Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I strongly believe coaching changes have to be made, but I'm becoming very concerned about the timing as other teams are already approaching the strong choices. Is this why the team is not yet selling 2020 ST's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Boy, it's been now nearly one full business week after the GC and the silence is deafening.
    You hate to say the team is fiddling while Rome burns.....but what's going on.
    Especially like most of us have been saying and if it is true how Chamblin is out.
    We are going to miss out again on potential hotly in demand new hirings especially what's going on with the rest of the teams out their now interviewing to replace, not to mention the then second most important jobs of coordinators.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    [QUOTE=Argonut1996;147098]I strongly believe coaching changes have to be made, but I'm becoming very concerned about the timing as other teams are already approaching the strong choices. Is this why the team is not yet selling 2020 ST's.[/QUOTE]

That is a theory I've seen presented.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    There's little doubt mgmt. knows it can't sell tix without either a head coach or a QB signed. Getting the coach will be faster and easier than getting the QB. I expect we will have an announcement on the coach by early next week, with ST sales to start immediately thereafter. (Mind you, I also expected CC to be fired a day or two after the season ended.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Boy, it's been now nearly one full business week after the GC and the silence is deafening.
    You hate to say the team is fiddling while Rome burns.....but what's going on.
    Especially like most of us have been saying and if it is true how Chamblin is out.
    We are going to miss out again on potential hotly in demand new hirings especially what's going on with the rest of the teams out their now interviewing to replace, not to mention the then second most important jobs of coordinators.
    Does seem strange that things have gone quiet. Didn't Pinball kind give the impression he would take about two weeks to decide on a plan after the season. I can see waiting until after the GC but should have had everything in place to make a move this week. Makes me wonder if someone over ruled canning Chamblin with two years left on his contract. Maybe Pinball will have to take over as HC with Cory staying on as the highest paid defensive coordinator in the League.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The only way a "high end" coordinator comes to Toronto is if he is currently out of the league. Mike Benevedes comes to mind as DC and perhaps Assistant HC. Maybe Chapdelaine stays on as well since him and CC have a history together. I don't like where this is going.
    don't like where this is going either. Sorry but Chapdelaine HAS to GO. If they both stay then what has pinball done!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    don't like where this is going either. Sorry but Chapdelaine HAS to GO. If they both stay then what has pinball done!!
    Yes Chaps offense was as bad as Chamblin's defense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    As posted in the other thread about Wilder but he has some harsh criticism for the Argos coaching staff:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5eeo43XNr0

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wonder how they got the clip of Matt Dunigan throwing to Pinball in the 1991 Eastern Final , although I was able to get a full copy of that game through another source.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm waiting for the big announcement that Orlando Steinaeur (sp) is coaching the Ticats next season. No wait? There's no announcement because he's under contract and hasn't been fired ... so no reason to make such a silly announcement. (Much to the chagrin of the rabid small part of the fanbase that want him run out of town)

Pinball is back. I won't be crapping all over the first things he does ... or doesn't do. The Bombers ended up lucky they didn't listen to the fans about O'Shea early in his tenure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm waiting for the big announcement that Orlando Steinaeur (sp) is coaching the Ticats next season. No wait? There's no announcement because he's under contract and hasn't been fired ... so no reason to make such a silly announcement. (Much to the chagrin of the rabid small part of the fanbase that want him run out of town)

Pinball is back. I won't be crapping all over the first things he does ... or doesn't do. The Bombers ended up lucky they didn't listen to the fans about O'Shea early in his tenure.
    Did you watch the Grey Cup?
    Surprised Steinauer still has a job after Hamilton’s performance.😛
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Did you watch the Grey Cup?
    Surprised Steinauer still has a job after Hamilton’s performance.
    Comparing the job status of a HC of a 4-14 team to a HC of a 15-3 team seems odd. There is strong speculation that CC could get let go. The Argos will confirm if indeed he returns in 2020 or is relieved of his duties.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Comparing the job status of a HC of a 4-14 team to a HC of a 15-3 team seems odd. There is strong speculation that CC could get let go. The Argos will confirm if indeed he returns in 2020 or is relieved of his duties.
    Agree with you.
    What is odd is questioning (trolling) a fan base that has the nerve to want a coach removed after such a miserable season in which the team was often ill prepared and ended up 4-14.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Bombers ended up lucky they didn't listen to the fans about O'Shea early in his tenure.
    Difference being O’Shea was a first time head coach who improved year after year. Chamblin seemed to have peeked as a head coach really early and has regressed every year he’s has been one since.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    One of the reasons CC might be retained is mgmt. might believe he was hamstrung by too many responsibilities this year as both HC and DC. In theory, give him a DC and allow him to concentrate on head coaching and he might be fine.

But . . .

A head coach (who is not also a coordinator) has the following responsibilities:

1. Select the right coordinators and other assistants, and let them do their jobs
    2. Select the right players (from whatever players the GM provides) and let them do their jobs
    3. Sign off on game plans developed by the coordinators
    4. Motivate the team and keep everyone pulling in the same direction throughout the long season and during games
    5. During games, make decisions on (a) penalties, (b) challenges, (c) third-down gambles, (d) use of time-outs

There are no doubt other aspects to the job, but those seem to be the main ones. Granted it might be difficult to properly evaluate CC since he was also the DC, but IMO he did well only on No. 4 -- keeping the team motivated and together. He was abysmal on in-game decision-making, his choice of coordinators was poor, his deployment of personnel was often questionable (e.g. going back to Franklin, keeping Kanneh, Covington and others in the defence, starting the season with Poop at DT and Wild at OLB) and the game planning was terrible for most of the season altho it seemed to get better over the final six to eight games.

I just don't see a good case to retain him. If he's retained primarily because he has built an alliance with Murphy, and Pinball hasn't yet been failed by him, that's a recipe for failure IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    One of the reasons CC might be retained is mgmt. might believe he was hamstrung by too many responsibilities this year as both HC and DC. In theory, give him a DC and allow him to concentrate on head coaching and he might be fine.

But . . .

A head coach (who is not also a coordinator) has the following responsibilities:

1. Select the right coordinators and other assistants, and let them do their jobs
    2. Select the right players (from whatever players the GM provides) and let them do their jobs
    3. Sign off on game plans developed by the coordinators
    4. Motivate the team and keep everyone pulling in the same direction throughout the long season and during games
    5. During games, make decisions on (a) penalties, (b) challenges, (c) third-down gambles, (d) use of time-outs

There are no doubt other aspects to the job, but those seem to be the main ones. Granted it might be difficult to properly evaluate CC since he was also the DC, but IMO he did well only on No. 4 -- keeping the team motivated and together. He was abysmal on in-game decision-making, his choice of coordinators was poor, his deployment of personnel was often questionable (e.g. going back to Franklin, keeping Kanneh, Covington and others in the defence, starting the season with Poop at DT and Wild at OLB) and the game planning was terrible for most of the season altho it seemed to get better over the final six to eight games.

I just don't see a good case to retain him. If he's retained primarily because he has built an alliance with Murphy, and Pinball hasn't yet been failed by him, that's a recipe for failure IMO.
    There really is no case to retain Chamblin.
    The whole Pinball hasn’t been failed by him premise is a load of crap IMO since Clemons was up close and personal in witnessing the 2019 debacle which most importantly failed the Toronto Argonauts and their fans.
    Last edited by Argo57; 12-01-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I suspect that prior to being hired, “Pinball” must have made his vision of the 2020 Argos season. I can’t see that that case included a “status” quo proposal for next year.

Also, the Argos decision comes after the in-season dismantling of much of the Montreal Alouettes management. The Als carried out a very successful restructure improved on field performance and ticket sales at the same time.

Like mentioned here, season ticket sales have to start soon. An announcement should be expected soon.

I saw that Mike O’Shea is highly expected to sign with the Blue Bombers. He also was highly expected to sign with the Ticats years ago. I am sure he knows how much he is wanted here.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I saw that Mike O’Shea is highly expected to sign with the Blue Bombers. He also was highly expected to sign with the Ticats years ago. I am sure he knows how much he is wanted here.
    Dec 31 is the date his contract expires. He and Walters can say all the right things about wanting to stay/wanting him back, but if that Dec 31 day approaches, and he is still unsigned, I suspect O'Shea will explore all options available. To me, the fact that they let him go into the season without an extension is a bit of a slap in the face. Successful coaches are rarely put into this situation.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Dec 31 is the date his contract expires. He and Walters can say all the right things about wanting to stay/wanting him back, but if that Dec 31 day approaches, and he is still unsigned, I suspect O'Shea will explore all options available. To me, the fact that they let him go into the season without an extension is a bit of a slap in the face. Successful coaches are rarely put into this situation.
    MOS is coming out of this way ahead, that's for sure. Winning the Grey Cup while working without the safety net of a contract beyond 2019 means he has set himself up for a very healthy pay increase and/or a nice long-term guaranteed contract. I still don't see him leaving Wpg but I guess we'll know in the next few weeks.