Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Marc Trestman’s XFL Tampa Vipers debut today at 2pm

I’m looking forward to this debut. Argos/Ticat’s LB Terrence Plummer is playing.

I like the opportunity for the CFL GMs to get a lot of film on hundreds of top NCAA grads as they display their skills prior to the 2020 season. At their salary level the CFL looks like the logical step on their dream to play to the NFL. No downside here.

I also interested in how they market the XFL in NFL cities. Ticket pricing? On field entertainment? Etc.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Was able to catch part of the Houston/LA game on YouTube yesterday. If you watched the AAF last year, you would think you were watching it again yesterday. Nothing notable really.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I just don’t see spring football working in the States.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    No doubt more dink and dunk boring offense by Trestman with his horrible play calling.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Some of the XFL changes are worth considering. I like allowing the coach to talk to the QB right up to the snap of the ball (but not while the play is under way). I like letting viewers see the discussion between Command Centre and the ref. (Ambrosie has previously spoken about letting viewers see the same replays the booth is seeing, in real time.) I would be fine with the league going back to in-game interviews with players. I would like the league to consider the XFL's clock rules (25-second play clock) altho based on yesterday there is not yet any indication that it either speeds up the game appreciably or results in more snaps. The two-forward-pass rule (as long as first lands behind the line of scrimmage) seems like a decent enough innovation altho I didn't see anyone try it yesterday.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    No doubt more dink and dunk boring offense by Trestman with his horrible play calling.
    It’s official, “The Professor” has fallen from grace.
    Immediate observation watching this game, Trestman runs the offence while his “OC” Jaime Elizondo idly stands beside him.
    Last edited by Argo57; 02-09-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    It’s official, “The Professor” has fallen from grace.
    Immediate observation watching this game, Trestman runs the offence while his “OC” Jaime Elizondo idly stands beside him.
    Tampa Bay qb and for member of the AAF Atlanta Legends, Aaron Murray, is on pace for a 300 yard game. Not sure how much more I can watch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Tampa Bay qb and for member of the AAF Atlanta Legends, Aaron Murray, is on pace for a 300 yard game. Not sure how much more I can watch.
    Any Luis Perez sightings?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I’ve bailed on this one long ago.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Any Luis Perez sightings?
    No, but he is ready I am sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I’ve bailed on this one long ago.
    Game lasted 3 hours which is not suppose to happen in the XFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Game lasted 3 hours which is not suppose to happen in the XFL.
    Both of yesterday's games also surpassed three hours; so much for that idea.

I didn't watch today's early game but I gather it did not go well for Trestman's team. I just had on whichever US sports radio network TSN1050 was running this evening, and they (presumably after watching the game) were ripping Trestman and being extremely sarcastic about him.

It is sort of funny that some here were calling him "the Professor" a couple of years ago.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes I only could stand to watch this trainwreck for a few minutes. Nothing changed with Marc calling the brutal plays, his OC again picking his nose and good old Jerry G. being interviewed with sunglasses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Every dog has its day. To assert that Marc Trestman was never a good coach... is revisionist and off-base.

Football, like hockey, is becoming a younger Coaches game. This guy played a huge roll in a Cup win in Toronto and I think he deserves a little more respect frankly.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Every dog has its day. To assert that Marc Trestman was never a good coach... is revisionist and off-base.

Football, like hockey, is becoming a younger Coaches game. This guy played a huge roll in a Cup win in Toronto and I think he deserves a little more respect frankly.
    Agreed. He's just very stubborn.

I see all of his receivers are huge, something he likes, while both the CFL and even the NFL now are using smaller guys that can break ankles when changing direction. No secret that a guy like Chandler Worthy injected some life into the Argos late last season. Trestman never seemed to open up to him or Baylon Addison, or Mario Alford.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I would like the league to consider the XFL's clock rules (25-second play clock) altho based on yesterday there is not yet any indication that it either speeds up the game appreciably or results in more snaps. .
    We discussed this on twitter yesterday, but I will address it again. The XFL, as well as many close minded CFL fans, believe the BS about the shorter play clock (25 or 20 seconds) being a faster paced game. It used to be true in the CFL before roster expansion and tons of substitutions between plays, but it's not the case. I have observed this at CFL games where the officials often take about 15-20 seconds after the conclusion of the previous play to blow in the 20 second clock, yet the game clock has been ticking the whole time. The 40 second in the NFL guarantees no more than 40 seconds between the whistle to end the previous play and the next snap. In the CFL, they lose a lot of play clock while the officials wait to blow in the next play. And don't get me started on the play clock ticking between a TD and the convert unless it's the last 3 minutes of a half.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post

For the record, I have always respected (and more than once, even after he was fired) praised Trestman for leading us to a very unexpected and extremely satisfying Cup win. I've also ripped him for becoming a stubborn, my-way-or-the-highway coach the following season, and for treating some individuals around him (including one employee who reportedly quit on the spot after being verbally abused by Trestman) with disdain bordering on contempt. IMO his dismissal was deserved, notwithstanding the success he had just one year earlier. And also for the record, I was critical of the "Professor" nickname even when he was still in all of our good books.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    We discussed this on twitter yesterday, but I will address it again. The XFL, as well as many close minded CFL fans, believe the BS about the shorter play clock (25 or 20 seconds) being a faster paced game. It used to be true in the CFL before roster expansion and tons of substitutions between plays, but it's not the case. I have observed this at CFL games where the officials often take about 15-20 seconds after the conclusion of the previous play to blow in the 20 second clock, yet the game clock has been ticking the whole time. The 40 second in the NFL guarantees no more than 40 seconds between the whistle to end the previous play and the next snap. In the CFL, they lose a lot of play clock while the officials wait to blow in the next play. And don't get me started on the play clock ticking between a TD and the convert unless it's the last 3 minutes of a half.
    This is 100% correct. It's insane how much time is wasted by the CFL's clock rules. I haven't been able to figure out when these changes were made but I believe it relates to the increase in roster sizes and coaches' insistence on being able to substitute guys in and out on every play. In the days of 34- or 36-man rosters, your starting 12 played virtually every down and there was no reason not to start the 20-second play clock as soon as the ball was placed. Now refs watch the sidelines and decide when all the subs are in, then start it. I've watched the scoreboard at some games and it's not uncommon to see 40 or even 45 seconds of playing time run off between a whistle stopping a play and the next snap. If I could change one thing about this league, it would be to change the clock rules to force more actual plays during games. That's what we're there to see -- football being played, not guys running off and on the field while the clock continues to run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agreed. He's just very stubborn.

I see all of his receivers are huge, something he likes, while both the CFL and even the NFL now are using smaller guys that can break ankles when changing direction. No secret that a guy like Chandler Worthy injected some life into the Argos late last season. Trestman never seemed to open up to him or Baylon Addison, or Mario Alford.
    For sure, older Coaches don't seem very fluid in their methodology. They'll stick with the same thing over and over and over because it's what got em there, which precludes flexibility. I think the example you use here is a very good one. They overlooked some good players, likely due to a Coach set in his ways.

I think this is the crux of the issue that began to show it's ugly face in how Popp and Trestman were not on the same page anymore.

Losing always does it.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No surprise here.

Matthew Scianitti
    @TSNScianitti

Longtime 10K yard #CFL receiver SJ Green will sign with the XFL today. Green signs deal with XFL primary ownernship group and will enter the league waiver wire where his rights will be picked-up by a team at the top of the wire. SJ Green's deal will run through May 31 2020 #XFL

12:51 PM - Feb 10, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

73 people are talking about this