Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    The top two will be NFL draft picks, and I think Rourke will be in an NFL camp. After that we'll see.

Based on highlights I've seen, Adeyemi-Berglund had some huge pass-rushing games later in the season.

I wouldn't say no to taking a guard at #2. We need new blood at that position
    Yeah I think you probably spot on. The NFL are looking at the Rourke type QB's now more than they use to. But if Rourke is drafted or signed as a FA in the NFL I hope the Argos still take him with one of their third round picks as a future.

DE Berglund is listed at 6'2 250 which puts him around Smith, Beltre and Bishop's size. He has been invited to an All Star Bowl game, so he has some upside. 2nd round #17 on the winter ranking. DE Mason Bennett 6'4 260 North Dakota is at #8

I agree Murphy should maybe look seriously at an offensive lineman at the 2nd overall pick. Holmes is a FA and gets beat a lot on the pass rush IMO, C McEwen is good but as a FA may look at going home to Calgary, Shane Richards was a disappointment IMO, but I liked the look of Simba in game 18 at LG. Campbell seems to have settled in at RT as long as he re-signs. Bomben isn't getting any younger and maybe more of a backup now. LT Sage Doxtater 6'7 340 New Mexico St. was rated the highest but was injured early and red shirted for his Senior year, even though he returned for their final 5 games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I watched Rourke on TV a few times this year, and I will be surprised if he gets NFL interest. He’s a running QB with an average arm who carries the ball once every two pass attempts, which is a tough sell if you’re not Lamar Jackson.

Rourke could do well in the CFL, but I think O’Connor is a much better QB with better skills and a bigger upside.

Have not seen Rourke mentioned once in some quick scans of NFL 2020 draft prospect sites. Maybe some NFL team has a running QB more on their radar than in the past, but Rourke is not at a big name program, and that means so much to a lot of scouts. He might get a mini-camp look somewhere down there, but it a real long shot to make an NFL roster IMO - unless some scout likes his throwing mechanics for some reason or other.

Given what Strevler brought to the Bombers, plus the success of Fajardo running quite a bit for the Riders this past season, you might think some CFL teams would be thinking more about adding a scrambling QB to their mix - even a guy to come in as a change of pace (like Strevler) - maybe LaPolice would think of Rourke for that role in Ottawa; but also quite likely a number of GOBs are still afraid of the notion of a Canadian QB - dont want to hear local yokel fans or media calling for the Canadian kid to get a shot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argos seem to have lots of depth at Canadian receiver, LB and O-line prospects, so should be able to look elsewhere IMO, to go outside of the box of typical, predictable draft thinking.
    Agree we are well stocked at LB, but I have to disagree about OL, and to a lesser extent about receiver. While I think Richards and Simba are good prospects at OG (and maybe OT), I think we need at least a couple more starting-potential NATs in the mix there. Holmes and Bomben seem to be near the end, and I'm worried McEwen will leave in free agency. That leaves Campbell as our only "proven" young NAT on the line. As for receiver, Noel is an excellent STer who has shown he can catch, Gittens seems to have great potential and Ralph is solid but unspectacular. I would like us to add some depth there, but wouldn't take a receiver in the first round unless the guy is guaranteed to develop into a starter.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    On the whole it would probably be a good idea to draft some extra OL talent. At this point of time the team has Campbell who developed nicely last year. Along with Richards and Simba, Starczale is returning after another year in USports. Unfortunately he was injured for a lot of last season at Guelph but having seen him play, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he made the team next year. Added to those is Hunter, who in all likelihood will be returning to the CFL in the not too distance future. Both O'Donnell and Giffen impressed me with their play last year and either could turn out to have a good CFL career.

I agree with OV that Liegghio, really impressed over the last two years at both kicking roles and should be in the top20 draft prospects.Hopefully the Argos consider him in their drafting plans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess another O-lineman might be nice for good ole depth, but that need would be less if Hunter shows up; Richards, Simba, Starczala and Campbell are all more natural OT types, but i guess could become solid guards; why not draft a natural, proven college ball all-star guard to compete in an area of need. One of Richards, Starczala or Simba might be able to beat out Campbell to start at OT. 2 starting NI OTs is probably not on the table.

As far as NI receiver - with the plan to probably continue to start just one - how much depth do you need; Id add Cibasu in the mix at receiver, even if he got viewed as an H-back, he is a proven receiver in college ball; one of Noel, Gittens or Cibasu could step-up to start at receiver (and supplant Ralph, who is still a solid hands possession type receiver); why draft another top rated receiver if he is just going to be viewed as depth - and then likely to leave soon as a FA to go to a team that might entertain starting more Canadian receivers (BC started 3 most of last season).

I still like the idea of finding a potential starter - sooner than later - with 1st and 2nd round picks - and by looking at areas of real need; not sure what or where that will be to the next coaching staff or brain trust. A play-making, rangy, solid hitter & tackler at safety would be nice. But i would draft an O-lineman or receiver 1st round - current depth considered - if they see another Dan Ferrone or Paul Masotti

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe Buffalo and Charlotte played the first NCAA Bowl Game of the season today and was able to watch most of it. I was interested in getting another look at Canadian Senior OG Tomas Jack-Kurdyla of Buffalo again. He played ok at right guard on a very good Buffalo OL. Was replaced in the 4th quarter by a 2nd year man. It will be interesting to see where Jack-Kurdyla is rated after the CFL combine. Carter O'Donnell of Alberta has to still be the top OLineman in this draft IMO. The Buffalo LT Evin Ksiezarczyk 6'6 315 Senior was really dominating IMO but will probably be NFL bound.
    Canadian Junior TE Julien Bourassa 6' 6 255 played much of the game but I didn't see a pass thrown his way.
    Canadian Freshman TE Cole Burniston 6'3 230 saw time on special teams. I didn't see the other 3 Canadians get in the game at all. Soph RT Gabe Wallace 6'6 315, Junior QB Dominic Johnson 6'5 230 and Senior FS Dev Lamour 6'2 205. Lamour was rated #17 in the fall ranking, so I don't know what that says about this years draft. Maybe the scouts see him as a good special teamer.
    Argo neg list Senior DE Ledarius Mack 6'1 240 played fairly well. Recovered a fumble and had a sack late in the game. But he's not another Odell Willis. Would be a OLB in the NFL and a RE in the CFL. Will probably get a good look in the NFL first because of his famous brother.
    BC Lion neg list Senior DE Alex Highsmith 6'4 245 was a non factor much of the game, maybe because he was up against the previous mentioned OT Ksiezarczyk.
    Buffalo soph RB Jaret Patterson 5'9 190 had a big game behind that Buffalo OLine. Could be a possible good CFL player down the road.
    Final score 31-9 for Buffalo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I believe Buffalo and Charlotte played the first NCAA Bowl Game of the season today and was able to watch most of it. I was interested in getting another look at Canadian Senior OG Tomas Jack-Kurdyla of Buffalo again. He played ok at right guard on a very good Buffalo OL. Was replaced in the 4th quarter by a 2nd year man. It will be interesting to see where Jack-Kurdyla is rated after the CFL combine. Carter O'Donnell of Alberta has to still be the top OLineman in this draft IMO. The Buffalo LT Evin Ksiezarczyk 6'6 315 Senior was really dominating IMO but will probably be NFL bound.
    Canadian Junior TE Julien Bourassa 6' 6 255 played much of the game but I didn't see a pass thrown his way.
    Canadian Freshman TE Cole Burniston 6'3 230 saw time on special teams. I didn't see the other 3 Canadians get in the game at all. Soph RT Gabe Wallace 6'6 315, Junior QB Dominic Johnson 6'5 230 and Senior FS Dev Lamour 6'2 205. Lamour was rated #17 in the fall ranking, so I don't know what that says about this years draft. Maybe the scouts see him as a good special teamer.
    Argo neg list Senior DE Ledarius Mack 6'1 240 played fairly well. Recovered a fumble and had a sack late in the game. But he's not another Odell Willis. Would be a OLB in the NFL and a RE in the CFL. Will probably get a good look in the NFL first because of his famous brother.
    BC Lion neg list Senior DE Alex Highsmith 6'4 245 was a non factor much of the game, maybe because he was up against the previous mentioned OT Ksiezarczyk.
    Buffalo soph RB Jaret Patterson 5'9 190 had a big game behind that Buffalo OLine. Could be a possible good CFL player down the road.

Carter O'Donnell is going to the US Shrine all-star game; along with Carabins DB M-A Deqouy (rare for a CIS DB to be invited to that game - i'll guess he lines up at free safety there) Argos might think of drafting Dequoy as a good safety project. Lamour should be starting as a Senior to be rated a top 20 type CFL draft prospect IMO - but maybe he is nicked or else playing behind top notch NFL prospect safety types ? U Sports all-Canadian safety this season (kid from Alberta whose name escapes me now), and the year before the all-Canadian safety in Junior ball, might be the better safety prospect - proven all-star player; not big on CFL scouts deferring to guys who are rated just because they were on an NCAA roster but didn't prove much there.

Idaho Potato Bowl (?) will feature 2 top 20 CFL draft prospects - QB Nathan Rourke (Ohio) and receiver B O'Leary Orange (Nevada - and son of former Argo RB Doyle Orange).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It makes sense, but Buffalo has a ton of Canadian players. Sounds like almost 15 percent of its roster. Buffalo does not likely have any GOBs on their coaching staff.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It doesn't look like QB Dominic Johnson is going to get a chance to start for the Bulls. He should transfer over to University of Western Ontario Mustangs where I'm sure he could start for his final 2 years:-)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    It doesn't look like QB Dominic Johnson is going to get a chance to start for the Bulls. He should transfer over to University of Western Ontario Mustangs where I'm sure he could start for his final 2 years:-)
    I was thinking the same thing especially when he didn't get in when the game was out of reach for Charlotte. It would be nice to see U of T or York recruit some top players for a change and revive some USport fan interest in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    It makes sense, but Buffalo has a ton of Canadian players. Sounds like almost 15 percent of its roster. Buffalo does not likely have any GOBs on their coaching staff.

No doubt there are tons of Canadian born & raised football coaches, scouts and assorted other key decision makers hired to staffs of American football teams (NCCA, NFL) ?

What's that you say? - no ? Funny how that works, huh ? Oh say can you see it makes sense ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argo LS Joe Spaziani has a younger brother playing at Virgina. 6'5 210 Junior WR Andrew Spaziani. Don't know if he will qualify as a National like his brother. Forget what was the Canadian connection there. Father Frank coached in Calgary and Winnipeg. Left for Boston College in 97. Joe was born in 96 in Winnipeg I presume. So probably is a National because he was born in Canada. Younger brother Andrew maybe not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argo LS Joe Spaziani has a younger brother playing at Virgina. 6'5 210 Junior WR Andrew Spaziani. Don't know if he will qualify as a National like his brother. Forget what was the Canadian connection there. Father Frank coached in Calgary and Winnipeg. Left for Boston College in 97. Joe was born in 96 in Winnipeg I presume. So probably is a National because he was born in Canada. Younger brother Andrew maybe not.

Andrew Spaziani has zero stats playing for Virginia this season = hard to believe he should be anywhere on CFL radar for receivers - other than that name NCAA roster resume, plus the 6-5 size (and a CFL "name" i guess) = some CFL scouts might be interested, and maybe he ends up doing something as a Senior ?

Pretty decent draft crop upcoming for receivers IMO - a few proven NCAA Canucks plus a number of good U Sports pass catchers. That 6-7 target out of SFU (John?) - leading Conference receiver / all-star - has jumped up as intriguing perhaps ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Andrew Spaziani has zero stats playing for Virginia this season = hard to believe he should be anywhere on CFL radar for receivers - other than that name NCAA roster resume, plus the 6-5 size (and a CFL "name" i guess) = some CFL scouts might be interested, and maybe he ends up doing something as a Senior ?

Pretty decent draft crop upcoming for receivers IMO - a few proven NCAA Canucks plus a number of good U Sports pass catchers. That 6-7 target out of SFU (John?) - leading Conference receiver / all-star - has jumped up as intriguing perhaps ?
    On the bright side no stats means no drops or fumbles OV, draft him!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Another Canadian down in NCAA II football who will probably be of interest to CFL scouts is PK Dante Brown 5'10 185 at Fort Hayes State.
    28 of 33 field goals last year. 29 of 32 this year including a 51 and a 56 yarder. The record for field goals made in Div II is 30 so he came close both years. 1st team Div II all American. Punting average for over 42 yards, although it appears he was mainly the place kicker this past year.
    Sounds like he could be a possible upgrade from the 2019 Argo kickers.

The thing about kickers the goal posts and field size are the same in all divisions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The thing about kickers the goal posts and field size are the same in all divisions.
    But hash mark widths are different. Considerably wider in Cdn football.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I would imagine the pressure on a FG kicker could be greater at the pro level.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Actually, NCAA hash marks are wide just like Canadian football. Canadian ball it is 18 yards between hash marks. American Amateur football which includes NCAA 17 yards, 2 feet, 4 inches.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    All that matters is can the kicker put a 50 yarder through the uprights for the winning points on quite often on the last play of the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    All that matters is can the kicker put a 50 yarder through the uprights for the winning points on quite often on the last play of the game.

Yeah; and if the guy is an accurate kicker there might not be the need for last play heroics to make up for some missed kicks earlier in the game; but accuracy and leg strength are 2 different qualities for kickers; very few are real strong in both departments; and Lewis Ward is just not getting enough respect for his all-time accuracy #s he put up; and he might have answered some doubters about his leg strength with a 56 yarder last season (though he did have a few misses to make him look human) - read he has already had one NFL look this off-season. Wouldn't bet on him making it down there though - the all-time accuracy thing would be written-off by some NFL super-experts = their loss.

Kicking FGs from the wider angles (at times) on a Canadian field is more of a challenge than on an NFL field.