Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Story on M B-T

His is a story worth telling.

We had a long chat after Wednesday's practice. He was incredibly open about what went wrong, and what's gone right.

Enjoy.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/09/19/...medium=twitter

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I was one of those people who had written M B-T off after the Edmonton game.

His play since then has been vastly improved. I think Zach Collaros could have played a factor as well.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    MBT has been cut more times than that guy who was trying to shave his face in the bathroom of a moving passenger train. The fellow (MBT) just won't quit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I've said it before and I'll repeat: I am increasingly sold on MBT as our future (as well as present) starting QB. Even when he was struggling in the early part of the season, I loved his demeanour and command of the huddle. Now that he has relaxed, he seems to be growing into the role very nicely. This is his third season, when QBs often take a major step up. Yes he's 30, and no he's not Ricky Ray, but right now he is one of the top-performing QBs in this league. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season, he will have earned a new contract with a sizeable pay increase. I'm hoping that happens.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll repeat: I am increasingly sold on MBT as our future (as well as present) starting QB. Even when he was struggling in the early part of the season, I loved his demeanour and command of the huddle. Now that he has relaxed, he seems to be growing into the role very nicely. This is his third season, when QBs often take a major step up. Yes he's 30, and no he's not Ricky Ray, but right now he is one of the top-performing QBs in this league. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season, he will have earned a new contract with a sizeable pay increase. I'm hoping that happens.
    I agree Paul. Some of the comments on here about him are so ridiculous it isn't funny.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Stand up guy who has earned the respect of his team, very important IMO.
    This guy has taken a beating this season and still competes, many of us dumped on him when he was struggling so conversely he should be praised and respected for persevering and turning it around.
    I hope they sign him and keep him around👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    What’s frustrating, is that if he was playing at this level during the start of the season, we would be talking playoffs. I know he’s not all to blame, but the lack of QB play was significant, especially in the close losses that could have been easy wins. If MBT has another implosion, will fans be able to still believe? I’m sold that he’s the best QB we currently have, but not as the 2020 leader just yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I am not entirely sold on MBT yet, but he is growing on me. I do agree his demeanour in terms of his unflappability and his command of the huddle are the keys to his success so far.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    What’s frustrating, is that if he was playing at this level during the start of the season, we would be talking playoffs. I know he’s not all to blame, but the lack of QB play was significant, especially in the close losses that could have been easy wins. If MBT has another implosion, will fans be able to still believe? I’m sold that he’s the best QB we currently have, but not as the 2020 leader just yet.
    Maybe the off-season "promise" to Franklin that he'd be the starter hurt the team. It's not like Franklin outplayed MBT in camp.

Too many unknowns for 2020, like who the GM and coach will be, the health of Collaros, the upcoming trade deadline, etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Maybe the off-season "promise" to Franklin that he'd be the starter hurt the team. It's not like Franklin outplayed MBT in camp.

Too many unknowns for 2020, like who the GM and coach will be, the health of Collaros, the upcoming trade deadline, etc.
    If that is it for Franklin, he has to be one of the biggest busts in recent Argos memory. If we go with MBT and he falters, Franklin would have set the franchise back 3 years of winning. Terrible.

I have no idea why Collaros is on this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If that is it for Franklin, he has to be one of the biggest busts in recent Argos memory. If we go with MBT and he falters, Franklin would have set the franchise back 3 years of winning. Terrible.

How is Franklin a bust? His contract is not huge, he cost us Mason Woods, who was a 2nd round pick and is currently out of football. Seems like a small price. When Franklin came to Toronto, he was still unproven. As for Collaros, if he heals up and continues his career, perhaps he would agree to backup a starter.

I don't understand your comment about the franchise being set back 3 years of winning.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

A bust? Maybe we put unrealistic expectations on him, but the fact is he had 2 great games prior to coming here. Unfortunately both were against the Argos so we may not have been looking at things objectively. Just like every other QB that comes to this league, until they firmly establish themselves, they are all just prospects.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    A bust? Maybe we put unrealistic expectations on him, but the fact is he had 2 great games prior to coming here. Unfortunately both were against the Argos so we may not have been looking at things objectively. Just like every other QB that comes to this league, until they firmly establish themselves, they are all just prospects.
    In addition, Franklin had to become the starting QB earlier than the Argos planned due to Ricky Ray's injury, so he missed out on some development time. His early problems were likely somewhat related to that and may have also affected his confidence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Every time MBT grows on you a little bit, he has a stinker like so far this first half.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    MBT showed again tonight may be a capable QB----------as a backup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    How is Franklin a bust? His contract is not huge, he cost us Mason Woods, who was a 2nd round pick and is currently out of football. Seems like a small price. When Franklin came to Toronto, he was still unproven. As for Collaros, if he heals up and continues his career, perhaps he would agree to backup a starter.

I don't understand your comment about the franchise being set back 3 years of winning.
    Franklin will have had 2 full seasons to take the reins and hasn’t been able to. If they part ways after this season, how is it not a bust? If they have a losing season next year, that’s 3 terrible, franchise hurting seasons due to not having a franchise QB that Franklin was supposed to be. Major bummer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Maybe we did. They gave him unrealistic money too then. The franchise was then unrealistic to hope he would be the answer post Ricky Ray. All this hope and mortgaging the future on a prospect? I agree, it’s a crapshoot most of the time. So frustrating. I have no answers either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post

Yah I don't think James Franklin is a bust and I still feel he has more upside than McLeod but will he be here after this year? He will probably go the free agent route to see what's out there for him. IMO I think he is better than the two guys Ottawa is trotting out there this year so they could well be interested. He has to be frustrated by not being given a longer look the last two years, so he just might move on even if he doesn't receive that much more money than he is receiving here.
    I read where he said Chapdelaine's offense is very complicated. You could have fooled me watching it but if that's the case it needs to be simplified to help these young QB's. Sometimes I believe the teams are over coached trying to justify their jobs. I mean how many passing routes do you need. There's down and in, down and out, a button hook and the fly and do some variations off them. Don't need a hundred plays drawn up. Balderdash. I can well remember how teams used to bring players in and they played the next week and they did alright. Now, oh they have to learn the Canadian game for a year, or if there is a veteran like Mincy, oh they have to learn the system for a month. You think Mincy couldn't have stepped in and played better than 2 or 3 of those guys on the field last night. Bear Woods had to wait for an injury to get on the field. Bear Woods doesn't need a stupid "system" he got a nose for the ball. The same with Mincy, you can either cover and tackle or you can't and we know he can. Conditioning would be the only reason those players wouldn't playing IMO.
    Frustrating to watch an over coached team run by poor Coaching. Where is Ed Hervey when you need him. Lol
    Sorry it boils over once in a while. But we have to be passionate, right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Every time MBT grows on you a little bit, he has a stinker like so far this first half.
    This is it in a nutshell.... and why I would not put my faith and trust into MBT being the starting QB. I mean, I love the guy... but he's not THE guy. Between bad decisions and overthrowing or underthrowing receivers, he is just not consistent enough for me. And for all of the progress he has made, I don't believe the bottom line will change. For all of the criticisms of James Franklin, he hasn't had near the same amount of opportunities as MBT to really prove himself. At this point, I feel like even if they give the ball to Franklin, all we are doing is showcasing him so another team can grab him in free agency. I can't believe that he would want to stay in Toronto in the current situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Franklin will have had 2 full seasons to take the reins and hasn’t been able to. If they part ways after this season, how is it not a bust? If they have a losing season next year, that’s 3 terrible, franchise hurting seasons due to not having a franchise QB that Franklin was supposed to be. Major bummer.
    A bust is a player that a team heavily invests their future in (ie trades several valuable assets, perhaps overpays with a huge contract). Popp simply made a trade for, what most people thought was the best qb in the CFL who was not starting. Again, Mason Woods for James Franklin was not a bad deal. Franklin was a prospect coming here. Then he gets a HC in Trestman who didn't seem to like him. That's not on Franklin.