Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Doing the show with Leo Cahill must've been a real blast!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I grew up in the 80's in Saskatchewan and chose the Maple Leafs as my favourite hockey team because my oldest brother and father were fans and I also liked the colour blue. My other brother cheered for the Oilers (smart move back then) and also cheered for the Eskimos. I followed his example and figured that if I cheered for the Leafs, then I should also cheer for the Argos (and I really liked the double blue colours)

My earliest fan memory (not sure the year) was the Argos scoring a touchdown on a bunch of laterals that was later called back due to a penalty but I remember thinking it was the coolest play ever. I remember them losing the 87 Grey Cup (my Eskimo fan brother liked to rub that in). I remember them using "the ninja" as a kickoff formation sometime in 89 or 90 and them putting up 70 points against Calgary in 1990, but it wasn't until 1991 with the arrival of the Rocket and all the hype that came with it that the Argos took over the Leafs as my favourite team.

I have since come to appreciate the accessibility of the CFL and that I can bring my entire family to the game without needing a second mortgage. I also appreciate that the players, for the most part, have been humbled and are far more approachable than any other professional league.

I have seen the Argos live several times in Saskatchewan, Edmonton, and now Vancouver, but never in their home stadium and cannot wait to experience that one day!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thank you Mike for posting this thread, and thanks to all of the Argofans who told their personal stories also.

My story is a mosaic of many of the above posts. I fell in love with the colour scheme in the mid 1970's , YES those baby blue uniforms. I think Chuck Ealey was our QB then. My passion morphed in to full blown fan when the Argo's acquired Condredge Holloway, who to this day is my favorite Argo. I have a clipping from the Toronto Star where Condredge is standing, hands on hips, looking extremely frustrated, under the caption, "Part Time Hero". Little did we know the excitement the Argo's would provide in 1982 and 1983.
    I was also a minor hockey coach back in those days in Ajax Ont. Every single season I would bring my entire hockey team to an Argo game, I sold it to the parents as a "team bonding event" Hopefully a few of those players between 1981-2009 are Argofans today.
    People talk about simple pleasures in life, one of my favorites is sitting outside in the summertime with my dog Cherry, enjoying a cold beer, while listening to the game on the radio. (and watching it later on he pvr).
    This Argofan community, while small, has enabled me to meet some really nice folks through the years, and make a few life long friends.
    (and yes, I still face paint from time to time)
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    This kind of fits here ---received a personal call (not a recording) from Michael Clemons today. Unfortunately I was out, so he left the message on the answer phone. Basically thanking me (using my first name) for attending games and saying he hoped family was well.

For the General Manager to take the time out of his obviously busy schedule to reach out personally, was very greatly appreciated. In my many years as a STH this was a first! It is reflective of the man's sincere desire to reach out to the team's fans. If I had any doubts about the team's future, they were dismissed by his kind and personal communication. We are extremely lucky to have Michael Clemons at the helm. I am getting excited about next year, already.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    This kind of fits here ---received a personal call (not a recording) from Michael Clemons today. Unfortunately I was out, so he left the message on the answer phone. Basically thanking me (using my first name) for attending games and saying he hoped family was well.

For the General Manager to take the time out of his obviously busy schedule to reach out personally, was very greatly appreciated. In my many years as a STH this was a first! It is reflective of the man's sincere desire to reach out to the team's fans. If I had any doubts about the team's future, they were dismissed by his kind and personal communication. We are extremely lucky to have Michael Clemons at the helm. I am getting excited about next year, already.
    Better days ahead!!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post

Nice to see Michael putting his stamp on the Argos. I expect the way many things are done will change. Not since John Candy has the Argos have leadership that truly love the team and franchise. Never discount passion when you forecast the future of an enterprise.

Happy Birthday John Candy who would have been 69 today.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 10-31-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Great stories all. Mike thanks for doing what you do. I for one will continue to support this team and promote the game day experience to as many people as possible.