Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Good point.
    Nothing has been announced either way, I wonder if there is still some internal debate happening within the management team?
    If Chamblin stays it's because Manning does not want to pay CC to leave.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If Chamblin stays it's because Manning does not want to pay CC to leave.
    I guess the Corp is tapped out because they have to pay Babs not to coach the Leafs.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Chamblin stays, and I really hope he doesn't, it's because Pinball wants to give him another chance. IMO, Manning and the coaches cap has nothing to do with it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If Chamblin stays, and I really hope he doesn't, it's because Pinball wants to give him another chance. IMO, Manning and the coaches cap has nothing to do with it.
    Exactly. Right now CC hasn't failed Pinball so Pinball won't go through the "optics" of firing someone who hasn't failed him. How anyone could be surprised by this from Pinball after watching him the last 20 years is beyond me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Even Steve Simmons wrote that if the Argos keep Chamblin that shows Manning knows nothing about football. Not suggesting the coaches cap is in play, but I think Manning isn't going to spend a a good chunk of change for CC to go away when the Argos don't generate income for MLSE.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Exactly. Right now CC hasn't failed Pinball so Pinball won't go through the "optics" of firing someone who hasn't failed him. How anyone could be surprised by this from Pinball after watching him the last 20 years is beyond me.
    Well I guess I am beyond you then Ron....I'm thinking Manning is calling the shot on this one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Contrary to what you have posted he would never look at this from his perspective alone, he’s all about what is best for the team.
    No doubt Clemons will have final say on this but I’m sure he has had many collaborative discussions with the appropriate people.
    Last edited by Argo57; 11-29-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think a lesson was learned when Trestman was fired hastily on the telephone. I expect lots of thoughtful changes. To me, the absence of interest in other coaches, John Murphy as Asst. GM, and the lack of urgency, leads me to conclude that “Pinball” will be next year’s HC.

I have no basis for saying this other than a conclusion based on the series of recent events. I am sure the highest level of urgency for change is currently prevalent at the Argos.

The lack of activity and urgency leads me to believe the HC is locked up. If this was the case, the Argos would Be putting into place a ”John Hufnagel” type of organization that made Calgary so successful for so long. Only recently was Dave Dickenson elevated to HC. I’m sure system that the system appealed to the Stamps’ owners, the Flames, That was so successful for so long would appeal to MLSE.

Here’s hoping.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Even Steve Simmons wrote that if the Argos keep Chamblin that shows Manning knows nothing about football. Not suggesting the coaches cap is in play, but I think Manning isn't going to spend a a good chunk of change for CC to go away when the Argos don't generate income for MLSE.
    But IMO, if Pinball didn’t have the authority to make moves he felt necessary, he would never have taken the job in the first place. I’ve grown to like Steve Simmons, but I think a comment like that is just over sensationalizing his point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    But IMO, if Pinball didn’t have the authority to make moves he felt necessary, he would never have taken the job in the first place. I’ve grown to like Steve Simmons, but I think a comment like that is just over sensationalizing his point.
    Yes, that crossed my mind too....CFL teams do have a "Mulligan" they can use regarding the coaches cap, but for some reason I just think Manning is trying to avoid paying a HC not to coach for a second year in a row. Not optimistic the team can assemble a good staff of assistants if CC stays, which it appears he is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, that crossed my mind too....CFL teams do have a "Mulligan" they can use regarding the coaches cap, but for some reason I just think Manning is trying to avoid paying a HC not to coach for a second year in a row. Not optimistic the team can assemble a good staff of assistants if CC stays, which it appears he is.
    I suspect any “high end” coordinator will explore other options before looking at the Argos if Chamblin indeed returns.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I suspect any “high end” coordinator will explore other options before looking at the Argos if Chamblin indeed returns.
    A high end coordinator won't leave a current gig for anything less than a HC job, so it wouldn't matter who the HC is. You're either going to get an experienced coordinator who is currently out of work (like last year), or you go outside the box and try and get a current position coach looking for the next step up in a career (perhaps Buck Pierce?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A high end coordinator won't leave a current gig for anything less than a HC job, so it wouldn't matter who the HC is. You're either going to get an experienced coordinator who is currently out of work (like last year), or you go outside the box and try and get a current position coach looking for the next step up in a career (perhaps Buck Pierce?)
    I like your thinking, but I sense LaPo will move on from Winnipeg and OSH will promote Buck to OC, which he deserves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The only way a "high end" coordinator comes to Toronto is if he is currently out of the league. Mike Benevedes comes to mind as DC and perhaps Assistant HC. Maybe Chapdelaine stays on as well since him and CC have a history together. I don't like where this is going.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That’s fair Angelo.
    Should have been more clear, I was talking more about promising prospective coordinators such as Dinwiddie, Pierce and Mueller from Calgary.
    Up and comers who maybe ready to take the next step, my sense is they will want to join a stable situation which may not be the Argos if Chamblin is perceived as a lame duck coach.
    I still find it odd that the Argos have not clarified their direction for the 2020 season?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The only way a "high end" coordinator comes to Toronto is if he is currently out of the league. Mike Benevedes comes to mind as DC and perhaps Assistant HC. Maybe Chapdelaine stays on as well since him and CC have a history together. I don't like where this is going.
    I don’t like it either, as the old saying goes “you snooze you lose”.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I still find it odd that the Argos have not clarified their direction for the 2020 season?
    That is my problem with all of this, as well. Either he is coming back, or he isn't, and the team is exploring all of the options. Make an announcement! I don't think anyone on here thinks he should be back, but if he is, let the world know. The current vacuum doesn't look good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I've made my peace with the idea of Chamblin coming back.It would primarily be a lame duck situation to save money. I'm concerned about the coordinator positions. Chamblin would be looking over his shoulder all of training camp thru game 6.I don't want Steve McAdoo or Noel Thorpe here trying to create a soap opera situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    IMO it is unrealistic to think that a decision of this magnitude would be made without both Manning and Pinball being in agreement. As CEO, Manning has overall responsibility within MLSE for the franchise, and would almost certainly need corporate approval to eat another contract and/or to incur a league penalty and/or to ignore league rules. As GM, Pinball obviously needs to be on board with the coaching staff. Whatever ends up happening, I believe both Manning and Pinball will agree on, but we will probably never know whose idea it was originally.

As someone suggested earlier, it's entirely plausible that Manning's hands have been tied by Head Office refusing to eat another contract. Considering the Argos likely didn't make their revenue targets this year, that seems like a good possibility. MLSE doesn't hesitate to spend a lot on its franchises that make a lot of money; Argos are an outlier, revenue-wise, and there's little evidence that MLSE would be as quick to spend unbudgeted money on them.

The fact it's taking so long for news to come out could mean any of several things: 1. Decision on CC has not yet been made; 2. Decision has been made, he is staying and the org will announce it when it is ready for the fallout from that announcement; 3. Decision has been made, he is leaving and the org is quietly talking to candidates; 4. Decision has been made, he is leaving, org has successor in place and will announce when it feels it's appropriate to do so; 5. Many other possibilities.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7