Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I have no doubt that the football team will become better and be a perennial top tier team in the decade ahead. Michael will build the front office and coaching staff to do so. It is up to Manning and MLSE to step up and be all in on the business side to fill the stadium and make the team relevant off the field again.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Pinball was on the FAN 590 @ 5:30 too. Hopefully they'll post the audio.
    Here's the Audio:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-t...isation-loves/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Here is a headline from the Toronto Sun webpage:
    Chamblin wants to be head coach of Argonauts and won't accept lesser role in 2020
    I have to hand it to him, for a guy that just got smoked 55-8 and sports a 2-12 record he sure has balls. You tell 'em Corey!
    Good, makes it easier to fire him.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can imagine how the end of season meeting will go. “Cory, you’re a great football coach, we love having you here but you’re not gonna be our football coach”. (Like John Avery’s Pinball impersonation when getting benched for Ricky Williams)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Finally got here after being out all day, amazed (yet not terribly surprised, in truth) to see some fans calling this move a mistake.

When has Pinball ever failed at anything? IMO the GM role is a far better fit for him than the president role. And Murphy is a far better choice as personnel director than Tillman would have been. I think the much-maligned Manning has hit a home run here. I expect Pinball to bid farewell to Chamblin and the assistant coaches in four weeks.
    What I find strange is that there was skepticism on whether Pinball could still coach, when suggested as a possible HC candidate in the past. And the biggest criticism was that he’s not an X’s and O’s guy and the assistants were more of the coach than he was. And the same could be said here, he’s not a full-time scout with deep ties in the States like Chris Jones, but this time isn’t met with the same level of skepticism, even though Pinball admits that his plan to hire the smartest people and allow them to do their job. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea but noticed the tune has changed, when he’s essentially doing the same thing as he did as a coach. It could be said it worked, most consecutive .500+ seasons as HC but I thought there was more of a negative reaction when some wanted him to become the HC again

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I can imagine how the end of season meeting will go. “Cory, you’re a great football coach, we love having you here but you’re not gonna be our football coach”. (Like John Avery’s Pinball impersonation when getting benched for Ricky Williams)
    I have never heard John Avery's impersonation of his conversation with Pinball about Ricky Williams, but I believe I witnessed it. The Argos were holding a training camp practice in Oshawa and I noticed Pinball and Avery off to one side holding what appeared to be a sincere mostly one side conversation. Pinball was doing most of the talking and John not looking very happy. I was thinking maybe he was being cut or something. Of course what I didn't know then is that the Argos had signed Ricky Williams, as that news came out later in the day.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I have never heard John Avery's impersonation of his conversation with Pinball about Ricky Williams
    https://youtu.be/qxuJxlX3pqc?t=1556

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I listened to the Pinball interviews. He is the greatest! I have had the honour of meeting him several times through a non-football connection and he is the most genuine person I know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Finally got here after being out all day, amazed (yet not terribly surprised, in truth) to see some fans calling this move a mistake.

When has Pinball ever failed at anything? IMO the GM role is a far better fit for him than the president role. And Murphy is a far better choice as personnel director than Tillman would have been. I think the much-maligned Manning has hit a home run here. I expect Pinball to bid farewell to Chamblin and the assistant coaches in four weeks.
    I agree with this 100%. John Murphy has a solid pedigree in this league, and we should be able to hit the ground running in terms of recruitment, scouting and retention of players. And who better than Pinball to be the face of the organization to the public?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Here is a headline from the Toronto Sun webpage:
    Chamblin wants to be head coach of Argonauts and won't accept lesser role in 2020
    I have to hand it to him, for a guy that just got smoked 55-8 and sports a 2-12 record he sure has balls. You tell 'em Corey!
    When you take into consideration his last HC gig, he's 2 - 21. I don't think that what he will or won't accept will factor much into any decision-making, and I agree with others that management salary cap will simply be ignored or overlooked by the league.

New Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:

Level
    This says it all, his passion for life and more importantly going to the wall for others with a helping hand each step of the way. It really is the best path taken for the Argos at this time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Corey Chamblin will not have the hammer in any series of negotiations. In fact there may be none.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Pinball is someone that I know will do a good job at whatever he commits himself to and there is no one else that I trust more to be in charge of the franchise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The future of the Argos and the CFL will depend on attracting CFL players like “Pinball” and John Hufnagel. Outstanding athletes that were willing to commit to the CFL and to Canada.

I think many elite athletes are sold on the idea that the CFL will extend their opportunity to make it in the NFL. They accept smaller CFL contracts in hope of hitting the NFL jackpot! There was a time when these types of players were released from the CFL contracts to pursue the NFL and then would return to different CFL teams for better money. This is frustrating for CFL fans.

Move to longer contracts, better initial pay. Attract the Bill Symons-type player, who made the Green Bay Packers team, but for circumstances beyond his control, was replaced by a younger version. A good CFL contract kept him in the league and he became a fan favourite. Ultimately he moved to Canada full time.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Mmmm I believe that Pinball will surround himself with persons that will get things done .... but I do think he took this job to save the Argos from a Manning alternative decision that would have been disastrous for the Argos . Just the first thoughts that came to mind when watching the press conference.

But saying that ... I am glad that he did and I am sure it is a big step in the right direction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I do think he took this job to save the Argos from a Manning alternative decision that would have been disastrous for the Argos .
    So Manning was going to hire someone else, and Pinball stepped in and said, "hire me instead," and Manning then fell into line? Or Pinball said No to a job offer, then changed his mind when Manning told him about his alternative plan? Either notion seems pretty far-fetched from where I sit. Isn't it possible that Manning simply recognized what an under-used asset Pinball was and could be to the organization, and pressed him hard to take the job?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7