Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

O'Shea's contract is up at end of season: should Argos pursue him as and/or GM/HC

With the debacle this year and last, it is time for the Argos to give serious consideration to who should be GM and HC next year. With Mike O'Shea's contract up this year, and Kyle Walters saying there will no contract extension talks with O'Shea until the season is over, Mike O'Shea heads my list of candidates for one or both jobs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Really surprised that Winnipeg hasn’t extended him already. If available I say yes, but you have to be careful not to put your search on hold in hopes of hiring him only to see him stay in Winnipeg with a late re-signing. They need to ask permission to speak with as many good candidates as possible once they decide to go in a different direction.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    O'Shea is definitely a good coach, but I don't know whether he has what it takes to be a good GM. He has never been one and we have no idea how well equipped he would be to find good American players, which is an important part of the job. If he is available to be hired as HC, I hope the next GM gives that very serious consideration. But I'm not sure I'd give him the keys to the whole operation. He might become an excellent GM, but so far his career has been entirely focused on coaching.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The organization needs to stay away from dual roles. MLSE needs to make a decision at the end of the season (it already be made) on Popp. I will assume he’s done. Then hire the best GM candidate available. Then let them make the decisions on HC etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes, Head Coach and AGM with someone who has some serious CFL experience to help bring him along.

He has great instincts and knowledge for the Canadian game but as PW mentioned; being a great bird-dog is a big part of that job too.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I would love to have O'Shea as our HC but I don't want anyone doing both the HC and GM jobs. It's to much for 1 person to manage.

I'm also not a fan of having our HC do double duty as DC too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Ted Govia, Winnipegs Assistant GM and Player Personell guy (another former Argo front office guy that got away) would be my first choice as next GM of the CFLs Toronto Argonauts franchise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Really surprised that Winnipeg hasn’t extended him already. If available I say yes, but you have to be careful not to put your search on hold in hopes of hiring him only to see him stay in Winnipeg with a late re-signing. They need to ask permission to speak with as many good candidates as possible once they decide to go in a different direction.
    At seasons end I’d be asking Winnipeg for permission to talk to both O’Shea and LaPolice in regards to the Argo HC job and hire a GM with solid connections down south and a fresh vision for the on field product.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Ted Govia, Winnipegs Assistant GM and Player Personell guy (another former Argo front office guy that got away) would be my first choice as next GM of the CFLs Toronto Argonauts franchise.
    Agreed, a friend of mine is involved with player recruitment at McMaster and can’t say enough good things about him, very strong player recruitment background.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I would love to have O'Shea as our HC but I don't want anyone doing both the HC and GM jobs. It's to much for 1 person to manage.

I'm also not a fan of having our HC do double duty as DC too.
    I agree with you, jack of all trades master of none.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    At seasons end I’d be asking Winnipeg for permission to talk to both O’Shea and LaPolice in regards to the Argo HC job and hire a GM with solid connections down south and a fresh vision for the on field product.
    I'm still in the belief Jim Popp will be back as GM next year, but not Cory as Coach.

So: Maybe it's all planned out. Mike O'Shea comes back to Toronto as Head Coach and LaPolice becomes Head Coach in Winnipeg, again. Everybody's happy and we all like Mike, right?

Or:... even though I don't exactly like the guy, Chris Jones might be the best choice to get the Argos back to respectability, if he can be lured back to the CFL. He's is one of those guys who will eventually win where ever he goes. Got an great eye for talent and is a tireless recruiter.

Or: if MLSE wants somebody to get a lot of headlines, there's Rex Ryan. He knows quite a bit about the CFL and the Argos as he was partially raised in Toronto starting when his Father Buddy Ryan was an assistant coach with the Argos. Closest thing to Leo Cahill for getting headlines.

Going to have to do something radical to get attention in this town.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    LaPo turned down an interview for the HC job here IIRC.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I'm still in the belief Jim Popp will be back as GM next year, but not Cory as Coach.

So: Maybe it's all planned out. Mike O'Shea comes back to Toronto as Head Coach and LaPolice becomes Head Coach in Winnipeg, again. Everybody's happy and we all like Mike, right?

Or:... even though I don't exactly like the guy, Chris Jones might be the best choice to get the Argos back to respectability, if he can be lured back to the CFL. He's is one of those guys who will eventually win where ever he goes. Got an great eye for talent and is a tireless recruiter.

Or: if MLSE wants somebody to get a lot of headlines, there's Rex Ryan. He knows quite a bit about the CFL and the Argos as he was partially raised in Toronto starting when his Father Buddy Ryan was an assistant coach with the Argos. Closest thing to Leo Cahill for getting headlines.

If the Miami Dolphins franchise in the NFL continues to struggle, current scout Chris Rosetti could be seeking employment in the world of 3 down football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Agree with others in not being a fan of anyone doing double duty. However, if O'Shea is to be coxed out of Winnipeg, it would have to be for more than for a just a HC position. He is probably the best candidate for the HC role and to get him, he may also have to be offered the GM position. It may not be the end of the world, if the Argos could bring in a top head scout/assist GM to take the pressure off O'Shea in the recruiting area.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes he did, but that was last year with Popp as the GM.
    With the team cleaning house from top to bottom, perhaps a President like the most league wide and fan likeable Pinball, could talk him into taking the job.
    But first a GM is needed and for me again it would be Eric Tillman, even though the latter is rumoured to be in a similar position with the new Halifax team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It was reported he got cold feet because he couldn’t build his own staff, things change.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    "I'm still in the belief Jim Popp will be back as GM next year, but not Cory as Coach."

How does Popp deserve a new contract to come back?? And if he fires Chamlin, that's 2 coaches in 2 years with horrible teams. He's at fault!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    "I'm still in the belief Jim Popp will be back as GM next year, but not Cory as Coach."

How does Popp deserve a new contract to come back?? And if he fires Chamlin, that's 2 coaches in 2 years with horrible teams. He's at fault!!
    Popp has failed in addressing glaring roster deficiencies the past 2 seasons (O-Line, Defensive Secondary) to name a couple and should go.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Popp's contract is up this year, and he would not re-sign for just one year, so I have to think he is done based on the overall record of the team since he took over. We need a strong GM who understands the Canadian game and can recruit players. Someone like John Hufnagel. How many times does Calgary experience serious injuries to an important player, and the guy who steps in is just as good. They have been brilliant at recruitment, which is what we need. I don't know much about Ted Goveia but he sounds intriguing, and there are other good possibilities. I like the idea of Mike O'Shea being lured here as HC. He has a lot of history and roots in this community, and would bring instant credibility. However, I agree with the comment that he is unproven as a GM and it would be a mistake to give him both jobs.

I don't believe you could lure Chris Jones back to the CFL at this point without a ridiculous contract, and given the cap on coaching salaries, this would not be doable IMO.

Rex Ryan?? You've got to be kidding, right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Don’t think Buddy Ryan ever coached in Toronto, you may be thinking of Chuck Dickerson who was an assistant coach during Leo Cahill’s tenure.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions