Chuba Hubbard continues to be a top candidate in the Heisman Trophy race.

Chuba Hubbard of the Oklahoma State Cowboys is on everyone's radar right now. ...
With six games left in the season, the Sherwood Park product is in the Heisman Trophy conversation. ...

In the first game this season against Oregon State, the 20-year-old carried the ball 26 times for 221 yards and scored three touchdowns. He racked up 256 yards against Tulsa and another 296 against Kansas State. ...

He currently leads the NCAA with 1,094 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns. J.K. Dobbins from Ohio State is next with 826 yards and six touchdowns.
"I'm just focused on winning games, and playing ball," Hubbard said, deflecting questions about having a shot at the Heisman Trophy, awarded annually to the most outstanding player in NCAA football, potentially turning pro after next spring's 2020 NFL Draft. ...

"To be honest, I don't know what's going to happen after this year," he said when asked if a jump to the NFL after this season is something he's thinking about. "I'm just focused on winning games. And then after that, you know, I'll figure out what I'm going to do." ...

It's that team-first attitude that caught the attention of high school coach Curtis Martin. Martin said Hubbard stood out as a peewee player with the Strathcona Sabrecats. "I remember watching the provincial final, his first year playing peewee," Martin said. "It was a 76-72 provincial final and Chuba scored every point for his team. And that's just unheard of at that age."
During his three years at Bev Facey Community High School, Hubbard rushed for 6,880 yards on 458 carries and scored 82 touchdowns. He still returns to Sherwood Park every summer. Martin said the young star remains connected to his roots. "There's kids saying they want to wear 30 when they get to high school, they want to go to Oklahoma State, they want to be the next Chuba Hubbard," said Martin. "It's going to be really cool to see what he does with the platform that his skills are giving him, especially if he makes it to the NFL level."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...-nfl-1.5317144