Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Argo Draft Day

The difficulty of trying to predict who the Argos might pick drafting ninth overall can be seen in Duane Forde's prediction of Montreal's #1 overall pick, WR Mark Chapman. Of course, Montreal may trade their first pick in order to get immediate help on a team that has little depth in talent and realizing that even first round picks often need time before they have a major impact on the field. Having allowed the first round of NFL signings to occur, Forde, one of the best judges of CFL talent, made his prediction. The problem is that today Chapman has agreed to attend the New York Giants mini-camp.
    So with all the permutations of NFL signings and other teams signings, predicting who the Argos might be able to draft ninth overall is a fool's game to me.

The safest bet is the Argos' first pick is an OL as six of the top seven players and nine of the top twenty in the CFL Scouting Bureau's final ranking are OL and OL form a large percentage of National starters in the CFL, but even the safe prediction is far from sure.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/12/hunter...reau-rankings/

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/01/forde-...018-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The difficulty of trying to predict who the Argos might pick drafting ninth overall can be seen in Duane Forde's prediction of Montreal's #1 overall pick, WR Mark Chapman. Of course, Montreal may trade their first pick in order to get immediate help on a team that has little depth in talent and realizing that even first round picks often need time before they have a major impact on the field. Having allowed the first round of NFL signings to occur, Forde, one of the best judges of CFL talent, made his prediction. The problem is that today Chapman has agreed to attend the New York Giants mini-camp.
    So with all the permutations of NFL signings and other teams signings, predicting who the Argos might be able to draft ninth overall is a fool's game to me.

The safest bet is the Argos' first pick is an OL as six of the top seven players and nine of the top twenty in the CFL Scouting Bureau's final ranking are OL and OL form a large percentage of National starters in the CFL, but even the safe prediction is far from sure.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/12/hunter...reau-rankings/

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/01/forde-...018-cfl-draft/
    I think it is pretty obvious that Montreal will draft Trey Rutherford and have probably already come to an agreement on a contract. Otherwise he wouldn't be declining NFL invitations. Chapman to Hamilton at #2. After that flip a coin on who picks who.
    I like Marshall Ferguson's Argo picks in his 3.0 mock draft.
    Maybe Marshall will have 4.0 Thursday. lol

One thing we know for certain, all the teams will say they got the players they really wanted.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Another certainty is that OV will not be satisfied with whomever the Argos pick

I kid!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I hope the Argos don't pick a receiver at #9. I really like the Canadians currently on the roster. That being said I could see Popp grabbing Chapman if available and getting assets if an emcumbent is moved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I hope the Argos don't pick a receiver at #9. I really like the Canadians currently on the roster. That being said I could see Popp grabbing Chapman if available and getting assets if an emcumbent is moved.
    My gut tells me they'll get a big OL with outside potential. I think Popp will take his chances and pick David Knevel, the Cornhusker, who is a Tackle whereas Ryan Hunter, had more starts as an OG.

Popp loves big Tackles with length.

I'd also like to see them work in some DB/LB body types; one, for teams; and two, for depth behind Matt Black and Gabriel.

Names like Guzyluk-Messam, Jordon Beaulieu, Dagogo Maxwell and Justin Howell come to mind.

I also like the physicality and versatility of Regis Cibasu from Montreal; who could play teams, slot, wideout and FB.

Guzyluk-Messam or Cibasu would make nice 2nd Round picks IMO.
    Last edited by Jon Gonzo; 05-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    My gut tells me they'll get a big OL with outside potential. I think Popp will take his chances and pick David Knevel, the Cornhusker, who is a Tackle whereas Ryan Hunter, had more starts as an OG.

Popp loves big Tackles with length.

I'd also like to see them work in some DB/LB body types; one, for teams; and two, for depth behind Matt Black and Gabriel.

Names like Guzyluk-Messam, Jordon Beaulieu, Dagogo Maxwell and Justin Howell come to mind.

I also like the physicality and versatility of Regis Cibasu from Montreal; who could play teams, slot, wideout and FB.

Guzyluk-Messam or Cibasu would make nice 2nd Round picks IMO.
    I too have a feeling Popp will target the online. I hope Andrew Pickett out of Guelph is available in round 2. Production from RG last year could use an upgrade.

Don't foreget, Argos have last year draftee Robert Woodson in the secondary as well.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Argos need to start planning for life post-Van Zeyl.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here are the Argo's draft choices:

Live coverage of the draft begins on TSN at 8:00 pm ET and will continue on TSN and RDS until 10:00 pm. The remainder of the draft and subsequent rounds will be available on TSN’s digital platforms, including TSN.ca and the TSNGO app.
    The Argos will be on the clock with the 9th overall pick and currently hold seven total selections on Thursday night.
    • 1st Round, 9th Overall
    • 2nd Round, 18th Overall
    • 3rd Round, 20th Overall (Via Edmonton)
    • 4th Round, 35th Overall
    • 5th Round, 43rd Overall
    • 7th Round, 60th Overall
    • 8th Round, 69th Overall

Follow the entire draft on Argonauts.ca with the Argos Draft Tracker.
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2018/05/03/...en-selections/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    Happy Draft Day everyone. I hope you all got the cards I sent.

I’m obviously looking forward to seeing who the Argos, er, excuse me, the Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts pick with their selections. (That never gets old.) While it would be nice to move up I have no problem to be picking last and sincerely hope that we are doing so again next year and for years to come.

The CFL Draft is a hodge-podge as teams regularly go off the board to fill specific needs but I think it is fascinating to see what’s going on in Hamilton and let’s face it Hammie, you don’t hear that very often from anyone on anything. I don’t see the logic of trading away an all-star National O-lineman to move up one spot in the draft particularly when it is a deep draft and quite frankly they can use help at all positions. Unless Tom Brady has all of a sudden become available I don’t see how this move makes any sense to anyone except Kavis Reed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    I don’t see the logic of trading away an all-star National O-lineman to move up one spot in the draft particularly when it is a deep draft and quite frankly they can use help at all positions. Unless Tom Brady has all of a sudden become available I don’t see how this move makes any sense to anyone except Kavis Reed.
    It make no sense from an o-line standpoint, but it frees up a lot of money in case, say, they were to end up spending more than other teams on the QB position.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It make no sense from an o-line standpoint, but it frees up a lot of money in case, say, they were to end up spending more than other teams on the QB position.
    True enough and good luck to them if that's the case since only one of them can play at one time. Personally I would rather face Manziel because Masoli scares the hell out of me. Not a great QB by any stretch of the imagination but he always seems to find a way to get it done. BTW Paul, how is the new book coming along? I loved the last one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    BTW Paul, how is the new book coming along? I loved the last one.
    Thanks for asking, and for the kind words. It is coming along well, but slower than I had hoped. It's a bigger, more complex story than the last one. I've done about 65 interviews so far, many of them full of fantastic insights and anecdotes, but still need to talk to 40-60 more people. It's now looking like it will come out in late 2019 at the earliest, and quite possibly 2020.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This draft clearly shows that some draft choices have little to do with the quality of the player involved. Before the trade scout Eric DesLauriers said the Als goal with the draft was to obtain someone who could start immediately. Montreal traded for immediate help because they desperately need it. Another disastrous year with little sign of improvement could cost GM Kavis Reed his job further incentivizing the trade. With the 1st, 6th, 11th and 15th overall picks the Tiger Cats get to pick from a deep draft to build their depth although they may live to regret losing an quality OL in Ryan Bomben.

The Bombers were willing to trade a first round draft choice this year to the Lions for a first rounder because they had salary cap restraints and because when you're faced with adding a player at seven {starting Nationals] that you have to ask ‘Where does he fit in and what are you going to have to pay him at seven?’” Walters said. “These are all discussions we’re having as a group right now.”Clearly those discussions led to action later in the day and it’s obvious the Bombers will be looking for depth players, not potential starters with hefty salaries, when they start drafting on Thursday.
    http://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/with-roster-in-good-shape-and-salary-cap-tight-bombers-trade-away-their-first-pick-in-cfl-draft
    If they injury bug hits the Nationals on the Bombers, they could end up regretting this approach.

Although BC finished last like Montreal, Wally is not facing the same pressure to succeed as Kavis Reed because this is his last year no matter what happens and even a last place finish will not damage his legacy as the winningest coach in CFL history. Since it is also the start of GM Ed Hervey's tenure, like Wally, he can wait for the draft choices to develop but they wanted to get them now because they see this as a deep draft. “Our approach was to be aggressive,” said Hervey on Wednesday afternoon.
    “We felt that there are some quality players in this draft that we wanted the opportunity to select. With just one pick in the first round and then nothing until 12th overall, we weren’t quite sure we would get the type of player that we want or necessarily need. We made a pitch to move up, it was met by Winnipeg with openness and we were able to get a deal done. It gives us flexibility as far as being able to select the players we want and we’ll wait to see how the draft unfolds.”

https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/02/eve-draft-hervey-feels-trade-lions-good-spot/

E
    dmonton says they graded the top ten players as first rounders so they were willing to trade a first rounder for the number 10 choice and to give them two picks in the top 24 as opposed to one in the top 31.
    https://www.esks.com/2018/05/03/gmvp...the-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Happy Draft Day everyone. I hope you all got the cards I sent.

I’m obviously looking forward to seeing who the Argos, er, excuse me, the Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts pick with their selections. (That never gets old.) While it would be nice to move up I have no problem to be picking last and sincerely hope that we are doing so again next year and for years to come.

The CFL Draft is a hodge-podge as teams regularly go off the board to fill specific needs but I think it is fascinating to see what’s going on in Hamilton and let’s face it Hammie, you don’t hear that very often from anyone on anything. I don’t see the logic of trading away an all-star National O-lineman to move up one spot in the draft particularly when it is a deep draft and quite frankly they can use help at all positions. Unless Tom Brady has all of a sudden become available I don’t see how this move makes any sense to anyone except Kavis Reed.
    “With the 9th pick of the 2018 CFL draft the 2017 World Champion Toronto Argonauts select”...........
    Does sound nice doesn’t it👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    “With the 9th pick of the 2018 CFL draft the 2017 World Champion Toronto Argonauts select”...........
    Does sound nice doesn’t it
    It's going to drive me nuts waiting until #9!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    It's going to drive me nuts waiting until #9!!!
    I know, I get agitated seeing other teams picking ahead of the Argonauts but as Bleeds Double Blue alluded to I’ll settle for that scenario over picking first because they sucked.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I know, I get agitated seeing other teams picking ahead of the Argonauts but as Bleeds Double Blue alluded to I’ll settle for that scenario over picking first because they sucked.
    Contrary to popular belief, Bleeds Double Blue is a wise man.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks for the gift, Hamilton and Edmonton!

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/02/argos-...icats-trade-1/

Now if only someone could explain why some rounds have fewer than nine picks -- I assume it's based on supplemental selections in the past?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks for the gift, Hamilton and Edmonton!

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/02/argos-...icats-trade-1/

Now if only someone could explain why some rounds have fewer than nine picks -- I assume it's based on supplemental selections in the past?
    Nice!

And yes, it's because of supplemental picks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    ouch