Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    So as a starter in 2019 Franklin is 0-4 and outscored 192-45. There was a 4 week stretch where MBT was top 1-2 QBs in the league. Giving Franklin another chance was mind boggling. He might be jobless after this performance.
    We will never agree on MBT then as I think he's not a starter in the CFL. I could give my reasons why again but we'll just end up going around in circles again. If either of MBT or Franklin are re-signed I will give serious consideration to not renewing our season tickets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Much as I have become a fan of MBT, I am not expecting him to be re-signed. Obviously that call will be made by the next GM, but I could see Bill Manning making it a precondition of hiring. I have a sick feeling that if that happens, MBT will come back to haunt us and add his name to the parade of good QBs we have allowed to slip out of our hands.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    It is three hours until kickoff and I am literally gearing up for this game. I'm passing on the double blue face paint though settling instead for my boat logo all of a sudden too tight hoodie. How the hell did that happen? Anyway despite the paper bag references from earlier in the week and the sense of dismay on this forum at the news that James Franklin is listed as the starter I am looking forward to a big game from #8 as I predict that the Argos will snuff out the Lions faint playoff hopes with a convincing victory. I don't know what it is but this team always plays well and wins when I am in the stands. Do you hear me Popp?

By games end I predict that both Franklin and yours truly will be carried off on the shoulders of our peers, him to a joyous locker room, me to be unceremoniously dumped into False Creek. Enjoy the game.
    I feel SO bad for you. I can't imagine what it was like to watch that debacle live.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Some truth to this. I can’t, however, think of any CFL great that acts the way he does, especially a QB (your leader), that’s the difference. Closest would be Ray, but that was pure calmness, not IDGAF like Franklin stinks of.
    It's funny... even Franklin himself said in an interview that he can't be the "rah rah" guy, because he hasn't been playing around the guys all year. The whole thing is a big hot stinking mess. Among other things, Glen Suitor correctly pointed out the lack of continuity on the defence... and not because of injury. What did he say, that there were barely any players on the defence who had played at the same position for more than a couple of games? Something like that. Anyway, I don't know the actual number, but football more than any other team sport relies on that continuity and trust between players. We have none of that. And the players or coaches stating that they know they have a winning team despite the record is just a joke. I feel bad for those guys who are still giving everything they've got, because other than for personal pride or integrity, they're giving it for nothing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    all I can say is the Al's turned the situation around this year after firing the GM, then the coach. Jones has done a good job for them and is a young guy to boot. We can do the same - thinking next year of course.
    We can only hope.... but it has to be to build something consistent that lasts more than one year. Despite winning the Grey Cup twice in recent memory, the Argos have never been a consistently good team.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    It's funny... even Franklin himself said in an interview that he can't be the "rah rah" guy, because he hasn't been playing around the guys all year. The whole thing is a big hot stinking mess. Among other things, Glen Suitor correctly pointed out the lack of continuity on the defence... and not because of injury. What did he say, that there were barely any players on the defence who had played at the same position for more than a couple of games? Something like that. Anyway, I don't know the actual number, but football more than any other team sport relies on that continuity and trust between players. We have none of that. And the players or coaches stating that they know they have a winning team despite the record is just a joke. I feel bad for those guys who are still giving everything they've got, because other than for personal pride or integrity, they're giving it for nothing.
    I think Chamblin did the same thing in Saskatchewan. Looked like he tried to get fired during the end of his time there with odd roster management. Seemed like he tried to self destruct the team there and is doing it again here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    We left the stadium right after my wife tore up our losing 50/50 tickets so I didn't see the touchdown at the end of the game. What I did not know until this morning is that we went for a 2 point convert and made it presumably in the hope of making the score more respectable. I am at a loss for words to describe how disgusted I am with that rationale. It is the same feeling that I had when our beloved coach called a time out with 4 seconds left in the half with Reilly content and even anxious to kneel down with a 34 point lead. I'm sorry. I just don't get it with this guy.

Hey Stevoman, did you catch the Argo introduction where the announcer said "led by Head Coach Kahari Jones?" We can only hope. Also, the 7 year old kid singing the anthem was great and unfortunately the highlight of my night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I was going to go to the game with a friend until he phoned to say he had the flu and couldn't go. I decided to not go alone - thank heavens. The Argos looked like they were all down with the flu on the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Interesting game. I don't get as worked up because Argo history has shown the team has to drop down to the gutter before they gear up for the next GC win. Good to get the crap out of the way early.

But another observation about the QB angst. Last I checked it's not the QB's fault that the team gives up 55 points. And looking to BC ... Reilly wasn't looking like Reilly and the team was losing until the O-Line started to protect him. Argo QB's got no such protection upgrade as the season went on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I've been a defender and fan of Franklin from day one, but I just can't defend him any longer. While I've always known that he has happy go lucky persona, it's been rubbing me the wrong way for awhile now, and last night was the straw that brought my camel's back. The leader of the team sets the tone, and it's been apparent for awhile now that the team seems to lose by big margins with Franklin at the helm, and his low "give a shit meter" seems to rub off on those around him to a negative effect. In saying that while I do like that Bethel-Thompson's "give a shit meter" is high, it still doesn't mean that he should be the guy moving forward, IMO he's just not good/talented enough to be the guy, and it's been clear for a while now that he doesn't have the "it" factor to lead the team to wins. He has the leadership qualities I guess, and he puts in the work, but there's still a lot to be desired from him. Just because he's performed better than Franklin, does not mean he should be the starter of the Argos now or in the future IMO. Time to give Prukop and O'Connor the reps going forward, and see what you can get for Bethel-Thompson and Franklin - Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa need some QB help.

Clean house at the end of the season, and I hope Pinball and Manning have final say on any potential trade that Popp might try and pull off (no dumb Drew Willy type trades please). I'm sure some around here know who I've wanted as the Head Coach of the Argos for quite some time, so no need to reiterate at this point. GM will be the tricky one IMO, but Burke and Allemang would be my #1 and #2 choices respectively. Jean-Marc Edme would be an interesting potential candidate IMO, but I'm kind of hoping he goes back to Montreal for their GM position.
    Last edited by R.J; 10-06-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    We left the stadium right after my wife tore up our losing 50/50 tickets so I didn't see the touchdown at the end of the game. What I did not know until this morning is that we went for a 2 point convert and made it presumably in the hope of making the score more respectable. I am at a loss for words to describe how disgusted I am with that rationale. It is the same feeling that I had when our beloved coach called a time out with 4 seconds left in the half with Reilly content and even anxious to kneel down with a 34 point lead. I'm sorry. I just don't get it with this guy.

Hey Stevoman, did you catch the Argo introduction where the announcer said "led by Head Coach Kahari Jones?" We can only hope. Also, the 7 year old kid singing the anthem was great and unfortunately the highlight of my night.
    I was just coming in at that point and didn't hear it but read it in Frank's description of the game. Foreshadowing maybe??? Probably not but I like his style as a coach. I really wished we could've landed Steinuaer and know he won't be available but maybe Mark Washington is. He is someone that I trust would do a good job as a head coach. As for GM, I have no idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I've been a defender and fan of Franklin from day one, but I just can't defend him any longer. While I've always known that he has happy go lucky persona, it's been rubbing me the wrong way for awhile now, and last night was the straw that brought my camel's back. The leader of the team sets the tone, and it's been apparent for awhile now that the team seems to lose by big margins with Franklin at the helm, and his low "give a shit meter" seems to rub off on those around him to a negative effect. In saying that while I do like that Bethel-Thompson's "give a shit meter" is high, it still doesn't mean that he should be the guy moving forward, IMO he's just not good/talented enough to be the guy, and it's been clear for a while now that he doesn't have the "it" factor to lead the team to wins. He has the leadership qualities I guess, and he puts in the work, but there's still a lot to be desired from him. Just because he's performed better than Franklin, does not mean he should be the starter of the Argos now or in the future IMO. Time to give Prukop and O'Connor the reps going forward, and see what you can get for Bethel-Thompson and Franklin - Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa need some QB help.

Clean house at the end of the season, and I hope Pinball and Manning have final say on any potential trade that Popp might try and pull off (no dumb Drew Willy type trades please). I'm sure some around here know who I've wanted as the Head Coach of the Argos for quite some time, so no need to reiterate at this point. GM will be the tricky one IMO, but Burke and Allemang would be my #1 and #2 choices respectively. Jean-Marc Edme would be an interesting potential candidate IMO, but I'm kind of hoping he goes back to Montreal for their GM position.
    Do you think last night could cost Franklin close to $200,000? I mean, he's going to have to sign for back up money now with a contract loaded with incentives if he has any hope of getting close to starter money. No one is going to pay him even the minimum for what a starter would earn.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think Franklin may have played himself right out of the league. Why would anyone offer him a contract for 2020 based on how he has performed in almost every opportunity he has had, and how he seems to not care?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think Franklin may have played himself right out of the league. Why would anyone offer him a contract for 2020 based on how he has performed in almost every opportunity he has had, and how he seems to not care?
    Correct, as I cannot see any team offering him a contract to even back up.
    He would be hard pressed to even get an invitation to camp on a look see basis.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Level
    Absolutely disgusting first half of football. The "players" on this team should be embarrassed by their "performance".

Next Argo home game attendance probably 5,000 fans.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Can we fire Popp now so they can start looking at candidates to fill his role.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    Absolutely disgusting first half of football. The "players" on this team should be embarrassed by their "performance".

Next Argo home game attendance probably 5,000 fans.
    I'm going. That will make it 5,001.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I'm going. That will make it 5,001.
    Ya so am I, taking a buddy to his first CFL game....swore up and down after Saturday night that I was not going back this season, but I have relented. Better beat Ottawa....

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's a train wreck that I need to see to its logical (or illogical) conclusion.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Just found out a reletive is going with me. Will be buying a ticket, so we're up to 5,005.