Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Anyhow - a lot of Canadian D talent and versatility there it seems = nice problem to have; wonder how it affects draft thinking - load up on O-linemen as per CFL standard thinking ?
    Since TO has three of the first eleven picks, it'll be fun to find out! My vote would be for OL (duh), WR (since we've committed to starting NATs there), and BPA in whichever order makes sense at the time.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    This is unbelievable. I'd love to see the Argos start 9 or 10 Canadians. It would leave them in great position to substitute throughout games and not have any drop off.
    It is... pretty damned cool. Despite losing our top two Canadian starters (and others) our NAT skill level seems to be significantly improved. If S Richards, Simba, or Hunter (*cough*) have great camps it might be even more fun.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Hoping some of the Argo moves trickle down to the local media and generate a little discussion amongst football fans. Seems worthy imo. Would have to think this leads to a few season tickets being sold.

Many moves to like. Bazzie and Roh providing veteran help with the pass rush is an underrated move imo. Ryan Dinwiddie likely involved with Davaris Daniels and Juwan Brescascin coming aboard to a crowded receivers position right now. Both good players. Probably signals the last of Armanti Edwards and Rodney Smith as Argos although I think they both can play somewhere.

I would love to see Matt Nichols lead an aggressive downfield attack and utilize the players to the best of their abilities. Cross my fingers on that. Blake and Bladek were nice to see gone from Sask's lineup and will help keep Matty Ice cool and safe. Blake can play and Bladek is young, so no downside that I see. Lots to like so far. Hoping they play well together as a team.

Martese Jackson worth a look at returner imo.
    Last edited by carlos; 02-12-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Now Chris Ackie signed too = wow ! Lokombo, Ackie & Shorthill added to the D (the 1st can play LB or in the D-backfield) along with Colquhon & Foote; not sure i can recall the Argos going for this much Canadian D talent ever before ? Be interestin' to see how many of them play much on the new D.
    Great first day of Free Agency for the Argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos acquire LB Jordan Moore from Ticats

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/12/argos-...-moore-ticats/
    Last edited by Skinny G; 02-12-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Day 2 of free agency is relatively quiet so far. Pinball and Murphy must be catching their breath after yesterday's shopping bonanza.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos confirm signing of Nevis and Ackie and release Conteh

https://www.argonauts.ca/2020/02/12/...l-drake-nevis/

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I don't know where they are finding the money to sign all these guys, but I love it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Just signed another fairly young Canadian DB - Denzel Radford. Looks like he's also a strong special teams player too.

https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/sta...340562432?s=20

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This is an interesting interview with Murphy. Particularly pleased to hear his comments re O'Connor near the end of the interview.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/13/fa20-j...-for-everyone/
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    If the Punter spot is addressed, I can see a good season in store on Special Teams. Lots of hungry, young athletes in house now. Let Llevi led them.

This FA period has Pinball philosophy written all over it.

'The city is not for everyone, lets find players who WANT to play in Toronto, culture, culture, culture. Positive, positive, positive. Give good Canadians an equal chance, build that base.'

One thing about the CFL is that all great teams are led by some Canadians. You need one or two who are the best players on the team.

One thing that I really liked about the Trestman/Popp regime was the message of family, good citizens and positive preaching. Sadly, as it turns out, it wasn't as positive inside as was being stated on the outside.

I have heard some of these whispers, and have been for a while now.

With Pinball, you get honest, earnest passionate positivity.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    If the Punter spot is addressed, I can see a good season in store on Special Teams. Lots of hungry, young athletes in house now. Let Llevi led them.

This FA period has Pinball philosophy written all over it.

'The city is not for everyone, lets find players who WANT to play in Toronto, culture, culture, culture. Positive, positive, positive. Give good Canadians an equal chance, build that base.'

One thing about the CFL is that all great teams are led by some Canadians. You need one or two who are the best players on the team.

One thing that I really liked about the Trestman/Popp regime was the message of family, good citizens and positive preaching. Sadly, as it turns out, it wasn't as positive inside as was being stated on the outside.

I have heard some of these whispers, and have been for a while now.

With Pinball, you get honest, earnest passionate positivity.
    Yes. And can you imagine the positive influence Pinner is going to have on Dinwiddie? The HC has likely already learned a lot under Hufnagel and Dickenson, but Pinball has so much wisdom to impart.

I was also interested to hear Murphy talk about how Adjei is kind of a social convenor among players from the Toronto area. It can't hurt to have a guy on the team (who is a legitimate player) who can help teammates bond with one another year-round.

And it's worth remembering that the Argos are actively working to help players find fulfilling off-season and post-football careers. They have already started working with local law enforcement and fire services in this regard. Once a few players find good off-season jobs that might lead somewhere long-term, the "big city" might become a selling point rather than an expensive proposition.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yes. And can you imagine the positive influence Pinner is going to have on Dinwiddie? The HC has likely already learned a lot under Hufnagel and Dickenson, but Pinball has so much wisdom to impart.

I was also interested to hear Murphy talk about how Adjei is kind of a social convenor among players from the Toronto area. It can't hurt to have a guy on the team (who is a legitimate player) who can help teammates bond with one another year-round.

And it's worth remembering that the Argos are actively working to help players find fulfilling off-season and post-football careers. They have already started working with local law enforcement and fire services in this regard. Once a few players find good off-season jobs that might lead somewhere long-term, the "big city" might become a selling point rather than an expensive proposition.
    I think you nailed the approach, and let that approach prevail all around. Become a community team. Aim at players like Nate, who want it for the 6ix and get them out there (we've seen that started). Outdo baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer in this area. Be inexpensive and approachable. Start young and it will grow. I have thought for years now that Pinball is the one person, on this planet, who can actually pull this off.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Am I right thinking Ackie, Brer Woods, and Knox Jr. will be the linebackers?

Ian Wild might be a good under the radar, rotational guy and special teams player and still not that old.

So many guys and so few spots. Solid addition with Nevis.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Passcatcher View Post
    Am I right thinking Ackie, Brer Woods, and Knox Jr. will be the linebackers?

Ian Wild might be a good under the radar, rotational guy and special teams player and still not that old.

So many guys and so few spots. Solid addition with Nevis.
    I'm betting Knox will not make it out of camp (possibly not even makes it TO camp). Ackie, Shorthill, Onyeka, Kwemo... The Argos are stacked at the position with Canadians. I think Knox was in their plans before they were able to sign Ackie and Shorthill. Look for either Darby or one of the many American FA rookie signings to play the SAM spot.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting bit of casual info---Rocket Ismail is T J Jones godfather. Wheels within wheels.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos trade Boris Bede for Tyler Crapigna

https://www.argonauts.ca/2020/02/13/...bede-montreal/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    Argos trade Boris Bede for Tyler Crapigna

https://www.argonauts.ca/2020/02/13/...bede-montreal/
    Well, I guess the Argos plan to use 1 kicker this year. I like the trade as I think Bede is a great punter and statistically has been a good FG kicker too, although he can make you nervous at times. Love his leg though.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm betting Knox will not make it out of camp (possibly not even makes it TO camp). Ackie, Shorthill, Onyeka, Kwemo... The Argos are stacked at the position with Canadians. I think Knox was in their plans before they were able to sign Ackie and Shorthill. Look for either Darby or one of the many American FA rookie signings to play the SAM spot.
    Lokombo was actually a Will OLB for most of his CFL career till Loffler got injured last year and the Als tried Lokombo at S; but with the signings of Ackie & Shorthill, i think this suggests that Lokombo will be at S (but i guess he could play MLB too) ?, or i guess Ackie could play S (played some there when first with the Als)? Onyeka is a Will OLB type; Kwemo is a big natural MLB type (who i think would be a fine #2 guy behind a vet (Bear Woods?) or even challenge for the starting job there. Knox and Wild = ??? SAM OLB is really just a converted DB to pretty well all CFL teams now - not sure if Ackie could play there as well ?

Anywho - lots of talent/depth and versatility there, and be interesting to see how it plays out; I'll guess Ackie/Shorthill at OLB, with Lokombo at S; even more interesting to see if Colquhon & Woodson will both get a shot to start in the D-backfield - i really doubt it cause 3 NIs starting in a CFL D-backfield nowdays would be ultra mind-boggling.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well, I guess the Argos plan to use 1 kicker this year. I like the trade as I think Bede is a great punter and statistically has been a good FG kicker too, although he can make you nervous at times. Love his leg though.

Obvious the Als are going to go with dual kickers cause Crapigna is just a place kicker; i really hope the Argos go with dual kickers too cause just one is risky IMO; Bede is a good punter, has an all-time strong kick-off leg, but his FG kicking has had periods of bad/very shaky.

With all their draft picks, the Argos could think of drafting Western's dual kicker (outstanding at both) Marc Legghio - who could win one or both jobs with the Argos (and be on a rookie entry contract)