive linemen in the top ten as other years , so don't know if that means it is a weak class for the O Line or the others players listed are exceptional.
    Probably the top 5 or 6 will get NFL looks for sure, although CB Rene will probably go back to North Carolina next year after tearing his ACL.
    At first glance it looks like another deep draft with several real good players but not many exceptional ones. I have a good feeling about DE Mason Bennett at North Dakota. DE Daniel Joseph at Penn State is a brother of Faith Ekakite Winnipeg's #1 pick in 2017 who I believe is out of Football now.
    I have to admit that I have seen most of the NCAA players on TV and very few of the CIS guys as unfortunately they are not on any stations that I know of.
    I would like to see the CBC show a game of the week. They are suppose to show a percentage of Canadian content or is that not in play anymore.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    O'Connor remains a good prospect. Bridge does not. I am very glad we drafted O'Connor and have high hopes for him to develop into a starting QB at some point in the next 2-3 years. I would not oppose drafting another QB in 2020, but we clearly need o-linemen more, altho there are not many of those in this particular top 20.
    The O’Connor pick was the highlight of the draft for me TBH, decent QB prospects are at a premium so Popp was wise to grab him while he could.
    Argos need a couple of blue chip O-Line prospects badly, still early but you wonder if the Argos whiffed on the Shane Richards pick?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Interesting list, with a bunch of NCAA ball Canucks with nice resumes.

Rourke - unless he draws serious NFL interest (?) - should be a CFL 1st rounder - big, mobile QBs with even half decent arms, have shown they can do damage in the CFL lately (no surprise if you get CFL history) - see Fajardo & Strevler; we'll see if any CFL GOBs show real interest in a Canadian QB by using a first rounder on Rourke = i have my doubts; just like i have serious doubts O'Connor ever gets a real CFL shot.

Carabins DB M-A Dequoy is a guy I'd like to see the Argos able to draft - big, fast, play-making DB who could make a very good CFL safety prospect.

How many O-linemen do the Argos have to draft before they come up with a solid starter? - any young guys they have now going to pan-out ?

Receivers Claypool, Brissett and Ternowski all have very good college ball resumes; not sure they need more NI receivers though if Noel or Cibasu are not getting much use now; CFL GOB thinking now has young Canadian receiver talent often sitting or little used.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OV wrote:

Receivers Claypool, Brissett and Ternowski all have very good college ball resumes; not sure they need more NI receivers though if Noel or Cibasu are not getting much use now; CFL GOB thinking now has young Canadian receiver talent often sitting or little used.[/QUOTE]

I still think Gittens can develop into a good receiver for the Argos. They don't believe in rushing their young Canadian receivers though it seems.
    Claypool looks like a sure fire NFL player. I would take Rourke over Brissett if they both were still on the board when the Argos pick. Ternowski would be a later round pick if he was still there, but they already have a player similar in Ralph. IMO
    So my wish would be Rourke first and then one of the O Linemen. Can't see Toronto picking worse than 3rd, 12th and 21th in the first three rounds.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    OV wrote:

Receivers Claypool, Brissett and Ternowski all have very good college ball resumes; not sure they need more NI receivers though if Noel or Cibasu are not getting much use now; CFL GOB thinking now has young Canadian receiver talent often sitting or little used.[/QUOTE

I still think Gittens can develop into a good receiver for the Argos. They don't believe in rushing their young Canadian receivers though it seems.
    Claypool looks like a sure fire NFL player. I would take Rourke over Brissett if they both were still on the board when the Argos pick. Ternowski would be a later round pick if he was still there, but they already have a player similar in Ralph. IMO
    So my wish would be Rourke first and then one of the O Linemen. Can't see Toronto picking worse than 3rd, 12th and 21th in the first three rounds.
    Considering the fact Toronto already has Michael O’Connor himself a highly rated QB prospect on the roster I wouldn’t use a first round pick on Rourke, too many needs elsewhere such as the O-Line.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

I don't know if Popp has neglected the oline. He drafted Mason Woods in his first year, Ryan Hunter high in year two, and this season drafted ( I forget his name because he doesn't play) at #1overall along with Maurice Simba (PR) and Eric Starczala (returned to Guelph)...i feel i missed someone. However none have contributed while other teams oline draft picks have.

No doubt this area has been mismanaged...even Jim Barker , with the exception of Sean McEwen didn't do much there unless Jamal Campbell who is finally getting a chance to play develops. DJ Sackey is now languishing on Ottawa's PR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Considering the fact Toronto already has Michael O’Connor himself a highly rated QB prospect on the roster I wouldn’t use a first round pick on Rourke, too many needs elsewhere such as the O-Line.
    Offensive linemen are easier to find than good QB's if you pay them more than the minimum. The CFL is a QB driven League, and if you don't have the good QB you not going to win consistently. You can't put Rourke on a negotiation list. He has to be drafted or signed as a FA. So I say draft him even if you have to wait a few years to get him. The Argos Canadian talent is pretty good the way it is. What is needed on the O Line is a couple of real good Tackles and the biggest talent pool to find them is down south. To get a shut down left tackle you have to pay more than what I believe they're paying their tackles now. That's my opinion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Offensive linemen are easier to find than good QB's if you pay them more than the minimum. The CFL is a QB driven League, and if you don't have the good QB you not going to win consistently. You can't put Rourke on a negotiation list. He has to be drafted or signed as a FA. So I say draft him even if you have to wait a few years to get him. The Argos Canadian talent is pretty good the way it is. What is needed on the O Line is a couple of real good Tackles and the biggest talent pool to find them is down south. To get a shut down left tackle you have to pay more than what I believe they're paying their tackles now. That's my opinion.
    Yes the CFL is generally considered a QB driven league for sure.
    I have also watched a very highly paid QB with the BC Lions who is generally considered one of the league’s best get beaten up game after game behind a pitiful O-Line to the point he has been rendered ineffective this season.
    Really good O-Line play can make a decent QB much more effective if he is given time to make his reads and get rid of the ball.
    For various reasons the Toronto Argonauts have debunked your first sentence unfortunately.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Considering his career path, I think Rourke's first pro stop will be the NFL. That would make him a late CFL draft pick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OV wrote:

Receivers Claypool, Brissett and Ternowski all have very good college ball resumes; not sure they need more NI receivers though if Noel or Cibasu are not getting much use now; CFL GOB thinking now has young Canadian receiver talent often sitting or little used.

So my wish would be Rourke first and then one of the O Linemen. Can't see Toronto picking worse than 3rd, 12th and 21th in the first three rounds.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - sort of forgot about Gittens - that's another outstanding resume (all-time U Sports single season reception #) receiver with the Argos - to go with Noel & Cibasu who are not getting playing time for the Argos (with Ralph - solid IMO the only NI starter.) Not sure the Argos need another Canadian receiver to merit going there early in the draft - unless you identify a Masotti type/

CFL trend now is go with mostly import receivers (outside of BC now with 3 starting NIs) = so a lot of young NI receiver talent sits or goes un-used. Interesting to see the Stamps giving playing time to a few young Canadian receivers - Klukas and draft picks Mayala and Hunchack. Meanwhile - a $hite team offence like Ottawa defers to a bunch of mediocre import receivers - Noel, Cibasu and Gittens could all probably be starting for the RedBlacks O. IMO - but not with imports first dullards running the show there.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is Ciabasu even considered a receiver anymore? Based on his CIS career, he looks to be wasted as a backup H-back but may have bulked up to became an NFL TE?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Is Ciabasu even considered a receiver anymore? Based on his CIS career, he looks to be wasted as a backup H-back but may have bulked up to became an NFL TE?
    That would be interesting to see Chamblin give Cibasu some time at TE. He is a big young man at 6'3 240-245. Most teams bring in their backup O Lineman as TE's. But someone like Cibasu could release and be an over the middle pass target especially when the other teams blitz's a line backer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    That would be interesting to see Chamblin give Cibasu some time at TE. He is a big young man at 6'3 240-245. Most teams bring in their backup O Lineman as TE's. But someone like Cibasu could release and be an over the middle pass target especially when the other teams blitz's a line backer.

Cept that CFL offensive coaching bright lights don`t get the possibility of a TE being used as a pâss catching weapon - long gone from the game for good ole, same old simpleton offences now; though it has been tried in the past decade or so - once or twice a season sort of by a few teams, and usually with great success - a TE lines up tight to the line and releases down-field and almost always wide-open for a big gainer (Ottawa used if for a long TD to Beaulieu, last year i think it was); basically what i would call a freebie play in the offensive bingo card - defences just are not going to be ready for it, the TE ends up WIDE open; mind you, they would end up adjusting some if the play was used a few times- but for once a game, and at a time when you need a big play = easy as pie or liking taking candy from a baby defence; offensive same old CFL minds can`t seem to get or grasp this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL scouts can`t see fit to draft the likes of outstanding kicking talents like Paredes, Liam H-alphabet or little Ottawa guy who goes on to set all-time pro FG accuarcy mark; but now they have this Molson guy in their top 20 - why - cause the guy is on a groovy Div I roster. or maybe they are getting that kickers can be very important in the CFL game ÉÉÉ