Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    So who are the free agents QB's this off season. I believe Dane Evans is under contract in Hamilton but I believe Masoli may be a FA. Both the Winnipeg QB's are FA's. Wouldn't want Nichols here with this offensive line, Streveler or what ever his name is might be better because he at least can succeed when running for his life, which would be a big plus with the Argos. But I think Winnipeg will try and keep him over Nichols. Ottawa can have Nichols. MBT, Franklin and Collaros are all FA's. I would pass on the first two. Collaros was good at one time but he might be too fragile. Arbuckle in Calgary may be a FA but can he run?
    Fajardo is a FA and might be the type of QB who could have success here because of his running ability, but I don't believe the Riders will let him walk. He will probably score a very good contract going forward.
    And we still don't know for sure what Prukop can do. Well I should clarify that, we know he can't run the short yardage play.
    Pretty gloomy picture IMO unless Popp can lure Masoli over with Reilly or Mitchell type money? Would make for a great Labour Day story. Be like John Tavares going back to Long Island.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'd rather know who are the free agent o-linemen and d-linemen.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    So who are the free agents QB's this off season. I believe Dane Evans is under contract in Hamilton but I believe Masoli may be a FA. Both the Winnipeg QB's are FA's. Wouldn't want Nichols here with this offensive line, Streveler or what ever his name is might be better because he at least can succeed when running for his life, which would be a big plus with the Argos. But I think Winnipeg will try and keep him over Nichols. Ottawa can have Nichols. MBT, Franklin and Collaros are all FA's. I would pass on the first two. Collaros was good at one time but he might be too fragile. Arbuckle in Calgary may be a FA but can he run?
    Fajardo is a FA and might be the type of QB who could have success here because of his running ability, but I don't believe the Riders will let him walk. He will probably score a very good contract going forward.
    And we still don't know for sure what Prukop can do. Well I should clarify that, we know he can't run the short yardage play.
    Pretty gloomy picture IMO unless Popp can lure Masoli over with Reilly or Mitchell type money? Would make for a great Labour Day story. Be like John Tavares going back to Long Island.
    Nick Arbuckle is eligible for free agency in the coming off-season.I would hope Sean Burke, Danny McManus, Spencer Zimmerman, Jean-Marc Edme etc... is making the roster decisions. Jim Popp's vision has grown stale.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    Nick Arbuckle is eligible for free agency in the coming off-season.I would hope Sean Burke, Danny McManus, Spencer Zimmerman, Jean-Marc Edme etc... is making the roster decisions. Jim Popp's vision has grown stale.
    Danny McManus working for the Argos now? I thought he was with Winnipeg.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    As long as they don't go back to MBT. MBT has been given way more chances than Franklin has.
    MBT is a much better QB than Franklin and gives this team its best chance of winning. Time to trade Franklin somewhere for a conditional draft pick which is the most you will get for him.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    MBT is a much better QB than Franklin and gives this team its best chance of winning. Time to trade Franklin somewhere for a conditional draft pick which is the most you will get for him.
    To stick with McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson as the starter moving forward would lead to the same mistakes that got the Argos into this position in the first place. Not to mention that this season is a loss, and winning this season matters not... Never mind that the Argos weren't winning with Bethel-Thompson either.

The often quoted bon mot falsely attributed to Albert Einstein and Benjamin Franklin is that the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” We all know what Bethel-Thompson is, and it ain't a bonaifde starter. Why waste time on yet another 31 year old QB who still isn't the guy ? Cleo Lemon part deux anyone ?

Prukop and O'Connor are young and have potential. That's who the Argonauts should be preparing for next season IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I strongly disagree but it really doesn't matter because at this point it's clear that neither of them are good enough.

Although Franklin still hasn't been given the same chances that MBT has.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    To stick with McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson as the starter moving forward would lead to the same mistakes that got the Argos into this position in the first place. Not to mention that this season is a loss, and winning this season matters not... Never mind that the Argos weren't winning with Bethel-Thompson either.

The often quoted bon mot falsely attributed to Albert Einstein and Benjamin Franklin is that the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” We all know what Bethel-Thompson is, and it ain't a bonaifde starter. Why waste time on yet another 31 year old QB who still isn't the guy ? Cleo Lemon part deux anyone ?

Prukop and O'Connor are young and have potential. That's who the Argonauts should be preparing for next season IMO.
    The Argonauts are obviously insane by that definition because we already tried MBT last season and it didn't work. We won 4 games.

So what do we do this season? Back to MBT again and now we have 2 wins.

MBT must have incriminating pictures of someone on the Argos staff.
    :-)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I strongly disagree but it really doesn't matter because at this point it's clear that neither of them are good enough.

Although Franklin still hasn't been given the same chances that MBT has.
    Yes, and IMO Franklin throws a better more accurate ball than MBT. Under the right Coach and OC I still think he could be effective. The one thing that maybe turns Pro Coaches off is his demeanor. He doesn't exactly get a game face on. Just his nature, but in Pro Football all that nice stuff is put aside when you step between the Lines. To me that's what they don't like about him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post

This makes so much sense, that it will never happen

Trade away MBT, and Franklin , Put Zac in there, and see if he can still play, while O'Connor is groomed, there is NO point in giving Franklin or MBT any more playing time as an Argonaut.

I wonder if Chamblin would be willing to stay on as the D-coordinator?

This has been the most frustrating season in many many years to be a fan.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes, and IMO Franklin throws a better more accurate ball than MBT. Under the right Coach and OC I still think he could be effective. The one thing that maybe turns Pro Coaches off is his demeanor. He doesn't exactly get a game face on. Just his nature, but in Pro Football all that nice stuff is put aside when you step between the Lines. To me that's what they don't like about him.
    You may very well be correct, Franklin may very well succeed in the CFL but it probably won’t be in Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post

This has been the most frustrating season in many many years to be a fan.
    We seem to be saying that a lot since the move to BMO Field. (No I am Not saying that we should go back to the RC)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It was a STUPID decision to bench a QB that has played really well after a bad performance. REALLY STUPID. Anyone that thought MBT should have been replaced hasn’t been paying attention, does not know what they are talking about or just plain doesn’t like the man for whatever reason. Franklin was absolutely brutal. But hey, he was good last week when Calgary stopped bringing pressure, so everyone fell in love with him again. I’ve defended Chamblin in the past, but a coach can’t make the type of knee jerk reactions that a fan would make and benching MBT was just that.

My hope now is that the Argos poach back Tommy Condell and right the wrong they made this year by giving him the HC job, and sign FA Masoli away from the Cats too. Give O’Connor every opportunity to be the back up (especially since the dumbass decision by the league to only have a 2 QB’s dressed next year). Prukop has a lot of value in the fact that he can play ST’s. He can stay on the roster as the emergency QB in this scenario. Guys like him and Brian Bennett will stay in the league if they are willing to take these types of rolls.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    My biggest problem with Franklin is that he doesn’t seem to have any urgency in his game. Hangs on to the ball way too long and has a very long wind up when he throws. He was absolutely brutal last night. I don’t care if a QB can make an accurate throw when he has all day to throw. He’s brutal when he’s pressured. So many 2 and outs last night.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    My biggest problem with Franklin is that he doesn’t seem to have any urgency in his game. Hangs on to the ball way too long and has a very long wind up when he throws. He was absolutely brutal last night. I don’t care if a QB can make an accurate throw when he has all day to throw. He’s brutal when he’s pressured. So many 2 and outs last night.
    Pretty dismal Argo performance again last night however the running banter with the gang in your section made the night really enjoyable.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    My hope now is that the Argos poach back Tommy Condell and right the wrong they made this year by giving him the HC job, and sign FA Masoli away from the Cats too. Give O’Connor every opportunity to be the back up (especially since the dumbass decision by the league to only have a 2 QB’s dressed next year). Prukop has a lot of value in the fact that he can play ST’s. He can stay on the roster as the emergency QB in this scenario. Guys like him and Brian Bennett will stay in the league if they are willing to take these types of rolls.
    I’m all in on this scenario. If the Cats win or get to the Cup, Condell derseves to be a coach and Massoli might become expendable.

I don’t believe he’s going to be a star anywhere for the reasons you mentioned. Pro game is too fast for him. It’s the reason the team succeeds with MBT, despite a weak line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It was a STUPID decision to bench a QB that has played really well after a bad performance. REALLY STUPID. Anyone that thought MBT should have been replaced hasn’t been paying attention, does not know what they are talking about or just plain doesn’t like the man for whatever reason. Franklin was absolutely brutal. But hey, he was good last week when Calgary stopped bringing pressure, so everyone fell in love with him again. I’ve defended Chamblin in the past, but a coach can’t make the type of knee jerk reactions that a fan would make and benching MBT was just that.

On the way to the game with my son yesterday we sat with a couple of Ticat fans who happened to be going to the Leafs game.
    I discussed the possible ramifications in Hamilton if Evans continues to play at a high level this season with Masoli entering free agency.
    If Hamilton has success in the playoffs with Evans at the helm (which is a distinct possibility) where does that leave Masoli?
    I never really thought about the Condell scenario but it makes sense, I do know Condell is very well liked and respected by his players and fellow coaches which would bode well for him building a staff and recruiting players to Toronto.
    As it sits right now I would hazard a guess that Toronto is not high on anyone’s list as a possible destination in 2020 which tells me a major cultural change is needed.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Pro game is too fast for him (Franklin). It’s the reason the team succeeds with MBT, despite a weak line.
    Your definition of success differs from mine but I will give you the point that Franklin doesn't seem to be the answer.

I wouldn't mind the Condell/Masoli scenario but it will all depend on how far they go with Evans. So far so good with him but the playoffs are a different animal. It galls me to say this but right now I think the Cup is theirs to lose. Gawd, I just threw up a little in my mouth. If things go south for them in the playoffs they may want to re up with Masoli especially since Evans is under contract for next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    On the way to the game with my son yesterday we sat with a couple of Ticat fans who happened to be going to the Leafs game.
    I discussed the possible ramifications in Hamilton if Evans continues to play at a high level this season with Masoli entering free agency.
    If Hamilton has success in the playoffs with Evans at the helm (which is a distinct possibility) where does that leave Masoli?
    I never really thought about the Condell scenario but it makes sense, I do know Condell is very well liked and respected by his players and fellow coaches which would bode well for him building a staff and recruiting players to Toronto.
    As it sits right now I would hazard a guess that Toronto is not high on anyone’s list as a possible destination in 2020 which tells me a major cultural change is needed.
    Yeah, what he said.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Your definition of success differs from mine but I will give you the point that Franklin doesn't seem to be the answer.

I wouldn't mind the Condell/Masoli scenario but it will all depend on how far they go with Evans. So far so good with him but the playoffs are a different animal. It galls me to say this but right now I think the Cup is theirs to lose. Gawd, I just threw up a little in my mouth. If things go south for them in the playoffs they may want to re up with Masoli especially since Evans is under contract for next year.
    I wrote it wrong, sorry. Team finds some success under MBT. No one believes this season is a success, LOL.

I think the Cats are certainly the favourite to make the Cup. All they have to go is win 1 game at home over Montreal/Edmonton. Beating Calgary in Calgary, for the final would be a tough task, but against Winnipeg or Sask, their Champs.